PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Tucson

LASOXFAN
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Spent last Thursday through Sunday watching the Sox and other teams work out the kinks for the new season.

Good signs...

Uribe is murdering the ball - hit a BIG blast onto the road on Friday.

Mags struck out on a terrible pitch and Ozzie called him over and gave him grief. Mags didn't like it but I did. It was a terrible pitch.

Crede looks sharp in the field and at the plate.

Brian Anderson is going to be a stud. Mark it down right now. The kid is tenacious and rips the ball. Once he stops trying to stretch every double into a triple, he's going to be something special (he even tried to do it after stumbling around first!).

Pulled pork sandwiches rock. In fact, food at TEP beats the other parks in the Cactus League by far.

Cubs look awful. I mean awful.

Bad signs...

Mike Jackson, not so good.

PK looks lost at the plate...still.

Ozzie likes to tinker too.
:angry:

Stayed at the same hotel as the Angels and spoke to some guys in the front office - that team is on a mission to win it all.

Cubs have a BUNCH of talent.

That's it. Great time. If you ever get the chance to go don't hesitate to go, it's so worth it. Temp was never below 80 during the day!

rmusacch
03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Spent last Thursday through Sunday watching the Sox and other teams work out the kinks for the new season.

Good signs...

Uribe is murdering the ball - hit a BIG blast onto the road on Friday.

Mags struck out on a terrible pitch and Ozzie called him over and gave him grief. Mags didn't like it but I did. It was a terrible pitch.

Crede looks sharp in the field and at the plate.

Brian Anderson is going to be a stud. Mark it down right now. The kid is tenacious and rips the ball. Once he stops trying to stretch every double into a triple, he's going to be something special (he even tried to do it after stumbling around first!).

Pulled pork sandwiches rock. In fact, food at TEP beats the other parks in the Cactus League by far.

Cubs look awful. I mean awful.

Bad signs...

Mike Jackson, not so good.

PK looks lost at the plate...still.

Ozzie likes to tinker too.
:angry:

Stayed at the same hotel as the Angels and spoke to some guys in the front office - that team is on a mission to win it all.

Cubs have a BUNCH of talent.

That's it. Great time. If you ever get the chance to go don't hesitate to go, it's so worth it. Temp was never below 80 during the day!

Uribe's batting average is not showing that he is murdering the ball. How can you judge Guillen on his tinkering during spring training? Spring training is all about tinkering.

sas1974
03-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Uribe's batting average is not showing that he is murdering the ball. How can you judge Guillen on his tinkering during spring training? Spring training is all about tinkering.

While I agree that spring is for tinkering, it is possible to be murdering the ball and not getting hits, which in spring is not a bad thing. Nothing wrong w/ some could solid contact. Sometimes there's just someone standing there.

soxtalker
03-15-2004, 02:48 PM
... How can you judge Guillen on his tinkering during spring training? Spring training is all about tinkering.

I agree. It also seems that they've been minimizing the playing time of some of the players that they know will make the team, so that they can get a better look at the others.

Randar68
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM

What did you think? How much were you able to see him in the field? Looks like a natural out there, great arm and footwork and pretty terrific speed for a guy with as much power as he has...

It's too bad he missed the last 3-4 weeks of last season, but this extended experience with the regulars in ST is only going to help. I'd be surprised if he didn't see some time in AA by mid-season. He has a chance to be another Reed-esque guy, with better power (although less potential to be a real HIGH-average) player. I never understood why so many scouts were down on Anderson as a first-round pick. The Sox were able to EXTENSIVELY scout him he just has great all-around tools...

Sweeney is having a hard time making real SOLID contact. Making a lot of contact, but he's looking like a real spray-hitter so far, but he's done a hell of a job for a kid 9 months out of Iowa HS. He needs to get off his back foot. Still a ton of potential.

Another note: Rivera is a TERRIBLE catcher. If I have to watch this guy catch another game, I might be sick to my stomach.

rmusacch
03-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I agree. It also seems that they've been minimizing the playing time of some of the players that they know will make the team, so that they can get a better look at the others.

