PDA

View Full Version : New renovation pics r up

lths06
03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
New renovation pics are up on www.whitesox.com
I love the Sox logo on the ends of the canopy :cool:

SoxBoy14
03-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm glad they tore down the nosebleed seats. No one ever sits in them for longer than a minute until they look for open lower seats. Tearing them down saves money, which makes Uncle Jerry Happy.

Brian26
03-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Very, very nice touch with the Sox logo being placed on the facade in the right and left field corners. That's very classy looking. I love that.

It appears they are installing the roof and painting the steel. Notice the seats below have the blue tarps on them to protect them.

Also, in the one shot, they have a white tarp basically hanging down from the facade of the roof to the seats. This gives a really good indication of how many seats will be covered by the roof, and it does appear that 2/3 or slightly more of the upper deck will be covered.

The place looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in person when it's finished.

batmanZoSo
03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Very, very nice touch with the Sox logo being placed on the facade in the right and left field corners. That's very classy looking. I love that.

It appears they are installing the roof and painting the steel. Notice the seats below have the blue tarps on them to protect them.

Also, in the one shot, they have a white tarp basically hanging down from the facade of the roof to the seats. This gives a really good indication of how many seats will be covered by the roof, and it does appear that 2/3 or slightly more of the upper deck will be covered.

The place looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in person when it's finished.

According to the info on the site under the US Cell link, only 8 rows will be uncovered. I saw some digital renderings there, but I can't find anything all you guys are talking about, namely where you can see some Sox logo on the upper deck somewhere.

On the homepage, there's nothing but the link "US Cellular Topped Out" and it doesn't show anything structural...just the ceremonies and crap. Can one of you send me a link?

soltrain21
03-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Click on that and when the window opens go to March 8.

kittle545feet
03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
is anyone else as excited about seeing the renovations as me? so far, the park looks awesome! and with the artists drawing of the homerun porch in right for next year, it looks like its gonna be beautiful. having said all that, i don't care if we're playing in the taj mahal, if we don't win, it will do nothing for me! :nocubs

hsnterprize
03-14-2004, 12:21 PM
I ride past the ballpark every day on the train, and it's getting more and more beautiful everytime I see it. Even from a distance, you can tell our favorite ballpark is looking more and more like what it probably should've looked like in the first place. Kudos to the Sox for the work. The SOX logos at the ends of the UD facade is a great touch. Now...as other posters have said...put a team worthy of the great work on the field, and the "Cell" will appeal more to casual fans rather than just the die hards.

soxnut
03-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by kittle545feet
is anyone else as excited about seeing the renovations as me? so far, the park looks awesome! and with the artists drawing of the homerun porch in right for next year, it looks like its gonna be beautiful. having said all that, i don't care if we're playing in the taj mahal, if we don't win, it will do nothing for me! :nocubs

Just remember, that drawing you saw is an old one. I doubt it will look that similar to The Ballpark in Arlington porch.(considering the rest of what was in the drawing has changed) The picture that Hangar has had on this site is probably more how it will look. Either way, it should be really cool.

I think the ballpark will be considered one of the best in MLB. It will be very unique. It's almost and "ugly duckling into a beautiful swan" type of story. :smile:

batmanZoSo
03-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Just remember, that drawing you saw is an old one. I doubt it will look that similar to The Ballpark in Arlington porch.(considering the rest of what was in the drawing has changed) The picture that Hangar has had on this site is probably more how it will look. Either way, it should be really cool.

I think the ballpark will be considered one of the best in MLB. It will be very unique. It's almost and "ugly duckling into a beautiful swan" type of story. :smile:

If you really look at it, the main bowl of the Cell is a spitting image of the Ballpark in Arlington. Their middle tier is a few rows bigger and the seats are green, but the upper deck is now about the exact same size and the roofs are very similar with the ornamental steel hanging down from the front. If we get that same pole-supported, roof covered porch it would be bad. And in right their upper deck curves around by the pole much like ours does. I think we should put a cantilever deck in left, no poles, or maybe poles high up the stands like in the upper deck now. We want to have a great ballpark that's distinctive, not a copy cat.

phaedrus
03-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Anyone think of a good reason they would be hanging that white tarp back there? Looks like they're going to enclose the whole area in the UD behind the plate with it - front and sides. Any ideas or insight?

