PDA

View Full Version : Some Positive Spring Stats

fledgedrallycap
03-18-2004, 10:08 AM
A short article about how the Sox are actually fairing pretty well when you look at the first half of each game...

Scott Schoeneweis took the defeat Wednesday, just the second time this spring a Sox starter has lost a game. Mark Buehrle was the other .

the Sox had scored 37 runs in the first three innings, largely using their regular lineup, but just 34 runs after the third.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html

Jerko
03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
A short article about how the Sox are actually fairing pretty well when you look at the first half of each game...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html

So a negative guy such as myself could say; "that just means our bullpen and bench really suck".

anewman35
03-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
So a negative guy such as myself could say; "that just means our bullpen and bench really suck".

I think it's more that our minor leaguers really suck.

ode to veeck
03-18-2004, 10:32 AM
The run production's nice. It's not really been the same or consistent since the 2000 warmongers. Let's hope the "Ozzie Ball" continues ...

MisterB
03-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Jerko

Considering split-squads, most of our bench players have been starting, so the late innings have been full of fringe players and guys from the low minors, who aren't making the club anyway. I'd worry more if we weren't seeing the likes of Brandon Bounds, Pedro Lopez and Enemencio Pacheco regularly after the 4th inning.

Jerko
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Considering split-squads, most of our bench players have been starting, so the late innings have been full of fringe players and guys from the low minors, who aren't making the club anyway. I'd worry more if we weren't seeing the likes of Brandon Bounds, Pedro Lopez and Enemencio Pacheco regularly after the 4th inning.

I agree, I was just being negative; things are getting too cheery around here.

Mickster
03-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Starting 9 Batting Average to date:

1. Wee Willie .200
2. C Lee .417
3. Thomas .364
4. Maggs .333
5. Konerko .290
6. Rowand .522
7. Crede .400
8. Valentin .333
9. Olivo .444

All in all, pretty good this early. The glaring hole is obviously Willie with his .200 leading off. Uribe is not too much better at .241. I will take Walker's word that GDIPaulie has "found his groove" b/c his BA has creeped up the last 4-5 games.

What would it take to get Vidro from the Expo's? He would fit in nicely.... :(:

ode to veeck
03-18-2004, 10:47 AM
what's wee willie's obp?

fledgedrallycap
03-18-2004, 10:51 AM
I was thinking the other day, what about putting Rowand in the lead-off spot?

If Willie Harris doesn't pick it up and with Uribe as his only viable replacement, why not?

Rowand has better than average speed and makes contact more often than not. Put C-Lee behind him for protection and he'll get pitches to hit. It just seems you should try and capitolize at the top instead of burying him down in the bottom of the order.

MRKARNO
03-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
Starting 9 Batting Average to date:

1. Wee Willie .200
2. C Lee .417
3. Thomas .364
4. Maggs .333
5. Konerko .290
6. Rowand .522
7. Crede .400
8. Valentin .333
9. Olivo .444

Well when you put it that way, we're in pretty good shape

Starting Rotation ERA:

Buerhle 2.57
Loaiza 4.50
Garland 3.38
Schoenweis 8.18
Wright 2.79
Rauch 4.50
Grilli 3.27

Well the rotation looks in not bad shape....except for that joke of a pitcher schoenweis. Just take him out and insert Rauch or Grilli and the rotation looks pretty good too.

What would it take to get Vidro from the Expo's? He would fit in nicely.... :(:

A top prospect and an ownership willing to take on his ridiculously high salary of 5.5 mil

npdempse
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
what's wee willie's obp?

I dunno, but if he keeps grounding out on the first pitch like he did against Zambrano the other day, it can't be pretty.

What the heck kind of "lead off" hitter does that? :?:

SoxFan76
03-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I dunno, but if he keeps grounding out on the first pitch like he did against Zambrano the other day, it can't be pretty.

What the heck kind of "lead off" hitter does that? :?:

That is why I liked Alomar last year. I know his average dropped quite a bit, but along with his defense, he could take a lot of pitches. Unfortunately he couldn't get any hits. But he saw a lot of pitches, and that is the least you can ask from a leadoff hitter.

SoxBoy14
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Has Uribe got a chance to be a lead off hitter? And if so how did he do?

lowesox
03-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I think the three biggest positives from spring training are Konerko's recent turn around and Koch and Politte pitching well. If these three can put up good years, this team will be in much, much better shape.