Yes Gload has gotten a lot of at bats. Spring training should be a time for evaluating players that are not necessarily locks. I would think that Gload was not a lock before spring training began and it looks like he has hit his way onto the team.

LASOXFAN
03-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
What did you think? How much were you able to see him in the field? Looks like a natural out there, great arm and footwork and pretty terrific speed for a guy with as much power as he has...

It's too bad he missed the last 3-4 weeks of last season, but this extended experience with the regulars in ST is only going to help. I'd be surprised if he didn't see some time in AA by mid-season. He has a chance to be another Reed-esque guy, with better power (although less potential to be a real HIGH-average) player. I never understood why so many scouts were down on Anderson as a first-round pick. The Sox were able to EXTENSIVELY scout him he just has great all-around tools...

Sweeney is having a hard time making real SOLID contact. Making a lot of contact, but he's looking like a real spray-hitter so far, but he's done a hell of a job for a kid 9 months out of Iowa HS. He needs to get off his back foot. Still a ton of potential.

Another note: Rivera is a TERRIBLE catcher. If I have to watch this guy catch another game, I might be sick to my stomach.

Anderson looks great out there - saw him play 2 games in the field and was impressed, as was everyone sitting around me. I think the Sox made a great pick. He's much faster than I thought he'd be and he just seems to have a hard-nosed approach to the game that everyone in the clubhouse likes. Even after he tried to stretch a double into a triple, the dugout really rallied behind him. It was nice to see. The future looks bright. Reed is a gem too.

LASOXFAN
03-15-2004, 03:22 PM

As for Uribe, I'm just telling you what I saw. He's mashing it. Everything he hits is hit hard. Yes, some are outs, but he's making great contact and runs the bases very aggressively.

I agree to a point with the Ozzie note, but I didn't see any other managers pulling pitchers as much as Ozzie was during the inning. It's spring - most let them work their way through the inning. Not Ozzie. Again, just my observation. Maybe you saw something different.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
As for Uribe, I'm just telling you what I saw. He's mashing it. Everything he hits is hit hard. Yes, some are outs, but he's making great contact and runs the bases very aggressively.

I agree to a point with the Ozzie note, but I didn't see any other managers pulling pitchers as much as Ozzie was during the inning. It's spring - most let them work their way through the inning. Not Ozzie. Again, just my observation. Maybe you saw something different.

THanks for the info man .............

sas1974
03-15-2004, 04:07 PM

Let's not forget that Ozzie is learning too. He's trying to figure out when it's a good time to pull a guy before he gets shelled, as well as evaluate as many of these guys as he can. He doesn't have the benefit of seeing them last year.

southsidesoxfan1
03-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Just got back from four games of spring training and there is a lot to be optimistic about. Top things, is that Uribe looked awefully good. Most of the regulars in the starting lineup are stinging the ball, except Paulie but he doesn't look as lost as he did in the first half last year. He's definitely going to be the question mark. Crede and Rowand look like they put on some serious muscle, and are crushing the ball. Lee is a beast as usual, and stealing bases, maybe he should lead off. Frank and Maggs look comfortable as ever, and Valentin is workin the lefty thing to good success. As for the pitching, it looked quite solid. Garland had a strong outing, as did Loiza, and Grilli. Koch and Shingo, were questionable, looked like Koc h was still trying to hard to find his release point. Shingo, couldn't get a lefty out. Damaso, had a tough time with the rockies, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Wish I got to see Polite, but he must of played some b-game. All in all, I'm very optimistic on are chances this year. I think the wildcards of the team are Garland, Konerko, and Koch. Other things of note, is that Sweeney kid looks damn good, he hit a nice shot off bartolo. As for food, the barbuque stand at TEP is fantastic, go with the half/ half. And also, bring a ton of loot, because the prices are outrageous. Beer goes from 5-8 bucks depending on what park your at. If at TEP go for the NIMBUS.