PDA

View Full Version : Rowand Leading Off?


fledgedrallycap
03-18-2004, 10:38 AM
I mentioned this in an earlier thread and thought it deserved a little bit more visibility.

If Willie Harris continues to struggle and Uribe follows with similiar results, what about Aaron Rowand leading off?

He's been hitting very well since late last year, has better than average speed and would rather see his bat near the top than burried at the bottom of the order.

Thoughts?

MRKARNO
03-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Rowand's inability to take a walk from time to time probably prevents him from being the best option in the leadoff role, but that doesnt mean that we wont see him leadoff this year a lot. Alfonso Soriano has found a lot of sucess in the leadoff role without taking a lot of walks.

MisterB
03-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I mentioned this in an earlier thread and thought it deserved a little bit more visibility.

If Willie Harris continues to struggle and Uribe follows with similiar results, what about Aaron Rowand leading off?

He's been hitting very well since late last year, has better than average speed and would rather see his bat near the top than burried at the bottom of the order.

Thoughts?

He may have above average speed, but doesn't steal bases. He doesn't draw walks, so unless he maintains a .300+ average (which he's NEVER done for a full season at ANY level), he won't be on base enough to warrant the leadoff spot.

hold2dibber
03-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Rowand's a lousy choice for the leadoff spot because, as others have noted, he doesn't get on base enough. But with that said, if Harris and Uribe both bomb (which is a distinct possibility), the Sox don't have many other options. Under those circumstances, Rowand probably gets it by default, assuming he is at least respectable at the plate.

maurice
03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
As discussed frequently here, the Sox have no prototypical leadoff hitter. Their best on-base guys are middle-of-the-order types. Everybody else would struggle to post a .330 OBP.

Depending on how the season progresses, Rowand may be the tallest midget.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2004, 12:32 PM
It's too bad that Reed is struggling due to injury. I know that he isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter (ideally he projects to a #2 hitter, right?), but if he meets his potential, given his ability to take walks, he would be the best option among players currently on the roster, right?

akingamongstmen
03-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
It's too bad that Reed is struggling due to injury. I know that he isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter (ideally he projects to a #2 hitter, right?), but if he meets his potential, given his ability to take walks, he would be the best option among players currently on the roster, right?

Probably, but he, like the other guys that could potentially lead off, has never done anything at the big league level. The lead off spot is pretty much a crapshoot, and we can only sit back and hope for the best.

ode to veeck
03-18-2004, 01:11 PM
There's also a risk moving Rowand to leadoff (if it happens through Harris/Uribe default), in that he may not do as well there as what he's doing further on down the lineup. He's clearly not a match for ldesired eadoff skills (OBP, steals etc). This hole at leadoff has been killing the Sox run production the last couple of years.

duke of dorwood
03-18-2004, 01:13 PM
I 'd like Rowand batting second

sas1974
03-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
It's too bad that Reed is struggling due to injury. I know that he isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter (ideally he projects to a #2 hitter, right?), but if he meets his potential, given his ability to take walks, he would be the best option among players currently on the roster, right?

Right now, it appears that Reed is just struggling, period. He claims that he's healthy. He doesn't seem like the type to make excuses, so he may be down playing the wrist a little bit. I think in the same article where he states that he's healthy, he also mentions that he's just having a little trouble w/ his swing at the moment. That's certainly excusable for his first big league camp.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
This hole at leadoff has been killing the Sox run production the last couple of years.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if the Sox had kept their two home-grown top-of-the-order hitters in Mike Cameron and Ray Durham. Funny how 2B and CF are the holes among their starting nine as well. :angry:

rdivaldi
03-18-2004, 02:03 PM
While Ray was a decent lead-off hitter (he went into week long slumps that killed our offense), you're crazy if you think Mike Cameron could EVER be a lead off hitter. He bats .250 with 130 strikeouts in a GOOD season.

I have yet to figure out why any Sox fan misses "The Great" Mike Cameron.

RedPinStripes
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
This team is going to have a quite a few spots given to people that didnt earn it. Harris is no second baseman and he'll probably lead off just because he's fast. To me, Harris is a bench player until he can learn to get on base. He dont even need to be a great hitter. Just bunt , move runners over and walk.

