PDA

View Full Version : MVP Baseball 2004 talk

Jjav829
03-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Let's get some talk going here on MVP 2004. Share your favorite moments, best games, reactions to the game, etc.

After getting crushed by the Cubs 21-1 (or something like that) in my first game, I finally realized how to pitch. :smile: I kept selecting the pitch and using X to try to control the meters. So I constantly gave up HR's and hits. In my second game I took on the Twins. I was down 5-0 through 7 1/2 when I broke out the lumber. Back-to-back-to-back-to-back HR's by Frank, Maggs, Carlos, and Paulie left me within one. A Crede double and a few other hits tied the game. I had a weird moment though in the 8th. I had a runner on 3rd within 1 out and Konerko coming up and they decide to walk Konerko (1-3 with a HR) to face Crede (3-3 with 2 doubles and a single). Maybe the CPU felt setting up the double play was of importance because otherwise I have no reason why they would rather face Crede who was smoking than Konerko, even though he had one HR. I ended up winning the game by 1 when Marte almost blew the game for me in the 9th.

I'm assuming most people here play as the Sox, so what are your opinions on the players in the game. For me, Carlos and Crede have been my best hitters. Crede has been an absolute monster and going the other way, even when I'm not trying to. I player a game in Fenway where he had 3 gap shots to right center for doubles. Frank has way too many cold spots IMO. Other than that though, when it is left over the plate I usually crush it.

Does anyone else have problems with the pitching challenge? I can't win it! I played it once with me as Pedro and the CPU as Mike freaking Maroth. The damn thing cheats! I'm sitting there mixing speeds, locations, trying to hit the corners, etc. and guys like Roger Cedeno are taking me deep! Meanwhile I'm watching the CPU and the hitters are just sitting there taking pitches right over the plate for Maroth. They didn't take a single pitch against me even when I'd throw a perfect slider! If it wasn't a ball, they would swing. It's pissing me off. And that's not even getting into the hitting challenge where everything I hit with Arod manages to go foul to the right side, even when I'm trying to pull the ball! Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone have advice on this?

It's really a great game though overall. Well worth the money.

Tavarin
03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I've had a game between Boston and San Francisco that was tied at 0 until the top of the 14th, when Manny hit a solo shot that won the game.

I had a game between the White Sox and the Royals that was tied at 6-6 until the bottom of the 16th when Frank Thomas doubled home Carlos Lee for the winner.

The game before that, Mark Buerhle pitched a perfect game for 8 and 1/3 when Joe Randa hit a fluke single to break it up(the next batter promptly grounded into a double play to end the game)

My best player has actually been Aaron Rowand.

Pitching is quite easy for me, but hitting and fielding are a lot more difficult.

DSpivack
03-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Still haven't gotten a baseball game for my ps2 yet.

Is this the best game to get?

Has anyone tried more than one game?

soltrain21
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I am 19-17 with my Sox dynasty...

No one is batting over .300. Closest is Mags at .294 or so. Paulie is batting .205, talk about realistic!

I created Rauch, Gload, and Shingo. Gload is out for 60 days with a torn left shoulder :(: .

I've traded some AAA and AA guys for others in the minors. I picked up a pretty good first basemen that hits for average and a speedy SS with great contact rating. I expect them to replace Jose and Paulie at the seasons end.

Once Gload comes back I will probably put Paulie on the trading block, he sucks!

Fridaythe13thJason
03-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I need to create a few players, and while I can get their stats from online and their appearance, I need to know a little about their playing style to create them decently.

Does anyone know what pitches the following pitchers throw? and whether they are a hard thrower or not...

Rauch - Think he's a soft thrower with a curve and a sinker? maybe

Shingo - Soft thrower with a change and what else?

Jason Grili - ?

pearso66
03-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I am in 2nd to last, 1 game ahead of the twins, go figure, in my season. Crede and Carlos started out as my best hitters, and i sat Olivo in favor of Sandy, because Olivo was terrible at first. Then I gaev him another shot, and he has been tearing it up, he was hitting .135 before i sat him, and now he's up to .390. Carlos has been my best power hitter followed by Frank. Suprisingly, Buehrle has been my worst pitcher, along with Garland, Buehrle was 0-5 and I took him out of the rotation, and Garland is 0-6, but Josh Stewart is 6-1, and if it wasnt for him, I would only have 7 wins or so. I'm about to put Buehrle back into the rotatin, to see if he doesnt stop getting slammed, he has been great in relief. I put Cotts in for him, but he wasn't very good in his couple starts. Wright and Loaiza have been decent, but not great. I have no problem getting hits, but its timely hitting that kills me. I'll have 9 hits, but it will be like 1 an inning, like a triple, then 3 straight groundouts, geeze pretty realistic. Btu I am gettin better. The power is starting to come around, and I've realized, that Carlos is a better hitter right in front of Frank than in the 5 spot i had him in.

The only guy I created was Reed, although I think I made him a little too good, He's not great, but probably better than he is right now in his career. I also made Olivo faster since his speed in the game is very slow.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Hitting is so hard in this game! Like pearso66 said, I'll get like 8 hits a game but they'll all come in different innings. I finally snapped a 3 game losing streak today. It's frustrating at times, but I like how this sports game is actually a challenge!

Rocklive99
03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm doing bad in my dynasty but a lot of close games (that trip to TB helps!) I gave Aaron a shot, but he hasn't done anything, Willie has been a nice surprise. I really need to beef up the pen. Hopefully the Opening Day Roster update will fix the holes and create players needed.

SoxxoS
03-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Did you guys hear about the "left handed" glitch. I am pretty sure it's true...

Basically, left handers don't hit the ball nearly as far as right handers do. I have noticed it. I don't have a lot of lefty power hitters on my team, but everyone at ign.com is talking about it.

It's not a huge deal, but a big deal nonetheless. I have Corey Patterson on my team, and haven't hit a homer yet with him, and he has pretty decent pop. I have only played about 6 games, though.

On another note, I just did a fantasy draft with the Sox. I drafted players with speed and pop, that play decent defense. (Derrick Lee, Corey Patterson, Soriano, Renteria, Patterson). No, I not a Cubs fan, but Petterson, DLee and Patterson are GOOD in this game.

DonkeyKongerko
03-17-2004, 01:20 AM
I did notice something seemed wrong with the lefties when I did a homerun showdown using Jason Giambi. I won the derby somehow but I only hit one HR.

soltrain21
03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
I have no problem hitting homeruns with Jose. So I think all of the other players complaining about it just suck. :o:

SoxFan76
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Olivo is really slow in '03 too. I guess they don't realize that he's a fast catcher. I asked this in another thread, but nobody responded. I'm not a fan of buying the next year's sports game when I already have one. What I mean is, I have '03 already, so is it worth buying '04? The Madden games are plateauing, so I probably won't buy '05 since I have '04. Is MVP 2004 that much better than 2003? Thanks.

SoxFan76
03-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh yeah, what's a good site with updated rosters/player ratings. Not downloadable rosters since I don' t have those things to transfer data, just sites where they list updated ratings.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On another note, I just did a fantasy draft with the Sox. I drafted players with speed and pop, that play decent defense. (Derrick Lee, Corey Patterson, Soriano, Renteria, Patterson). No, I not a Cubs fan, but Petterson, DLee and Patterson are GOOD in this game.

Yeah, I did a draft too because I didn't feel like manually updating the roster. I drafted 2 scrub players, D Lee and the passion of the prior. D. Lee is a beast in this game and he was the first to get 10 HRs in the season. I got an email in the game saying that he was on pace to hit 130 HRs this season!

Fridaythe13thJason
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
'04 is way better than '03. A very different game.

www.operationsports.com is a good site.

SoxxoS
03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Also, on a related note, I am glad the nickname "Passion of the Prior" is catching on. I always wanted to come up with a nickname that everyone uses... :)

Bobby Thigpen
03-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Also, on a related note, I am glad the nickname "Passion of the Prior" is catching on. I always wanted to come up with a nickname that everyone uses...

You should be proud, that's a pretty good one. It's all my wife calls him now.

pearso66
03-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I made Olivo faster, since he is way too slow. I haven't noticed a lefty glitch, Valentin is really my only lefty, well Harris, but Jose has 2 HR's in 29 or so games, and Harris has 1. I love this game, I think it is much better than 2003. It's not as good as it was hyped up to be, well I hyped it up a ton in my head waiting to get it. But its definitally worth buying. if you return 2003, take it to Gamestop, they offered me the most, and just get instore credit and put it towards 2004. It won't be much, but its better than teh $3 that EB games offered.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I had a no hitter going into the 8th. I eventually gave up a hit. The line for Javier Vazquez was 2 hits, 1 hit batter, and 7 strike outs over 9 innings. I barely won with a HR from Nomah and D. Lee. Pitching is easy for me but it's so hard to hit.

Over By There
03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
I've heard the rosters are already out-of-date in the game and that sounded frustrating... for instance, ARod still with the Rangers? Is it enough to not buy the game? Or is it easy enough to tinker to get ARod to the Yanks, etc.?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Over By There
I've heard the rosters are already out-of-date in the game and that sounded frustrating... for instance, ARod still with the Rangers? Is it enough to not buy the game? Or is it easy enough to tinker to get ARod to the Yanks, etc.?
The cutoff date was 1/15/04. If they were to update the rosters, they'd probably have to push the game back to April because they need to test the game for weeks even if they make a small code change such as a roster update. It takes a mere 30 seconds to update the big moves such as arod to yanks, maddux to cubs, irod to tigers etc

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
i was tied with the yanks 7-7 in the bottom of the ninth, nobody any better on the bench so i had to let

:weewillie bat. he hits about .210. anyways he hits a shot out to bernie williams, bernie dives and misses, GAME WINNING INSIDE THE PARK HOMER for little willie.

also on my dynasty rowand is killin. he is hittin .380 and averages atleast a homer a game. konerko is typical pauly - .205 avg, 10 homers in april. and CLEE is great so far too. the whole lineup is powerful with everyone going deep alot except willie harris and jamie burke. i put shoenewise in the rotation and he dominates teams so far. i love the game.

Rocklive99
03-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Boo! 7th inning stretch at the Cell, tight game with the Yanks, and the announcer asks his partner about singing at Wrigley :angry: This game is realistic...

SoxxoS
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Boo! 7th inning stretch at the Cell, tight game with the Yanks, and the announcer asks his partner about singing at Wrigley :angry: This game is realistic...

Don't let Hangar know about that...

EA sports will get a e-mail so fast their head will spin. :)

Thunderstruck30
03-18-2004, 09:00 PM
I was tied in the bottom of the 9th with Thomas on 2nd. Ordonez hits a weak little foul ball near the dugout. Suddenly the announcer says 'A 2 run home run for Ordonez!!!' Ordonez didnt even run the bases. He went to 1st then ran across the infield and into the Sox dugout. Oh well, I won the game anyways.

HITMEN OF 77
03-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I was tied in the bottom of the 9th with Thomas on 2nd. Ordonez hits a weak little foul ball near the dugout. Suddenly the announcer says 'A 2 run home run for Ordonez!!!' Ordonez didnt even run the bases. He went to 1st then ran across the infield and into the Sox dugout. Oh well, I won the game anyways.

LOL!!

Kuzman
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
in pro mode im leading the league in home runs with paul konerko.. he has 13 and im 7 games in the season.. ive found out how to hit the homers.. lol im gonna up the diffuculty soon

danjames
03-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Rowand is WAY too good in MVP on Pro, at this point. 14 games into the season and he's got about 8 home runs. He is a beast.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by danjames
Rowand is WAY too good in MVP on Pro, at this point. 14 games into the season and he's got about 8 home runs. He is a beast.
Uribe was pretty good for me. Hopefully Rowand and Uribe are as good in real life as they are in MVP. I just started spring break so I'll be playing a lot of MVP. :D:

pearso66
03-20-2004, 12:41 AM
wow Uribe and Rowand blow for me, along with Buehrle and Borchard, and Cotts for that matter. And I can't hit to save my life. I must just suck or something

Kuzman
03-20-2004, 03:59 AM
oh ya anyone used cotts yet.. how bout his pitchers

2 seam fb
4 seam fb.

i dont think the other team will think he'll dish the heat every ball!!!

hsnterprize
03-20-2004, 11:47 AM
If you have the PC version of MVP Baseball 2004, you'll be glad to know there are downloadable updates you can install into your game that'll actually put an even more realistic feel and look to the game.

Here's a link to a site I often check out, and am more than anxious to start downloading from once I get some improvements done to my PC...

SimCentral.net's baseball downloads and boards. (http://baseball.simcentral.net/index/)

With this site, once all the updates are ready for the 2004 season, you can download zip files of everything from current rosters, uniform improvements, to stadium upgrades. Rosters are usually updated every 2 weeks or so depending on how much action there is. Uniforms are updated to improve their appearance and add any details to them like patches, alternate uni's not included on the game, etc. Stadiums are improved by changing the default "ads" on the game to pictures of actual ads in the real stadium. Grass designs are often changed too to reflect an actual in-stadium view. Users of the site upload the updates on their own...this isn't from any particular company. Also, if you use the site at all, be patient...not every team, uniform, and stadium is updated as of now. Improvements gradually come in as the season progresses. And as a forewarning, I don't think there will be a U.S. Cellular Field upgrade reflecting the new upper deck. Users will definitely try, I assume, but don't get your hopes up towards anything major. Last year, someone tried to a "cell" update featuring a black outfield wall and advertising on the back billboards that was up back then. What'll happen this year...I don't know.

