PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Twins vs. Royals: Position Players


jordan23ventura
03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
POS:..CHW:.....................MIN:............... ..............KC:
1B......Paul Konerko.........Doug Funny.................Mike Sweeney
2B......Harris/Uribe...........Luis Rivas....................Tony Graffanino
3B......Joe Crede..............Cory Koskie.................Joe Randa
SS......Jose Valentin.........Christian Guzman........Angel Berroa
C........Miguel Olivo...........Henry Blanco...............Benito Santiago
DH.....Frank Thomas........Matt LeCroy?...............Matt Stairs
LF......Carlos Lee.............Shannon Stewart.........Aaron Gueil
RF......Magglio Ordonez...Jacques Jones..............Juan Gonzalez
CF......Aaron Rowand......Torii Hunter..................Carlos Beltran


As far as all-around offensive/defensive abilities:
If Konerko can rebound, we clearly have the better 1B.
We are competitive at 2B
Berroa easily takes SS
Competetive at C (not knowing what Blanco will do yet)
By far the better DH
LF goes to Carlos
RF goes to Maggs
Hunter and Beltran both will kill Rowand in Center

Defensively, MIN has the edge because of their outfield
KC should be the "Berroa and Beltran Show" this year
White Sox have the best package all-around as they have what looks to be a strong infield, potential to dominate offensively, and an average outfield defensively.

DSpivack
03-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Pitching?

Methinks Berroa does get the nod at SS, but Manos [:Hands Of Fate] is underrated. How many SS are 25 HR guys?

Huisj
03-16-2004, 06:58 PM
caling doug minkevitch minteikeiwicz or whatever his name is Doug Funny is a disgrace to one of the best cartoon creations of the '90s. Nickelodeon was truly at it's absolute peak in the mid 90s when they came out with Doug, The Adventures of Pete and Pete (possibly one of the most underappreciated brilliant shows of all time), and Roundhouse. Those shows are better than any of the awful fluff crap that station has on it all the time now.

jordan23ventura
03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
sorry, i guess you're right. the funkmaster D has nothing on Doug Funny

jordan23ventura
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
In order to do pitching I would have to read into the organization reports and stuff, way to much time

Mickster
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Joe Mauer will get the nod at C for Minn.

jordan23ventura
03-16-2004, 07:11 PM
I was a big heathcliff fan myself. "Heathcliff, Heathcliff no one should terrify the neighborhood"

The show w/ that moron that would sit on a log and play his stupid guitar sucked though ... I think Fred Penners Place or something but I could be wrong

wolcott10
03-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Speaking of Nickelodeon, I loved to watch Double Dare when I was a kid.

delben91
03-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
caling doug minkevitch minteikeiwicz or whatever his name is Doug Funny is a disgrace to one of the best cartoon creations of the '90s. Nickelodeon was truly at it's absolute peak in the mid 90s when they came out with Doug, The Adventures of Pete and Pete (possibly one of the most underappreciated brilliant shows of all time), and Roundhouse. Those shows are better than any of the awful fluff crap that station has on it all the time now.

Wasn't it "Doug Funnie"? Maybe I'm wrong though.

guillen4life13
03-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Of those three teams, here's the all star team made of the best of these three teams.

1B Sweeney (Meintkiewicz and Konehead have nothing on him)
2B Rivas
3B Koskie
SS Manos
LF Lee
CF Hunter
RF Maggs
C tossup (too much uncertainty-Mauer's a rookie, Olivo should improve a bit, and Santiago's winding down his career).

Starting Pitching probably goes to Minnesota or Chicago, but I'm not sure.

hold2dibber
03-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
As far as all-around offensive/defensive abilities:
If Konerko can rebound, we clearly have the better 1B.

If healthy, I take Sweeney over PK at 1B in a heart beat.

DSpivack
03-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
I was a big heathcliff fan myself.

Slocumb?

sas1974
03-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
How many SS are 25 HR guys?

Exactly 4:
[list=1]
A-Rod
Nomar
Jose
Tejada
[/list=1]

Mickster
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
As weak as the AL central is, don't rule out detroit or cleveland.

Actually, a crappy AL central sould make for quite an interesting season. There clearly are no "gimmie" games. Last year (at the beginning of the season) we were completely focused on Minn but KC "...came up and bit us on the ass" (to quote the Big Hurt).

We would be foolish to overlook Detroit and Cleveland this year....

munchman33
03-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Here's a comparison of projected rotations:



1 Buehrle Anderson Radke
2 Loaiza May Santana
3 Garland Affeldt Mays
4 Shoenweiss Gobble Lohse
5 Wright Appier Silva



I think Buerle, Loaiza, Garland win their teirs hands down, and a case can be made for Danny Wright as well.

