PDA

View Full Version : Call Strike 3! Sox miss out on Golden PR/Marketing Opportunity

Hangar18
03-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Went to the southside irish parade today. Wore lot of SOX stuff and noticed lots of other fellow SOX fans in attendance. Noticed that a bar had a giant box of Green Hats to give away, and they had the Miller Lite Logo on it.........and a BlackHawks logo on the front. Everyone wore the hats around, as they were Free, but I got to thinking, The SOX missed a Golden Opportunity....again

Irishsox1
03-14-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm sure that the green blackhawks hats are going to lead to increased attendence for the blackhawks....Yea, right!

As for exposure this weekend, the Sox were on t.v. and radio Saturday and Sunday. Also, if you want a green Sox hat, go buy one like I did, four years ago.

soxnut
03-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Went to the southside irish parade today. Wore lot of SOX stuff and noticed lots of other fellow SOX fans in attendance. Noticed that a bar had a giant box of Green Hats to give away, and they had the Miller Lite Logo on it.........and a BlackHawks logo on the front. Everyone wore the hats around, as they were Free, but I got to thinking, The SOX missed a Golden Opportunity....again

With all this stuff you spew out here about how the Sox should do this, the Sox should do that...........how many times have you contacted them and asked them about certain marketing things???

Brian26
03-14-2004, 11:37 PM
I just flipped by the replay of the parade on Ch 7.

St. Rita's hats were green with a white "SR" on them....at first I thought they were the green Sox hats from a few years ago.

Hangar18
03-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
...........how many times have you contacted them and asked them about certain marketing things???

They read these boards. So do the "columnists"

soxnut
03-14-2004, 11:43 PM
They read these boards. So do the "columnists"

Ahh, htat's pretty weak. It's almost like you're chicken to actually call/email, talk to someone from the Sox. I do.

kittle42
03-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Ahh, htat's pretty weak. It's almost like you're chicken to actually call/email, talk to someone from the Sox. I do.

I'm sure either method has the same effect - zippo. But I always say kudos for trying - someone has to.

Hangar18
03-14-2004, 11:54 PM

thats not to say I didnt email (though I didnt this time) these ideas, but if YOU didnt email them, and I didnt write about it here, the net effect would be zilch indeed. Im the FIRST in
line when it comes to giving Sox Management Electronic Beat-Downs, and good suggestions.

soxnut
03-14-2004, 11:59 PM
thats not to say I didnt email (though I didnt this time) these ideas, but if YOU didnt email them, and I didnt write about it here, the net effect would be zilch indeed. Im the FIRST in
line when it comes to giving Sox Management Electronic Beat-Downs, and good suggestions.

Well. I've liked your suggestions that you've had on here Hangar, and I'm glad you do contact them directly as well. I guess I somehow I've had the impression that you only did them on here, so, good to hear. :smile:

Frankfan4life
03-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Hangar, you made a very good point. The Sox should have taken advantage of the situation and made some kind of an effort to make their presence felt. It would have generated some much needed exposure and "free" air time.

In the future, I hope they will not miss an opportunity to capitalize on this kind of event and other southside events like the Bud Biliken parade in August. But, I doubt if they will.

The Sox PR Dept. is terrible.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:18 AM
YES. SOX gaffed on this one too. You get your name around, whether thru merchandising or the media, has a Positive Effect.
When I was pretty young, I remember liking the Houston Oilers home jersey alot. I liked it enough to get myself one and wore it around. Then I got curious about the team, turns out they were pretty good, and began watching their games. I ended up becoming a big fan of the team. SOX need to Follow the Headway theyre accomplishing, Despite themselves, in Europe and the UK. IN another thread, its mentioned how the SOX merchandise is all around the country. The SOX should be seeing a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to spread their 'fanbase' Across The Pond, and somehow get their games Televised Regularly over there. Open a White Sox Gift Shop in LONDON.
Make it seem to us and anyone paying attention, that the WhiteSox actually give a Damn about themselves and their very
loyal, very intelligent fans.

Frankfan4life
03-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Having and keeping your name in the press is important. The media is dying for any kind of fluff piece they can find.

I've sent the Sox my suggestions but was completely ignored. The marketing dept. must be full of Jerry's relatives.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 01:50 AM

Those green Hawks hats had nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day. Bill Wirtz simply changed the team's insignia to match his favorite color.

jackbrohamer
03-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
I've sent the Sox my suggestions but was completely ignored. The marketing dept. must be full of Jerry's relatives.

Exactly, the Sox front office doesn't give a rat's a-- about fan suggestions. And after 20 years of ownership you'd think they would realize that the S. Side parade would be a good place for them to try to get good PR without people like us having to tell them.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Exactly, the Sox front office doesn't give a rat's a-- about fan suggestions. And after 20 years of ownership you'd think they would realize that the S. Side parade would be a good place for them to try to get good PR without people like us having to tell them.

Why they never thought of having a WHITE SOX FLOAT,
a treat for their staffers and salespeople, and an opportunity
to Pretend they care, and having it rolling down South Western Ave is beyond me.

santo=dorf
03-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Why they never thought of having a WHITE SOX FLOAT,
a treat for their staffers and salespeople, and an opportunity
to Pretend they care, and having it rolling down South Western Ave is beyond me.

:reinsy

"Did you want to pay for it?"

SoxBoy14
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree that the sox need to get their name out there. The more people we get to become sox fans the more money we get. The more money we get the more good players we can buy. The more good players we buy the more we win the word series. Everything depends on getting a good fan base

ewokpelts
03-16-2004, 01:47 AM

write gallas a letter...or better yet...miller lite
Gene

white sox bill
03-16-2004, 06:15 AM
The Sox colors being Black/Silver/White are neutral colors...they would go with just about any other colors..Sox need to take advantage of this and begin marketing to whatever demographic is buying these