Check out the site and enjoy the work. There are already links on the site to pictures of already completed stadia, so if you don't believe me when I say whoever does these updates is pretty good, then see for yourself.

Jjav829
03-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
wow Uribe and Rowand blow for me, along with Buehrle and Borchard, and Cotts for that matter. And I can't hit to save my life. I must just suck or something

Rowand has just started to get good for me. Maggs is sick. I played the Red Sox yesterday and he went 5-5. My first 3 AB's with him were all triples! Uribe sucks for me. I don't even play him. Willie hasn't been all that good either.

What mode are you playing on?

I can't wait for a roster update. Does anyone know what you need for the roster update? Do you just need the network adapter?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-20-2004, 03:50 PM
yep. all you need is the network adapter and about 1 mb free space on your memory card. Although if you've already started a dynasty, you won't be able to load the new roster into the dynasty. You'll only be able to load it for exhibition games and online.

SoxFan76
03-20-2004, 03:51 PM
I went to Best Buy today, and they were sold out of this game. I guess it's been flying off the shelves since it came out. I'll have to go next week I guess.

soltrain21
03-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Rowand has just started to get good for me. Maggs is sick. I played the Red Sox yesterday and he went 5-5. My first 3 AB's with him were all triples! Uribe sucks for me. I don't even play him. Willie hasn't been all that good either.

What mode are you playing on?

I can't wait for a roster update. Does anyone know what you need for the roster update? Do you just need the network adapter?

Turn up the outfielder speed to about 10 or 15...and slow down the baserunners a few notches.

That will get you more realistic doubles and triples...

Jjav829
03-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Turn up the outfielder speed to about 10 or 15...and slow down the baserunners a few notches.

That will get you more realistic doubles and triples...

Actually I have no problems with the doubles and triples. They were all pretty realistic triples. I was playing in spacious fenway and these were all to deep center. Two of them bounced around a little in the triangle in center. The other was actually because I drew the throw home and went to 3rd on the throw. Frank was just barely thrown out at home. Otherwise I haven't had many problems with doubles and triples.

Jjav829
03-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I went to Best Buy today, and they were sold out of this game. I guess it's been flying off the shelves since it came out. I'll have to go next week I guess.

Try Circuit City. I went to Best Buy and they were sold out, then tried Gamestop and they were sold out, but Circuit City still had about a dozen copies or so. Also, did you ask them to check for more? Sometimes they have more in the back that just haven't been put out on the shelves.

danjames
03-20-2004, 06:01 PM

Haha. Borchard has a weak stick. I sent him down to AAA along with Cotts. Cotts only has two pitches (BOTH fastballs! Mercy!). I couldn't get through the 2nd time through the order with Neal. Oh well. I upped Porzio and he did well in his first start. 4 runs in 5 innings. I'll take it.

pearso66
03-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I actually traded away Cotts, i was offered 2 decent players for Cotts and Adkins, I don't need 2 fast balls as the only pitches. I also traded away Marte, unfortunately, because he was complaining everyday, Id get anew email every day, but i did get a decent pitcher, and a STUD CF. He's going between AA and AAA, but he has good contact and 99 speed. He'll either be comin up this season or next.

BTW, my best pitcher right now is Josh Stewart, go figure, he is 7-1, and my worst in the rotation is Buehrle followed by Garland.

CWSGuy406
03-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Hmm, I haven't started my franchise yet, but if you want to cheat a bit, and get a ton of MVP Points, simulate whole seasons with the Yanks. You get like 15,000 points as long as you win the division.

Just so you guys know, geekrosters.com will have a roster, with ALL of the minor league teams and their actual players out tommorow night. The guy who puts the rosters out also fixes currently made players, so I wouldn't doubt that Cotts will get some better pitches. BTW, why is that bum Paniagua on the Sox roster...? :angry:

Anyways, I'm thinking of making a few trades, what do you guys think of these:

-Konerko, Wright, and Probably a minor leaguer for Ishii or Washburn. I might try to get Mota from LA as well, adding something from my minors.

-I'm thinking long and hard about making the "blockbuster" deal that never happened. Magglio, Koch, and Valentin for Nomar, Damon/Nixon, and Williamson. My only concern would be that If I took Damon, the computer wouldn't be smart enough to move Nixon to CF. I also don't know If I'm getting enough for Mags, as they've made Koch pretty good in this game.

SoxFan76
03-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Try Circuit City. I went to Best Buy and they were sold out, then tried Gamestop and they were sold out, but Circuit City still had about a dozen copies or so. Also, did you ask them to check for more? Sometimes they have more in the back that just haven't been put out on the shelves.

I was actually going to go to Target, but then I remembered I'm buying this game with Best Buy gift certificates. So hopefully next week it will be there.

StepsInSC
03-21-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Hmm, I haven't started my franchise yet, but if you want to cheat a bit, and get a ton of MVP Points, simulate whole seasons with the Yanks. You get like 15,000 points as long as you win the division.

Just so you guys know, geekrosters.com will have a roster, with ALL of the minor league teams and their actual players out tommorow night. The guy who puts the rosters out also fixes currently made players, so I wouldn't doubt that Cotts will get some better pitches. BTW, why is that bum Paniagua on the Sox roster...? :angry:

Anyways, I'm thinking of making a few trades, what do you guys think of these:

-Konerko, Wright, and Probably a minor leaguer for Ishii or Washburn. I might try to get Mota from LA as well, adding something from my minors.

-I'm thinking long and hard about making the "blockbuster" deal that never happened. Magglio, Koch, and Valentin for Nomar, Damon/Nixon, and Williamson. My only concern would be that If I took Damon, the computer wouldn't be smart enough to move Nixon to CF. I also don't know If I'm getting enough for Mags, as they've made Koch pretty good in this game.

Updated rosters can be found at www.operationsports.com. They are listed in the forums, you have to register and all, but I downloaded the one's created by PooDiddy and they have all the minor leaguers named and whatnot.

Jjav829
03-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Updated rosters can be found at www.operationsports.com. They are listed in the forums, you have to register and all, but I downloaded the one's created by PooDiddy and they have all the minor leaguers named and whatnot.

I'm assuming you need a sharkport for these? How much does a sharkport cost and where can I buy one?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-21-2004, 01:27 AM
they don't have sharkports anymore. There's an x-port or something like that and the action replay, both will run you about $30. I've been meaning to get an Xport so I can just put all my saves onto the PC instead of buying new memory cards :>

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-22-2004, 04:47 PM
What's the farthest HR any of you have hit? I hit a 539 ft moonshot with Nomar earlier. :D:

soltrain21
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
502 with Frank...

Jjav829
03-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Ok, so who wants to help me? I'm struggling bad here and starting to get pissed at this game. I was playing on rookie and that became too easy so I switched to Pro. Now I suck. I mean really really suck. Pitching wise at least. I don't know what else to do. I'm not leaving pitches over the plate. I try to hit the corners, I vary speeds/pitches, I work to guys cold zones, and I still get lit up! I player as the Scrubs before so I could use Prior, and I faced one of the most pathetic offenses, the Dodgers. They killed me! Juan Encarnacion was hitting opposite field HR's off me. Hideo Nomo was getting hits off me! I played the Pirates earlier and Kip Wells lit me up! And I don't just mean hits, I mean they were crushing my pitches! I'm lost here. It's not even fun anymore. I don't know why I am struggling like this. I stop the pitch meter extremely close to the right side and almost always stop it again in the green. If the pitch is so much as slightly out of the zone, they take it. I throw it low and away, and they crush a HR to center! Try to throw a breaking ball low and in, it's a gap shot double. It seems like the only time they swing and miss or take a pitch, is when I don't hit the green area. If I stop it short the pitch doesn't hit my target, but they will take it or miss sometimes.

Anyone have any tips? It's getting really frustrating when I'm using great pitchers, executing my pitches perfectly, varying what I throw, working the corners, hitting my spots, and STILL getting lit up! It's not like I'm leaving these pitches over the heart of the plate. I don't know what else to do. This game is getting less real to me. Any tips?! HELP!

pearso66
03-22-2004, 11:08 PM
I know i sucked like that when i first started playing on pro. It just takes some time, you'll get better. did you play MVP 2003 last year? if you did you have to pitch similar to that to be successful. I think that's why my pitching came around quicker than hitting.

Jjav829
03-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I know i sucked like that when i first started playing on pro. It just takes some time, you'll get better. did you play MVP 2003 last year? if you did you have to pitch similar to that to be successful. I think that's why my pitching came around quicker than hitting.

I didn't play MVP 2003. Any tips that might help? What do you mean by pitch like 2003?

soltrain21
03-22-2004, 11:33 PM
You have to work the batter. Throw balls, dont use the same pattern every batter. Throw off speed stuff out of the strike zone. This stuff works.

Dont let the meter fill up all the way all the time either. Take some speed or movement off....it works..

pearso66
03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Exactly what soltrain said. You can't just switch pitches, you have to not throw them as hard as possible everytime. If he expects a curveball and you put everything on a curveball, he'll hit it, but if he expects a curveball, and your ball doesnt move as much as it could, he is thrown off. you also hvae to pick corners, somtimes double up in the same spot. You can't have any pattern for batters. Start 1 guy off with a 4-seamer, then the next with a curve or somethin, then a 2=seamer, etc. or sometimes double up 2 fastballs. I've struck guys out with 3 straight 4-seamers in the inside upper corner. Just let it be random.

HITMEN OF 77
03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
So is Magglio on the cover of MVP 2004? I have only seen the one with AP on the cover.

soltrain21
03-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Nah, a kid at Operation Sports made it for me.

Pujols is the real cover boy.

HITMEN OF 77
03-23-2004, 04:20 PM
That would explain why I could never find it. :D:

Jjav829
03-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Wow, see this is why it helps to actually read about the game controls and not assume you can just figure it out. I found out my problem. When I selected my pitch, I only pressed the pitch button, instead of holding it. It wasn't until I read the screen waiting for my game to load that I realized that I should be holding it until the meter filled up. Now my pitches are MUCH more effective and I am dominating hitters. So I'll only be bitching about my hitting from now on....hopefully. :D:

BTW, has anyone started a franchise yet by doing a fantasy draft, and if so, what's your team look like?

Here's mine.

2B Keith Ginter/Matt Kata platoon
RF Austin Kearns
SS Nomar Garciaparra
3B Aubrey Huff
CF Preston Wilson
1B Phil Nevin
LF Pat Burrell
DH Michael Cuddyer
C Mike Matheny

Not the greatest offense which is my weakness so far. My starting rotation is much better:

Mark Prior
Randy Wolf
Wade Miller
Aaron Harang
Kurt Ainsworth

In my pen I have Biilly Wagner, Damaso Marte, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Danny Kolb, Juan Cruz, and Shawn Chacon. I also managed to get Rafael Soriano for my AAA team so I can slide him into either my rotation or pen if needed. I got some good AAA prospects including Joe Borchard, and some other made up guy given the name Borchard who is better than Joe so I have two good corner Borchard's. My middle infield is solid with Khalil Greene and Richie Weeks.

I lost my first two games of the season against the Royals because my offense is struggling. But at least I held them down offensively considering Arod is on the Royals. BTW, their best pitcher is Pedro Astacio! :D:

Anyone else wanna share their teams? Whether created or just ways you've changed your team if you started your dynasty with the Sox roster.

SoxxoS
03-25-2004, 09:19 AM
My roster after my fantasy draft:

Renteria
Soriano
Patterson
D. Lee
P. Burrell
M. Matheny
P. Feliz
T. Salmon
N. Perez

Beckett
Fossum
Franklin
Kennedy (real good cheap lefty)
Clement

Isringhausen
Soriano
S. Kline
Spooneybarger (he's awesome)
E. Yan

That is the basis of my team. I'm .5 out of first, I need another power hitter. Maybe another starter, b/c Ryan Franklin is horrible. My bullpen is awesome. Isringhausen is a great closer.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
But at least I held them down offensively considering Arod is on the Royals. BTW, their best pitcher is Pedro Astacio! :D:

Pedro Astacio is my girlfriend's cousin. He can't be that bad. :D:

Dadawg_77
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Well the Sox cap is a bitch in the second year. Sim most of the first year, and won the Series after a 105 win season.

Carlos Beltran was the World Series MVP and my CF, but demanded too much money so I had to let him go. Traded for Frank mid way through the season and he wanted a 4 year 3 million per deal, couldn't give that contract to a 36 year old, so sadly Frank is gone.

