PDA

View Full Version : Starting Rotation

E Coast Sox Fan
03-15-2004, 10:36 AM
The starting rotation is is the big question mark in my mind. I think the team in the field is solid; could we make some upgrades sure, but overall I think it looks good. The bullpen also looks pretty solid - we'll see.

This gets back to the starting rotation. I like our one/two (but I don't expect Loiza to be quite as dominating). I have a hunch that Garland will pitch better this season.

I'm really worried about the other two spots. Bringing in another quality starter would be nice, but it appears unlikely. Can Grilli get it done for us? They seem to be pretty high on him right now. Thoughts?

MRKARNO
03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm most concerned about Schoenweis. Garland and Wright I feel pretty good about, but it would be nice to trade Konerko for Perez and replace schoenweis with perez.

soxfan26
03-15-2004, 10:46 AM
A second baseman/leadoff hitter bating .190 in ST is a cause for concern.

At least we have options in the rotation. Grilli, Wright & Garland are pitching well this spring, with Schoeny as insurance.

The Willie Harris experiment must end immediately.

poorme
03-15-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm not concerned about depth, I'm concerned about the quality of 3-4-5.

Garland will always be a 12 win 4.50 ERA guy.
Schoenweis ought to be about the same if not worse.

On the broadcast yesterday, KW said Wright has changed his mechanics and is not going to throw as hard as he did before. That concerns me. How much more can they take off his fastball?

Rauch is the only guy I think could be more than mediocre, but he's in the doghouse permanently.

fledgedrallycap
03-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'm most concerned about Schoenweis. Garland and Wright I feel pretty good about, but it would be nice to trade Konerko for Perez and replace schoenweis with perez.

The way I look at is this: We got NOTHING out of our fifth starter last year, Danny Wright if healthy is a respectable five. Shoenweis's job is to keep us in the race until July, if he doesn't mold into the surprise KW believe he can be, then he will be replaced by a more valuable arm down the stretch.

Both are having good Springs, let's hope it carries over.

soxfan26
03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
The way I look at is this: We got NOTHING out of our fifth starter last year, Danny Wright if healthy is a respectable five. Shoenweis's job is to keep us in the race until July, if he doesn't mold into the surprise KW believe he can be, then he will be replaced by a more valuable arm down the stretch.

Both are having good Springs, let's hope it carries over.

A 7.71 ERA is a good spring?

fledgedrallycap
03-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
A 7.71 ERA is a good spring?

He got rocked in one start, he has had a couple nice outings.

soxfan26
03-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
He got rocked in one start, he has had a couple nice outings.

He might prove to be serviceable until we find ourselves in a pennat race and add another starter, or he may be the suprise of 2004 but I'm still not buying the company line on this guy.

It upsets me to hear his name come out of KW & Ozzie's mouth ahead of Garland's for the #3 spot. Maybe they will prove why they have jobs in MLB and I don't when Schoeny wins 14 games and has an ERA around 4.00, but I'll believe it when I see it.

hold2dibber
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
The Sox rotation is so full of "ifs" and quesiton marks that there's no way to know how things will turn out:

1. Will Loaiza be able to to pitch like a top of the rotation starter, or was last year an abberation?

2. Will Buehrle be able to reverse the trend that has seen his numbers become worse in each of the past 2 seasons, or will he continue to slide?

3. Can Garland be a no. 3 starter? If he doesn't have the best year of his career (to date), the Sox have some problems.

4. Can Schoenweiss, Wright, Grilli and/or Rauch provide league average (or better) performance out of the back of the rotation? Really hard to know what to expect from any of these guys.

I also have to note that with the pitching rotation so thin, an injury to Buehrle, Garland or Loaiza would be absolutely devastating. I know that most teams would be hurting if any of their top 3 starters was hurt, but I think the Sox are thinner than most.

sas1974
03-15-2004, 11:18 AM
I am still NOT PLEASED that they handed Schoenweiss a starting job. I think he should have been tossed in the pool w/ the rest of the guys to fight for the 4th and 5th spots. If he didn't cut it, then it would be off to the pen. And now we hear they think he's #3?!?! What has he done to earn that?

SoxxoS
03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
I am still NOT PLEASED that they handed Schoenweiss a starting job. I think he should have been tossed in the pool w/ the rest of the guys to fight for the 4th and 5th spots. If he didn't cut it, then it would be off to the pen. And now we hear they think he's #3?!?! What has he done to earn that?

He's KW and Cooper's boy, for some reason.

sas1974
03-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He's KW and Cooper's boy, for some reason.

That doesn't seem like a good enough reason to hand someone a starting slot on a major league club. I REALLY hope that they see something in him that most of us seem to be missing.

Nick@Nite
03-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Many years ago, the Boston Braves had a thin rotation which prompted the saying "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain".

Our pitching staff this year says "Loaiza and Buehrle then I'm gonna get hurly".

:chunks

jabrch
03-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
Many years ago, the Boston Braves had a thin rotation which prompted the saying "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain".

Our pitching staff this year says "Loaiza and Buehrle then I'm gonna get hurly".

:chunks

Texas had "Sele then Helling then three days of shelling" I liked that one.

bartmanisgod
03-15-2004, 12:48 PM
KW said he is definetely not done filling in all the holes... Jerry has his balls in a knoose, and it makes it very hard for KW to make moves with no $$$ I am positive that 40 games into the season PK will be a Dodger and we will have Perez in our rotation!

Mickster
03-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bartmanisgod
KW said he is definetely not done filling in all the holes... Jerry has his balls in a knoose, and it makes it very hard for KW to make moves with no $$$ I am positive that 40 games into the season PK will be a Dodger and we will have Perez in our rotation!

HOORAY!!!! :(: