PDA

View Full Version : Sox fandom in London

MRKARNO
03-14-2004, 07:06 AM
I just got back from London yesterday and I was really surprised at the level of White Sox stuff I saw all around the city. I caught multiple people wearing White Sox hats while walking around. Often times, the vendors on the street who sold any MLB hats had White Sox hats alongside the Yankee hats. Harrods, the store which sells practically everything, sells the regular and Retro White sox jersey, the latter of which I bought because it was reasonably priced and I really wanted it.
One thing I didnt notice was any Cub apparel whatsoever. The White Sox seem to be 3rd to the Yankees and Red Sox in terms of popularity in London.
UK Sox fans, does this seem consistant with what you have experienced or do experience in London? or did I just happen to subconsciencely ignore all of the non-White Sox apparel I saw on the street?

Railsplitter
03-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Not much of a surprise. I watch the 6 a.m. showing of the BBC World News on Channel 20 and the Sox do pop up on there occasionally.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Well, I'm glad to see White Sox Interactive's partnership with The Electronic Arsenal Fanzine and the Bank of Friendship pub in North London is paying dividends.

Oh, to be Gooner!

:)

SoxEd
03-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Not to put a damper on your interpretation, but I suspect that many of the people you saw wearing the gear are actually just rap fans.
Of course, as PHG says, perhaps the tie-in with the totally biased Gooner website has paid off and converted some Londoners to Chicago baseball - I hope so!

Up here in the Midlands, the only person I ever saw wearing Sox gear was basically unaware of the existence of the team, he was just a teenager wearing the Home Jersey because some rapper wore it in a video. (I don't know who, as it isn't my thing musically)

Loads of kids in Stafford seem to have NYY hats, and at the moment they are the only team whose hats you can buy here - on the bright side at least there's no Cubs stuff.

When the regular season starts up again I'll check out the Sports stores to see which teams' hats they carry once the games are back on UK TV.
I suspect it will be NYY only (due to the fashion thing) with a possibly of one or both Sox, but I'll let you know.

Once the season starts again I may be asking for people from this site to help me proselytise on the Channel Five baseball message board :D:

Hopefully that should increase the number of Sox fans in rainy old England!

Hangar18
03-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by SoxEd

Once the season starts again I may be asking for people from this site to help me proselytise on the Channel Five baseball message board :D:

Hopefully that should increase the number of Sox fans in rainy old England!

Ed, it is your job to spread to good word in Mother England.
The more SOX fans in England, the more we'll know it was because of the Message being spread ...........

PaleHoseGeorge
03-14-2004, 10:07 AM
....Loads of kids in Stafford seem to have NYY hats, and at the moment they are the only team whose hats you can buy here - on the bright side at least there's no Cubs stuff....

There may be more to this. The Yankees and Moan United have signed a co-merchandising agreement. The ManUre soccer games and highlight shows are routinely shown on the Yankees' YES cable TV channel and I believe ManUre merchandise is sold outside Yankee Stadium, too.

The Sox ought to sign a similar deal with Arsenal. They would be following WSI's lead. Who would be surprised? :smile:

Jjav829
03-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Not to put a damper on your interpretation, but I suspect that many of the people you saw wearing the gear are actually just rap fans.
Of course, as PHG says, perhaps the tie-in with the totally biased Gooner website has paid off and converted some Londoners to Chicago baseball - I hope so!

Up here in the Midlands, the only person I ever saw wearing Sox gear was basically unaware of the existence of the team, he was just a teenager wearing the Home Jersey because some rapper wore it in a video. (I don't know who, as it isn't my thing musically)

Loads of kids in Stafford seem to have NYY hats, and at the moment they are the only team whose hats you can buy here - on the bright side at least there's no Cubs stuff.

I think you're probably right on this. There is some rapper who wears a red pinstripe Sox jersey on the cover of his CD. I want to say his name is "Fabulous". I used to see this on damn near every Sunday night football game. They would play the ad for him and they would always show the picture though I believe the Sox part of the jersey is partially covered up.

MRKARNO
03-14-2004, 10:46 AM
With the present/pending influx of Chicago rap/R & B artists on the charts, I think we will start to see more White Sox apparel citywide, countrywide and even worldwide as people try to emulate these artists. The majority of these rappers and R&B singers are probably sox fans because they more likely than not grew up on the South Side. We saw it last year with the White Sox retro jersey becoming one of the most popular jerseys on the market.
The question is whether or not this translates into more support for the White Sox. My guess is that it would and could possibly be the route in which the White Sox become a popular team. It will be quite interesting to see if rap/R&B fans will begin to become Sox fans because their favorite artists are sox fans.

SouthSideHitman
03-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
There may be more to this. The Yankees and Moan United have signed a co-merchandising agreement. The ManUre soccer games and highlight shows are routinely shown on the Yankees' YES cable TV channel and I believe ManUre merchandise is sold outside Yankee Stadium, too.