First Year Team

Staff
Mark Prior (Cy Young)
Brandon Webb
Johan Santana
Brandon Claussen
Roy Oswalt

The Pen was the cheapest guys I could find and Tom Gordon who was traded to free up cap room for Frank, plus he was sucking it up.

Field
C> Jason LaRule, Ramon Castro
1B> Frank Thomas, Scott Hattenburg
2B> Mike Young, Ron Belliard
3B> Miguel Cabrera, Joe Crede
SS> Deivi Cruz
OF> CPA
OF> Carlo Beltran
OF> Juan Pierre
OF> Xavier Nady (Traded for Frank)
DH> Russ Branyan

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Here's my fantasy team

C: Mike Matheny
1b: Derrek Lee
2b: Ray Durham
SS: Nomah Garciaparra
3b: Ty Wigginton
RF: Ryan Klesko
CF: Marlon Byrd
LF: Miguel Cabrera
DH: Paul Konerko vs lefties, Timo Perez vs righties
Bench: Ken Harvey 1b/DH
Bench: Adrian Brown

Pitching
Mark Prior
Javier Vazquez
Mark Buehrle
Jake Peavy
Wilson Alvarez

Bullpen
Rafael Soriano
Gary Glover
Paul Quantrill
Damaso Marte
Jose Acevedo
Tim Redding
Keith Foulke

I have WAY too many relievers. Most of them whine about the lack of playing time so I've traded/released some of them. Soriano is my biggest innings eater and Quantrill has been the best overall. Foulke has blown about 4 or 5 saves for me and I'll probably put Quantrill in as my closer soon. My pitching is good but I have a hard time scoring runs. I'll get guys on base and then ground out into double plays or just hit 3 straight fly balls to OF. I've noticed nearly everyone here who did a fantasy draft has Mark Prior!

Jjav829
03-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I have WAY too many relievers. Most of them whine about the lack of playing time so I've traded/released some of them. Soriano is my biggest innings eater and Quantrill has been the best overall. Foulke has blown about 4 or 5 saves for me and I'll probably put Quantrill in as my closer soon. My pitching is good but I have a hard time scoring runs. I'll get guys on base and then ground out into double plays or just hit 3 straight fly balls to OF. I've noticed nearly everyone here who did a fantasy draft has Mark Prior!

No kidding. A lot of Mark Prior love going around here. I can understand that, but what's with the Mike Matheny love? I drafted him, but he's been bad for me. A.J. Hinch is my backup and I've been starting him more and more because he hits better. I have the same problem with hitting. I'll do a good job of getting a guy on, and the next AB is a DP. I'm the MVP Baseball 2004 Paul Konerko. Same with the popups. I try to be patient but still don't get a lot of hits. Hopefully more hits will come with time. The good news is I am dominant with my pitching staff so barring any big mistakes, I don't usually need more than 5 runs.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-25-2004, 07:09 PM
yeah, matheny is terrible. He is batting a Willie Harris-like .200 and he's slower than paul konerko! The lowest BA on my team is paul konerko at .160. I don't give him a lot of ABs though anymore.

Jjav829
03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
yeah, matheny is terrible. He is batting a Willie Harris-like .200 and he's slower than paul konerko! The lowest BA on my team is paul konerko at .160. I don't give him a lot of ABs though anymore.

In my league, PK is one of the top hitters right now. He's an early MVP favorite. Lets hope this year we see the PK in my league and not the PK in yours. :smile:

As for Matheny, I'm not even sure why I selected him. He's a guy known for his defense/handling of the pitching staff. With this game, that's kind of useless. I drafted Johnny Estrada for my AAA team and he's tearing it up so far, so I'm probably going to promote him in a week or so and trade Matheny for whatever I can get for him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Here's a post from one of the EA guys from the EA message board..

Guys,

Just a quick head's up that a server side patch wil be applied early tomorrow morning that will, hopefully, alieve some of the desync issues the online game has been experiencing. The patch will be on the back end but will require a system restart. This isn't supposed to happen till early in the morning pacific time so if you are in the game at the time, you might get booted offline.

With the fix we are going to update the rosters. And, yes, A Rod is on the right team and other players have been shifted correctly. I know for a fact that a few players, because of contract limitations, haven't been put on the right teams yet but I am sure this will be fixed once the season starts.

I appreciate everyone's patience and please continue posting in here if you have issues. The Developers rely on the these boards as their primary information source from the commmunity.

Can't wait for the updated roster but I'm leaving tomorrow morning so I won't be able to DL it and play with the new roster for a few days. :(:

ChiSox14305635
03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I made Olivo faster, since he is way too slow. I haven't noticed a lefty glitch, Valentin is really my only lefty, well Harris, but Jose has 2 HR's in 29 or so games, and Harris has 1. I love this game, I think it is much better than 2003. It's not as good as it was hyped up to be, well I hyped it up a ton in my head waiting to get it. But its definitally worth buying. if you return 2003, take it to Gamestop, they offered me the most, and just get instore credit and put it towards 2004. It won't be much, but its better than teh $3 that EB games offered.

Some of the ratings for the Sox were horrible. Olivo almost as slow as Sandy? Borchard with a 40 power rating? Garland with no sinker? Who did these rankings, Ronnie Woo Woo?

Kittle
03-29-2004, 01:51 PM
I was wondering if anybody has it (or has gotten to play it) and if the new roof on The Cell is present. Just curious...

SEALgep
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
I was wondering if anybody has it (or has gotten to play it) and if the new roof on The Cell is present. Just curious... Didn't notice it yet, but I will find out. The game is pretty cool though, a lot better than 2003 IMO.

Chrisaway
03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Nope its not in it.

lowesox
03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Is that an Xbox game? I'm trying to decide which baseball game is the best for Xbox.

Kittle
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Chrisaway
Nope its not in it.

What a bunch of crap. I'll bet that any minute rennovation to The Urinal would've made it in. Grrrrrr! :angry:

Thanks for the info anyway...

MRKARNO
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
This thread needs to be moved on over to the Parking lot

Kittle
03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Is that an Xbox game? I'm trying to decide which baseball game is the best for Xbox.

IIRC, it's available on all three platforms. All things considered, I like the EA Sports baseball series the best, although some of the All Star Baseball incarnations were slightly more realistic, IMO.

Kittle
03-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
This thread needs to be moved on over to the Parking lot

Why? I'm not allowed to ask if the recent Cell rennovations are included in a popular video game?

pudge
03-29-2004, 02:06 PM
BTW, if you're debating on this game, don't debate any longer. Baseball video games have really sucked the past 10 years or so, but this game has everything... the amount of fielder animations is amazing, the way the crowd reacts to the game is the best I've ever seen, and best of all, you can play games with your AA and AAA teams. There are also a ton of jerseys, stadiums, and old-time players. The Sox alone have their current jerseys, alternate jerseys, 1983 jerseys and 1919 jerseys.

On top of all that, the gameplay is well done, and the results seem to be pretty realistic.

My only real disappointment is that you can't create your own franchise. But seriously, I'm a stickler when it comes to this, yet I'd recommend this game to anyone.

Jjav829
03-29-2004, 02:13 PM
It is very realistic, but does it seem to anyone else like the use of dives is way too frequent? It seems like there are 3-4 diving catches in every game I play.

BTW, I had my best offensive game yesterday. Every player in my lineup had a HR. Nomar and Huff both had 2 as I shutout the Yanks 18-0. :smile:

Nomar is finally heating up for me. I've found his opposite field power. I have 8 HR's with him in the past 4 games I've played, all to right/right center. No thoughts of moving up to All-Star yet though because I am still struggling a little offensively. The 18 run, 11 HR game was a fluke.

Jjav829
03-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Why? I'm not allowed to ask if the recent Cell rennovations are included in a popular video game?

I moved it since there is already a thread for MVP and the question has been answered now.

Dadawg_77
03-29-2004, 02:16 PM
It is very realistic, but does it seem to anyone else like the use of dives is way too frequent? It seems like there are 3-4 diving catches in every game I play.

BTW, I had my best offensive game yesterday. Every player in my lineup had a HR. Nomar and Huff both had 2 as I shutout the Yanks 18-0. :smile:

Nomar is finally heating up for me. I've found his opposite field power. I have 8 HR's with him in the past 4 games I've played, all to right/right center. No thoughts of moving up to All-Star yet though because I am still struggling a little offensively. The 18 run, 11 HR game was a fluke.

If you set the fielding slider to 15, it takes the diving catches way down. But I know what you are talking about, my games are just web gems and home runs.

MRKARNO
03-29-2004, 02:18 PM

The thread has more to do with the game than with baseball and we already have a big thread in the parking lot so it just got added on.

Kittle
03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The thread has more to do with the game than with baseball and we already have a big thread in the parking lot so it just got added on.

I didn't know about the thread in the Parking Lot. Had I known, I never would've posted in the Clubhouse.

I just wanted to know about the new Cell roof in the game, which does pertain to the Sox. Didn't mean to start a thread about the video game in the other board.

leftbehindbuck
04-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Just wondering has anyone else noticed that Buerhle has no cutter in MVP Baseball 2004....he has a 2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, slider, and a changeup. Just wondering how you guys feel about that and wondering if anyone else has noticed that mistake.
Buck :gulp:

pearso66
04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
He also has a curveball. It is his same pitches from 2003 with i believe the extra being a slider

Chrisaway
04-02-2004, 12:34 AM
IIRC, it's available on all three platforms. All things considered, I like the EA Sports baseball series the best, although some of the All Star Baseball incarnations were slightly more realistic, IMO.

they done even have the porch in center field yet. but I dont think any of the other baseball games are gonna have it either. MVP blows away all teh other games this year rest assured. I have it for Xbox and im considering even getting it for ps2 just so i can play online.

Chrisaway
04-02-2004, 12:35 AM
He also has a curveball. It is his same pitches from 2003 with i believe the extra being a slider

I've been getting mad K's with his yakker since the 2003 game.

chisox06
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
they done even have the porch in center field yet. but I dont think any of the other baseball games are gonna have it either. MVP blows away all teh other games this year rest assured. I have it for Xbox and im considering even getting it for ps2 just so i can play online.

World Series was pretty bad ass last year so Im gonna wait so I can compare the two. Although Im getting anxious to just say screw it and buy MVP, by the looks of things I wont be dissaspointed.

SoxxoS
04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
On a side note-There is absolutely a lefty glitch in this game. I hit a 565 foot homer with AROD yesterday (I was the AL all stars) and I had a bunch of good hitters, with power from the left side, and IF I hit a homer with them, it would never top out over 400 feet. See if you notice the same thing...

Also, how is everyone doing with MVP points and unlocking stuff. I hardly have any MVP points, b/c I don't think they give them out every game in dynasty mode...I have hardly unlocked anything.

soltrain21
04-02-2004, 01:03 PM
On a side note-There is absolutely a lefty glitch in this game. I hit a 565 foot homer with AROD yesterday (I was the AL all stars) and I had a bunch of good hitters, with power from the left side, and IF I hit a homer with them, it would never top out over 400 feet. See if you notice the same thing...

Also, how is everyone doing with MVP points and unlocking stuff. I hardly have any MVP points, b/c I don't think they give them out every game in dynasty mode...I have hardly unlocked anything.

I only have the 83 home and away uniforms unlocked, that is the only thing I CARED to unlock..

Fridaythe13thJason
04-02-2004, 01:06 PM
I only have the 83 home and away uniforms unlocked, that is the only thing I CARED to unlock..

I want to get the 19 ones too...but they're expensive.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
I have both of the 83 unis and 1919 unis. There are a few white sox legends to be unlocked but those are expensive. I still wish they would've had Comiskey Park in it. I use Tiger Stadium a lot during exhibition games against the Tigers.

sas1974
04-02-2004, 01:14 PM

I think you have to save your User Profile as well before you shut down. I am not 100% sure on this one, but I noticed that I would build up some points and if I didn't save the User Profile before I turned off the XBOX, those points were lost.

SoxxoS
04-02-2004, 01:34 PM

How did you guys get the MVP points...just exhibition games?

I threw a no hitter yesterday with Loiaza and it was only worth 150 points...

sas1974
04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
How did you guys get the MVP points...just exhibition games?

I threw a no hitter yesterday with Loiaza and it was only worth 150 points...

Look at the MVP Points Checklist. There are many ways to get MVP Points. 2, 3 and 4 homer games. Batting .600, .800, .1000 w/ a player. There are lots of repeatable ways to get points.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah, make sure you save your profile everytime before you turn off the console. I was used to madden auto saving it and then I noticed I lost out on a lot of points because I wasn't saving it in MVP manually.

pearso66
04-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Actually you have to save the profile after every game. It only gives you points for the last game you played, so it has to be saved all the time.as for what I have unlocked, i have all the Sox jersey's, the Tigers jerseys, as I was gonna play my friend who's a Tiger fan so i figured we could play throwback. I also got Tiger stadium and Ebbetts? or what ever it was that the Giants played in in New York, I forget which it is.

DSpivack
04-03-2004, 01:39 AM
I also got Tiger stadium and Ebbetts? or what ever it was that the Giants played in in New York, I forget which it is.

