PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Angels possible trade revisited

munchman33
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
In the Herald...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=38063180

lowesox
03-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Kenny really should consider a Washburn/Borchard trade. It would make this team much, much better.

mike squires
03-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Reed, Borchard or Rauch are the young talent mentioned. Rauch and Borchard I could reluctantly part with, but Reed for Washburn or Ortiz...Puuuulease

kittle42
03-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Please, please, please do this Kenny - unless it's for Reed.

jeremyb1
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
This is one of the worst baseball articles I've read in a long, long time. Neither Buehrle nor Loaiza could be considered an ace? Buehrle is one season removed from two dominant seasons and Loaiza was one of the five best pitchers in baseball last season. Konerko/Thomas to the Doggers? I've seen it reported several places that DePodesta has absolutely no interested in acquiring either player or dealing Perez. Borchard, Rauch, OR REED?!?! for Washburn? Borchard and Rauch have fallen off of most top prospect lists wheras Reed is considered to be one of the better prospects in the game. Those would be two completely different deals. Finally, where do we get the 4+ million to pay Washburn? If we have that money we would've used it to sign a starter in teh off-season, right?

Poor journalism.

CWSGuy406
03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
This is one of the worst baseball articles I've read in a long, long time. Neither Buehrle nor Loaiza could be considered an ace? Buehrle is one season removed from two dominant seasons and Loaiza was one of the five best pitchers in baseball last season. Konerko/Thomas to the Doggers? I've seen it reported several places that DePodesta has absolutely no interested in acquiring either player or dealing Perez. Borchard, Rauch, OR REED?!?! for Washburn? Borchard and Rauch have fallen off of most top prospect lists wheras Reed is considered to be one of the better prospects in the game. Those would be two completely different deals. Finally, where do we get the 4+ million to pay Washburn? If we have that money we would've used it to sign a starter in teh off-season, right?

Poor journalism.

I'm assuming that Anahiem would eat most of the four million, if not all of it.

I could stand with Washburn for Borchard. I don't think I'd do Wash for Rauch, and no way in hell would I do Washburn for Reed.

hold2dibber
03-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
no way in hell would I do Washburn for Reed

Neither would KW

Hokiesox
03-17-2004, 04:00 PM
I'd add Sweeney to that list, if his name is every brought up

KW, don't trade Sweeney!

yadosoxfan
03-17-2004, 04:03 PM
the only one i would be willing to give up is borchard.

jon raunch looks like he could be back on track after his surgery and reed is going to look good in right field next year if maggs bolts.

as much as i have rooted for borchard to do well, he hasn't shown anything and we reallllly need the pitching.

Man Soo Lee
03-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Can anyone explain why the Angels, having spent a lot of money and with World Series aspirations, would be willing to trade Washburn?

This article belongs on a CBSsportsline message board.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by yadosoxfan
the only one i would be willing to give up is borchard.

jon raunch looks like he could be back on track after his surgery and reed is going to look good in right field next year if maggs bolts.

as much as i have rooted for borchard to do well, he hasn't shown anything and we reallllly need the pitching.

remind me again who is going to be in CF???

please, oh, please, do not type the words, "Aaron Rowand"...

Rex Hudler
03-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
This is one of the worst baseball articles I've read in a long, long time. Neither Buehrle nor Loaiza could be considered an ace? Buehrle is one season removed from two dominant seasons and Loaiza was one of the five best pitchers in baseball last season.

Buehrle being an ace is arguable. While he has been solid for the Sox, his numbers have declined each of the last two years. Blaming everything on the first half of last season is a bit misleading. He really only had one bad month.

I hope Mark turns it around this year and becomes a true ace, but put him on most championship staffs and he is a #2 or #3. Loaiza has to prove he is not a one-year wonder. I think he will be solid this year, but won't approach his performance of 2003.

jordan23ventura
03-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Right now there is no question that we need a trade like this. Borchard and Rauch may still develop, but the key word is "may." Obviously, Reed is out of the question.

Seeing how Schoenweis has been doing so far doesn't exactly give anyone a comfortable feeling. Sure, he's "experimenting" with his pitches, but experiementing shouldnt lead to the distaster that it has been. This team needs a proven ML starter to fill the No. 4 spot considering the fact that if Wright stops performing we will again have to reach into AAA for unestablished pitchers.

Ortiz or Washburn would be worth the risk. Who will play center field in the future? Who knows, maybe a trade can be made in the near future. The problem now isn't Rowand in center, it's Schoenweis as a starter.

Additionally, a successful year (division championship) should help determine whether Magglio and Loaiza stay after this season. This is the last chance we have before going into another "The Kids Can Play" campaign, and KW needs to make the most of it.

Win1ForMe
03-17-2004, 10:41 PM
I would love to get Washburn but I find it hard to believe that we could add a $5.45M contract to a team that is supposedly already overbudget.