The Sox ought to sign a similar deal with Arsenal. They would be following WSI's lead. Who would be surprised? :smile:

That would be awesome and unusually savvy for JR. Although I've never really followed soccer, especially English, I have a soft spot for Arsenal. Besides the WSI connection, they are featured in the Nick Hornby book, Fever Pitch. The book is Hornby's autobiography as seen through his love of soccer, specifically Arsenal. I loved this book because he shows the true devotion of a fan of a mediocre, team playing second-banana, in a big market, which I could really realate to. Plus Nick Hornby is awesome.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I just got back from London yesterday and I was really surprised at the level of White Sox stuff I saw all around the city. I caught multiple people wearing White Sox hats while walking around. Often times, the vendors on the street who sold any MLB hats had White Sox hats alongside the Yankee hats. Harrods, the store which sells practically everything, sells the regular and Retro White sox jersey, the latter of which I bought because it was reasonably priced and I really wanted it.
One thing I didnt notice was any Cub apparel whatsoever. The White Sox seem to be 3rd to the Yankees and Red Sox in terms of popularity in London.

The White Sox really really need to capitalize on this. And Im very serious about this. This team may end up having to move to friggin London if that other team takes advantage of the Leagues scheduling generosity as well as lack of real revenue sharing, allowing itself to simply acquire players as easily as shopping for a gallon of milk

uksoxfan
03-15-2004, 01:03 AM
In my experience I'd say clothing featuring the Sox logo can be seen quite often around the UK & is probably 2nd only to the dreaded NY caps that seem to be worn by every 2nd person these days.

IMO this is due to the Sox logo being pretty cool & therefore popular with the younger generation. The Rap connection would also explain this too.

I'm doing my bit for the cause as when I go to watch my soccer team I wear my Sox gamecap, although with both the Sox & NUFC playing in black & white helps. There are certainly plenty of people who know me that are aware of the Sox these days.

Cheers...... :gulp:

Irishsoxfan
03-15-2004, 01:55 AM

That would be so cool, as I am Sox and Arsenal.
I do my bit for the Sox here by making my baseball team wear white sox gear as our jersey. We are the best damn looking team in the league.

Vsahajpal
03-15-2004, 06:30 AM
This would be a beautiful thing as it'd certainly help cover part of the massive Ashburton Grove Project.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by uksoxfan

I'm doing my bit for the cause as when I go to watch my soccer team I wear my Sox gamecap, although with both the Sox & NUFC playing in black & white helps. There are certainly plenty of people who know me that are aware of the Sox these days.

Bless your heart

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:02 PM
IrishSoxFan and SoxEd, Cheers for spreading the "gospel"
that is South Side Baseball :gulp:

A.T. Money
03-15-2004, 12:16 PM
I saw another video where P. Diddy was wearing a 1959 leather White Sox jacket. It looked sweet.

brewcrew/chisox
03-16-2004, 06:35 PM

The Sox should NEVER, EVER, EVER sign a deal with Arsenal, as it would be equivalent to signing a deal with the devil.

Come on you Spurs!!!!

minastirith67
03-16-2004, 07:00 PM
I think I might stop being a Sox fan if they signed a deal with the Arse. Seriously. At the very least I would stop going to games to support the teams. I'm no Spurs fan but they are definitely the rightful club in London, so **** Arsenal.

Vsahajpal
03-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Lmao, them spurs are irrelevant! Nice choke-job in the Cup to Mancs, lol.

Drink together in praise of the AFC
Fulham can stay at the Cottage
Southampton can stay at the Dell
And as for Tottenham hotspur
They can go to hell, to hell
So we'll drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC
Drink, drink together
In praise of the AFC

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

monkeypants
03-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Hate to piss on the parade but the only reason kids in the UK are wearing Sox clothes is because it looks good and they want to emulate a few hip hop stars.
This is the same nation were I saw sporting goods stores trying to pass off softball bats as baseball bats. They really aren't that interested in the American past time. I'm an anglophile but I don't kid myself into thinking that just because some Sox stuff shows up on the streets of London, Manchester or Birmingham that they are serious Sox or even baseball fans.
On the other hand, if the Sox were smart (yeah right) they would try to market themselves internationally into other markets like the Mariners in Japan and the Yankees in Britain. I hate Arsenal like a good Spurs fan should but I wouldn't mind seeing a partnership between them and the Sox like the Yankees and United have. My love of the Sox takes precedence over my hatred of all other teams.

We are Tottenham, We are Tottenham, Super Tottenham, from the Lane!

SSN721
03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Since I have no love for any specific soccer teams in the UK (own a Leeds United because I like the look of it) I would say anyway that we can market the Sox internationally is a plus. I mean how many people who buy Man U jerseys in front of Yankee Stadium are real soccer fans? If the money goes to the team who cares, I would just love to see the Sox do anything creative to market themselves. If people just wore the throwback unis and caps in other countries for looks it doesnt matter to me, would just be nice to get some kind of international recognition. I think it only adds to the reputation of the team and the city.

harwar
03-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I agree that its just a merchandising trend over there.I've been going to europe off & on since the early 80s'.
I remember the cowboy chic trend that swept this country and the ensuing western wear that popped up over there as a result.
It was great fun being an american sailor in places like norway,holland(bulldog),& the UK back then when everyone(outside of Paris)seemed to love us.
Alas,its sure not that way anymore.