Anyone else want to try the bullpens?

sas1974
03-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Here's a comparison of projected rotations:



1 Buehrle Anderson Radke
2 Loaiza May Santana
3 Garland Affeldt Mays
4 Shoenweiss Gobble Lohse
5 Wright Appier Silva



I think Buerle, Loaiza, Garland win their teirs hands down, and a case can be made for Danny Wright as well.

Anyone else want to try the bullpens?

I think Santana and Loaiza is a pretty close one. I would have to give Lohse the nod in the 4 spot.

rahulsekhar
03-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd have to rate it as:

1 - Buehrle-Anderson-Radke: Even between Mark & Radke. Very similar styles

2 - Loaize-May-Santana: Even. Both Loaiza and Santana have proven they can dominate, but not consistently or over a multi-year period

3 - Garland-Affeldt-Mays: Slight advantage Garland since he can at least pitch decently and Mays seems to still be recovering from his TJ

4 - Shoenweis-Gobble-Lohse: Advantage Twinkies, Lohse has shown' he's at least decent

5 - Wright-Appier-Silva: I'd say a tie between Wright & Appier, but Wright's got more upside.

So all in all - a slight advantage to the Twins, but it's ever so slight and is mostly based on Schoenweiss sucking it up.

Tell me again why we're including the Royals pitchers here????

fledgedrallycap
03-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Of those three teams, here's the all star team made of the best of these three teams.

1B Sweeney (Meintkiewicz and Konehead have nothing on him)
2B Rivas
3B Koskie
SS Manos
LF Lee
CF Hunter
RF Maggs
C tossup (too much uncertainty-Mauer's a rookie, Olivo should improve a bit, and Santiago's winding down his career).

Starting Pitching probably goes to Minnesota or Chicago, but I'm not sure.

I think Crede will overtake Koskie this in terms of offensive numbers. Additionally, this is probably the homer in me talking, but I would take Olivo at catcher due to his defensive ability and the unusually strong speed his posesses.

MRKARNO
03-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Tell me again why we're including the Royals pitchers here????

Because they are considered to be a contender in this division. Their pitching really sucks. The one saving grace for them could be Jeremy Affeldt, who could have a very good year this year if he avoids the blister problems. Anderson and May had fluky seasons last year and shouldnt repeat. Their strikeout numbers just dont back up their success, unlike Loaiza, who led the AL in K's. The cleveland rotation might be better than the royals' in 04. Just because of pitching, I dont think the Royals are going to be able to hang in there with the Twins and Sox

maurice
03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
C - pick 'em between Mauer and Olivo
1B - Sweeney by a WIDE margain, when he's healthy
2B - they all suck
SS - Berroa
3B - Koskie, but Crede should have a good year also
RF - Maggs
CF - Beltran
LF - CLee
DH - Hurt, also by a wide margain
SP - Sox
RP - Sox

We have to be optimistic about Sox pitching now, because all the illusions we acquire during Spring Training will be long gone by May.

MRKARNO
03-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by maurice
C - pick 'em between Mauer and Olivo
1B - Sweeney by a WIDE margain, when he's healthy
2B - they all suck
SS - Berroa
3B - Koskie, but Crede should have a good year also
RF - Maggs
CF - Beltran
LF - CLee
DH - Hurt, also by a wide margain
SP - Sox
RP - Sox

We have to be optimistic about Sox pitching now, because all the illusions we acquire during Spring Training will be long gone by May.

This is a pretty fair analysis thought I wonder how good Berroa really is. He was absolute crap in 2002 at the minor league level from what I hear so it will be interesting to see if he can do it again. Otherwise, Valentin plays mediocre to good defense and has consistantly hit 25-28 homers the past 4 years and might be the best of the bunch if Berroa doesnt repeat or improve.

maurice
03-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Berroa's AAA numbers were pretty bad, but he only played 77 games at that level. His other minor league numbers (and his major league numbers in his only full season) show that he should be able to get on base at a good rate and steal bases while providing decent pop. Even GMs who overvalue Valentin's HR totals must recognize that Berroa has more value, particularly given the substantial age (and salary) differential between the two players and Berroa's ability to start 162 games. If the Sox had the chance to swap Valentin for Berroa, they'd be nuts not to do it in an instant and immediately install Berroa at the top of the order.

ma-gaga
03-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Get rid of Joe Mays as a projected starting pitcher for the Twins. He's shelved this year with... something.

fhqwhgads
03-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Get rid of Joe Mays as a projected starting pitcher for the Twins. He's shelved this year with... something.

You beat me to it, ma-gaga. What is it with every freakin' website (ESPN, sportstline, etc.) listing Mays as a projected starter? If he comes back this year, it'll be August at the earliest.