PDA

View Full Version : Almonte ready next year?

CerberusWG
09-08-2001, 09:49 PM
Seems like Ed Almonte is a good closer down in AA, you think we should give him a shot next year, if Foulke goes to another team? Better than Gascan Howry....

Wait...Royce for closer!

:hitless

Was there ever a doubt?

danman31
09-08-2001, 09:53 PM
Wow, this site of posters has gone from 'Don't trade Foulke!!!' to 'Is Almonte ready to replace Foulke next year?' Ahh, to be a fan.

CerberusWG
09-08-2001, 09:55 PM
Im only saying this because I dont think Foulke will resign with the Sox. Now if Reinsdorf gives Foulke the money, I'd stick with Foulke, but Reinsdorf giving out money is an oxymoron.

KempersRS
09-08-2001, 09:56 PM
If Almonte can do what he did in AA in the Bigs, then Foulke should have been traded already. Foulke would have brought in a ton of talent, maybe a catcher. But I guess we can't be sure Almonte is going to be effective at this level.

dimaisback
09-08-2001, 10:22 PM
I sincerely doubt that Almonte is ready to recplacer Foulke (probably best closer in the majors or close to it if one is to average out the last 3 years) as a full-time closer. Until I see Almonte throw a single strike in the majors, I still want Foulke as my closer.

For some reason, Almonte wasn;t even considered in top 15 prospects in Sox organization. I wonder why....though one can;t ignore the numbers he put up/

Jerry_Manuel
09-08-2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dimaisback
For some reason, Almonte wasn;t even considered in top 15 prospects in Sox organization. I wonder why....though one can;t ignore the numbers he put up/

Well some players don't get noticed by the "experts". He broke the Southern League saves record. You have to stand up and take notice of that.

LongDistanceFan
09-08-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by dimaisback
I sincerely doubt that Almonte is ready to recplacer Foulke (probably best closer in the majors or close to it if one is to average out the last 3 years) as a full-time closer. Until I see Almonte throw a single strike in the majors, I still want Foulke as my closer.

Almonte is young and is a surprise, what would be an idea situation is to bring him up, be a relief pitcher, groom him for a closer. In the meantime sign foulke for what he is worth. Foulke is the man. Plus we have more pitcher getting ready for the bullpen duties as well.

dimaisback
09-08-2001, 10:59 PM
If Sox want to win 3 championships in the next 5 years, guess who should be closing for them? Besides, "Foulke the Cubs" sign would lose its appeal if Almonte is closing the games..

As far as experts not noticing, same thing happened to Buerhle, Fogg, Rowand, Rauch, Wright, Malone, Ulacias, Biddle and a few other people including Foulke and S.Lowe for other organizations.

Some experts can only evaluate looking in the "rearview mirror".
And even then some still fail to acquire some clue....

:clueless

A sourse very close to the top in the Sox organization had confirmed my theory that most Sox "phenoms"...are cyborgs whose elbows are programmed to self-destruct within 3 years....this exposive information has already cost me my job

:moron

Not to mention a clubhouse insider reporting that Sox are smuggling Danny Almonte out of his native Brazil with fake papers into order for him to pitch for his older brother in AA, who in turn is needed HERE, in Chicago, to secretly support D.Wells, Parque, Durham, Thomas, Von Joshua and the old bat boy Pepe in a revolt against the rest of the organization.