PDA

View Full Version : Outfield Walls - Color?


Rush20
03-15-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm curious if the SOX will change the outfield pads this season. Personally, I wasn't too crazy with the All-Star colors (purple/black) last season. I'm hoping they switch to a traditional dark green to match the new look of the ball park - similar to the color of the center field hitting backdrop. The blue looks too sterile on TV.

Also, after looking at Yankee Stadium during last year's World Series, I never noticed the striking similarities to the original version of New Comiskey. I think JR is indeed a closet Yankee fan.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm hoping for green too. That blue padding looks awful on tv and in pictures.

As for the Yankee Stadium thing, the new UD facade is kind of old Yankee Stadium-like.

RedPinStripes
03-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
I'm curious if the SOX will change the outfield pads this season. Personally, I wasn't too crazy with the All-Star colors (purple/black) last season. I'm hoping they switch to a traditional dark green to match the new look of the ball park - similar to the color of the center field hitting backdrop. The blue looks too sterile on TV.

Also, after looking at Yankee Stadium during last year's World Series, I never noticed the striking similarities to the original version of New Comiskey. I think JR is indeed a closet Yankee fan. How would dark green match the new design? Seems like everything is a greyish black color.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
How would dark green match the new design? Seems like everything is a greyish black color.


The batters eye is a greyish-green, so I think that is the color that should be used on the padding. C'mon man, don't tell me you like that blue. :(:

SouthSideHitman
03-15-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm tellin' you, they should be all black. That should be the new scheme for the park. It'd look so cool and it would be distinctive. I mean, I liked how the wall looked in center last year, it just got bad with the faux fireworks transition into blue.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I like black as an accent color, not a primary color of anything. I don't want to thave the feeling of WWE in my ballpark. And besides, I don't need anything attracting more sun, being fair-skinned and all....... :cool:

guillen4life13
03-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Cosmetically, I think black would look awesome BUT...

Think about how much heat the seats would absorb. On a warm summer day with bright blue seats they still burn your ass--black seats would leave you with 3rd degree burns. Even dark green plastic sounds a little painful to me.

jabrch
03-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't really care much. I'd rather see them get us a 5th starter!!!!

Brian26
03-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
I think JR is indeed a closet Yankee fan.

JR's a Brooklyn Dodgers fan from his childhood. He hates the Yankees.

IronFisk
03-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I like black as an accent color, not a primary color of anything. I don't want to thave the feeling of WWE in my ballpark. And besides, I don't need anything attracting more sun, being fair-skinned and all....... :cool:

THAT'S IT!

WHITE SEATS!!! Aw come on... you certainly can't complain about buttburn!!

Black and white...sounds like a good scheme to me!

santo=dorf
03-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Could we please stop trying to make USCF into the Old Comiskey? Why would we have green walls with blue seats? Oh because then it would look great with the green seats that everyone wants. I say make the walls either blue to go with the seats, or black like the jerseys.

nitetrain8601
03-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Could we please stop trying to make USCF into the Old Comiskey? Why would we have green walls with blue seats? Oh because then it would look great with the green seats that everyone wants. I say make the walls either blue to go with the seats, or black like the jerseys.

PREACH!

I'm sick of the blue complaints. Yankee stadium has blue, I don't see none of their fans b*tching. I don't see people b*tching about Soldier Field. Lots of stadiums have blue, go b*tch about their stadiums and how much of a sh*thole they are. Stop living in the past.

soltrain21
03-16-2004, 12:26 AM
I hope they make the wall padding the same color as the beams and stuff..

Unless that is illegal due to not being able to see the ball or something?

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The batters eye is a greyish-green, so I think that is the color that should be used on the padding. C'mon man, don't tell me you like that blue. :(:

No, the batters eye is charcoal like the roof and the lattice work on the scoreboards. That's what the padding should all be. I have a feeling they'll do that too. They must've gotten some positive feedback from last year. The CF fence looked nice although you could still see a blue stripe below the yellow line. And they had too much colorwork in the corners. Lately, they've been concerned with color so you never know they might be converting to charcoal black as we speak. Let's hope so.

Kroozah
03-16-2004, 12:54 AM
who cares what color the seats are, if we had a great team people would be sitting in them and not seeing them. We need to spend the money on something more useful like talent to put on the field.

no matter what it is, no one is going to be happy anyhow....

ihatethecubs
03-16-2004, 02:33 AM
wow, it seems like the green seats come up once a month on this board.

SSN721
03-16-2004, 08:50 AM
I personally would like to see the charcoal/black color accented all over the park. I really dont care all that much about seats, I think the blue seats would look just fine with black accents around the rest of the park would be a good combo. But I honestly dont care nearly as much about that as I do about the appearence of the team on the field. Although I know it is a different argument because the money for improvements to the park and payroll are two seperate entities. So we might as well bitch about what we like and dont like cosmetically. Not everyone will ever be happy anyway.