Dodgers played at Ebbets Field. Giants played at Polo Grounds.

pearso66
04-03-2004, 09:44 AM
I knew it wasnt Ebbets actually, but I couldn't remember the Polo grounds for some reason last night, I just put Ebbets because I knew someone would know what i was talking about.

CWSGuy406
04-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Easiest way to get MVP Points is to simulate whole seasons with real good teams - like the Yankees.

I'm 5-1 so far, I've traded Mags, Valentin, and Koch for Damon, Nomar, and Williamson. I've traded PK and someone else for Ishii. I've traded Shoenweis and some others for Kris Benson. I've also traded Borchard and Majewski for Juan Cruz.

My Lineup is:

CF Damon
LF Lee
DH Thomas
SS Nomar
3B Crede
RF Rowand
1B Gload
C Olivo
2B Harris/Uribe

Staff of Buerhle, Loaiza, Garland, Ishii, Benson. Bullpen of Takatsu, Wright, Williamson, Wunsch, Politte, Mota, and Marte.

bennyw41
04-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I am using XBox, has anyone bowled over the catcher yet? I keep trying, but he always just slides in, or walks in. Any luck for anyone?

Also, when i do a dynasty on no budget, it always drops my best players for some reason....wierd...i usually do a dynasty with a budget and trade away all my pissed off players. Mixed results usually

MarqSox
04-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Through 25 games, Thomas has 26 home runs. And that's with the difficulty level on Pro! :gulp:

SoxxoS
04-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Soriano is unbelieveable in this game.

He is on pace for 70 homers, he has 89 speed, and he plays good 2B. Plus, I love his stance at the plate.

I haven't bowled over a catcher yet, either.

Kuzman
04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
buddy and i are sharing the reigns on a dynasty and we did a fantasy draft...

C: Dan Wilson
1b: Derek Lee
2b: Fernando Vina
SS: Alex Gonzalez
3b: Scott Speizio
LF: Milton Bradley
CF: Torri Hunter
RF: Ichiro Suzuki
DH: Paul Konerko

SP: Pedro Martinez
SP: Brandon Webb:
SP: Danny Graves
SP: John Burkett
SP: Derrek Oliver (dont think thats his first name)

then the relivers i cant remember, im at work so i dont have the game in front of me.. but i do know that we have..

Damaso Marte
LaTroy Hawkins
Keith Foulke

pretty solid team, hitting is there and the homeruns are constantly flying with Lee, Hunter, and Konerko.. we have decided to up the diffuculty because we found it to be too easy.. we are currently on a 29 game win streak :)

SoxFan76
04-04-2004, 03:13 PM
This is killing me. Two weeks ago I went to Best Buy and they were sold out of this game. We spent a week in Florida, we got back yesterday, and I was so sure that Best Buy would have a copy of the game by now. So I go today, and they are sold out AGAIN, and the little nerdy salesman tells me to come back in TWO WEEKS to see if they have a copy. TWO WEEKS? How long has this game been out, and they still don't have a copy. I would go somewhere else, but I got so many Best Buy gift certificates that I'm not using my own money on the game. I am so pissed.

SoxxoS
04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
This is killing me. Two weeks ago I went to Best Buy and they were sold out of this game. We spent a week in Florida, we got back yesterday, and I was so sure that Best Buy would have a copy of the game by now. So I go today, and they are sold out AGAIN, and the little nerdy salesman tells me to come back in TWO WEEKS to see if they have a copy. TWO WEEKS? How long has this game been out, and they still don't have a copy. I would go somewhere else, but I got so many Best Buy gift certificates that I'm not using my own money on the game. I am so pissed.

You need to go to another Best Buy, the game has been out for 3 weeks, it shouldn't be sold out anywhere.

SoxFan76
04-04-2004, 04:08 PM
I live about 10 minutes west of Rt 59 and Ogden. Where is another relatively close Best Buy?

HITMEN OF 77
04-04-2004, 07:24 PM
You need to go to another Best Buy, the game has been out for 3 weeks, it shouldn't be sold out anywhere.

I went to the Best Buy out in here my area and guess what, they have zero. Well actually they have 1 but its for Gamecube and I would rather have for my PS2 than my Gamecube. They (Best Buy dude) said its one of the best selling PS2 games of all time. I don't know about that though.

soltrain21
04-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
I went to the Best Buy out in here my area and guess what, they have zero. Well actually they have 1 but its for Gamecube and I would rather have for my PS2 than my Gamecube. They (Best Buy dude) said its one of the best selling PS2 games of all time. I don't know about that though.

Go to a Gamestop or Electronic Boutiqe..

lths06
04-04-2004, 08:55 PM
I know this thread is about MVP, but FYI All Star Baseball 2005 will be the only game to have the upper deck renovations and fan deck in the game, and it looks great. I think I may get this game for those reasons alone

soltrain21
04-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by lths06
I know this thread is about MVP, but FYI ASB 2005 will have the upper deck renovations and fan deck in the game, and it looks great.

Yeah..ASB always has great stadiums.

SoxxoS
04-04-2004, 09:32 PM
It's all about the gameplay for me.

SoxFan76
04-04-2004, 09:50 PM

That may be true, but I have 2002, and it sucks as far as gameplay. I'll stick with EA Sports. After all, if it's in the game.

E A SPORTS!!!!

......It's in the game.

soltrain21
04-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah..the gameplay is HORRIBLE, but it has some very nice features.

Chrisaway
04-05-2004, 02:52 AM
i have everything unlocked. thanks Xbox action replay :D:

Chrisaway
04-05-2004, 02:54 AM

I hate asb i always had to play that one with auto fielding. That just makes a baseball game no fun IMO.

Chrisaway
04-06-2004, 05:06 AM
hey is anyone playing this game online?

my names bighurt27

Thunderstruck30
04-06-2004, 08:57 PM

i have everything unlocked. thanks Xbox action replay :D:

Inform me of this XBox action replay.

Chrisaway
04-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Inform me of this XBox action replay.

They're available at you local Gamestop/EB games/gamecrazy etc... for about 30$. It's basically a memory card that hooks into a usb port in your computer with a program allowing you to download "powersaves" with all kinds of cheats/unlockables/roster updates for many games. I have all the opening day rosters downloaded as well as all of the unlockables for MVP thanks to this wonderful device.

SoxxoS
04-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have this problem-

When playing at the Cell, I can't see the ball released with over the top pitchers...there is like this white stripe right above the strike zone. It really ticks me off.

Jjav829
04-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Has anyone made a trade in their franchise yet? Made my first trade yesterday. It was actually a two sided trade. I was unhappy with my productions from the leadoff spot and second base - where I had a platoon of Keith Ginter and Matt Kata. I have Dave Roberts as my 4th OF for a little speed off the bench and I start him against lefties and lead him off. He's been good for me, but with Preston Wilson in center, I have no room for Roberts on a constant basis so I needed a permanent leadoff hitter. So I traded Keith Ginter and Danny Kolb to the Rangers who were desperate for relief help (their best reliever was Alfonseca) and I got back Luis Castillo, Buddy Groom, and Ty Wiggington. Then I traded Groom, Luis Vizcaino and a made up minor leaguer to the Mets for Chad Bradford and a decent AA reliever. So I have a full time second baseman and leadoff hitter to set the table for my team. Bradford replaces Kolb as my second righty out of the pen behind Shiggy, and I called up Rafael Soriano from the minors to fill Vizcaino's spot. I also added Wiggington which helps my AAA team since my starting 3B at AAA wasn't too good. Overall, I think that made my team much stronger.

Anyone else make any trades?

Dadawg_77
04-07-2004, 09:58 PM

When playing at the Cell, I can't see the ball released with over the top pitchers...there is like this white stripe right above the strike zone. It really ticks me off.

Yeah the batter's eye sucks in some parks.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-07-2004, 10:15 PM

Anyone else make any trades?
I've traded Paul Konerko who was hitting .150 and was really killing the team chemistry for Mike Liberthal, who was batting .350. A big time improvement over mike matheny, who was batting .200 for me. I also traded Ben Weber for Joe Thurston. I never used weber since I had so many relievers and he was complaining. I just picked up thurston to put in AAA as an injury backup to durham.

pearso66
04-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I traded Marte for a couple of minor leaguers, a great CFer and a pitcher who took Marte's place. I also traded a lot of minor leaguers, and I got an offer of marcus giles for Koch, and I took it, now if only someone would offer me somethin for Uribe and Alomar.

As for the batters eye, i have the worste time hitting off an over the top pitcher in the Cell. I think I might have mentioned it here earlier.

SoxxoS
04-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Anyone got to the point where one of their minor leaguers turned into a "stud?"

pearso66
04-08-2004, 12:21 PM
No "studs" yet, but I am only 82 games into the season. I do have Reed and Borchard platooning CF, and Rowand is tearing up AAA.

kraut83
04-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh yeah..the gameplay is HORRIBLE, but it has some very nice features.

ASB is really easy to pitch, & impossible to hit. My games are always 1-0, 2-1, and I probably have 10 infield pop ups a game. Every other time I hit, it's always a diving/leaping catch. The best thing about the game is the sandlot game. 18 players are randomly picked & you go back & forth with the computer/other person & pick who you want. I still think I'm going to get mvp.

Rocklive99
04-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Yeah during day games.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Yeah during day games.

I still haven't played the 2004 version, but in last year's I had trouble seeing the ball during day games as well. Especially at the urinal, the lighting they put there makes it look like you are playing a game at 6:30am instead of 1:20pm!

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I just had the worst MVP experience ever. I was sitting on the floor and my new puppie that i've had for 2 weeks jumped on me and bit open my nose. I bled all over my controller.. not fun

SoxFan76
04-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Is Gload not in the game??

Oh yeah, I finally got it. I'm a freak and I always need updated rosters, and it seems like it's going to be a lot more time consuming than 2003. I don't have those things to transfer data from the computer to the Playstation.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Is Gload not in the game??

Oh yeah, I finally got it. I'm a freak and I always need updated rosters, and it seems like it's going to be a lot more time consuming than 2003. I don't have those things to transfer data from the computer to the Playstation.

yeah its a bummer doing the rosters because for every callup or deal you make you have to fix all the rosters involved (minorleague teams). or you can have the computer optimize it, but i hate that because it screws up the rosters by taking players off your team and sending them down to fill positions. sort of frustrating at times.

SoxFan76
04-09-2004, 11:52 PM
gamefaqs.com has a lot of created players. But for the ones they don't have, I just edit the worst players on the AA teams. I'm doing the AL Central first, I have KC, Sox, and Twins all done. Didn't turn out to be as hard as I thought it would be.

MarqSox
04-10-2004, 03:54 AM
I'm 40 games into my season ... Thomas has 46 homers! :o:

CyYoung5621
04-10-2004, 11:00 AM
I am doing the Dynasty mode with the Sox and I am something like 54-16. Buerhle and Loaiza have 10 + wins. I just bumped it up to All-Star difficulty and it has become somewhat challenging. I am addicted to this game its great.

CyYoung5621
04-10-2004, 08:17 PM
What difficulty yall play on?

Jjav829
04-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by CyYoung5621
What difficulty yall play on?

I've been on Pro, but I'm thinking I'll be going to All-Star soon. And based on some of the records around here, sounds like a few more people could use a difficulty boost. :smile:

SoxFan76
04-10-2004, 11:26 PM
The franchise mode is so much more time consuming now with the minor leaguers. My minor league teams suck though. I sent down Willie and Rowand, and brought up Reed and Brandon Phillips (who I traded for earlier), so I have AR, Willie, Armando Rios (because for some reason he was still with the Sox), and Joe Borchard in the middle of the lineup. They aren't bad now, but the rest of the team sucks, and the Barons are like 0-8 right now. As for the real team, they are doing alright. I love managing games though. Great feature. I'm still getting used to the game, so I'm not doing too hot right now.

And a question: Can you not earn MVP points while playing Franchise games? I want to kill 2 birds with one stone, but it seems like I have to play exhibition games as well as dynasty games. And if I wanna get Aparicio and Babe Ruth, it's going to take a long time.

pearso66
04-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Your minor league teams suck?, the Knights are 21-78 for me, and 50 games out of 1st. although they really only have Rowand. Cotts and Adkins were traded, and Borchard and Reed are up on the big club. the Barons arent bad, but still not good.

MarqSox
04-11-2004, 01:53 AM
I've been on Pro, but I'm thinking I'll be going to All-Star soon. And based on some of the records around here, sounds like a few more people could use a difficulty boost. :smile:
I've won 24 games in a row on Pro. I'm going to make the jump to All-Star once I hit 30.

CyYoung5621
04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
My rotation has changed quite a bit. I expect this rotation to stay for a while.

1. Buehrle
2. Loazia
3. Garland
4. Rich Harden
5. Victor Zambrano

I have always used Marte as my closer since Koch's beard is scary.

All star difficulty is pretty hard.