Rowand is having his little hot streak in spring, but everyone has to remember that he'll have to face MLB pitching in less then a month. Pitchers that know how to fool hitters with no patience. And Rowand as a CF , HA!

Showenweise sucks. I dont care what pitches he's working on, he's not a starter. He'll be in the rotation as a 4 man and that's ugly.

Danny Wrong sucks too eventhough some like him because he throws 5 pitches. The problem is he still sucks !

A nice #2 hitter for this team is Carlos Lee IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I have yet to figure out why any Sox fan misses "The Great" Mike Cameron.

He'd be a heck of a lot better than what Aaron Rowand has showed so far during regular-season games.

Kuzman
03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Rowand's inability to take a walk from time to time probably prevents him from being the best option in the leadoff role, but that doesnt mean that we wont see him leadoff this year a lot. Alfonso Soriano has found a lot of sucess in the leadoff role without taking a lot of walks.

ya but rowand is no soriano

maurice
03-18-2004, 02:55 PM
There have been a few good leadoff hitters who don't take a lot of walks (Suzuki), but they all hit for a very high average to make up for it. Rowand's not likely to do either, though there's a good chance that he can keep his AVE between .270 and .290, and outstrip the meager in-house competition.

Cameron's career AVE is only .250, but he walks and steals enough to be a better candidate than anybody on the Sox, particularly now that he's out of Safeco. He's also a very good defensive player.

Realist
03-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Aaron Rowand is going to be battling it out for the top batting average in the American League. By June he'll be leading off and all the little dollies at Comiskey are going to be wearing Rowand jerseys. You heard it here first, folks. :D:

Willie Harris has me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs though. 2nd base is starting to look more and more like a glaring hole to me every day.

SoxxoS
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I think Carlos Lee is a staple at the #2 spot, so we are fine there. But I am concerned about leadoff as well. Willie Harris hasn't shown me anything in 2 years.

MisterB
03-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Aaron Rowand is going to be battling it out for the top batting average in the American League. By June he'll be leading off and all the little dollies at Comiskey are going to be wearing Rowand jerseys. You heard it here first, folks. :D:

You are either teal impared or certifiably insane....

Realist
03-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
You are either teal impared or certifiably insane....

I split kings when the dealer is showing a bust card. There's your answer. :D:

rdivaldi
03-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
He'd be a heck of a lot better than what Aaron Rowand has showed so far during regular-season games.

Yeah, better at whiffing 150 times. Cameron's lifetime OBP is .343, pretty good but definitely not great. I bet Rowand could approach that number if given a shot.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
You are either teal impared or certifiably insane....

POTW!

sas1974
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I split kings when the dealer is showing a bust card. There's your answer. :D:

Then I would imagine you spend a lot of time sitting at a black jack table alone. :D:

hold2dibber
03-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Yeah, better at whiffing 150 times. Cameron's lifetime OBP is .343, pretty good but definitely not great. I bet Rowand could approach that number if given a shot.

I guess we'll see, but I highly doubt that Rowand will post an OBP in that range. Also, remember that Cameron has played for the last 5 years or so in a giant pitcher's ball park - his road OBP, I believe, is higher. Also, he (unlike Rowand) is a great defensive CF and steals bases. He also has more power - Rowand is a 20 HR threat, but likely (IMHO) will end up closer to 15. Cameron is a 25 HR/year kind of guy. Rowand isn't even close to being in the same class as Cameron and never will be.

Frater Perdurabo
03-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I guess we'll see, but I highly doubt that Rowand will post an OBP in that range. Also, remember that Cameron has played for the last 5 years or so in a giant pitcher's ball park - his road OBP, I believe, is higher. Also, he (unlike Rowand) is a great defensive CF and steals bases. He also has more power - Rowand is a 20 HR threat, but likely (IMHO) will end up closer to 15. Cameron is a 25 HR/year kind of guy. Rowand isn't even close to being in the same class as Cameron and never will be.

Thanks for having my back on this, dibber!

soxfan26
03-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I 'd like Rowand batting second

I'd like to see Rowand batting 2nd in Cleveland's lineup.

Chrisaway
03-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Willie harris is on the 60 day dl in my MVP 2004 season and I've been leading off Crash (not like this really matters).