Railsplitter
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm more intersted in the action (on or off the field) than I am in paint jobs.

anewman35
03-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm just curious, why do people feel the need to point out that they care more about the team than the stadium every single time a thread is about the park? I'd pretty sure all of us care more about the team than the stadium, but should that mean we can't discuss the stadium? Are the people who only care about the team better fans or something?

This isn't meant to annoy anybody, and isn't pointed at anybody in particular, but I just don't get it.

Iwritecode
03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I'm just curious, why do people feel the need to point out that they care more about the team than the stadium every single time a thread is about the park? I'd pretty sure all of us care more about the team than the stadium, but should that mean we can't discuss the stadium? Are the people who only care about the team better fans or something?

This isn't meant to annoy anybody, and isn't pointed at anybody in particular, but I just don't get it.

Because this topic has been beaten to death on these boards and in the long run, who really cares?!?

Right now the color of the seats is about #432 on the list of things that need to be done with this team/organization...

anewman35
03-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Because this topic has been beaten to death on these boards and in the long run, who really cares?!?

Right now the color of the seats is about #432 on the list of things that need to be done with this team/organization...

And hasn't us needing a second baseman and a 5th starter been equally beaten to death? And let's say this is #432 on the list. Does talking about this somehow mean we can't talk about the first 431 things? Where should the cutoff point be about what it's ok to talk about?

I dunno, if I see a thread named "Renovations" or "Wall Color" or "Shower in Right Field" and I don't care, I just wouldn't click on it, and maybe it would die faster. Maybe that's just me, though.

Hangar18
03-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rush20

Also, after looking at Yankee Stadium during last year's World Series, I never noticed the striking similarities to the original version of New Comiskey. I think JR is indeed a closet Yankee fan.

New Comiskey is an almost Duplicate of Yankee stadium, from the blue seats, to the blue padding, to the way the seats face
painfully towards centerfield (down the lines) to the Now New ornamental ironwork on the roof. What are we gonna do?
It will be at least 80 years before they begin thinking of tearing down this place. Til then, make THE OUTFIELD WALLS A CHARCOAL GRAY & BLACK COLOR scheme, like the rest of the stadium. I must say, the way the ramps are painted in the charcoal and black offsetting schemes looks really good. Gives comiskey a hi tech kind of look. I like it. Everything being black and charcoal looks surprisingly really well.
HINT to WhiteSOX. and dont just make the Pads BLACK.
do something innovative. I like the way the dodgers have an all dodger silhouette with former players in blue scheme out there.
The SOX used to be about forward thinking.....its time they used that for the walls. Remember, every outfield flyball gets shown
on TV and how cool would that be to be in Korea, or London and seeing a flyball and IMMEDIATELY know, just because of the Outfield WallColor scheme, that the games in Comiskey

soxnut
03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
No, the batters eye is charcoal like the roof and the lattice work on the scoreboards. That's what the padding should all be. I have a feeling they'll do that too. They must've gotten some positive feedback from last year. The CF fence looked nice although you could still see a blue stripe below the yellow line. And they had too much colorwork in the corners. Lately, they've been concerned with color so you never know they might be converting to charcoal black as we speak. Let's hope so.

Man, you must be color blind. The batters eye is not the same color as the lattice. Why would you have green ivy, in front a a charcoal colored concrete?

But, if they painted the padding a charcoal color, I'd be fine with that.

As for the blue seats, other ballparks have them, and yes Soldier Field has them, but it is a darker, richer blue, which is easier on the eyes. Of course if enough fans came to the park, seat color wouldn't matter. But for some reason, seat color must matter, because it has been a topic of discussion for a long time. For those who don't want to participate in this discussion........ don't. There are many other topics/thread in which you can post.

I for one don't want green seats because I want the ballpark to look like old Comiskey, it's just that in my opinion, green is a much easier color on the eyes. So, I would prefer it. And it looks a hell of a lot better on television. But in regards to television, I hate watching ballgames on tv from the Metrodome, Skydome, etc..(even tho I do watch them anyway) but I would never want to go to those types of parks. I can see the same thing about people watching our games on tv---the blue is not appealing to the eye. And if these fans happen to be considering Chicago in the summer, from what they see on tv---why should they come to our ballpark?


Of course the die hard Sox fan is going to watch the Sox no matter what kind of ballpark we have. But remember this, baseball is an entertainment industry. You have to do your best to accomodate the casual fan as well. Yo have to draw their interest, of course winning cures alot, but you have to have backups to draw fans. Having a great ballpark can do that in a tourist town like Chicago.

Hangar18
03-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Right now the color of the seats is about #432 on the list of things that need to be done with this team/organization...

Your absolutely correct.
White Sox Fans Things to do List:

1. Regime Change. Jerry Reinsdorf must be forcibly removed
...
....
...
....
.....
....
....
432. Change outfield pads to black/charcoal. and do job RIGHT.
not half-ass as thinking goes in this organization

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Because this topic has been beaten to death on these boards and in the long run, who really cares?!?

Right now the color of the seats is about #432 on the list of things that need to be done with this team/organization...

That's true, but the topic of this thread was the wall padding. I don't know how we got off course. Strange, idn't it?