StockdaleForVeep
04-12-2004, 02:19 AM
OK, first it is a good game

i did my dynasty with the sox, it was a magical year, burkett(free agent signin cuz sox had no good alt starter) had a perfect game goin into the 9th, 2 outs on the cubs and fluffin tom goodwin hit a ducksnort over crede, but enuff of that. Also i went in to the final kc series and ended up winnin the division by a game

notable moves: traded rowand and harris for rocco baldelli and traded borchard and burke(and someone else im forgettin) for luis castillo and traded koch\esteban for harden. My staff was Buehrle, Garland(an amazing 22 game winner when i simmed rest of the season, i only played the first month, he finished third in cy young) harden, saunders and porzio(burkett got dropped and porzio is very underrated in the game) I discovered only way u can win is by having a speed center field, otherwise u give up triples left and right. My lineup was baldelli, castillo,magz,thomas,crede(god) lee, valentin,olivo and uribe. I lost to the yankees in the playoffs, but heres my grief

End of season, management decides due to my performance they will cut my budget 2000 points(playoff apperance and they CUT budget), it is IMPOSSIBLE(even with those points) to resign any key player. Its impossible to do the classic(offer nothing and somehow fluke em into signing) After finagling, i signed magz, thomas, garland and maybe one other star player. Well, u cannot start spring training because you need to have full rosters, INCLUDING YOUR AA\AAA teams, so if u do a magical option known as computer edit rosters, it decides to drop garland and lee so u have money to fill your rosters. The payroll feature is very messed up in this, otherwise, a phenomenal game.(gotta love it when they put sosa on the trade block)

that and annoying when players complain about not playin enuff or whatever(wright was my closer, i signed his contract as a closer and he saved about 30 games, yet complained he doesnt play enuff) where the "shut up or u'll be cut" option

edit-oh yeah and i threw in konerko for the trade for castillo, i eventually got harris back tradin sandy alomar jr away but even with that big of payroll dumps, u cannot continue the game without your core players

anyone notice they have an all sox intro to "ea sports, its in the game"?

koch44
04-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep

End of season, management decides due to my performance they will cut my budget 2000 points(playoff apperance and they CUT budget), it is IMPOSSIBLE(even with those points) to resign any key player.

:reinsy
"You fans always say that you want the games to be realistic!"

StockdaleForVeep
04-12-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by koch44
:reinsy
"You fans want always say that you want the games to be like realistic!"

im terrified to see what occurs if i have a last place season, my team may end up worse than my AAA club(62GB)

MY AA team made a respectable run second half, finished first place, first half they were 4.0 back

Rocklive99
04-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Boo! During my series at Toronto, everytime Maggs was up, I would get "overrated" chants

Jjav829
04-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Home Run Leader thing is messed up? I keep getting these emails telling me that "Player X is now leading the league in home runs with 10. He is on pace to hit X home runs on the year." Now I have guys with over 20 HR's on the year, and this email is saying that a guy that has 10 is leading the league. What the hell? Does anyone else get those? The first one or two were odd but now I'm getting one like every 4 or 5 games. Anyone else heard about a glitch like this, or some kind of problem?

MANelson85
04-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Home Run Leader thing is messed up? I keep getting these emails telling me that "Player X is now leading the league in home runs with 10. He is on pace to hit X home runs on the year." Now I have guys with over 20 HR's on the year, and this email is saying that a guy that has 10 is leading the league. What the hell? Does anyone else get those? The first one or two were odd but now I'm getting one like every 4 or 5 games. Anyone else heard about a glitch like this, or some kind of problem?

Yes thats happened to me 3 times. I had an 18 game winning streak and am currently like 26-8 on Pro. I haved played all games and not simulated any.

SoxFan76
04-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Weird thing is happening in my dynasty. Uribe is tearing it up! Kind of ironic how that worked out. And my best starter........DANNY WRIGHT!

poerboy
04-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Great thread, guys. Anyone else pissed at how slack EA was in updateing the Cell this year? Granted, they did paint the CF scoreboard black, but the steelwork is still white! ***? I'll be pretty ticked off if a full update isn't done next year... home games just aren't complete without the new roof, etc... you know?

soltrain21
04-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by poerboy
Great thread, guys. Anyone else pissed at how slack EA was in updateing the Cell this year? Granted, they did paint the CF scoreboard black, but the steelwork is still white! ***? I'll be pretty ticked off if a full update isn't done next year... home games just aren't complete without the new roof, etc... you know?

I agree, I think next year it will all be updated though (green walls and stuff).

Rowand is still tearing it up for me but he is cooling down fast. Uribe is starting to heat up though. I might have to give Reed a shot in the majors coming soon. (I use Action Replay).

Right now I am a game out of first against the dasterdly Twins. KC is only a half game out. This should be pretty exciting..

Jjav829
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by poerboy

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

I wish they had the new renovations, but I doubt they had the time to put them in since they weren't completed until a couple weeks before Opening Day. I'm assuming they need changes will be in next years game.

SoxFan76
04-30-2004, 09:16 PM
I finally got all the unlockables today. Wow, I could play this game for the rest of my life. It never gets old. The old stadiums are incredible. The Polo Grounds are crazy. Left center field has it's own zip code, and the lines come in and are barely more than 200 ft.

The Legends team is so much fun to play with. Ruth, Cobb, Honus Wagner, Cy Young, it is very cool. Except Cy Young takes 10 minutes to go through his windup!

I also got the secret uni's. Another cool feature.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Did you use the "sim the season as the yankees" trick or did you actually earn enough points by playing a ton of games?

SoxFan76
04-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Did you use the "sim the season as the yankees" trick or did you actually earn enough points by playing a ton of games?

I did a season with the Sox. I actually did it the right way. As soon as I clinched the division, I basically simmed every game. Then yes, I did to the little trick to get a lot of points. Every time I went to the playoffs, it gave me 5400 points. Do that over and over. Time consuming, but well worth it. There is no way I'd be able to legitimately get all the points. The legend players take so many MVP points.

StockdaleForVeep
05-01-2004, 01:20 AM
on pro, i have simmed 4 straight seasons and 4 world series, if only was truth. here are notables

traded buehrle for Ishii cuz buehrle tanked for me

lineup-luis castillo
rocco baldelli
magz
thomas
lee
crede
valentin
olivo
uribe

staff of Ishii
garland
harden(a stud)
dempster
capuano(guy from arizona)

Its so fun to watch the sox clinch the world series in the 1908 jerseys

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 02:45 PM
What are some of the edits you guys have done to the Sox?

Here are mine....

Shoeney's stamina boosted to 85.
Olivo Speed up to 84 and changed his batting stance along with knee high socks.
Gave Crede Chipper Jones batting stance
Gave Maggs a black bat
Changed Rowand's stance
Gave Cott's two more pitches and put him in the rotation
Switched Valentin to full time lefty

This is all based off of Gomer's roster updates. You do not have to restart your season either, you can do this all in your franchise mode.

SoxFan76
05-01-2004, 03:09 PM
This is all based off of Gomer's roster updates. You do not have to restart your season either, you can do this all in your franchise mode.

What/where is Gomer's roster update?

soltrain21
05-01-2004, 03:20 PM
What/where is Gomer's roster update?

www.operationsports.com

You have to have Action Replay for Xbox or whatever it is called for PS2.

Dadawg_77
05-01-2004, 04:08 PM
My Franchice has become somewhat unrealistic, as every team has one or two hall of famers on it. Forgot to turn that off. But my lineup is ( I am in the 2008, simed some years, but won 4/5 World Series)

Staff:
Pedro
Zito
Hudson
Prior
Oswalt

Guy who was around most of the time and current guy.

C: Some rookie
1b: Nick Johnson (traded for cap room)/ Carlos Pena
2b: Mike Young (let go in FA) / Delvi Cruz
SS: Jeter
3B Crede (let go as FA) / Blalock, better and cheaper
LF: Beltran (LGAFA)/ Albert Pujhous
CF: Pierre
RF: Gabe Kapler (let go as FA) / Veron Wells

StockdaleForVeep
05-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
My Franchice has become somewhat unrealistic, as every team has one or two hall of famers on it. Forgot to turn that off. But my lineup is ( I am in the 2008, simed some years, but won 4/5 World Series)

Staff:
Pedro
Zito
Hudson
Prior
Oswalt

Guy who was around most of the time and current guy.

C: Some rookie
1b: Nick Johnson (traded for cap room)/ Carlos Pena
2b: Mike Young (let go in FA) / Delvi Cruz
SS: Jeter
3B Crede (let go as FA) / Blalock, better and cheaper
LF: Beltran (LGAFA)/ Albert Pujhous
CF: Pierre
RF: Gabe Kapler (let go as FA) / Veron Wells

I dont see how u could afford huson, prior, jeter and pujols and not break the cap. Do your minor leagues even have a team?

Dadawg_77
05-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I dont see how u could afford huson, prior, jeter and pujols and not break the cap. Do your minor leagues even have a team?

not good ones. Pedro sat out an year, and greatly reduced his price. My Cap is around 37 right now.

Dadawg_77
05-01-2004, 04:36 PM
If you are going to do a fanastsy draft, take A Rod, Abreu and other who are higher priced players. The game sets your cap based on how much your draft players are getting paid. Then go and trade your high price talent away to low price talent.

CyYoung5621
05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
My Dynasty:

I am currently in the ALDS of season 1 leading the angels 2 games to none.

Lineup
2B Luis Castillo
CF Aaron Rowand
RF Magglio Ordonez (70+ HR)
DH Frank Thomas
LF Carlos Lee (70+ HR)
1B Paul Konerko
3B Joe Crede
C Miguel Olivo
SS Juan Uribe

Rotation
1 Mark Buerhle (20 game winner)
2 Esteban Loaiza (20 game winner CY YOUNG winner)
3 Jon Garland
4 Rich Harden
5 Scott Schoenwiess

Closer
Demaso Marte (44 saves)

koch44
05-02-2004, 07:23 PM
This game is awesome!
I just got it a couple of days ago, and unlocked all the retro sox jerseys, and Tiger Stadium. I loved watching Carlos and Frank hit roof shots there!

CWSGuy406
05-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Marte got angry and started pitching crappily so I was forced to trade him away.

My rotation is:

Buerhle, Loaiza, Garland, Ishii, and Benson

My lineup is:

SS Cabrera
CF Damon
RF Ordonez
DH Thomas
1B Gload
LF Lee
3B Crede
2B Uribe
C Olivo

Is anyone having problems just getting hits as opposed to homers? I can't have an inning where I just hit a lot of singles, I've tried adjusting the sliders and yet nothing.

I still love the game though. :smile:

SoxFan76
05-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm about to go to the World Series against the Astros.

Loaiza, Schilling, Schoenweis, Porzio (that's right), and Danny Wright

Furcal 3rd (Crede had a season ending injury very early in teh season)
Podsednik CF
Maggs RF
Thomas SS--just kidding, DH
Uribe SS
Reed 1st
Timo LF
Olivo C
Harris 2B

and about 2500 points left in the bank

I had the same problem with Marte, he was never happy. So I traded him quick. Plus he wanted a lot of money. Buerhle sucked for some reason.

SoxxoS
05-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Soriano is BY FAR the best player in the game, IMO.

I obviously love guys with power and speed, and Soriano has both. 93 speed, and just kills the ball. It sucks at the Cell, though, b/c I can't get a homer to go over 465 feet. The billboards always stop it.

Soriano hit one earlier today that was HIGH off the light pole in left field...I wonder what would have happened if he missed it. Anyone else have the distance problem at the Cell?

Hey Soxfan76 and/or koch 44...how did you guys unlock all the stuff...what is the easiest way? I am in a season and never get any MVP points in the season, for some reason.

CWSGuy406
05-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Soriano is BY FAR the best player in the game, IMO.

I obviously love guys with power and speed, and Soriano has both. 93 speed, and just kills the ball. It sucks at the Cell, though, b/c I can't get a homer to go over 465 feet. The billboards always stop it.

Soriano hit one earlier today that was HIGH off the light pole in left field...I wonder what would have happened if he missed it. Anyone else have the distance problem at the Cell?

Hey Soxfan76 and/or koch 44...how did you guys unlock all the stuff...what is the easiest way? I am in a season and never get any MVP points in the season, for some reason.

Well, even though the question wasn't directed towards me, I have mainly everything unlocked. Simply simulate a season with the Yankees or the RedSox. Or any other team your sure that will at least win your division.

What I did, it's kind of cheating but I really wanted to unlock all of the jerseys - I turned off fair trades, salary cap, etc. I turned off injuries and proposed trades by computers and rainouts to make it go faster, and I made all three of my teams (Majors, AAA, and AA) awesome. Loaded all three teams with awesome guys from the majors, and simulated the whole thing. I ended up getting about 20,000 points because I won the world series and championships at all three levels, as well as various awards (MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids Reliever of Year).

That's how I did it, I dunno if you want to cheat like that, but oh well. There ya go.

Dadawg_77
05-02-2004, 10:50 PM
To give you an example of my point, did a fanasty draft. Draft only big contract guys, yes I even drafted Greg Vaughn (2K). Then spent two hours trading, my transaction log is about three pages long. I ended up with this team , 50K cap and 40 of it spent.

