PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame Foulke for this loss.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-08-2001, 11:14 PM
You can lay this one square at the feet of Howling, & Manuel. Everyone knows that you shouldn't use Keith in a non-save situation & they did. Unbelieveable.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2001, 03:20 AM
Somehow I got a double post.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2001, 03:20 AM
My problem with tonight came way before Foulke entered the game. Modern managers are too locked into a pattern. "It's the eighth inning, I have to put in my 'setup man'."

Kip Wells was looking great; why not let him pitch the eighth? Old school managers let a pitcher who looked good keep going; they weren't locked into the "setup man" "closer" mind set.

Pete Ward
09-09-2001, 08:44 AM
Agree 100%

Wells should have stayed in.

Very sad

FarWestChicago
09-09-2001, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Somehow I got a double post.

The techs at the NOC were changing routers at the time. Maybe you somehow went through both. :)

FarWestChicago
09-09-2001, 12:13 PM
Kip Wells was looking great; why not let him pitch the eighth? Old school managers let a pitcher who looked good keep going; they weren't locked into the "setup man" "closer" mind set.

Yeah the Good Kip/Bad Kip question had already been answered. All I can think of was Jerry was afraid Bad Kip would reappear and definitely didn't want to give "Gascan" Howling any inherited runners. After all, they are almost guaranteed to score. Of course, "Gascan" found a way to let his own runners score in this case.

ode to veeck
09-09-2001, 12:23 PM
hey the bad howling is wayyy more consistent in blowing the game than even the bad kip

shoulda left kip in by 10 country miles

FarWestChicago
09-09-2001, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
hey the bad howling is wayyy more consistent in blowing the game than even the bad kip

shoulda left kip in by 10 country miles

Oh, I agree. I was just trying to figure out some reason for Jerry's decision to send out Howling.