PDA

View Full Version : Q on Sweeney


BackInBlack
03-17-2004, 07:18 PM
What's this guy's background info? I know, I should know. Seeing that he's 19, I'm assuming he was the Sox's 1st round draft pick last year? What's his ceiling looking like? 5-tool player or just a big bat at plate?

What do you guys consider as today's formula for success? In the playoffs, you most often hear about pitching, defense and hitting -- in that order. In Veeck's book, it seemed the general philosophy was built on pitching and then power hitting.

BackInBlack
03-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Additionally, I wrote for my school paper back in college. I always thought anytime you wanted to pluralize any word that ended in an X or a Z, you don't attach a an apostrophe s (" 's" ), but rather, just leave it at x or z. Any help from you grammar freaks? "Programmer? Programmer? Programer? I write code?" :-P

Daver
03-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
What's this guy's background info? I know, I should know. Seeing that he's 19, I'm assuming he was the Sox's 1st round draft pick last year? What's his ceiling looking like? 5-tool player or just a big bat at plate?


Sweeney was a second round pick out of Iowa,drafted out of HS.

In HS he was used both in the outfield,and as a pitcher,the Sox drafted him as an outfielder.

He is a good contact hitter that uses the whole field and has some pop,and can probably grow into a power hitting role.He does not posses great speed,and is not the second coming of Willie Mays in the outfield,but he can field the position.Even though he did pitch he does not have an overwhelming outfield arm,but it is more than adequate.

At this point he is a young prospect that needs time to fully develop his skills,he may turn out to be the next Jeremy Reed,or he could turn into another Aaron Rowand.

gogosoxgogo
03-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Sweeney was projected to go in the first round of the draft. It was shock when he fell to the White Sox with their pick in the 2nd round. We were lucky to get him in that sense.

SoxxoS
03-17-2004, 09:57 PM
He would be a (this isn't a word) "toolsier" player compared to Jeremy Reed, correct? Meaning, he is more of a tools guy...

Daver
03-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He would be a (this isn't a word) "toolsier" player compared to Jeremy Reed, correct? Meaning, he is more of a tools guy...

Reed is a lot closer to being a five tool player than Sweeney is,Sweeney is a hitter,that should develop some power,Reed is a batter that knows the zone and appreciates the walk,and he can use the basepaths.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Reed is a lot closer to being a five tool player than Sweeney is,Sweeney is a hitter,that should develop some power,Reed is a batter that knows the zone and appreciates the walk,and he can use the basepaths.

I think Sweeney has speed that would rival any RF'er in baseball. He won't ever be a CF'er, but at this juncture, he has good speed, particularly for a 6'4" 200 pound 19 year old.

IMO, Sweeney has more power potential due to his size and very fluid swing. I would have liked to have seen Reed, Borchard, or Anderson at 19 years old 9 months removed from HS in a state where they can only play 8 or 9 months out of the year...

He has a RF'ers arm, well above average speed for a RF'er, good eye at the plate, power POTENTIAL, will hit for average...

He still has to learn to take advantage of his strength and learn to drive the ball with carry. Sometimes guilty of slapping the ball instead of always looking to drive the ball. Not going to run like Willie Harris, but good natural instincts.

Much less experience than many 19-year-old professional baseball players yet confident and capable of competeing with players several years older...

I think Sweeney can be a Jeremy Reed-type player with more power, better arm, a tad less speed...

For some who haven't seen him, you'll instantly think of John Olerud when you see him at the plate.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
For some who haven't seen him, you'll instantly think of John Olerud when you see him at the plate.

Now this is a compliment!

Maximo
03-18-2004, 08:48 AM
I have an acquaintance who saw Sweeney play a couple of times during his high school summer days. After the Sox drafted him, he sent me an e-mail that very simply said, "this kid's got face".

Don't know if the term, "face", is used much anymore, but it is basically meant as a compliment meaning that a young player is mature as an athlete, in spite of his age.

I'm under the impression that this kid is "fearless". It may not guarantee long term success....but it's a start.

Randar68
03-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
I have an acquaintance who saw Sweeney play a couple of times during his high school summer days. After the Sox drafted him, he sent me an e-mail that very simply said, "this kid's got face".

Don't know if the term, "face", is used much anymore, but it is basically meant as a compliment meaning that a young player is mature as an athlete, in spite of his age.

I'm under the impression that this kid is "fearless". It may not guarantee long term success....but it's a start.

One of the reasons the last three highly touted prospects out of Iowa have been so scrutinized is due to their level of competition. It's often times hard to tell. If you'd only ever seen HS baseball in Illinois, you'd have thought Kris Honel was the next Mike Mussina (still may be). It's all relative, and it take a tremendous talent and a ton of work ethic to be high draft pick from states like ND, SD, IA, IL, Wisc, Minn, etc.

