PDA

View Full Version : Olivo Situation

Lip Man 1
03-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Just a guess, but I'd say Jamie Burke has now made the team...

"Sox catcher Miguel Olivo was a late scratch from Saturday's starting lineup because of abdominal pain. Olivo, who several weeks ago suffered kidney stones, was taken to a local hospital and received a pain shot. The Sox said they had no idea when he will be ready to play again."

In another newspaper story this morning, Ozzie was quoted as saying Olivo DOES have kidney stones, will be out at least two weeks and that he doesn't know when he'll be ready to play again because first Olivo has to pass the stones and no one knows when that will happen.

Sandy Alomar Jr. better be ready to tote the load for awhile.

Lip

SoxBoy14
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just a guess, but I'd say Jamie Burke has now made the team...

"Sox catcher Miguel Olivo was a late scratch from Saturday's starting lineup because of abdominal pain. Olivo, who several weeks ago suffered kidney stones, was taken to a local hospital and received a pain shot. The Sox said they had no idea when he will be ready to play again."

In another newspaper story this morning, Ozzie was quoted as saying Olivo DOES have kidney stones, will be out at least two weeks and that he doesn't know when he'll be ready to play again because first Olivo has to pass the stones and no one knows when that will happen.

Sandy Alomar Jr. better be ready to tote the load for awhile.

Lip

Kidney stones?!? Ouch! Hopefully he recovers before the season starts.

HawkDJ
03-14-2004, 12:50 PM
I do believe Ozzie's quote was that he has kidney stones and he could be out anywhere from one day to two weeks.

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
I do believe Ozzie's quote was that he has kidney stones and he could be out anywhere from one day to two weeks.

That's what I read as well. I think they're reading into it too much. The article also mentioned that he was given a shot for the pain, so even if he doesn't pass the stones, he may still be well enough to play. Kidney stones are a b**** though...especially for men...

Foulke You
03-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Poor Miguel. He has had a rough year as far as his health. He just got over a bout of Viral Pneumonia over the offseason and now this? Hopefully Sandy is ready to go because we don't have a lot of depth at catcher. Although, Burke showed he could hit a little bit last year when he was up...don't know too much about his defensive ablility.

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Poor Miguel. He has had a rough year as far as his health. He just got over a bout of Viral Pneumonia over the offseason and now this? Hopefully Sandy is ready to go because we don't have a lot of depth at catcher. Although, Burke showed he could hit a little bit last year when he was up...don't know too much about his defensive ablility.

I have a feeling they might bring burke along as a third catcher....MAYBE. He also plays third, which they had him do a few days ago...utility catcher maybe?

owensmouth
03-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Per John and Ed just now: Olivo is feeling much better. He passed one of the stones yesterday. The other is still in his kidney and not bothering him much.

SoxxoS
03-14-2004, 02:57 PM
I heard passing kidney stones is one of the most painful things a human can experience...but when you do pass it, it must be the best feeling ever.

SoxBoy14
03-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I heard passing kidney stones is one of the most painful things a human can experience...but when you do pass it, it must be the best feeling ever.

I just pray I never have to go through that pain.

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Per John and Ed just now: Olivo is feeling much better. He passed one of the stones yesterday. The other is still in his kidney and not bothering him much.

Awesome...I was just thinking, we probably would have won yesterday if Olivo had been in there. There was that one pickoff throw to second on a steal that flew out into center. If that had been Olivo, the guy was done. He's the one that scored the winning run if I remember correctly...too bad...

duke of dorwood
03-14-2004, 05:57 PM
I think Burke was gonna make it anyway. We have no experienced depth. He can, at least, play third in a pinch.

Chisox_cali
03-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Pain free: Miguel Olivo was out of the lineup Sunday but could be back in action Monday after dealing with kidney stones Saturday. Olivo reported that he felt better but was still a little run down after experiencing the intense pain before Saturday's game against the Cubs in Mesa.

"I didn't see it, but they said I passed it yesterday," said Olivo of the kidney stone. "The doctor said I had another one, but they gave me a couple of shots and made me sleep a little bit. I feel fine today."

Lip Man 1
03-14-2004, 10:05 PM
True story....a guy who did the sports on the other station in Monroe started to pass a stone on air while he was doing his show. It was unbelieveable. He was sweating and in such pain that finally they went to a commercial so he could leave for the hospital. The news guy finished up.

He was a jerk but I did have a great deal of sympathy for him at that moment.

Lip

Chisox_cali
03-14-2004, 10:10 PM
I love when Kramer passed his kidney stones in Seinfeld :D:

MarkEdward
03-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I love when Kramer passed his kidney stones in Seinfeld :D:

KRAMER: I got a stone.

JERRY: What stone?

KRAMER: A kidney stone.

JERRY: What is that, anyway?

KRAMER: It's a, it's a stony mineral concretion, formed abnormally in the kidney. And this jagged shard of calcium pushes its way through the ureter into the bladder. It's forced out through the urine!

JERRY: Oh, that's gotta hurt.

Maximo
03-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I got em so bad one time......I had to have them extracted.

Told my wife if I ever get to that stage again........just shoot me.
Actually thinking about going to an attorney to put it in writing, so that she'll be absolved of all blame.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Maybe this is the post that moves this thread to the Parking Lot, but, if you want to avoid kidney stones, DRINK LOTS OF WATER! I drink at least 128 ounces daily.

Perhaps Olivo needs to drink more water. (There, I brought it back to the Sox.)

Maximo
03-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Maybe this is the post that moves this thread to the Parking Lot, but, if you want to avoid kidney stones, DRINK LOTS OF WATER! I drink at least 128 ounces daily.

Perhaps Olivo needs to drink more water. (There, I brought it back to the Sox.)

Have to be careful with water, unless it comes from a bottle. A lot of city water systems contain a high concentration of flouride which assists in building calcium deposits in the body.

Cranberry juice is one of the liquids that seems to reduce the probability of kidney stones.

Mickster
03-15-2004, 09:59 AM
As of this morning, he apparently pushed 2 stones, should be back in the lineup in 2 days.

If this is correct, Olivo is a macho man!

Realist
03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
I got em so bad one time......I had to have them extracted.

Told my wife if I ever get to that stage again........just shoot me.
Actually thinking about going to an attorney to put it in writing, so that she'll be absolved of all blame.

Don't they just ultrasound those suckers away now?

Maximo
03-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Realist

yep....at least that's the preferable option.

Rex Hudler
03-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

And never stray more than 50 feet from a bathroom!

mealfred13
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Realist

Kinda. They put you in a bathtub full of water and sonically crush them with heavy vibration. MY mom and sister have had this done several times, and they don't come home all happy and vibrant, I can tell you that much. They usually sleep the whole day and have trouble walking around without alot of pain. THEN you get to wait while you pass the stones for the next few days...

I think Olivo got lucky, and they weren't that big, so he didn't need to have them crushed. Good to hear he's doing well though.