PDA

View Full Version : Best White Sox Owner?

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm going with Bill Veeck just because he did som uch for the Sox.

Baby Fisk
03-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Veeck as in Wreck, for entertainment value only. He brought back those classy navy uniforms in 1976 -- the first retro uniforms ever.

But as an owner, he was perpetually hamstrung by a lack of $$$.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Then again have we ever had an owner with a lot of $$$? Or who actually spent his money?

owensmouth
03-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Chuck Comiskey? Do you mean the grandson of Charles Comiskey? He never owned the White Sox. His sister, Dorothy Rigney, had control of 56% of the stock and she sold it to Veeck. Chuck Comiskey owned 46% and was to inherit an additional 8% when he turned (I think 25).

I guess my choice would be Veeck, but I remember too well the trades he made in the winter of 59-60 that gutted the White Sox for years to come.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Chuck Comiskey? Do you mean the grandson of Charles Comiskey? He never owned the White Sox. His sister, Dorothy Rigney, had control of 56% of the stock and she sold it to Veeck. Chuck Comiskey owned 46% and was to inherit an additional 8% when he turned (I think 25).

I guess my choice would be Veeck, but I remember too well the trades he made in the winter of 59-60 that gutted the White Sox for years to come.

Chuck was a co-owner.

jabrch
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
The next one....He can't be any worse than the previous ones - can he?

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

The world may never know....................

sas1974
03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

If this was a choice, it would be mine as well. Unfortunately, and it kills me to type this, if I have to pick one of these, it would have to be JR. Veeck was a marketing genius, but he was broke. The Comiskey's were notoriously cheap and would probably make JR look like a big spender. JR may be a cheap bastard, but I think he's the best of the bunch. I know that's not saying much. My money's on the next guy.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
If this was a choice, it would be mine as well. Unfortunately, and it kills me to type this, if I have to pick one of these, it would have to be JR. Veeck was a marketing genius, but he was broke. The Comiskey's were notoriously cheap and would probably make JR look like a big spender. JR may be a cheap bastard, but I think he's the best of the bunch. I know that's not saying much. My money's on the next guy.

I wonder if the Sox will ever have an owner who has money and spends it on players?

Hangar18
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I wonder if the Sox will ever have an owner who has money and spends it on players?

Donald Trump

voodoochile
03-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

I go with Veeck, simply because he was so much bigger than life and because I have come to distrust JR so much.

The sad part is look at that list. Man, talk about your lesser of the evils choice. There should be an option for "Next guy" or "death", but as I understand it, death is not an option...

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I go with Veeck, simply because he was so much bigger than life and because I have come to distrust JR so much.

The sad part is look at that list. Man, talk about your lesser of the evils choice. There should be an option for "Next guy" or "death", but as I understand it, death is not an option...

If I put the Next Guy as an option who do you think would be everyone's favorite owner?

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Did Chuck Comiskey have any siginicant events happen while he was in charge?

RichFitztightly
03-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Isn't winning this poll like winning the title of "biggest package" at a eunuch convention?

TornLabrum
03-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Did Chuck Comiskey have any siginicant events happen while he was in charge?

Nah, he only put together the Go-Go-Sox, Minoso, Fox, Carrasquel/Aparicio, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan, Jim Landis, Jim Rivera, and also had Johnny Callison, John Romano, Norm Cash, and Earl Battey in the farm system. You may recall the last four. Veeck traded them away for a baggie full of horsepiss.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Nah, he only put together the Go-Go-Sox, Minoso, Fox, Carrasquel/Aparicio, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan, Jim Landis, Jim Rivera, and also had Johnny Callison, John Romano, Norm Cash, and Earl Battey in the farm system. You may recall the last four. Veeck traded them away for a baggie full of horsepiss.

Shouldn't that credit go to Frank Lane? He's the one who made the trades.

TornLabrum
03-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Shouldn't that credit go to Frank Lane? He's the one who made the trades.

Comiskey hired Lane. Comiskey Fired Lane and ran the team with his brother-in-law John Rigney. From what I've read, it was Comiskey who signed most of the young talent, and he made the deals after Lane was fired a couple of years before Dorothy sold the club.

ondafarm
03-17-2004, 09:45 PM
I want to know who's voting for Reinsdorf.

JR, its uncivil to vote for yourself.

Railsplitter
03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
John Allyn twice saved the sox from moving. After the 1970 debacle, he traded Luis Aparicio, but gave Looie the rigth to nulify a trade to place he didn't like, which was before the 10 and 5 rule came out. During the 1972 players strike, he let the Sox work out at Comiskey. By 1975, he had less than $10,000 dollars in the bank. I don't know if the stress from nearly going bankrupt to keep the Sox in Chicago was a conributing factor, but he died in 1979.

MiamiSpartan
03-18-2004, 07:30 AM
How about none of the above???

ma_deuce
03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Veeck... because of the shorts.

Deuce

ode to veeck
03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Veeck... because of the shorts.

LOL! Still my favorite Sox uniform of all time. Sure there's pluses and minues, but if I didn't vote for Bill, I'd have to change my WSI handle!

jackbrohamer
03-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Depressing ownership history, it's a "tallest miget" contest. Don't forget that Veeck traded off a boatload of talent after they won the pennant in 1959, and supposedly shopped the team to people who would move the team out of town before ultimately selling to JR.

Baby Fisk
03-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree with jackbrohamer -- Veeck is running away with this poll, but I think it's because he's the most popular owner, not necessarily best. The best owner would be the one who did what it took to win a WS Championship. This would make Chas. Comiskey the best. But then again, he was supposedly the skinflint who drove his players to throw a WS for money, a tragedy that ruined the Sox for years to come, so maybe he wasn't that great after all.

Maybe there should be a None of the Above option. :(:

Irishsox1
03-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Reinsdorf is the best owner and at the same time, the worst owner. He's the best because he turned the Sox into a money maker, he's very loyal to ex-players and he secured a new stadium so the Sox wouldn't have to move. He's the worst for building a very bland stadium that finally is getting some work done, but its one of the many reasons attendance is down, he won't pay pitchers and he's smug. Almost every owner up to him never had the money to run a major league team, but that doesn't mean that they weren't trying or were likeable owners. I personally have a bigger problem with MLB and the lack of a salary cap than I do with Reisndorf.