Mickster
03-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
One of the reasons the last three highly touted prospects out of Iowa have been so scrutinized is due to their level of competition. It's often times hard to tell. If you'd only ever seen HS baseball in Illinois, you'd have thought Kris Honel was the next Mike Mussina (still may be). It's all relative, and it take a tremendous talent and a ton of work ethic to be high draft pick from states like ND, SD, IA, IL, Wisc, Minn, etc.

Agreed....which makes Mauer look that much more impressive.

Chisoxfn
03-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think Sweeney has speed that would rival any RF'er in baseball. He won't ever be a CF'er, but at this juncture, he has good speed, particularly for a 6'4" 200 pound 19 year old.

IMO, Sweeney has more power potential due to his size and very fluid swing. I would have liked to have seen Reed, Borchard, or Anderson at 19 years old 9 months removed from HS in a state where they can only play 8 or 9 months out of the year...

He has a RF'ers arm, well above average speed for a RF'er, good eye at the plate, power POTENTIAL, will hit for average...

He still has to learn to take advantage of his strength and learn to drive the ball with carry. Sometimes guilty of slapping the ball instead of always looking to drive the ball. Not going to run like Willie Harris, but good natural instincts.

Much less experience than many 19-year-old professional baseball players yet confident and capable of competeing with players several years older...

I think Sweeney can be a Jeremy Reed-type player with more power, better arm, a tad less speed...

For some who haven't seen him, you'll instantly think of John Olerud when you see him at the plate.

When I caught Sweeney this spring, the first comparison that came to mind was Ken Griffey Jr. Now this is probably a very unfair comparison, but just looking at how fluid his swing was I didn't even think he was hitting the ball that far. Then I'd turn my head and look to see and the ball was getting clobbered out of the park.

For 19 the guy is impressive and I don't see the knock on his speed, I'm with Randar. The guy has plus speed for a right fielder. They had him timed in some of the camps and his speed was not much slower then some of the very fast guys that went early in last years draft.

I also think he's a solid outfielder. He has a nice arm, keeps the ball down, but of course still has some developing. If you ask me, Sweeney is now the 2nd best prospect in the organization, although I hate saying that without him at least getting more time in AA or high A ball (Which is where I think he'll start).

I was also very impressed by Anderson. Very fluid outfielder who has a good arm (Gunned a guy out one of the days I saw him play on a beautiful throw from center) and hit the ball well. Used all parts of the field well. Him and Sweeney seem to be very good friends, which is kind of cool cause I see them moving up the system like Dunn and Kearns did for the Reds.

Of course the Sox also have Clint King and Ricardo Nanita too. Those guys are sleepers since Anderson and Sweeney are getting so so talked about.

SoxFan76
03-18-2004, 09:03 PM
The Sox have an abundance of outfielders. Time to trade some of them away for some pitching.

MRKARNO
03-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
The Sox have an abundance of outfielders. Time to trade some of them away for some pitching.

The problem is that the one that we trade will end up becoming the best of the bunch and a league superstar.

batmanZoSo
03-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Daver


At this point he is a young prospect that needs time to fully develop his skills,he may turn out to be the next Jeremy Reed,or he could turn into another Aaron Rowand.

So in other words, someone who hasn't done jack or someone who's had some success at the big league level?

Randar68
03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
So in other words, someone who hasn't done jack or someone who's had some success at the big league level?

In other words, someone who's the top prospect in the organization and lead all the minors in OBP and Average at the appropriate level for his age and only his first full season as a pro...

or

Someone who hasn't done jack at any level, and at 27 years of age is still trying to fight for a roster spot with a major league club desperate for a competent CF'er...

Yeah.

batmanZoSo
03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
In other words, someone who's the top prospect in the organization and lead all the minors in OBP and Average at the appropriate level for his age and only his first full season as a pro...

or

Someone who hasn't done jack at any level, and at 27 years of age is still trying to fight for a roster spot with a major league club desperate for a competent CF'er...

Yeah.

That's one way to look at it. Especially the "fighting for a roster spot" part.

Rowand is a big leaguer and hasn't had a chance to prove himself. Last year was a bust because of the accident. This year will tell the tale. Of course Reed hasn't either but that's just my point. It's a bad comparison. It would be okay if Reed was a star on the White Sox right now. It would be fair to compare Reed and Borchard because they're both minor leaguers and one is a total stud lately and the other is heading quickly toward flopsville.

Randar68
03-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's one way to look at it. Especially the "fighting for a roster spot" part.

Rowand is a big leaguer and hasn't had a chance to prove himself. Last year was a bust because of the accident. This year will tell the tale. Of course Reed hasn't either but that's just my point. It's a bad comparison. It would be okay if Reed was a star on the White Sox right now. It would be fair to compare Reed and Borchard because they're both minor leaguers and one is a total stud lately and the other is heading quickly toward flopsville.

