PDA

View Full Version : How many people got the Sox losing to the Cubs thrown in their face today?

chisoxmike
03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
I recieved some text messages and friends and co-workers telling me today that "Sox lose Sox lose" and "Sox are sucking early" today with their lose yesterday. I said "Its only spring training." and every responce was "But it shows the Sox suck and Cubs are better."

kittle42
03-15-2004, 12:47 AM
I heard two bouncers discussing it outside Shenanigan's last night. When I chimed in with pro-Sox comments, the guy taking the cover charge let me and my friends in for free, saying he wasn't taking money from fellow fans.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:50 AM
I'll admit, had we Won, I was going to throw the SOX victory all over cubfaces. Yes, every cub fan, every single cub fan today smiled and said they won yesterday. I told them to note who came up with the big plays for them, and reminded them that just because the Pirates and Marlins gave away their best players, doesnt make the cubs better. they didnt get it.

roofshot87
03-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Honestly, If the sox had beaten the Cubs on saturday and I had mentioned it to any Cub fan, their response would be, "Its just spring training dude." Since the Cubs won, its another "huge triumph for Chicago and the human spirit" Give me a break.

cheeses_h_rice
03-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Sheesh. Either way, IT'S JUST SPRING TRAINING.

Who cares?

:?:

WhiteSox = Life
03-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Besides the usual and very sound "it's just Spring Training" retort, look at the Cubs lineup compared to the White Sox.

Need I say more?

DrCrawdad
03-15-2004, 01:56 AM
The Cubbies won on Saturday. However bear in mind that Zambrano got hit pretty good by the Sox and Zambrano did not look very sharp. As you'd expect, when The Gloadinator hit the HR off Zambrano Santo/Hughes dismissed it as an Arizona HR.

Then Sunday the Cubbies pitching staph (The best pitching staph in the history of baseball) gave up a combined 18 RUNS! Clement was not sharp Sunday giving up 4 runs in 2 innings. Also Clement has allowed 10 earned runs over seven innings in his three starts.

The Cubs may be regarded as having the best staff in baseball, but with all the young pitchers throwing in spring training they entered Sunday with a 5.91 ERA, fourth worst in the National League.

Vsahajpal
03-15-2004, 05:33 AM
color me worried

ihatethecubs
03-15-2004, 06:24 AM
i heard it a few times then quickly shut them up when i told them that the cubs basically put all their starters out there and used all their best relievers, while some of the best sox best hitters dnp and dan wright along with minor leaugers pitched for us and we barely lost. and oh yeah, it was spring training.

SSN721
03-15-2004, 06:47 AM
I watched it with friends and roommates at my apartment and even after the game was over they really didnt gloat about it (they were all Cub fans). At least they were smart enough to realize that the lineups were not even comparable and the Sox only started losing when they pulled Wright who was pitching well while Zembrano was pitching at best below average. I'm not too dissapointed it was so close with the desparity of talent that was on the field.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
color me worried

It will sure be a wonderful thing if the Cubbies crash and burn this season in the face of smug Cubbie fans.

jabrch
03-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
It will sure be a wonderful thing if the Cubbies crash and burn this season in the face of smug Cubbie fans.

That would be so nice - keep their string of over 30 seasons without going over .500 back to back alive!

If our second string was able to go late in the game with a lead against their starters - and we only lost it when our third string was on the field, I am hardly concerned. Ozzie and Hawk were talking yesterday about what our record would be if ST games were only 5 innnings. Our starters have performed fairly well.

ST results really don't matter much. I do hope this Sox team performs better than expectations. The division is so bad - it is ours for the taking.

WSox8404
03-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Some a$$hole at work asked me what the score of the game was. I thought he didn't know, so I told him. Then he started smiling and asked me who won. I told him to kiss it.

Jerko
03-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Nobody threw it in my face, but all the Cub fans that I was with were cheering the replay of Scammy's home run as if it were happening live and then wondered aloud why the Cubs still only had one run since they saw the homer twice. I had to break the news to them that replays don't count in the actual score and then I told them that's why I hate them.

Dan H
03-15-2004, 10:42 AM
No Cub fan has gloated in front of me, and I wouldn't care if they did. Spring training games don't count so I can't get worked up about them.

As much as I like seeing the Sox dump on the Cubs, I wouldn't care if the Sox lost every pre-season and regular season game to the Cubs if they made it to the World Series. The supreme bragging rights belong to whomever gets to the Fall Classic. The games in March don't mean anything.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Nobody threw it in my face, but all the Cub fans that I was with were cheering the replay of Scammy's home run as if it were happening live and then wondered aloud why the Cubs still only had one run since they saw the homer twice. I had to break the news to them that replays don't count in the actual score and then I told them that's why I hate them.