C: Olivo, Tom Wilson
1b: Frank Thomas, Durazo
2B: Jeff Kent
3B: Hank Blalock
SS: A Rod, Izturis
LF: Pujols, Kielty
CF: Beltran, Minor league guy
RF: Mags

Staff
Zito
Hudson
Mulder
Harden
Prior

RP
Foulke
Rhodes
Spoonerbarger
Puffer (Astro hat)
Seay

StockdaleForVeep
05-03-2004, 12:33 AM
porzio and sanders are actually quite amazing starters in the game. I had sanders simmed goin 9-0 at one point, then he folded

koch44
05-05-2004, 06:33 AM
I can't find Luis Aparicio in roster management, even though I unlocked him. :?:

SoxFan76
05-05-2004, 05:06 PM
SoxxoS:

I unlocked everybody by legitimately doing a season with the Sox. I recieved points during the course of the season, but after I played the last game of the regular season, I saved. When you get the option to "Advance to the playoffs" DON'T DO IT. Save on that screen, THEN advance to the playoffs. You should get points. I got 5,400 points every time. Repeat as many times as you need. It is very tedious, especially when you're only getting 5,400 a pop. But my minor league teams were TERRIBLE.

StockdaleForVeep:

I have noticed that with Porzio. He has been lights out. Porzio was my long reliever in the playoffs, since I didn't use 5 starters, his ERA was under .8! So far in Year 2, he has allowed no runs, .217 OPP AVG, 6 K's, 0 BB's, in 6 innings. Along with a 1-0 record. Can't beat that. It's not like his pitches have high ratings or anything, it's kind of weird.

koch44:

You either need to save your profile, or load your profile up. I remember I had a problem briefly with something like that, but it worked out. As long as your MVP Rewards thing says you have unlocked them, then you are good.

SoxFan76
05-06-2004, 05:40 PM
What are some other roster updates that you guys have done? I don't have the little thing to transfer data, so I did everything manually.

I made Olivo's contact a little better, and made him MUCH faster. I might of bumped Crede's offensive stats slightly.

Bumped up Schoenweis' stats. Same for Uribe and Pollite. Willie is only given 85 speed I think, so I bumped it up. Frank's plate discipline was kind of low I think, so I might of raised that. Not that it matters, if I'm playing, I determine his plate discipline.

What else should I do?

SoxxoS
05-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Tell you one thing that is really ticking my off...that white stripe at the Cell RIGHT in off some pitchers hands. I play 82 games there and 50% of the time I can't see the damn ball leave the hand. I want to change parks, but I don't know if I can mid-season. Hitting there is horrible. Plus, you can't hit long home runs because the lightpole and billboards can stop the balls...that ticks my off too. As I said earlier I hit one with Soriano that was at the top of the light pole, I though it was going to go 625 feet...

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-07-2004, 10:17 PM
I beat someone online...28-2. I was the White Sox and he was the marlins. I even started to swing at nothing but air when I got up to bat so it wouldn't take so long to finish the game. I had over 40 hits.

CyYoung5621
05-08-2004, 07:33 PM
After my World Series Championship I suffered some cap casualties.

Key Losses:
Loazia, Ordonez, Wunsch, Politte, Rowand

Key Pickups:
Fransico Rodriguez, Jose Guillen, Rick Bauer, R. Cormier, Gabe Kapler

My Rotation is now
Buerhle Garland Harden Gavin Floyd and Neal Cotts

SoxFan76
05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Well I finished my first season, and won the World Series. My second season, I really didn't want to play through all those games again. I basically simulated the whole season, making certain moves along the way. Since I simulated the entire season, a lot of guys offensive outputs were drastically lower. Uribe had a crazy first year, so he wanted a ton of money. 2,000-2,500 or something. Well this year he hit .240. Yes, that's right. Second baseman are hard to find as well in this game. So this off season I'm going to have to make some moves.

BUT, my team won the division, and unlike last year, both my minor league teams were very good. All three of my teams are in the playoffs. So obviously I am playing through the playoffs with my three teams. AAA and AA are stacked with hot prospects, who are supposedly supposed to be very good. Actually a few "future all-stars" are thrown in there as well. I might do this for every season, and see how players mature, and see how my team looks after 5 or 6 years when all these guys retire. I was briefly tired of this game, but simulating seasons has resparked my interest.

Oh yeah, Schoenweis won the Cy Young. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-09-2004, 09:23 PM
I unlocked all of the legends and it's AWESOME playing with them. It's impossible to hit any of the pitchers. Ryan throws 102 MPH and most of the other pitchers throw atleast 100 with the wackiest wind ups. The classical stadiums are also beautiful. WE WANT COMISKEY PARK NEXT YEAR!!!!

CyYoung5621
05-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Okay since Felix Diaz is now up what should his stats be. I know he thros a 92-94 MPH FB with a mid 80' slider and a decent changeup.

Jjav829
05-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Ok, so I got the adapter all set up and I can now play online. If anyone wants to play me, "Maggs30rf" is my name. Unfortunately I am 1-2. Should won the first game I played but I forgot it was only a 7 inning game. Buehrle pitched good against the AL All Star team. I brought Loaiza in the 7th with a 1 run lead and he blew it. Had I known it was the last inning, I would have brought in Marte/Koch. I rematched the guy and beat him in the 2nd game when I used my pen correctly having Marte/Koch close the game out. I just lost a 5 inning game to the Cubs. Couldn't hit Wood at all. No surprise, Jose had my only 2 hits. I only gave up two hits with Buehrle, but they were back-to-back triples to right field and that cost me. O well. If anyone wants to play let me know.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Has anyone used the jacob paterson cheat?

StepsInSC
05-23-2004, 12:20 PM
After playing this game a ton...I can say that this game came soooo close to being 'perfect' but fell short. The lefty glitch is really finally starting to get to me and make it frustrating. Oh well, guess I'll just keep playing as the Sox since they dont have any left power hitters save Jose anyways.

Jjav829
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Has anyone used the jacob paterson cheat?

What the hell is the jacob paterson cheat?

pearso66
05-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Man Jjav, I cant believe someone picks the All Star teams, that seems a little unfair. If you go on the EA boards, they all complain about cheaters online, lol

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 02:49 PM
What the hell is the jacob paterson cheat?

creat a player named jacob paterson, all lower cass. Make everything on him 0, the make him a DH. He has the biggest bat you have ever seen, and if he makes contact, it is a rocket. I have hit 800 foot bombs with him. So for no money, you can get a home run hitter. He sucks if you sim with though.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 02:50 PM
After playing this game a ton...I can say that this game came soooo close to being 'perfect' but fell short. The lefty glitch is really finally starting to get to me and make it frustrating. Oh well, guess I'll just keep playing as the Sox since they dont have any left power hitters save Jose anyways.

The biggest problem with the game is D. The Computer is web gem waiting to happen, and infielder movements just suck. The fact you can't lead a guy, like the pitcher to first base is also bad.

StepsInSC
05-23-2004, 04:32 PM
The biggest problem with the game is D. The Computer is web gem waiting to happen, and infielder movements just suck. The fact you can't lead a guy, like the pitcher to first base is also bad.

I don't follow the part about not being able to "lead" a guy...you mean like taking a lead?

The computer's D is frustrating. Turning up defensive errors helps some because they will drop a few of those crazy catches, and give you credit for a hit.

Dadawg_77
05-23-2004, 11:36 PM
I don't follow the part about not being able to "lead" a guy...you mean like taking a lead?

The computer's D is frustrating. Turning up defensive errors helps some because they will drop a few of those crazy catches, and give you credit for a hit.

No your guys can't throw the ball till someone is on the base. So the first baseman can't toss the ball to a running pitcher to make the out at first. Also your guys can't make quick hard snap throws. to get anything on a throw you have to wait a second, makess bang bang plays hard.

StockdaleForVeep
05-24-2004, 02:40 AM
No your guys can't throw the ball till someone is on the base. So the first baseman can't toss the ball to a running pitcher to make the out at first. Also your guys can't make quick hard snap throws. to get anything on a throw you have to wait a second, makess bang bang plays hard.

But the fielders do run rather quickly to the bag for outs, hell i had frank play at 1b and we was rather quick on his toes to get to that bag. Same for leadfoot Konerko

Jjav829
05-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Man Jjav, I cant believe someone picks the All Star teams, that seems a little unfair. If you go on the EA boards, they all complain about cheaters online, lol

It is kind of unfair, but the guy wasn't that good so I can see why he might need them.

Anyway I played 2 more online. The first was a 1 inning game which really pissed me off. I was playing the Phillies and Maggs went deep for me to give me the lead. So I tried to hold it with Buehrle. Got Byrd and Polanco out but then I allowed a single to Thome. With Burrell up I went 0-1 and did something stupid and decided to try to tie him up with a curve inside. Bad decision. 2 run HR to center and I lose. The 2nd game was a 7 inning game though it went to extras and didn't finish until the 9th. Carlos led off the 9th with a single. Next batter Konerko gets a double to center and I beat the Reds 6-5. Some good stuff. Anyone wanna play me? I'd like to play some WSI peeps.

Jjav829
05-24-2004, 08:25 PM

Another thing that bugs me about fielding is the time it takes from the infielder catching until he swipes the tag. There are so many plays I have that I look at and say if that was a real play in baseball, the runner is out. Yet the infielders don't catch and swipe quickly. They catch the ball, then a second later they try to make the tag.

DuckSnort
05-26-2004, 06:00 PM
If anyone ever wants to play online my name is graphixguyj I'm always up for a game :)

SoxFan76
05-26-2004, 09:53 PM
After 2 years in a dynasty, Bonds never had out of this world stats. They were good, but his contact/power ratings are insane, so I expected some better numbers out of him.

The lefty power glitch is incredibly annoying though. It will seem like I crush the ball right off the bat, only to fly out to the right fielder.

Chrisaway
06-04-2004, 03:05 AM
I'm at the first cubs-sox series

Minn 44-27
SOX 41-29 2.5

Buehrle 8-5 4.30 81k
Shoe 8-5 3.23 70k
Garland 7-5 4.23 62k

Thomas .308 28hr 50rbi
Maggs .303 22hr 45rbi
Lee .314 19hr 37rbi
Konerko .261 21hr 47rbi
Uribe .297 11hr 23rbi
Valentin .293 7hr 31rbi
Harris.222 1hr 8rbi (had a stint on the DL)
Crede.268 12hr 30rbi (likewise)

-pretty realistic cept for that damn lefty glitch (Harris reeks even with significant attribute upgrades)

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 03:35 AM
After 2 years in a dynasty, Bonds never had out of this world stats. They were good, but his contact/power ratings are insane, so I expected some better numbers out of him.

The lefty power glitch is incredibly annoying though. It will seem like I crush the ball right off the bat, only to fly out to the right fielder.

Bonds isnt in mvp, are u refering to the computer generated rookie for san fran who has 99 power and is bonds pretty much?

DSpivack
06-04-2004, 11:40 AM
I pretty much simmed/managed my first season.

Don't remember the stats, but went 85-77, missing the division by 2 games and the wild card by 2 games [Royals and Yankees won those].

Konerko and Valentin were sucking so I sent them, along with Loaiza, to Toronto for Carlos Delgado and Miguel Batista.

I later got Nomar for Garland and Buehrle, as both were sucking and I wanted to add even more offense for an eventually futile playoff run.

In the offseason I let Nomar and Delgado walk [too much $$$], so I signed some kid named Cody Ransom to play SS. I added a whole slew of cheap, young pitchers, headlined by Rich Harden.

I'm in the middle of April 2005, in first place by a couple games.

The few games I played my pitching was decent enough to win but offense seemed very hard to come by; that it was pretty much luck. Also, baserunning is a little quandary. Guys will round off first and stop when a ball is hit into the gap. Also am having a litttle trouble on defense, but not much. Baserunning and hitting are my biggest quandaries.

Also, what is up with the owner happiness/grades? I got a D for my first season, to be expected as I missed the playoffs, but throughout the season I'd get e-mails saying I was doing a terrible job and was in first place at the time.

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I pretty much simmed/managed my first season.

Don't remember the stats, but went 85-77, missing the division by 2 games and the wild card by 2 games [Royals and Yankees won those].

Konerko and Valentin were sucking so I sent them, along with Loaiza, to Toronto for Carlos Delgado and Miguel Batista.

I later got Nomar for Garland and Buehrle, as both were sucking and I wanted to add even more offense for an eventually futile playoff run.

In the offseason I let Nomar and Delgado walk [too much $$$], so I signed some kid named Cody Ransom to play SS. I added a whole slew of cheap, young pitchers, headlined by Rich Harden.

I'm in the middle of April 2005, in first place by a couple games.

The few games I played my pitching was decent enough to win but offense seemed very hard to come by; that it was pretty much luck. Also, baserunning is a little quandary. Guys will round off first and stop when a ball is hit into the gap. Also am having a litttle trouble on defense, but not much. Baserunning and hitting are my biggest quandaries.

