PDA

View Full Version : Baseball-Reference Dot Com

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 04:23 PM
You gotta love that site. I was just perusing at nonsense and came across a very interesting fact.

The Chicago White Sox and the chicago cubs have the exact same winning percentage while they were both in existence (1901-2003)--.505. I knew it was close, but jesus...well, here's to breaking the tie (with a vengeance) in 2004.

We have a winning record against the entire AL Central all-time sans Detroit--probably the most successful ALC team. Around the league, only NYY, BOS, TOR and of course Detroit have winning records against us.

In my lifetime, though, (1982-present) we're much better at .514. I don't even need to search the cubs for that period...I know we've been much better. In that time frame, we have a winning record against everyone but Toronto. Dang canucks...

And finally, but most importantly...

Frank Thomas is 12th all time in adjusted OPS+. Perhaps the ultimate judger of a great hitter. Our good friend Samuel Sosa is not in the top 100. Bobby Abreu is...

So you see what we got in our little DH. I wonder if he'll make the hall??????????????

benjamin
03-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Thomas' OBP becomes even more impressive when you consider that he hits righty. Most of the top OBP guys on that list batted lefty.

jabrch
03-15-2004, 04:37 PM
yeah - but he is brutal on the 3-6-3

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by benjamin
Thomas' OBP becomes even more impressive when you consider that he hits righty. Most of the top OBP guys on that list batted lefty.

Good point. I forgot to include that. I noticed that 8 of the top 10 obp guys are left handed. And 15 out of 20 are left handed (if you include #20 Mickey Mantle who was of course a switch hitter).

Makes you think they should adjust for left handers who have a huge advantage...unless they already do that...and they probably do nowadays lol.

voodoochile
03-15-2004, 04:43 PM
For the record, both those numbers have been rounded up. The Sox actually hold a slight edge, .50478 to .50470. So take pride, Sox fans, our boys are better than the Lovable Losers one more time. Of course if you don't have a better Win% than a team that prides itself on losing, then you really should throw in the towel...

Look around in the archives there is a year by year record comparison with totals through last season somewhere on the site.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
For the record, both those numbers have been rounded up. The Sox actually hold a slight edge, .50478 to .50470. So take pride, Sox fans, our boys are better than the Lovable Losers one more time. Of course if you don't have a better Win% than a team that prides itself on losing, then you really should throw in the towel...

Look around in the archives there is a year by year record comparison with totals through last season somewhere on the site.

We win by eight hundred thousandths of a percent.

We rule.

Also we're 20-16 vs. them all time. I calculated in another thread that we were 20-17.

SoxFan76
03-15-2004, 05:14 PM
I thought the Sox winning PCT. was MUCH higher than the Cubs. That is very surprising. I know in the last 30 or 40 years the Sox must have a much bigger advantage.

ode to veeck
03-15-2004, 05:16 PM
basebal-reference.com is a great resource

we racked up a big lead on the Flubs in the 50s and 60s when they really sucked and the Sox were pretty competitive

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I thought the Sox winning PCT. was MUCH higher than the Cubs. That is very surprising. I know in the last 30 or 40 years the Sox must have a much bigger advantage.

From 1921 to 45, the Cubs were winning pennants left and right and we were mired in the dark, post-Black Sox days.

Like the other guy said we were winning close to 90 games every year from 51-67 and the cubs were awful. And we all know about the cubs 30 year streak of not having consecutive winning seasons.

voodoochile
03-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76

They dominated the first decade of the 20th century to the extent that ESPN named them the team of the decade for that period.

BZS is also correct about their pennant winning ways prior to 1945.

Huisj
03-15-2004, 07:08 PM
i love that site. i totally wasted an hour or so a few nights because i got sucked into the similar players stuff at the bottom of the screen and then into the transactions stuff about each player's trades and free agent signings. for some reason i ended up trying to find a way to get from whatever random player i was looking at at that time to mike caruso only using the links for the similar players. it was kind of tough, it took a long time, but with some of the names from the past that i came across, it was really quite fun. much better than the homework i should have been doing (and should be doing right now too . . .)