SoxBoy14
03-14-2004, 04:32 PM
The annoying thing is our stadium could be made out of gold and the flub fans will still think their precious ivy and score board make them the dominant stadium.

batmanZoSo
03-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by phaedrus
Anyone think of a good reason they would be hanging that white tarp back there? Looks like they're going to enclose the whole area in the UD behind the plate with it - front and sides. Any ideas or insight?

They're testing for mid week day games when the attendance will be low. They'll just hang sheets from the roof to block off the empty seats!

Realist
03-14-2004, 06:04 PM
I think the possitive effect this new roof will have on the experience of attending a White Sox game will be much more dramatic than any of us are anticipating.

It's gonna sound much better and feel much more intimate than ever before, and I already loved the park BEFORE this last wave of renovations. :smile:

Realist
03-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Take a look at the far left 4 sections of the upper deck [5 sections if you count that little sliver of seats in the far left hand corner] in the picture I attached. I think the Sox could quite cheaply put bleachers there, sell the tix for $10 a game, $5 on Mondays and Pepsi Tuesdays, allow smoking [even cigar smoking], and let the beer flow flow flow. That would be a hot destination for many Sox fans.

On the opposite end of the field, make the same area family friendly. Have $1 hot dogs, maybe make a few rows of picnic tables, visits from former Sox players and Willie Wonka, balloon animals, local celebrities [or even balloon animals of local celebrities for that matter]. I better shut up now because if they implemented any of these ideas I might be inclined to change my seats to the UD.

batmanZoSo
03-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Or they could just cut the last 4 sections off all together, including the stadium club area and then add 4 sections to the left side and put a new stadium club type deal under it. I think it would like nice if the upper deck stopped where the middle tier ends because it would take away the curviness.

nasox
03-14-2004, 07:53 PM
If you look at the park behind home plate, the "home of the 2003 allstar game" lettering is still there? Will they ever take this down? Any info?
I think they should add something without the allstar game part. I like how the lettering there looks

anewman35
03-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by nasox
If you look at the park behind home plate, the "home of the 2003 allstar game" lettering is still there? Will they ever take this down? Any info?
I think they should add something without the allstar game part. I like how the lettering there looks

I'm sure they will. Based on the construction pictures from the past few years, they seem to do all the signs and billboards at the very last minute...

soxnut
03-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
If you really look at it, the main bowl of the Cell is a spitting image of the Ballpark in Arlington. Their middle tier is a few rows bigger and the seats are green, but the upper deck is now about the exact same size and the roofs are very similar with the ornamental steel hanging down from the front. If we get that same pole-supported, roof covered porch it would be bad. And in right their upper deck curves around by the pole much like ours does. I think we should put a cantilever deck in left, no poles, or maybe poles high up the stands like in the upper deck now. We want to have a great ballpark that's distinctive, not a copy cat.

You musn't have seen the picture the rendering that was posted here with the proposed phase v completed. The way that porch is done is different. And with a portion of the building that would be coming in to the park from the lf corner, and the fan deck, and the tiers of the bullpen sportsbar, it will be different. Also, the roof with the facade is more like old Yankee Stadium, which is probably where HOK got the idea for the Ballpark.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Take a look at the far left 4 sections of the upper deck in the picture I attached. I think the Sox could quite cheeply put bleachers there, sell the tix for $10 a game, $5 on Mondays and Pepsi Tuesdays, allow smoking [even cigar smoking], and let the beer flow flow flow. That would be a hot destination for many Sox fans.

On the opposite end of the field, make the same area family friendly. Have $1 hot dogs, maybe make a few rows of picnic tables, visits from former Sox players and Willie Wonka, balloon animals, local celebreties [or even balloon animals of local celebreties for that matter]. I better shut up now because if they implemented any of these ideas I might be inclined to change my seats to the UD.

Those are great ideas! Put them on paper and send them to the Sox.

I've often wondered why the Sox don't do something to add value or a reason to sit in the upper deck. Make the concessions 10-20% less than the lower.

I love your idea of the smoking/cigar smoking section, even though I don't smoke.

Realist
03-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Those are great ideas! Put them on paper and send them to the Sox.

I've often wondered why the Sox don't do something to add value or a reason to sit in the upper deck. Make the concessions 10-20% less than the lower.

I love your idea of the smoking/cigar smoking section, even though I don't smoke.

Thanks. I gotta couple of "ins" with the White Sox and I should probably put together an extensive list of ideas, pull a string and see that they end up on Uncle Jerry's desk. :smile:

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 02:01 AM
You musn't have seen the picture the rendering that was posted here with the proposed phase v completed. The way that porch is done is different. And with a portion of the building that would be coming in to the park from the lf corner, and the fan deck, and the tiers of the bullpen sportsbar, it will be different. Also, the roof with the facade is more like old Yankee Stadium, which is probably where HOK got the idea for the Ballpark.