Also, what is up with the owner happiness/grades? I got a D for my first season, to be expected as I missed the playoffs, but throughout the season I'd get e-mails saying I was doing a terrible job and was in first place at the time.

Rating carries over from the previous season and you need a high win to loss ratio to keep it up. Also, your minor leagues affect your chemisty\grades. If u have sucky teams that go on 28 game losing streaks(like my AAA did) then u will get a lowered grade overall.

SoxFan76
06-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Bonds isnt in mvp, are u refering to the computer generated rookie for san fran who has 99 power and is bonds pretty much?

Yes.

I was tired of being the White Sox all the time, so I tried a dynasty with the Padres. Got tired of them pretty quickly, now I am the Reds. Always fun to see some different teams and stadiums, and always nice to beat up on the Cubs. They have a good offense, but a lot of the power on the Reds is from the left side. So I am not going to hit many homers. I traded Jiminez and a prospect for Vidro, and my team is looking pretty good. Another big problem, this team has no speed. Dunn is their fastest guy with 77 speed I believe.

DSpivack
06-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Rating carries over from the previous season and you need a high win to loss ratio to keep it up. Also, your minor leagues affect your chemisty\grades. If u have sucky teams that go on 28 game losing streaks(like my AAA did) then u will get a lowered grade overall.

But I was getting these bad ratings in 2004 when I had the Sox in first, although the minor league were doing atrocious....

Now in 2005 the Sox are back in first, my minor league teams are doing relatively well [one is in first the other is about .500], and they're still complaining about my performance.

SoxxoS
06-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Just reasking the question I asked earlier in the thread:

Anyone develop any minor league studs?

Developing and scouting players have have them be awesome is so much fun. I have this catcher in AA who is 19 that is in the 50's on all his power/contacts. Will his ratings go up as time goes on?

SoxFan76
06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
I got a CF named Seth Anderson from the Indians I believe. I forget what his original stats were, but after 1 year his contact ratings jumped 35 points. And his speed was already at 99.

Other than that I've had bad luck with prospects. Their scouting reports look good, but they never seem to meet expectations.

SoxxoS
06-05-2004, 01:20 PM
I got a CF named Seth Anderson from the Indians I believe. I forget what his original stats were, but after 1 year his contact ratings jumped 35 points. And his speed was already at 99.

Other than that I've had bad luck with prospects. Their scouting reports look good, but they never seem to meet expectations.

I have that guy too, he is a great pinch runner...

pearso66
06-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I had Anderson also, but I traded him for this CF Baez on St. Louis, he is 2 points slower, but 1 year younger, and has more pop in his bat. I just brought up a catcher, Hutchinson who is 4-7 in his first 7 at bats, with 3 RBI's and 1 homer.

SOXintheBURGH
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I picked the game up the day it came out and I am currently 71-33 in my first season of my franchise. For some reason, at home, Magglio punishes everyone, I already have over a 100 HR with him and I'm playing on the setting just below the hardest. Buerhle is my dominate Ace.. I think he's around 17-0 at the moment with two no hitters. Loaiza is pretty decent. First thing I did was trade Koch and Dan Wright and my closer is currently Marte. The game is amazing. As far as playing the Pitching Duel, I always use Buerhle and win about 3/4's of the time, usually losing only because the computer was about 12 seconds ahead of me on the same 1-2 count. Oh well. Anyone ever play games with Birmingham or Charlotte?

SoxFan76
06-06-2004, 12:10 AM
YEAH aaa and aa suck dude. thsoe guys cnat hit worth a damn. i awlways win still, but they cant hit and the pichers suck.

Jjav829
06-06-2004, 09:20 AM
YEAH aaa and aa suck dude. thsoe guys cnat hit worth a damn. i awlways win still, but they cant hit and the pichers suck.

I can always hit and pitch with my AA and AAA guys. In fact, I hit better with my minor league guys than my major league guys. I don't play whole games usually. What I do is the advanced sim where you can watch the inning by inning results. Usually the games are pretty close. I let it sim until about the 8th or 9th inning and then stop it and take control of my team. If I am up, I make sure I close the game out (I have Ryan Wagner and Brad Lidge as my closers). If I am losing, I'll try to score enough runs to win the game. Sometimes I'll stop it in the 8th if the deficit is big enough (3 runs or more). Otherwise I usually just play the 9th. It's an easy way to try to make sure your minor league teams do well as well as help pad your stats a little. I hit a lot of HR's with my minor league guys in just one or two innings of play.

Cubbiesuck13
06-20-2004, 12:50 PM
does anyone ever play this game on a laptop? i am thinking of buying one and would like to play this game on it. i don't want to overboard on the video card when a cheaper one will do. what kind of video card do you guys have?

CyYoung5621
07-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey everyone! Now there is a message board where you can talk about your MVP, Madden, and NCAA Dynasties or gameplay. The URL is: http://dynastyreports.proboards34.com/
Registration is free! Check it out.

he_gone_89
07-08-2004, 08:56 PM
the pitchers are terrible on that game

but some of the hitters are good,for instance

Birmingham Catcher Dave Hutchens can hit better on the game than Babe Ruth
He's Currently my Starting C in Charlotte and i use him as a Backup DH against
the west coast teams because they tend to put up big numbers against the sox[Sounds Familiar,eh?]

pearso66
07-08-2004, 11:26 PM
the pitchers are terrible on that game

but some of the hitters are good,for instance

Birmingham Catcher Dave Hutchens can hit better on the game than Babe Ruth
He's Currently my Starting C in Charlotte and i use him as a Backup DH against
the west coast teams because they tend to put up big numbers against the sox[Sounds Familiar,eh?]
I have Hutchins platooning C with this Berroa guy I got from Atlanta. I had Hutchins playing over Olivo until I traded him away for Garcia. He was damn good, I think in his first 20-30 games or so, he was hitting .400+

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah hutchins is a beast but I traded him for someone. Forgot who though. :whiner:

SoxFan76
07-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Seth Anderson is the man. He is probably the best prospect I've come across. 99 Speed for crying out loud! Plus, he can hit.

AnkleSox
07-09-2004, 03:33 AM
My friends and I all made ourselves in the create player thing, and we jacked our stats up like crazy. It's funny because we thought we could create a new team, but we decided just to be the Expos and see how well we could do. Well it's been a while since we've played the game at all but i remember we were something like 70-16 sitting 20 games atop the NL East.

I can't hit homeruns at all, but My friends who decided to be pitchers made their stats ridiculous, so we usually win games because of them. We all can get some good hits, but for some reason homeruns just seem to be a thing of luck. (It's also the PC version and we're using the keyboard, maybe that has something to do with it.)

Also, I haven't found a way to pick a guy off, even though on the screen it shows me that I have to use the 5th pitch button. The problem is, there is no way to configure the 5th pitch button in the control section. Anybody know how to work this in the PC version?

Cubbiesuck13
07-09-2004, 03:39 AM
My friends and I all made ourselves in the create player thing, and we jacked our stats up like crazy. It's funny because we thought we could create a new team, but we decided just to be the Expos and see how well we could do. Well it's been a while since we've played the game at all but i remember we were something like 70-16 sitting 20 games atop the NL East.

I can't hit homeruns at all, but My friends who decided to be pitchers made their stats ridiculous, so we usually win games because of them. We all can get some good hits, but for some reason homeruns just seem to be a thing of luck. (It's also the PC version and we're using the keyboard, maybe that has something to do with it.)

Also, I haven't found a way to pick a guy off, even though on the screen it shows me that I have to use the 5th pitch button. The problem is, there is way to configure the 5th pitch button in the control section. Anybody know how to work this in the PC version?
my g/f bought this game for pc and it is prolly my favorite platform to play a game now. i suggest buying a gamepad of some sort. downloading patches is much easier than on a game system and loading times are nothing.

Aidan
07-09-2004, 04:11 AM
I am addicted to this game. I play the PC version with a Xbox Controller S (USB cable mod) and a Saitek P880 (best PC controller for this game). The PC version of this game is the best in my opinion because EVERYTHING can be tweaked. The Xbox version can also be tweaked a bit but you need a modified Xbox. The best website for mods to MVP 2004 is www.mvpmods.com (http://www.mvpmods.com/).

These are the must-have downloads/mods for the game in my opinion. They tweak the game to play more realistically and add White Sox-specific stuff. (download and install in this order):

MVP 2004 PC Patch #2 (http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/downloads.jsp) (Here is the latest patch for MVP Baseball 2004, PC Version, posted 5/3/04. Unzip the file and follow the instructions. This patch includes the latest roster update and is REQUIRED for online play. It also fixes the "lefty bug" and other glitches.)

Total Minors V3 No-DL w all Player IDs Rev 1 (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=674) (edits players to make them accurate and updates the rosters to the opening day while adding real top prospects to AAA and AA, good for realistic 2004 dynasty)

Jpup's TotalMinors Plus (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=695) (edits players to make them accurate and updates the rosters to be accurate as of June 24, 2004 while adding real top prospects to AAA and AA, good for more recent roster update)

GForce22 - adjusted progression mod (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=657) (adjusts player progression for dynasty mode)

RodData_7 with Default Cams (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=531) (tweaks CPU stealing, pitching, hitting, etc. so the game plays more realistically, also adds new camera angles)

US Cellular Field Version by Pirate (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=775) (an almost perfect update to U.S. Cellular Field)

EA Graphics Editor (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=53) (allows you to edit player portraits)

LeVeRRe's White Sox Portrait Update (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=724) (White Sox MLB, AAA, and AA player portrait update)

Cris' Frank Thomas "Click to Start" Screen (http://www.mvpmods.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=529) (Frank Thomas "start screen" that replaces the stupid Albert Pujols one)

Glass_Profile.sav (http://www.glass4.com/MVPedit/Glass_Profile.sav) (Don't have time to acquire a multitude of MVP points trying to unlock those uniforms, stadiums and legendary players? Simply drop this file into your MVP Baseball 2004 user directory (C:\My Documents\MVP Baseball 2004\). Start the game, load the "Glass" profile and you will have everything unlocked!)

The U.S. Cellular Field update is awesome. Check it out...
http://www.mvpmods.com/files/stadiums/screens/comiskeyv1.jpg

The Frank Thomas "CLICK TO START" screen is also cool...
http://www.mvpmods.com/files/misc/screens/Cris%20Frank%20Thomas%20Click%20to%20Start%20Scree n.jpg

The White Sox Portrait Update is also nice...
http://www.mvpmods.com/files/portraits/screens/LeVeRReWhitesoxV2.jpg

By the way, here are my tips on hitting...

You have to use the left analog stick on your controller to aim where you want to hit the ball. If you want to hit a center field homer, aim the stick straight up when you swing. If you want to pull the ball to left field, hold the stick up and left. If you want to hit a ground ball up the middle, aim the stick straight down. The location in which you hold the left analog stick when you swing the bat determines the direction the ball goes. I have most of my success getting home runs by aiming the stick straight up. If I want to hit a line drive shot with a right-handed batter, I aim the stick straight down to hit the ball up the middle. With a lefty batter like Jose Valentin, I aim the stick up and left and always get ducksnorts to left field for singles or doubles. If you want to bunt, use a guy who has alot of speed like Willie Harris and aim the stick a hair up and left. This way you will bunt the ball in between the catcher, third baseman, and pitcher and it will be a hard play for one of them to make. It takes alot of practice to lay down a good bunt but eventually you will get the hang of it.

pearso66
07-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Seth Anderson is the man. He is probably the best prospect I've come across. 99 Speed for crying out loud! Plus, he can hit.
I had problems with Anderson, He didnt have any power, all his hits were infield hits. I traded him to the Cardinals for a guy named Baez. He's a CFer backup, has 97 speed, better contact and power, and is 1 year younger. He's been amazing for me.
If you are looking for a good 2nd/SS get Inoue from the Mets, he's pretty good. I have a pretty revamped roster thanks to being over payroll after my first season, and not having near enough players. So I have some good prospects in LF, I traded lee. I traded Konerko. Marcus giles was offered to me for Koch so I took it. Plus many more. Too many to name. But for young guys, go for Baez, Inoue, and there is a Barnes guy from Detroit in RF that is pretty good too.

StockdaleForVeep
07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
I finished my season simmin\managing, won 91 games and still didnt have 1st or wildcard, grrrrrr

Accord
07-09-2004, 11:17 PM
If anyone here has MVP 2004 for the PS2 and wants to play online, hit me up on AIM... AccordC11

Also, i've got a question about the PC version. Does the lefty glitch exist in the PC version of MVP 2004 and if it does is there a fix for it? I hate the lefty glitch on the PS2 version, it's so bad I can't even hit a home run with Thome in home run derby mode.

