PDA

View Full Version : The Question No one has asked.

Dadawg_77
03-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Do steroids help you play baseball? The name of the game is speed not strength in the baseball, and in this case bat speed. How much does increasing your strength improve your ability to swing a bat quicker? Does additional strength benefit from take steroids give you a marginally faster bat?

I love the fact that old time baseball players say look at the offence production now, they must be on drugs. What these guys don't realize is everything behind the game has changed. Training methods, eating habits, equipment, technique and what ever have improved over the years to give modern day players an edge over their former counter parts. A good team today would crush good teams of the past if they played head to head. Take for an example swimming the winning Olympic time in the 50ís wouldnít even win a good high school tournament today. Football has this program which is held up as example for baseball, yet they didnít catch Bill Romanoski and football players are much bigger, much stronger then they have ever been. Did you know football allows you to have six times the regular testosterone level before you have too much? Something tells me besides public perception this steroid issue is much to do about nothing.

MRKARNO
03-17-2004, 03:58 PM
I think that it can help Home Run total and thats about it. Fly outs turn into home runs with the help of steroids.

I'm not convinced that even if Bonds does use steroids that they helped him. If you can hit it out 450 feet, steroids arent going to make the difference between a HR or not. You have to be a damn good baseball player to be able to hit it right on the sweet spot with that power all those times. Steroids isnt going to do anything about that.
People wonder why Bonds' HR totals went way down after 73. It's because no one was pitching to him! If pitchers want to give him a fastball in the middle of the strikezone they know the ball is out of the park.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 04:01 PM
In that ESPN article that was posted on here today, it also mentions that being able to "bouce back" quicker from injury is also a positive effect produced by steroids.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think that it can help Home Run total and thats about it. Fly outs turn into home runs with the help of steroids.

I'm not convinced that even if Bonds does use steroids that they helped him. If you can hit it out 450 feet, steroids arent going to make the difference between a HR or not. You have to be a damn good baseball player to be able to hit it right on the sweet spot with that power all those times. Steroids isnt going to do anything about that.
People wonder why Bonds' HR totals went way down after 73. It's because no one was pitching to him! If pitchers want to give him a fastball in the middle of the strikezone they know the ball is out of the park.

Hitting a ball is all about timing. Strength and bat-speed are directly related, and the faster and more quickly you can go from the decision phase to getting the bat in the hitting zone, the better you are going to be.

Steroids are also proved to help eyesight and make vision more sharp and clear, something I think we can all agree is vital.

If you can:
1) Gain an advantage in how well you see the ball
2) How early you pick up the pitch
3) How quickly you can get your bat into the hitting zone
4) have the bat move at a higher velocity
5) Connective tissues increase in strength and durability (with anabolic steroids)

It is absolutely undeniable that steroids help hitters. The added vision benefits, the increased core strength, power, and quickness...

I think it's ludicrous to even suggest it does not help in any facet of hitting.

raul12
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

I don't think anyone is denying that these people are incredibly gifted athletes. Even if I took steroids for a long time, there is still no way I could match what these people do day in and day out. But when you get to that level, the difference between superstar and bench warmer becomes ever so small. Balls that once got hit to the warning track go out. Balls that a shortstop could get to now slip past his diving attempt. Remember, you are pretty much guaranteed to be in the HOF if over your career, you are successful a mere 3 out of 10 tries. Reduce that to 2.5 out of 10, and you're a mediocre player. Not much room for error.

MarkEdward
03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Hitting a ball is all about timing. Strength and bat-speed are directly related, and the faster and more quickly you can go from the decision phase to getting the bat in the hitting zone, the better you are going to be.

Steroids are also proved to help eyesight and make vision more sharp and clear, something I think we can all agree is vital.

If you can:
1) Gain an advantage in how well you see the ball
2) How early you pick up the pitch
3) How quickly you can get your bat into the hitting zone
4) have the bat move at a higher velocity

It is absolutely undeniable that steroids help hitters. The added vision benefits, the increased core strength, power, and quickness...

I think it's ludicrous to even suggest it does not help in any facet of hitting.

For what it's worth, and correct me if I'm wrong, steroids (in the sense you seem to be using) don't improve eyesight. You may be thinking of HGH, which has been shown to improve eyesight.

Sorry for getting involved in all of the steroid threads. I seem to have taken up a sudden interest in various performance enhancement debates.

dpbyron
Simply put, they help you recover much quicker from workouts and injuries. That not only means that you feel much stronger in August and September , you also recover much quicker on a day-to day basis. Plus, the steriods that these guys use are top of the line and their use is usually being carefully monitored by a Doctor. This is how guys like Bonds and Shammy can avoid the potential injuries that most steriod uses get.

sas1974
I guess the point is that whether or not it helps, it's still cheating. Does corking your bat help? Most signs point to no, but it's cheating.

I agree Bonds is a great hitter and that steroids probably don't have a whole lot to do w/ being able to center a 95mph fastball on the rounded barrel of a bat. The difference between hitting a 450 ft home run and a 455 ft home run doesn't mean much, but if you add 5 ft to a line drive, that CAN make a difference. Balls get through the holes in the infield faster. Balls hit the gaps faster. Again, I am not sure if the increase in strength helps bat speed, but I am guessing that it can't hurt.

rahulsekhar
03-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I guess the point is that whether or not it helps, it's still cheating. Does corking your bat help? Most signs point to no, but it's cheating.

I agree Bonds is a great hitter and that steroids probably don't have a whole lot to do w/ being able to center a 95mph fastball on the rounded barrel of a bat. The difference between hitting a 450 ft home run and a 455 ft home run doesn't mean much, but if you add 5 ft to a line drive, that CAN make a difference. Balls get through the holes in the infield faster. Balls hit the gaps faster. Again, I am not sure if the increase in strength helps bat speed, but I am guessing that it can't hurt.

Steroids can also help maintain performance levels when your skills, reaction time, etc would begin to deteriorate. Baseball is a game of millimeters - i.e. the difference between a pop fly and an HR, a foulout to 1B and a line drive up the middle.

A slight increase in bat speed, a slight increase in power, etc all can make a HUGE difference in the result. That's what the Ralph Wiley's of the world don't want to admit - it's not that anyone could take steroids and be a good baseball player, it's that good-but-not-great players can take tham and become great. Or that great players can take them and become all-time greats.

Steroids can't give Bonds the 650-whatever HR he has now, but it could easily mean the difference between having 650 now and having say 550. And that's the difference between being a sure fire HOFer and being possibly the best hitter of all time.

Huisj
03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Does additional strength benefit from take steroids give you a marginally faster bat?

Training methods, eating habits, equipment, technique and what ever have improved over the years to give modern day players an edge over their former counter parts.

So in otherwords, you're saying that these modern training techniques help to make people bigger, stronger, faster, and more in shape, and that's why modern players have this edge over old players.

Doesn't that answer your own question about steriods? If steroids are helping people become stronger and faster, then heck yeah, it'll enhance their performance--just as training like mad helps your performance.

Also, if Barry Bonds could hit a ball 450 feet before (which he could), that doesn't mean that steroids wouldn't help him hit more home runs. Yeah, the ones that he would have already hit that far won't count for anything more, but what about all those balls that he used to hit that went 375 feet or 390 feet? Those are the ones that are going to be helped along by the steroid strength (if indeed he took them). Just because Bonds was already a home run hitter does not in any way mean that increased strenght wouldn't help him hit more. Of course it would help him hit more.

Man Soo Lee
03-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Somewhere between 5% and 80% of players seem to think there is a benefit that is worth risking their health to obtain.