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm color blind? You're crazy.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/photogallery/upperdeck_renovations/040301/08.jpg

I don't know how I can convince you. You can see a small part of the old batters eye still remains at the very base of the structure. And that was painted black because the blue was peeling and was too bright. I think Albert Belle complained about it.

You ask why you would put ivy on a black wall? Well, why would you put up a green wall when everything else is blue? Those two colors don't match. Black matches everything.

As for the seat color, I'd much rather keep blue with black trim everywhere. Painting or replacing seats would be a waste of money and in my opinion, it would be a downgrade aesthetically.

The Critic
03-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I personally don't care at all what color the seats are.
The outfield walls, I care about a little, because I'm looking at the wall when the ball heads that way. I don't really pay any attention to the seats except when I'm looking for the one I paid to sit in.
I honestly don't think the seat color makes a bit of difference.
I think USCF looks great right now - the renovations have made it look so much better than before.

IronFisk
03-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Seats...schmeats!

As I have stated before...it ain't happening (money, priorities, etc.).

Also...I'd much rather see brick facia on all exposed concrete. I think that would be a very welcome touch in the bullpen area, and in the UD where the wheelchairs go. Upon looking closely at the new UD photos, I didn't realize how TALL those walls were - of course I was obscured before by the dizzying height of the UD.

Baby Fisk
03-16-2004, 02:30 PM
If it ain't ivy, it's second-best.

A.T. Money
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
The scoreboard and batter's eye in center is DARK GREEN!

If you go to a evening game when the sun is shining directly into the scoreboard before the game starts and you walk past it on the center field concourse, it's extremely clear what color the scoreboard is. The batter's eye is the same color.

soxnut
03-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
The scoreboard and batter's eye in center is DARK GREEN!

If you go to a evening game when the sun is shining directly into the scoreboard before the game starts and you walk past it on the center field concourse, it's extremely clear what color the scoreboard is. The batter's eye is the same color.


Thanks :smile:

soxnut
03-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm color blind? You're crazy.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/photogallery/upperdeck_renovations/040301/08.jpg

I don't know how I can convince you. You can see a small part of the old batters eye still remains at the very base of the structure. And that was painted black because the blue was peeling and was too bright. I think Albert Belle complained about it.

You ask why you would put ivy on a black wall? Well, why would you put up a green wall when everything else is blue? Those two colors don't match. Black matches everything.

As for the seat color, I'd much rather keep blue with black trim everywhere. Painting or replacing seats would be a waste of money and in my opinion, it would be a downgrade aesthetically.

You can't convince me. In this picture it does look charcoal, but in reality it's not. If that were the case, you'd also be telling me that the scoreboard is charcoal as well---which it is not. I stand by my words. And, ATMONEY knows better too. :smile:

You think the blue seats are aestehetically pleasing? Man, now I know you're color blind. If it were the blue like Soldier Field, Turner Field Citizens Bank Park, then I would agree it would be ok to leave the blue, but that almost-close-to-neon-blue is awful. It hurts my eyes :(:

dickallen15
03-16-2004, 05:36 PM
The back drop, and the scoreboard are definitely a dark green. In fact, when the colors of these 2 things were changed, the White Sox referred to it as a "greening up" of the park.

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The back drop, and the scoreboard are definitely a dark green. In fact, when the colors of these 2 things were changed, the White Sox referred to it as a "greening up" of the park.

Do you think they might have really been talking about the plants all over the batters eye?

dickallen15
03-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Do you think they might have really been talking about the plants all over the batters eye?

That's part of it, but the scoreboard and the backdrop are green. Call the White Sox and ask them. Also the signage outside the park has gone from blue to dark green.

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
You can't convince me. In this picture it does look charcoal, but in reality it's not. If that were the case, you'd also be telling me that the scoreboard is charcoal as well---which it is not. I stand by my words. And, ATMONEY knows better too. :smile:

You think the blue seats are aestehetically pleasing? Man, now I know you're color blind. If it were the blue like Soldier Field, Turner Field Citizens Bank Park, then I would agree it would be ok to leave the blue, but that almost-close-to-neon-blue is awful. It hurts my eyes :(:

It looks charcoal because it is. I've mixed paint before and a lot of colors go into a color. If there is any green in that paint, it's a negligible amount. Not nearly enough for it to be called "green."

Also, I said the blue seats go well with the CHARCOAL, not so much that I like that particular blue on its own or with all the blue fences and such. And the blue is only a tad brighter than at Soldier field. In the bleachers it's very powdery but that's probably because the paint wore off and the metal is exposed somewhat. The plastic seats retain their color better because they're not painted.

StockdaleForVeep
03-16-2004, 07:28 PM
cant we just agree to it bein a very dark green?

look at the door in the center, a light green, green and then charcoal black doesnt match very well unless yer a head turning satanist.

batmanZoSo
03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
cant we just agree to it bein a very dark green?

look at the door in the center, a light green, green and then charcoal black doesnt match very well unless yer a head turning satanist.

"Can't we just agree to disagree."

"I don't agree to that!"

Oh my god the PTA has disbanded! AHHHHHH!