Aidan
07-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Also, i've got a question about the PC version. Does the lefty glitch exist in the PC version of MVP 2004 and if it does is there a fix for it? I hate the lefty glitch on the PS2 version, it's so bad I can't even hit a home run with Thome in home run derby mode.Yes, the lefty glitch exists in the PC version but Patch #2 fixes it and other issues. You can download it here...

http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2004/downloads.jsp

pearso66
07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
If anyone here has MVP 2004 for the PS2 and wants to play online, hit me up on AIM... AccordC11

Also, i've got a question about the PC version. Does the lefty glitch exist in the PC version of MVP 2004 and if it does is there a fix for it? I hate the lefty glitch on the PS2 version, it's so bad I can't even hit a home run with Thome in home run derby mode.
I've hit a few lefty during my season. I actually kind of like the glitch as I get a lot of bloop hits. Sure not as many homers, but the bloop hits work just fine.

SoxFan76
07-10-2004, 12:16 AM
I've hit a few lefty during my season. I actually kind of like the glitch as I get a lot of bloop hits. Sure not as many homers, but the bloop hits work just fine.
I'm with ya on that. But then again, it gets annoying. Especially with the Legends team. I still haven't hit a home run with Babe freakin Ruth. Or Gherig, or several other guys. But in dynasty modes, I always hit for crazy averages with my lefties. It's almost automatic when I'm facing a right hander. I always bloop it right in front of the right fielder.

There's a new site where you can post about your MVP dynasties.
http://dynastyreports.proboards34.com/index.cgi

Aidan
07-10-2004, 12:46 AM
I've hit a few lefty during my season. I actually kind of like the glitch as I get a lot of bloop hits. Sure not as many homers, but the bloop hits work just fine.LOL! You are SO right. The "lefty glitch" lets you get a ton of singles and doubles bloopers in front of the left fielder with Jose Valentin, Willie Harris, and Timo Perez by aiming the analog stick up and left.
I'm with ya on that. But then again, it gets annoying. Especially with the Legends team. I still haven't hit a home run with Babe freakin Ruth. Or Gherig, or several other guys. But in dynasty modes, I always hit for crazy averages with my lefties. It's almost automatic when I'm facing a right hander. I always bloop it right in front of the right fielder.Yeah, the "lefty glitch" really does suck when you have a lefty power hitter and can't hit a homer to save your life.

pearso66
07-10-2004, 01:04 AM
well now I dont have the typical sox lefties. Willie was traded away for a catcher. Valentin went to detroit for i believe carlos pena, and I never had Timo. I also traded Reed away. Now my lefties are Baez, Pena and Matt Kata who doesnt play all that often. I hit my first lefty homer with baez, and i hit 3 more with pena. But the ball seems to be flying better with my lefties, no more significant dive, but still doesnt reach the fence if its towards CF, but would be gone if it was pulled, especially with pena.

Aidan
07-12-2004, 01:12 AM
well now I dont have the typical sox lefties. Willie was traded away for a catcher. Valentin went to detroit for i believe carlos pena, and I never had Timo. I also traded Reed away. Now my lefties are Baez, Pena and Matt Kata who doesnt play all that often. I hit my first lefty homer with baez, and i hit 3 more with pena. But the ball seems to be flying better with my lefties, no more significant dive, but still doesnt reach the fence if its towards CF, but would be gone if it was pulled, especially with pena. You have to have a guy with some power if you want to nut homers to CF. Everytime I aim for a CF shot with Joe Borchard it hits the wall. Maggs, Frank, Caballo, and Paulie can all pound the ball 450+ feet though. I usually have to time my swing well with Rowand, Crede, and Alomar to hit homers and they are usually on "mistake pitches".

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2004, 01:16 AM
You have to have a guy with some power if you want to nut homers to CF. Everytime I aim for a CF shot with Joe Borchard it hits the wall. Maggs, Frank, Caballo, and Paulie can all pound the ball 450+ feet though. I usually have to time my swing well with Rowand, Crede, and Alomar to hit homers and they are usually on "mistake pitches".
All depends on what kind of pitch thrown and timing. Plus dont they undervalue borchards power numbers? Its funny how when u sim, willie and castillo hit like 20 dingers a year for me yet if u play, can barely hit 1 with em.

Aidan
07-12-2004, 01:20 AM
All depends on what kind of pitch thrown and timing. Plus dont they undervalue borchards power numbers? Its funny how when u sim, willie and castillo hit like 20 dingers a year for me yet if u play, can barely hit 1 with em. Well, cuz the game's default player stats are bogus. I use the TOTALMINORS Version 3 mod for MVP 2004 PC...

http://www.rosterdevelopmentgroup.com/

This guy calculates every player's 3 year stats and redoes each player's batting/fielding ratings based on these stats. He also creates all the accurate top minor league prospects for each team. Every team has the accurate opening day roster, lineup, and rotation. If you play MVP 2004 on the PC like I do it's is a must download.

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Well, cuz the game's default player stats are bogus. I use the TOTALMINORS Version 3 mod for MVP 2004 PC...

http://www.rosterdevelopmentgroup.com/

This guy calculates every player's 3 year stats and redoes each player's batting/fielding ratings based on these stats. He also creates all the accurate top minor league prospects for each team. Every team has the accurate opening day roster, lineup, and rotation. If you play MVP 2004 on the PC like I do it's is a must download.
Yeah i only have the psx2 version. Been just simmin\managing, won 3 world series', lost 2 world series' to dodgers and to phillies. in about 2011 in my franchise. I made a mistake and instead of settin to non default rosters i set to allow legends in the game, yeah....catfish hunter is back...

Aidan
07-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah i only have the psx2 version. Been just simmin\managing, won 3 world series', lost 2 world series' to dodgers and to phillies. in about 2011 in my franchise. I made a mistake and instead of settin to non default rosters i set to allow legends in the game, yeah....catfish hunter is back... :tongue::D::tongue: LOL!!! :tongue::D::tongue:

pearso66
07-12-2004, 01:06 PM
You think its bad because Catfish Hunter is back. the Astros have Babe Ruth, Early Wynn, Jackie Robinson, Jim Palmer, another reliever, and another 2nd baseman. All legends. And the odd thing is, they just signed them in year 3, while in year 1 and 2, I met the Astros in the World Series, I won the first, they won the 2nd. Now it looks like they are a lock again. Oh yeah, they have ben Sheets too in their rotation

SoxFan76
07-12-2004, 04:34 PM
They need a site where they list the attributes of the players for people who can't download rosters, like me. I have no problem doing rosters manually, in fact I have been doing my rosters manually. Similar to football-gaming.com. The site is going through a major revamping, but you can click on a team and then a player and it has their updated stats for all the football games.

Chrisaway
07-19-2004, 03:28 AM
[QUOTE=Aidan]I am addicted to this game. I play the PC version with a Xbox Controller S (USB cable mod) and a Saitek P880 (best PC controller for this game). The PC version of this game is the best in my opinion because EVERYTHING can be tweaked. The Xbox version can also be tweaked a bit but you need a modified Xbox. The best website for mods to MVP 2004 is www.mvpmods.com (http://www.mvpmods.com/).

[QUOTE]

Thanks for that link. I have the Xbox version but i dont have it modded. On the forums though i found some sliders that help immensly with the lefty glitch and some good roster updates for the action replay.

Does anyone find it odd that BEN DAVIS'S power rating is 80????

Aidan
07-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for that link. I have the Xbox version but i dont have it modded. On the forums though i found some sliders that help immensly with the lefty glitch and some good roster updates for the action replay.You're welcome! MVP Baseball 2004 is the best baseball game ever!
Does anyone find it odd that BEN DAVIS'S power rating is 80????Yeah, I noticed that about Ben Davis in the game. They must have been rating him based on potential and not real-life performance. :tongue:

mcfish
07-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Not that anyone cares, but I pitched a Perfect Game with Buerhle this weekend! Tears came to my eyes I was so happy.
:nod:

jcirish85
07-19-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but does anyone know why Bonds is not in the game? Theres a few other players too like millar.

SoxxoS
07-19-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but does anyone know why Bonds is not in the game? Theres a few other players too like millar.
He is a complete A-Hole for one. Second, he isn't part of the Players Union.

On a related note, replacement players that played during the strike are not allowed into the MLBPA. That is why Damian Miller couldn't pose in pictures and stuff after the D'Backs and Cubs won the Series.

VaSoxfan
07-19-2004, 03:41 PM

He is in the game, EA Sports snuck him onto the Giants lineup...look for a Jim or Jon Dowd...his attributes and stats, etc are identical to Bonds and he kills the ball...all you need to do is Edit Player and he's all yours.

fuzzy_patters
07-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get the CPU to steal more? I turned the steal rate up to 50, and the CPU has still only attempted 1 SB. This kind of ruins the game for me because I know I can just go get another firstbasemen or outfielder and put him behind the plate. Any suggestions?

Rocky Soprano
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
He is in the game, EA Sports snuck him onto the Giants lineup...look for a Jim or Jon Dowd...his attributes and stats, etc are identical to Bonds and he kills the ball...all you need to do is Edit Player and he's all yours.
They should of named him John Balco. :D:

Dadawg_77
07-19-2004, 04:08 PM
He is a complete A-Hole for one. Second, he isn't part of the Players Union.

On a related note, replacement players that played during the strike are not allowed into the MLBPA. That is why Damian Miller couldn't pose in pictures and stuff after the D'Backs and Cubs won the Series.Well not exactly, Bonds opted out of the marketing part of the union like Jordan did with NBAPA. Bonds is still a part of the union and not like Damien Miller and others who are not in the union since they were scabs in 95.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-20-2004, 02:33 AM
I skimmed threw these posts so if I say something someone else already has said, sorry;

You guys need to edit a few players. Konerko is HORRID vs. RHP. Adjust those ratings (I have him as 77 avg vs. RHP and 77 in HR vs. RHP, kept vs. LHP ratings the same). Also, Shingo is not in the game, you can't play as the White Sox without Shingo! I created him, looks much like himself. Has the nasty 60 MPH changeup and the wicked curve.

Best game I've had so far? I was down 6-3 vs. Minnesota in my dynasty in the bottom of the 9th, Willie singled, Uribe doubled, Willie stayed at 3rd, Magglio popped out, Thomas walked, Valentin popped out, Konerko ended the game with a grand slam!

Basebalalldatime
07-24-2004, 02:45 PM
this is the best baseball game right now:Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:

SoxFan76
07-24-2004, 03:24 PM
this is the best baseball game right now:Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker: :Rocker:
It's awesome, but there is so much more room for improvement. I actually hit a home run with Valentin today, but the lefty glitch is still very annoying. I understand there are only 2 legends teams, 25 on each team, but they missed so many legends that should definitely be in the game. Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ted Williams just to name a few. I also wish they atleast put more AAA players in the game. Especially for people like me who play on Playstation, and don't have the equipment to transfer rosters from the computer. I kind of would like the PC version just for the fact that you can do so many more things with the game. There are a few little glitches here and there, but most games have things like that. For instance, I get errors charged to my team for the weirdest things. But still, it's a kick ass game. Especially compared to 2003.

StockdaleForVeep
07-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I skimmed threw these posts so if I say something someone else already has said, sorry;

You guys need to edit a few players. Konerko is HORRID vs. RHP. Adjust those ratings (I have him as 77 avg vs. RHP and 77 in HR vs. RHP, kept vs. LHP ratings the same). Also, Shingo is not in the game, you can't play as the White Sox without Shingo! I created him, looks much like himself. Has the nasty 60 MPH changeup and the wicked curve.

Best game I've had so far? I was down 6-3 vs. Minnesota in my dynasty in the bottom of the 9th, Willie singled, Uribe doubled, Willie stayed at 3rd, Magglio popped out, Thomas walked, Valentin popped out, Konerko ended the game with a grand slam!
What pitching style did u give him, i eventually just said eff it and gave him kaz sasaki's style since he starts off sideways on the mound.

I dont get this, how can a closer get 50 saves and complain about not being played enuff!

Another annoying thing i hate, if you have a player signed as indespensible, and they get injured\miss a few games, when they come back they bitch and moan saying theyre not happy with theyre playing time.

pearso66
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
What pitching style did u give him, i eventually just said eff it and gave him kaz sasaki's style since he starts off sideways on the mound.

I dont get this, how can a closer get 50 saves and complain about not being played enuff!

Another annoying thing i hate, if you have a player signed as indespensible, and they get injured\miss a few games, when they come back they bitch and moan saying theyre not happy with theyre playing time.
I have one better. Crede went down earlier in the year for 10 games, then he just got hurt again for 43 games, and 3 games into the 2nd injury, he's on the DL mind you, he's upset over playing time. How can he be upset he's not playing, when he's hurt? Thats somethign I hope they fix for next year.

Chrisaway
08-08-2004, 05:11 AM
I just picked up the PC version of this game. It is INFINITELY better that the other versions. The uniform/stadium mods on MVPmods.com make the game look beautiful. A logitech dual action gamepad works well. It was well worth trading in my Xbox version for:smile: .

Cubbiesuck13
08-09-2004, 06:12 AM
I just picked up the PC version of this game. It is INFINITELY better that the other versions. The uniform/stadium mods on MVPmods.com make the game look beautiful. A logitech dual action gamepad works well. It was well worth trading in my Xbox version for:smile: .
do you play it on laptop? if so any suggestions on the cheapest way to play it seamlessly?