PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel would be salivating over this team...

Win1ForMe
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Listening to Murph & Fred this morning, they talked about a number of our bench players (Gload, Harris, Uribe, Burke) that can play multiple positions. You would have to figure Jerry could "rest" a lot of our players and "keep them fresh" cough*tinker*cough for the duration of the season.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Gload can play OF, 1B, and DH! Harris can play CF and 2B. Uribe can play 2b, ss, and 3b even if he's bad. Burke could play C and probably 1B and OF! There wouldn't be enough games in the season for Manuel to tinker.

Hangar18
03-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Im curious....what time were they talking about this today?
an approximation please. I "listened" to these jackasses
for 2 hrs, and was all commercials, no baseball, and all cub

Win1ForMe
03-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Hangar,

It was right after the 9:00 am update. They had Scott Merkin (I think that's his name, is he the Sox guy?) from MLB.com.

Personally, I was listening to see if they had some hoops talk re: the Illini but stuck around after hearing they would be talking about the Sox.

CubKilla
03-17-2004, 08:42 PM
:jerry

"I never made a line-up or met a bench player that I didn't like. They create the opportunities to tinker."

jeremyb1
03-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Listening to Murph & Fred this morning, they talked about a number of our bench players (Gload, Harris, Uribe, Burke) that can play multiple positions. You would have to figure Jerry could "rest" a lot of our players and "keep them fresh" cough*tinker*cough for the duration of the season.

Some Sox fans are going to be shocked this season to discover that all other managers don't play each player 162 games. You can debate the logic of how and when JM played his bench but if you look around the rest of the league our regulars don't have less at bats and games played than on other clubs and our reserves didn't log an unhealthy number of plate apperances/games played. Its hard for me to take arguments about Manuel and substitutions seriously when people constantly critisized necessary common sense moves such as platooning Graffanino and Valentin.

Win1ForMe
03-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Some Sox fans are going to be shocked this season to discover that all other managers don't play each player 162 games. You can debate the logic of how and when JM played his bench but if you look around the rest of the league our regulars don't have less at bats and games played than on other clubs and our reserves didn't log an unhealthy number of plate apperances/games played. Its hard for me to take arguments about Manuel and substitutions seriously when people constantly critisized necessary common sense moves such as platooning Graffanino and Valentin.

jeremy,

It's not necessarily the number of times he chose to rest certain guys but how he made out the lineups. I remember last season, a Sunday day game in Seattle which is a classic example of the "Jerry Manuel Sunday lineup" (starting the game were Harris, Tony -at 3rd, Daubach, and Rowand). You're basically asking for trouble.

:hawk
"Don't tell me who you rest. Tell me when you do it."

ode to veeck
03-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I didn't know Jerry Manual could salivate. That would be too close to being really excited.

PS, I heard he's counting cards in Atlantic City, intrigued by all the possibilities.

ode to veeck
03-17-2004, 11:51 PM

"I never met a bench player I couldn't convert to a utility player. How about that Josh Paul as a pinch runner now!"

RKMeibalane
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

hftrex
03-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

By the time that Guillen is fired, Sox fans will be rueing the day that JM was fired. Granted, JM was hardly Al Lopez or Chuck Tanner but he was much better than either Terry Bevington or the Hispanic Terry Bevington aka Ozzie Guillen.

SoxEd
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
By the time that Guillen is fired, Sox fans will be rueing the day that JM was fired. Granted, JM was hardly Al Lopez or Chuck Tanner but he was much better than either Terry Bevington or the Hispanic Terry Bevington aka Ozzie Guillen.

Please forgive my ignorance here (as I've only followed MLB with any consistency since last June), but how can you know that JM is better than Ozzie yet?

Am I wrong, or aren't we still in the ST period of Ozzie's FIRST season as Manager - i.e teams managed by him are yet to play even a single game?