PDA

View Full Version : Are they busting out the green jersies today?

Deadguy
03-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Or have they stopped this tradition in recent years? I haven't been paying attention the last couple of St. Patty's days

It's half past noon, and I'm already drunk. :gulp:

RichFitztightly
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
This is probably my favorite tradition. I hope they keep it up for a while.

Medford Bobby
03-17-2004, 12:48 PM
I've got my green Sox cap on...does that qualify??? :gulp:

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Are they the home team? I personally think white w/ green pinstripes and a green Sox logo would look pretty nice.

fledgedrallycap
03-17-2004, 12:53 PM
I noticed they have the half-way to St. Patrick's Day event at Comiskey this year. We'll probably get a regular season look at them, too.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I noticed they have the half-way to St. Patrick's Day event at Comiskey this year. We'll probably get a regular season look at them, too.

I think some credit is actually due for that promotion. That's a pretty good idea.

Jerko
03-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
I've got my green Sox cap on...does that qualify??? :gulp:

Yes. The Sox used to wear the green hats on ST. Patrick's day before they broke out the green jerseys.

npdempse
03-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Is there some tradition of wearing the green hats to the park on opening day? I swear I've seen this alluded to around here, and I know I've seen a lot at the park the last couple of years, but I'm not sure what the skinny is.

(I'm wearing mine today too, btw.)

CubKilla
03-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I think some credit is actually due for that promotion. That's a pretty good idea.

With all of the problems they'll probably have with this promotion (people attending the game and drinking like it's St. Patrick's Day) it'll probably only happen this season.

But the promotion is a GREAT idea and I'm critical of Gallas. He may have stumbled upon a gem with this one. If the Sox are worth seeing come September, I know I'll be there for this one this season.

But the Sox better give me good reason to spend my money at the park this year. As of now, I'm not going.

Rocklive99
03-17-2004, 10:07 PM
I was watching the ESPNEWS highlights and the Red Sox were sportin the green (Schilling looked funny)

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
The White Sox wore the regular black ST jerseys with the regular hats today.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/2004_spring_training/031704/10.jpg
pic from today's game.

fhqwhgads
03-17-2004, 10:24 PM
According to the WCCO broadcasters today, the Twins wore green caps, jerseys, had green bases, and green chalk foul lines. That would have been interesting to see.

ode to veeck
03-17-2004, 11:53 PM
They were wearin' the green hats etc on St Paddy's as recently as a year or two ago. I've got a bunch of pics from them playing the Flubs at Mesa with 'em on. Was my first look at Osuna that day.

ihatethecubs
03-18-2004, 03:08 AM
i remember in the early 90s they wore the green jerseys and hats every st patricks day, and no other teams did. it also made sense for them to do it because the southside has so many irish people in it. i highly doubt that they make as much of a big deal out of st patricks day in minneapolis as they do in chicago, where we have 2 parades and dye the river green. now every team goes crazy with the green, even in towns where only a handful of their population is irish . if any team should be wearing green, it should be the white sox. they play in a place where tons of their fans refer to themselves as "southside irish." but i do think the half way to st patricks idea is brilliant, and im sure it will be another jersey trend started by the sox that EVERYONE copies. turn back the clock... everyone does it now (even tampa bay!), black alternate jersey.... everyone has one now (even the blue jays!), half way to st pats day will soon be another trend the sox start.

jabrch
03-18-2004, 06:11 AM
Anyone know where I can get a green hat?

ma_deuce
03-18-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

I'd keep an eye on eBay.

Deuce

Baby Fisk
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Green hats available from MLB.com (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1733434&cp=1768642&parentPage=family). I just ordered mine! :cool: