PDA

View Full Version : ? relating to Jordan and the Sox

santo=dorf
03-17-2004, 01:28 AM
I mean to post this awhile back, but I was watching "Legends and Headliners" on Michael Jordan. During the piece they showed old footage of some Barons talking about how it was unfair for Jordan to get so high in the organization. I miss the names of the people that they were interviewing. Does anyone remember any of Jordan's teammates that have played for our beloved Sox, or another major league team?

jabrch
03-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Terry Francona managed the team.

Steve Sax was down there a bit
Scott Eyre was there for sure
Snopek was there

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

SSN721
03-17-2004, 08:27 AM
They were actually talking about this a little on Dan Patrick yesterday. Dibble was saying how he was chatting with opposing catchers that would actually help out Jordan but letting him know what was coming before the pitch was thrown. Know it is a little off topic I just thought it was kind of funny considering he got that help and still barely hit over .200, guess it is like a lot of people say, hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things in the world to do.

npdempse
03-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
it is like a lot of people say, hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things in the world to do.

Especially when you have a strike zone the size of Rhode Island.

poorme
03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm about the same age as Jordan was at the time. I'd be awfully proud of myself if I stepped out of my office and put up these numbers:

Year Avg Gm AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB E
1994 .202 127 436 46 88 116 17 1 3 51 51 114 30 11

HaroldFan
03-17-2004, 09:10 AM
The 1995 Sox media guide lists the 1994 Barons roster. Chris Snopek is the only position player among those who spent the whole season there whose name I recognize as ever playing in the big leagues. Shane Turner, Joe Hall, Steve Sax and Dan Pasqua also all played a few games there that season. There are quite a few pitchers however who made it, however briefly, to the Sox. Luis Andujar, Mike Bertotti, Atlee Hammaker (I'd completely forgotten we ever had him), Matt Karchner, Alan Levine, Brian Keyser, Mike Heathcott, and Larry Thomas.

Brian26
03-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I'm about the same age as Jordan was at the time. I'd be awfully proud of myself if I stepped out of my office and put up these numbers:

Year Avg Gm AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB E
1994 .202 127 436 46 88 116 17 1 3 51 51 114 30 11

His average was awful, but he had a heck of a lot of stolen bases. I'm even surprised by the 3 homers and a triple.

rmusacch
03-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by HaroldFan
The 1995 Sox media guide lists the 1994 Barons roster. Chris Snopek is the only position player among those who spent the whole season there whose name I recognize as ever playing in the big leagues. Shane Turner, Joe Hall, Steve Sax and Dan Pasqua also all played a few games there that season. There are quite a few pitchers however who made it, however briefly, to the Sox. Luis Andujar, Mike Bertotti, Atlee Hammaker (I'd completely forgotten we ever had him), Matt Karchner, Alan Levine, Brian Keyser, Mike Heathcott, and Larry Thomas.

Atlee Hammaker was at the ceremony on opening day last year where they had the Sox all stars come out since he was on the 1983 All Star team as a member of the Giants.

jabrch
03-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Some scouts actually said that if he stuck around for 2 years in the minors he could have become a serviceable utility OF for a major league club. He had a good arm and excellent speed. He could have been a 5th OF, pinch hit, pinch ran, played late defense, etc if his suspension from the NBA didn't expire so he could go back to the Bulls.

jabrch
03-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Atlee Hammaker was at the ceremony on opening day last year where they had the Sox all stars come out since he was on the 1983 All Star team as a member of the Giants.

Hammaker served up the Grand Slam to Freddy Lynn, the first GS in all-star history. (worthless information)

Deadguy
03-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Some scouts actually said that if he stuck around for 2 years in the minors he could have become a serviceable utility OF for a major league club. He had a good arm and excellent speed. He could have been a 5th OF, pinch hit, pinch ran, played late defense, etc if his suspension from the NBA didn't expire so he could go back to the Bulls.

I'm sure had there not been a strike, he would have made the 40 man roster in September, to help boost attendance. Had we been in a pennant race, I wonder how much playing time he would have seen.

jabrch
03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I'm sure had there not been a strike, he would have made the 40 man roster in September, to help boost attendance. Had we been in a pennant race, I wonder how much playing time he would have seen.

Not much PT - but he certainly could have pinch run for Frank, Robin, Karko, Franco, etc. when they were on base. We had the Deacon and Danny Pasqua on that team - they were fairly redundant talents.