PDA

View Full Version : Rowand gets the picture

chisoxjk
03-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox141.html) has a good article this morning on Rowand and how he figured out one of the problems he was having early last year.

His stance completely changed after his accident, which he did not realize until a fan sent him an old baseball card with a picture of him in his old stance.

The article also has some good comments by and about Greg Walker. Maybe it's just spring optimism, but I think that Rowand is going to have a breakout year this year. Because of Greg Walker, I also don't see them having their usual horrible hitting start they tend to have every April.

ondafarm
03-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I have to admit my opinion of Rowand has changed for the better. While I still think getting yourself injured in a dirt bike accident is stupid, he has obviously worked real hard, refocused his efforts, revised his attitude and come back as a decent CF. His hitting should be 270s with a modicum of pop. On this team, pop is one think I'm not worried about. OBP is a worry.

He may fit in as a good #2 hitter, but definately has a spot.

soxtalker
03-14-2004, 09:35 AM
One of the areas of concern noted by Rowand's many detractors on this board was that his defense left much to be desired. If I remember correctly, they pointed out that he had a tendency to misjudge balls, as well as break too late or in the wrong direction. That could lead to what appeared to be spectacular catches. Has anyone been able to see a change in this aspect of his game?

rmusacch
03-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
One of the areas of concern noted by Rowand's many detractors on this board was that his defense left much to be desired. If I remember correctly, they pointed out that he had a tendency to misjudge balls, as well as break too late or in the wrong direction. That could lead to what appeared to be spectacular catches. Has anyone been able to see a change in this aspect of his game?

Who cares, as long as he makes the catch?

chisoxjk
03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Who cares, as long as he makes the catch?

Because if you turn routine catches into spectacular catches, you will never make the truly spectacular catches of balls in the gaps.

joecrede
03-14-2004, 11:16 AM
BY defensive statistical measures, Rowand was among the best CF'ers in the A.L. last year. Even if you don't trust defensive statistics there wasn't much visual evidence to dispute that. He made all the plays.

I don't think he'll ever be better offensively than what he showed last year and he probably won't be that good over a full season, even so with his defensive abillity that's enough to be an adequate CF'er.

Williams deserves kudos for having the foresight to convert him to a CF'er thus making him a useful player. His next project should be turning Marte in to a starter. :D:

MisterB
03-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ondafarm
On this team, pop is one think I'm not worried about. OBP is a worry.

Regarding OBP, keep this line in mind:

Then there was a teamwide strategy to be patient at the plate, taking away his aggressive nature.

Looks like improving plate discipline ain't gonna happen with 'new and improved' Crash.

WSox8404
03-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Rowand is going to hit over .300 this year. Somewhere in the low, low 3's.

MisterB
03-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Rowand is going to hit over .300 this year. Somewhere in the low, low 3's.

That's a weak looking limb you're on there. Rowand has never hit .300 over a whole season at any level (or combination of levels) before, and he's suddenly going to do it in the majors? If he's given a full season of playing time, he hits .275 tops.

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404

Took the words out of my mouth... I'm also going to play devil's advocate here and say that Rowand will hit in the upper .290s to the low .300s. As far as I recall, he's never been given a chance to play a full season as a starter, and last year, when given a chance to hit for a stretch, he always seemed to be on a hot streak...

*edit* spelling

ode to veeck
03-14-2004, 01:07 PM
ahhh, the sweet optimistic senitiments of spring, following the winter of discontent ...

RichFitztightly
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

I don't know, it's worked for Jim Edmonds

SoxBoy14
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
This may sound crazy but I predict Rowand is going to hit over .300 and hit at least 20 homeruns. I know he isn't much of a power hitter, but all the extra work he's been doing on his swing will get him more hits. I think he'll hold his starting job the whole season too. That might be saying something but why start the season thinking negative of our starting players?

MRKARNO
03-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
This may sound crazy but I predict Rowand is going to hit over .300 and hit at least 20 homeruns. I know he isn't much of a power hitter, but all the extra work he's been doing on his swing will get him more hits. I think he'll hold his starting job the whole season too. That might be saying something but why start the season thinking negative of our starting players?

Agreed. I would be dissapointed if he failed to hit .280 or 15 homers. He can flat out hit and he's proven that he can since he recovered from the injury.

batmanZoSo
03-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Agreed. I would be dissapointed if he failed to hit .280 or 15 homers. He can flat out hit and he's proven that he can since he recovered from the injury.

My prediction: .280 17 61

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14

Tho only bad thing is that the guy is HUGE. I'd like to think he can crank out the homeruns with the best of them, but I don't know that that's the case. Not sure why considering his size, but we'll see how he does come April...

RedPinStripes
03-14-2004, 10:32 PM
This is what happens when Sox fans are over anxious for opening day.

Randar68
03-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by mealfred13
Tho only bad thing is that the guy is HUGE. I'd like to think he can crank out the homeruns with the best of them, but I don't know that that's the case. Not sure why considering his size, but we'll see how he does come April...

If Rowand hits 20 HR's, he's going to strike out 150 times and be lucky to hit .270

hold2dibber
03-15-2004, 09:29 AM
My prediction if he is the starter for the whole year:

.258 avg.
.318 OBP
.745 OPS
14 HRs
63 RBIs

Which isn't very good, but isn't terrible. He's decent enough that he won't be the problem - the lack of a leadoff hitter and the paper-thin starting rotation are what have me worried.

SSN721
03-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Boy, everybody must not be up yet. The usual vicious arguments over the merits of Rowands ability have not occured yet, I will have to check this thread in the afternoon again, sure there will be much hearty debate by then. :D: I still stand by my opinion that Rowand is at least a somewhat adequate fielder (with limited range) and someone I can easily see hitting .275 or higher this season. At least that is what I hope. :D:

poorme
03-15-2004, 10:04 AM
He is huge. I would've guessed steroids had they not had the testing this year.

Nick@Nite
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
ahhh, the sweet optimistic senitiments of spring, following the winter of discontent ...

Damn... I wish I had said that! :D:

Oh btw, ARow... .275, 19 taters, 78 rbi's.