PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers writes encouraging article on Sweeney

SoxxoS
03-17-2004, 01:15 AM
For those Tribune registered. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040316rogers,1,1154598.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

owensmouth
03-17-2004, 05:28 AM
While listening to the game between the Angels and the Sox on KSPN, the Angels broadcasters could not say enough good things about Sweeney. They were clearly impressed. This from a broadcast team that's going to be watching an outfield of Jose Guillen, Garret Anderson and Vladimir Guerrero. Sweeney is really making last year's recruiting class look good.

However, he is only 19 years old. KW will probably trade him for a more experienced player.

Railsplitter
03-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Sweeny hit , what a combined .379 in the ninors last year. Even fifty points below that, wouldn't be bad.

Frater Perdurabo
03-17-2004, 09:35 AM
I just wish the Sox also had a plethora of SS-2B prospects in the minors to go along with Valido. I guess we can't have it all. :sigh

guillen4life13
03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Sweeny hit , what a combined .379 in the ninors last year. Even fifty points below that, wouldn't be bad.

Those were in Rookie and A leagues. Those numbers would be much more impressive in AA or AAA. It doesn't mean as much coming from Rookie or A leagues.

jackbrohamer
03-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
However, he is only 19 years old. KW will probably trade him for a more experienced player.

Maybe KW can package him up to re-acquire Todd Richie?

Randar68
03-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Those were in Rookie and A leagues. Those numbers would be much more impressive in AA or AAA. It doesn't mean as much coming from Rookie or A leagues.

Huh? Sweeney was straight out of HS and played in Iowa where they don't even start HS season until the end of May or start of June...

Sheeeesh. You people....

Randar68
03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth

Huh? Where do you people get this crap from? What high draft picks of Kenny's has he been so eager to trade? Royce Ring was drafted to be traded. Kip Wells had many chances in Chicago...

Anthony Webster??? Josh Rupe???? These guys are projects, not top prospects...

Get your facts straight before you go off badmouthing people with absolutely no foundation for criticism.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2004, 11:27 AM
An outfield in 2007 of Reed in left, Anderson in center and Sweeney in right might be very impressive. If the Sox payroll then is actually equal to a team in the nation's 3rd biggest market they might actually win something meaningful.

Lip

delben91
03-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
An outfield in 2007 of Reed in left, Anderson in center and Sweeney in right might be very impressive. If the Sox payroll then is actually equal to a team in the nation's 3rd biggest market they might actually win something meaningful.

Lip

Hey, it's fun to dream isn't it Lip?

batmanZoSo
03-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

Seventy-nine points below that wouldn't be horrible either. :)

munchman33
03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
An outfield in 2007 of Reed in left, Anderson in center and Sweeney in right might be very impressive.
Lip

Lip, it's not like you to be so positive!

batmanZoSo
03-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
For those Tribune registered. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040316rogers,1,1154598.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Thanks for posting that. It's pretty neat to think what could be with our outfield.

I also just realized I'm almost three years older than that guy. I believe this is when you start the very gradual getting-old process.

RichFitztightly
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I also just realized I'm almost three years older than that guy. I believe this is when you start the very gradual getting-old process.

Yup

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:55 PM

Lip

Actually they will all still have pretty cheap contracts, so they may have money to spend elsewhere.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Actually they will all still have pretty cheap contracts, so they may have money to spend elsewhere.

I think that's what Lip was referring to, unless those 3 all turn into starting SS's or Pitchers on their off-days... :D:

sas1974
03-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think that's what Lip was referring to, unless those 3 all turn into starting SS's or Pitchers on their off-days... :D:

Never know...the article did say that Sweeney has a 90mph fastball. :D:

Uncle Jerry would get a two-for-one.

TaylorStSox
03-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Thank you Randar. The only legit prospect that KW traded was Webster. We got a pretty damn good rent a player for him too. With the amount of real outfield prospects that we have, we could afford it. Have you guys seen Ring pitch? His fastball is flat(not much life) and his breaking stuff isn't all that impressive. He'll be a marginal reliever in the big leagues.

I wish we had more infield prospects as well. Though, I agree with the philosophy that you draft the best player available despite position.

Randar68
03-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I wish we had more infield prospects as well. Though, I agree with the philosophy that you draft the best player available despite position.

Yep, and we wouldn't be talking about Sweeney if that wasn't the case.

hold2dibber
03-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yep, and we wouldn't be talking about Sweeney if that wasn't the case.

Good point.

jackbrohamer
03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Though, I agree with the philosophy that you draft the best player available despite position.

I assume you agree that Royce Ring was not that in the 2002 draft.

maurice
03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
The only legit prospect that KW traded was Webster.

Right, and Webster was a LONG way from the big leagues in an organization loaded with young OFs.

TaylorStSox
03-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I assume you agree that Royce Ring was not that in the 2002 draft.

At the time, that pick puzzled me. In retrospect, Ring was a player that could probably help a team earlier than most of the players available. Obviously, he doesn't have the stuff to close but he was already pretty polished. Was he drafted as trade bait? I'm not sure. However, I believe he was a valuable choice because he helped us immediately. via the Alomar trade. A trade that's obviously debatable. Alomar did solidify the middle infield and changed the attitude of the team. I noticed a difference in other hitter's at bats after he joined. You can argue the numbers all you want. Alomar WAS a tough out while being with us last year.

Hangar18
03-17-2004, 04:11 PM

Lip

From the cubune July 21st, 2007
AP Chicago,IL The White Sox are looking to trade Jeremy Reed and possibly Ryan Sweeney before the Deadline. General Manager Tony LaRussa said the contract demands made by the 3time allstar could be prohibitive come next season. "we just dont have the salary requirements that allow us to keep Reed and Sweeney in Sox uniforms". Sweeney, who hit .320 last season, is looking for a multi-year deal, something the SOX are refusing to budge on. The Yankees, RedSox, and Cubs are all interested in both players. "we have a lot of young talent in the minors we can bring up to replace them with, luckily" said LaRussa.

yadosoxfan
03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
it gives me chills just thinking of how the sox are going to screw up developing reed, sweeney and anderson... :?: