PDA

View Full Version : Reed's Wrist

poorme
03-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Jeremy Reed is still nursing a wrist injury, sustained in the offseason. That worries me.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Jeremy Reed is still nursing a wrist injury, sustained in the offseason. That worries me.

He sprained his wrist just a couple months ago... settle down...

:prozac

poorme
03-17-2004, 11:46 AM
What kind of injury did Brian Anderson and Nomar have? Isn't a sprain the same thing as torn ligaments? (at least that's what the doc told my wife).

sas1974
03-17-2004, 11:46 AM

His numbers are really indicating that something is wrong. I would almost vote for taking a similar approach as they did w/ Borchard and shutting him down to get it fixed, if it's strained. Of course it may just be a strength issue and he may need this time to get it stronger.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 11:49 AM
What kind of injury did Brian Anderson and Nomar have? Isn't a sprain the same thing as torn ligaments? (at least that's what the doc told my wife).

Yes it is. I sprained my achilles two years ago and it's still not the same. It was a 3rd degree sprain, which is essentially a complete tear. The doctor said that I would have been better off if I would have broke my ankle because it would have healed quicker.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 12:07 PM

Brian Anderson has a small bone spur that was irritating his wrist. They shaved it down in what is a very minor procedure.

Reed's wrist sprain wasn't enough to keep him from practicing or playing with Team USA or from ST, it's likely just something that is bothering him a little. In addition, I think he's just having a tough go of it and this is being overblown.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Brian Anderson has a small bone spur that was irritating his wrist. They shaved it down in what is a very minor procedure.

Reed's wrist sprain wasn't enough to keep him from practicing or playing with Team USA or from ST, it's likely just something that is bothering him a little. In addition, I think he's just having a tough go of it and this is being overblown.

When did he sprain it initially?

Randar68
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
When did he sprain it initially?

During one of Team USA's qualifying games this winter.

MisterB
03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Yes it is. I sprained my achilles two years ago and it's still not the same. It was a 3rd degree sprain, which is essentially a complete tear. The doctor said that I would have been better off if I would have broke my ankle because it would have healed quicker.

FWIW, 'sprain' covers a wide range of ligament injuries from stressed (i.e. over-stretched) to complete tears. In sports the term 'torn ligaments' gets used pretty freely when referring to severe sprains, and 'sprain' usually refers to minor sprains.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
FWIW, 'sprain' covers a wide range of ligament injuries from stressed (i.e. over-stretched) to complete tears. In sports the term 'torn ligaments' gets used pretty freely when referring to severe sprains, and 'sprain' usually refers to minor sprains.

Duly noted. Let's hope is was just a minor one.

I think there was a pretty good chance that he was not going to start the season in Chicago anyway, so this probably isn't that big of a deal. He's probably just putting too much pressure on himself.

jeremyb1
03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
His numbers are really indicating that something is wrong. I would almost vote for taking a similar approach as they did w/ Borchard and shutting him down to get it fixed, if it's strained. Of course it may just be a strength issue and he may need this time to get it stronger.

I'm not too concerned with the injury. By all accounts its not particularly serious. What I'm worried about is him not resting it adequately because the team allows him to play and he pushes himself too hard. We absolutely need to sit him down if its bothering him.

sas1974
03-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'm not too concerned with the injury. By all accounts its not particularly serious. What I'm worried about is him not resting it adequately because the team allows him to play and he pushes himself too hard. We absolutely need to sit him down if its bothering him.

It definitely doesn't sound like he's had much of a break since last season.