The thing I find absolutely hilarious about this whole bike accident crap, is that the "now he will prove himself" garbage seems to be totally overshadowing the fact that he never hit .300 or had a .350 OBP in Full-Time duty in ANY full-season league in the minors, but now, he's finally healthy from that vaunted bike accident and he's here to prove himself... TA DAAAAA!!!!


*****.

maurice
03-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
is still trying to fight for a roster spot with a major league club

Wow, that's a stretch.

Randar68
03-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Wow, that's a stretch.

Sorry, but the Sox have been continually trying to replace him for 3 seasons. It's not his fault he's the tallest midget at the moment. You don't think the minute Reed is hitting .315 at AAA that Rowand will be back to 4th outfielder???

maurice
03-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
is still trying to fight for a roster spot with a major league club

Originally posted by maurice
Wow, that's a stretch.

Originally posted by Randar68
You don't think the minute Reed is hitting .315 at AAA that Rowand will be back to 4th outfielder???

He sure will. He will not, however, be "fighting for a roster spot" any time soon. Reed should replace Rowand as the starting CF (assuming Maggs doesn't get traded), but he almost certainly will not bump Rowand off the 25-man roster.

I figure KW will hang on to Rowand until he's 38. Look at Sandy Alomar. He must think they're "grinders."

:)

batmanZoSo
03-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Sorry, but the Sox have been continually trying to replace him for 3 seasons. It's not his fault he's the tallest midget at the moment. You don't think the minute Reed is hitting .315 at AAA that Rowand will be back to 4th outfielder???

It's not about who's gonna be better, Rowand or Reed. It was about my disagreeing with Daver's comparison. Rowand has never played full time for a whole year and when he plays in spurts he does pretty well. How is this indicative that he's no good or that he's some bust?

Daver
03-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It's not about who's gonna be better, Rowand or Reed. It was about my disagreeing with Daver's comparison. Rowand has never played full time for a whole year and when he plays in spurts he does pretty well. How is this indicative that he's no good or that he's some bust?

He has played five full seasons of minor league baseball,and he has never averaged above .300,has never drawn a walk particularly well,and has never posted consistent OBP,what from that makes anyone think he can be a .300 hitter against MLB pitching?

He was a first round pick that never lived up to expectations,and no better than a 4th outfielder.

guillen4life13
03-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by maurice
I figure KW will hang on to Rowand until he's 38. Look at Sandy Alomar. He must think they're "grinders."\ :)


As a matter of fact, I think a bunch of grinding goes on in Sandy's knees. Literally.


Just something to think about. :D:

batmanZoSo
03-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He has played five full seasons of minor league baseball,and he has never averaged above .300,has never drawn a walk particularly well,and has never posted consistent OBP,what from that makes anyone think he can be a .300 hitter against MLB pitching?

He was a first round pick that never lived up to expectations,and no better than a 4th outfielder.

Hey, Chris Singleton hit .300 once. And Rowand's a much better hitter than him at least mechanics wise...there's a lot more potential there. But no, I'm not expecting Rowand to hit .300 but I don't think he's gonna kill us out there a'la Julio Ramirez. He's capable of like .277 17 68 playing three quarters of the time.

SoxxoS
03-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He has played five full seasons of minor league baseball,and he has never averaged above .300,has never drawn a walk particularly well,and has never posted consistent OBP,what from that makes anyone think he can be a .300 hitter against MLB pitching?

He was a first round pick that never lived up to expectations,and no better than a 4th outfielder.

Ever heard of Chris Singleton or Scott Podsednik?

Here is the outlook on Podsednik from ESPN.com-

"Though it's true Podsednik never showed this kind of offensive ability in the minors, he had been held back by injuries more than a lack of skill. However, at age 28, he is more of a finished product than a youngster on the way up. The Brewers will be thrilled if he simply continues to play at the same level, which he very well might do. His average may lose a few points, but with his nice collection of other skills, he'll remain a valuable player."

That can DEFINITELY be the description of Rowand at the end of the season.

Randar68
03-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Ever heard of Chris Singleton or Scott Podsednik?

Here is the outlook on Podsednik from ESPN.com-

"Though it's true Podsednik never showed this kind of offensive ability in the minors, he had been held back by injuries more than a lack of skill. However, at age 28, he is more of a finished product than a youngster on the way up. The Brewers will be thrilled if he simply continues to play at the same level, which he very well might do. His average may lose a few points, but with his nice collection of other skills, he'll remain a valuable player."

That can DEFINITELY be the description of Rowand at the end of the season.

Yeah, Chris Singleton really is the best example of this, right? Chris Singleton was BAR NONE one of the best defensive CF'ers in all of baseball. In addition, he had excellent speed on the basepaths and was a good baserunner, and he was able to take a walk and work the count.

How many of those very valuable things does Aaron Rowand do?