Man....I remember when this happened a few years back,
this is a disturbingly (for flubby fans) true story. It was the
"elimination" game against the Braves during the cubs
"historic wildcard champion" season. I was at SportsCorner,
(wearing my Braves hat of course) and I believe the game was 1-0 flubs. Brant Brown had homered earlier, and was up to bat
again. The announcers were mentioning (of course cub fans dont pay attention) that he'd homered in his first at-bat,
and then went to the REPLAY of the hr. The replay shows
the pitcher winding up and brown swinging....the camera goes
to the outfielder ...who is watching it sail over his head....
The Crowd CHeers wildly and yelling....... Im a bit shocked at
what Im seeing, THE ENTIRE BAR CHEERING AS IF IT WAS A LIVE HOMERUN. I turn around Stunned looking at them as if this could be a joke on me or something........THE BAR ERUPTS,
Girls in Abercrombie wear hug, guys HiFive each other, people jump around, the bartenders jump around, the bar is ROARING
and im like......my god, these are indeed the dumbest fans
ive ever ever met in sports. Just then, the "Replay" stops
and Brown takes a practice swing in batters box, and Im LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY at these people, and the Roaring
STOPS replaced by about 3 seconds of Mass and Complete Confusion, as everyone is wondering how Brown tagged home and hifived the players, and is now Batting Again....THEN THERES THE "ADDISON ST MOAN". people begin swearing and cursing at each other and themselves for realizing they were
exposed AS the biggest Buffoons in baseball fandom. I laughed and mocked them. Taunted them and told them to pay attention to the game next time, not just when Sammy bats.
Of course, they were angered (my cubby buddie remembers this part) and werent taking to my taunts nicely. It was Me against 200, but I wasnt fearful. The entire bar chants
"throw him out, throw him out". excellent. Of course
later on i did indeed get thrown out after the game by the jerk bouncers there, but thats another story.

Rocklive99
03-15-2004, 03:17 PM
LOL, sounds like the typical Cubs fan to me Hangar.

Pssh, yesterday my Cub fan cousin (you know the type, the kind that doesn't even watch baseball or know all the rules but was all over it last year in october, until they lost of course) says, "So I heard the Cubs beat the Sox." He knew because he had just come from Church and the priest mentioned it :\

Baby Fisk
03-15-2004, 03:29 PM
The Flubs only seem to win things that are meaningless, like ST games and the hearts of shallow fools.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
it happened to me too at school. i SARCASTICALLY replied "oh yeah, and congrats on winning the 2004 world series." then i said for most teams spring training is to evaulate players, not winning games.

the cub fan replys "well atleast we won the game. cubs 1 sox 0"

i hate cub fans, the next intelligent one i see will be the first.

Dick Allen
03-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Everybody just tell these idiots that their team BARELY beat the Sox triple A team.

owensmouth
03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Best thing I read about that game was the reports of how Ozzie was getting into it with the Cub fans. (choke, choke) It's gonna be fun having a manager that understands the feelings of Sox fans, and supports us.

CubKilla
03-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i heard it a few times then quickly shut them up when i told them that the cubs basically put all their starters out there and used all their best relievers, while some of the best sox best hitters dnp and dan wright along with minor leaugers pitched for us and we barely lost. and oh yeah, it was spring training.

Myself, RPS, and another Sox fan friend of ours mused about the same thing. The Cubs brought out their "A" team..... including SP Zambrano..... which the Sox "C" or so team beat 2-1..... with a SP trying to make the starting rotation..... before a Sox pitcher who won't make the team blew the lead.

Then there was Cotts who still can't seem to find the strike zone despite facing the Cubs minor leaguers.....

SoxBoy14
03-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I was prepared to annoy every cub fan if the Sox won, then when I saw the lineup I realized Ozzie wasn't acting as if it were anything other than a regular ST game so I didn't either.

SoxBoy14
03-15-2004, 05:24 PM
I was really looking forward to a sox victory but when you look at the starting line up it was a disgracefull day for the cubs. We sent out all our young guys and they were throwing their multi-million dollar players back at us. Just goes to show you how much they really suck. The cubs fans must have realized this because nothing was said to me.

Vsahajpal
03-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

That's all that matters to you, doc.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
That's all that matters to you, doc.

Hardly. As I've said over and over I want the Sox to win it all first and foremost.

Don't put words into my mouth, keep your pop-psych to yourself and I'll likewise respect you.

Railsplitter
03-16-2004, 10:24 AM
That's Schlub fans for you. Always making the irrelevant seem important. Al Lopez used to say "Spring training is for getting your mistakes out of the way."

SoxFan76
03-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I love all these stories. They are hysterical. Unfortuanately, I don't have a story that sticks out, but rather the constant things Cub fans do to "insult" me. My favorite is "SOX SUCK!", followed by.....well nothing. That is their insult. Another favorite is "The White....SUX!!!". Gotta love that one. Or the constant bashing of the field, which is actually a very nice place to watch a ballgame, then wetting their pants over that pisshole they call Wrigley. Thinking, without a doubt, that Sosa is the best player in Chicago history, completely forgetting Joe Jackson, Frank Thomas, Luis Aparicio, Minnie Minoso, Magglio, all of which are a million times better than Mr. Corky. Ahhh, Cub fans. They don't even bother me that much anymore. Their stupidity and ignorance never fails to amuse me.