SoxEd
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
On the International Marketing front, the Sox really have got their work cut out - I was in my local Library at lunchtime a couple of days ago, and saw a Tourist Guide to Chicago on a stand, so decided to check out what it had to say about Baseball.

The first paragraph was about how Chicago had the worst history of any MLB city, and went on about the 'Black Sox' scandal of 1919, repeating the 'Say it ain't so, Joe' incident, but curiously didn't say anything about when the last Cubs WS win was.

Then there were two paragraphs about the 'perenially pennant chasing' Cubs, how lovable they are for always losing, how great (and noble) some of their former players were, how they had a famous (and, implicitly, ongoing) line of MVP second baggers, and how great Wrigley is etc etc etc, so how can you resist going there?
Then some guff about how they play mostly day games (because of the locals being pissy about the floodlights), and how that's how baseball should be played anyway.
Then there was some stuff about how great Wrigleyville is for tourists.
Then there was the address of the Cubs, how to get there, and their ticket office no.

Then, fianlly, there was all of one paragraph about where Comiskey is, and how to get there, and a sentence about how 'new Comiskey' was built specifically to prevent the franchise leaving town, followed by the Ticketmaster number, and then the Sox box office no.

It gets worse - in the 'Guide to the City' bit of the book, it goes into some detail about all the attractions in Wrigleyville, and how pleasant it is etc, plus another namecheck for the Cubs.

For the Southside, and Bridgeport in particular, it said that 'it's pretty nasty' (or words to that effect), and that the locals are particularly unwelcoming to outsiders.

Whilst this may be true (and, as a foreigner, how would I know anything else?), it didn't IMO present a 'Fair and Balanced' picture of the two teams.

This is an American book, not a British one, and its publication date is 1998. Hopefully the content has been changed since then.

I didn't check who the publisher was, but from the content I've gotta hope it's a Trib subsidiary - beacuse if neutral firms are feeding this stuff down the throats of us foreigners, then the Pale Hose are by no means going to have an easy ride marketing themselves abroad. I don't think I've ever sen anything so one-sided, particularly in a guide to promote the whole City. Sheesh!

Hangar18
03-17-2004, 05:03 PM
On the International Marketing front, the Sox really have got their work cut out - I was in my local Library at lunchtime a couple of days ago, and saw a Tourist Guide to Chicago on a stand, so decided to check out what it had to say about Baseball.

The first paragraph was about how Chicago had the worst history of any MLB city, and went on about the 'Black Sox' scandal of 1919, repeating the 'Say it ain't so, Joe' incident, but curiously didn't say anything about when the last Cubs WS win was.

Then there were two paragraphs about the 'perenially pennant chasing' Cubs, how lovable they are for always losing, how great (and noble) some of their former players were, how they had a famous (and, implicitly, ongoing) line of MVP second baggers, and how great Wrigley is etc etc etc, so how can you resist going there?
Then some guff about how they play mostly day games (because of the locals being pissy about the floodlights), and how that's how baseball should be played anyway.
Then there was some stuff about how great Wrigleyville is for tourists.
Then there was the address of the Cubs, how to get there, and their ticket office no.

Then, fianlly, there was all of one paragraph about where Comiskey is, and how to get there, and a sentence about how 'new Comiskey' was built specifically to prevent the franchise leaving town, followed by the Ticketmaster number, and then the Sox box office no.

It gets worse - in the 'Guide to the City' bit of the book, it goes into some detail about all the attractions in Wrigleyville, and how pleasant it is etc, plus another namecheck for the Cubs.

For the Southside, and Bridgeport in particular, it said that 'it's pretty nasty' (or words to that effect), and that the locals are particularly unwelcoming to outsiders.

Whilst this may be true (and, as a foreigner, how would I know anything else?), it didn't IMO present a 'Fair and Balanced' picture of the two teams.

This is an American book, not a British one, and its publication date is 1998. Hopefully the content has been changed since then.

I didn't check who the publisher was, but from the content I've gotta hope it's a Trib subsidiary - beacuse if neutral firms are feeding this stuff down the throats of us foreigners, then the Pale Hose are by no means going to have an easy ride marketing themselves abroad. I don't think I've ever sen anything so one-sided, particularly in a guide to promote the whole City. Sheesh!

That is DISTURBING. Its BS like this that makes me HATE that other team up North with a Passion. And we wonder why tourists flock to the Urinal? because of the Media, Print and Otherwise. What a bunch of BullJive

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I went on vacation to London last summer and i did see a few people with sox stuff. I made sure i wore my sox hat and t shirts as much as i could

BackInBlack
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
You guys would not believe how much White Sox gear I see out here in New York City. The Yankees are No. 1, the Mets, surprisingly aren't too far behind. No. 3 is NOT the Boston Red Sox. No. 3 is EASY = The CHICAGO WHITE SOX. The Sox have always had the most bad-ass uniforms and merchandise in the league and I'm proud to be a part of it.