PDA

View Full Version : im kinda worried.....

whitesox30
03-17-2004, 12:25 PM
im pretty worried about the sox this year....i am not to sure if they have enough to win the central this year because last season we had bartolo colon in r rotation n still couldnt win the weak central and this year we dont have him or other big pieces to are team....anyone that could give me some hope please do......

rdivaldi
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Looking at our competition in the Central, you have to figure that we have a good chance at winning the division. The Royals still don't have much pitching and the Twins are significantly weaker in the 'pen, and their rotation doesn't exactly strike fear into opponents either.

It's going to be a close race, we should be in the thick of it.

Baby Fisk
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by whitesox30
im pretty worried about the sox this year....i am not to sure if they have enough to win the central this year because last season we had bartolo colon in r rotation n still couldnt win the weak central and this year we dont have him or other big pieces to are team....anyone that could give me some hope please do......

All you need to add to your comment is some bitterness towards Jerry Reinsdorf, some resentment towards the Cubs, some whimsy about your favourite former player, and some grief about the blue seats at the Cell, and this would be the perfect, universal sentiment shared by most Sox fans.

We're here to fret together... :cool:

Kuzman
03-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
All you need to add to your comment is some bitterness towards Jerry Reinsdorf, some resentment towards the Cubs, some whimsy about your favourite former player, and some grief about the blue seats at the Cell, and this would be the perfect, universal sentiment shared by most Sox fans.

We're here to fret together... :cool:

ill drink to that :gulp:

Hokiesox
03-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm getting excited. The one problem we've had the last few years is an inability to manufacture runs. This ST has shown that the team can, in fact, manufacture runs (by singles, moving the runners, bunting, clutch hitting). Basically, it appears we're not living off the long ball anymore. I hope it keeps up, but it seems to be exciting. Our lineup is really no different than previous years to begin.

But yeah, I do think accounting for Bart's 242 innings will be tough, but you gotta take what's given to you and roll with it.

GO SOX! :gulp: :gulp:

TheRockinMT
03-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Kuzman
ill drink to that :gulp:

However, if you do drink to that you'll be an alcoholic by the All-Star game break.

I think the Sox will be just fine this year. Too much is made of what the media wants you to believe in their gloom and doom stories. Too many stories telling us what the Sox need to do as far as trades are concerned, etc. We have a strong hitting team, maybe even a powerhouse line up and the pitching sure appears to be solid. I think they will play with some fire this year and that means a lot towards winning games also.

Dan H
03-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
However, if you do drink to that you'll be an alcoholic by the All-Star game break.

I think the Sox will be just fine this year. Too much is made of what the media wants you to believe in their gloom and doom stories. Too many stories telling us what the Sox need to do as far as trades are concerned, etc. We have a strong hitting team, maybe even a powerhouse line up and the pitching sure appears to be solid. I think they will play with some fire this year and that means a lot towards winning games also.

Hitting was good last year and they won nothing. Pitching is extremely iffy. Their strongest asset, until they prove different, is that they are in the AL Central. There is plenty worry about and doubt here.

guillen4life13
03-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by whitesox30

I'll do my best (I am also pretty worried).

Buehrle had a complete down year (14-14, when he was projected to win 19-20 games).

Garland should also improve a little.

The games the Sox lost that made the difference were against teams like Detroit, etc. They didn't perform well against the teams they should have owned. Now that there's a new manager who seems to be lighting a fire under some behinds, this trend should (key word) change.

Manos has gone completely lefty.

Konerko SHOULD rebound a bit.

Olivo has a bit more experience and SHOULD hit better.

Same with Crede, plus he's regained a lot of weight he lost from a sickness he had prior to last year (and he never really made the weight back).

I realize that there are a lot of "SHOULD"'s involved, and that's why I'm worried.

SoxFan76
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Crede will have a breakout season this year. The past couple years he decides to hit for half the season. I feel this year he can put together a full season.

Jose batting lefty can only benefit this lineup dominated by righties. His defense was improved last year, and he can only go up.

Second base, sorry. I consider myself very optimistic and positive, sometimes too positive. But I don't expect much from Harris or Uribe. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised this year.

Olivo has a cannon. Offensively, not expecting too much there.

Konerko WILL come back this year. How 'bout that?

Burhle WILL come back this year. Uh oh, there it is again.

Loaiza WILL have another great season...Ok, I guess he has had a shaky spring training so far, but he should be good this year.

Garland, again I am not expecting much. Sorry, he has had enough chances to "finally reach his potential", and I think 15 wins is his potential.

If Shoenweis doesn't make the rotation, I'm liking Danny Wright this year, and I guess Grilli is making a name for himself. I still like Rauch as well. His height alone SHOULD give him an advantage over hitters, similar to Randy Johnson. Unfortunately, Rauch doesn't exactly have the same stuff as Johnson.

BUT, the biggest reason I am actually looking forward to this season, is to see what Ozzie Guillen can do to this team. I fell he can be 04's Tony Pena, but keep his team in contention until the end, and hopefully win the division. The '04 Sox have more talent than the '03 Royals, so the Sox have the advantage in that area.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Last year Colon, Beuhrle, and Garland had a slow start. Also PK lost his All-Star status very early in the season. We also blew some series against stiff teams such as the Devil Rays and Tigers. That's one big reason we didn't win it last year. Also the strength of the schedule in the end of the year. If we have a strong start and keep up that momentum we'll do fine. Also Ozzie will take teams such as the Tigers more seriously than Manual did.

soxnut
03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I'm getting excited. The one problem we've had the last few years is an inability to manufacture runs. This ST has shown that the team can, in fact, manufacture runs (by singles, moving the runners, bunting, clutch hitting). Basically, it appears we're not living off the long ball anymore. I hope it keeps up, but it seems to be exciting. Our lineup is really no different than previous years to begin.

But yeah, I do think accounting for Bart's 242 innings will be tough, but you gotta take what's given to you and roll with it.

GO SOX! :gulp: :gulp:

You are exactly right about manufacturing runs. This team has been hitting like a bunch of dummies the last few years. That's why the Sox lost. As well as the fact we had Manuel for a manager. Things will be different ths year. It's as simple as that. Of course there are those that are going to diagree with those statements, but I know I'm right. And the Sox will be alot better than people are giving them credit for. :smile:

yadosoxfan
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
no more jerry manuel...ozzie wins us at least 10 more games then manuel would have...GURANTEED

blueeyes33
03-18-2004, 04:59 AM
the only thing im worried about is the pitching. because i know itsjust ST but it dont seem as if they haveanything worth bragging over.

hopefully i will have anewjob by summer and will get off 3rd shift so ican go to games this season!