Both the hand drawn and computer generated renderings looked like Texas.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that they put whatever deck in left. The ultimate makeover would be to open the park and release the indellible constraints of the billboards. And you can't open up the left field view to the expressway and the RTH complex. So you have to put the deck in left. And that building they're putting up is also a grand entrance, right? If so, why would you put that in left field where no one enters the place?

pinwheels3530
03-15-2004, 03:11 AM
Can Hanger or someone else post pictures of the recent drawings of the home run porch, I ve never seen them. I also don't think the sox are copying the texas park, their just going back to the old comiskey look with the hr porch. The sox were the originals in that design.

Realist
03-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Can Hanger or someone else post pictures of the recent drawings of the home run porch, I ve never seen them. I also don't think the sox are copying the texas park, their just going back to the old comiskey look with the hr porch. The sox were the originals in that design.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=329467

http://www.projectballpark.org/future/cellular.html

anewman35
03-15-2004, 07:58 AM
And that building they're putting up is also a grand entrance, right? If so, why would you put that in left field where no one enters the place?

Everybody coming from the El station, which I think is a lot of people, or people who parked on the other side of the Dan Ryan would be coming in that entrance.

pinwheels3530
03-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Thank you, Realist this drawings look great! I think the only thing they need to do is add flags with the retired numbers of former sox palyers on top of the hr porch, but knowing jr he'll put some advertising on there. Green seats.............like old comiskey!!!!

jabrch
03-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks. I gotta couple of "ins" with the White Sox and I should probably put together an extensive list of ideas, pull a string and see that they end up on Uncle Jerry's desk. :smile:

While you are at it - get us 2 more SPs. I am thinking guys like Pettite and Vazquez would fit the bill!

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Everybody coming from the El station, which I think is a lot of people, or people who parked on the other side of the Dan Ryan would be coming in that entrance.

That's a very small percentage of people.

anewman35
03-15-2004, 02:56 PM
That's a very small percentage of people.

Do you know that for sure? Always seems like I see huge crowds of people walking over the 35th St. Bridge.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=329467

http://www.projectballpark.org/future/cellular.html

The first link is pretty indeterminate. You can't make out any details. And the second one only shows this year's renovations. All I know is the hand drawn one that was posted here is a spitting image of Texas, there's no arguing that.

BeerHandle
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm excited about the renovations, opening day and Frank going deep in the Flubs-Sox Series!

soxnut
03-15-2004, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by batmanZoSo
[B].

. And you can't open up the left field view to the expressway and the RTH complex. So you have to put the deck in left.

Have you even been to the area at all lately?? The RTH complex..........DOES NOT EXIST!!!!!(except for one building that will be down or in process by the time around the time phase V is completed. And what they are going to put up over there, is going to look great. I wish I could get to the page of the website that shows those renderings so I could post a link here.

But, my freaking comupter seem to be jacked up right now. So anyone interested in what it is going to look like, should go to som.com and look at their residential projects. So , they don't have to put something up in left field to try and block what's not there anymore. I'm sure that's probably why the billboards were created in the first place, but there is no reason anymore to block lf. As for putting it up a porch in lf instead, yeah that would make it different than in Texas, but for blocking what you think is there is no longer a valid reason.

With the porch built in rf, according to the cgi,there are no more billboards, and one of the billboards in lf, will also be eliminated. I'm sure billboards will go somewhere though.(and that's the way it's been in ballparks throughout the history of professional baseball)

BeerHandle
03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by batmanZoSo
[B].

. And you can't open up the left field view to the expressway and the RTH complex. So you have to put the deck in left.

Have you even been to the area at all lately?? The RTH complex..........DOES NOT EXIST!!!!!(except for one building that will be down or in process by the time around the time phase V is completed. And what they are going to put up over there, is going to look great. I wish I could get to the page of the website that shows those renderings so I could post a link here.

But, my freaking comupter seem to be jacked up right now. So anyone interested in what it is going to look like, should go to som.com and look at their residential projects. So , they don't have to put something up in left field to try and block what's not there anymore. I'm sure that's probably why the billboards were created in the first place, but there is no reason anymore to block lf. As for putting it up a porch in lf instead, yeah that would make it different than in Texas, but for blocking what you think is there is no longer a valid reason.

With the porch built in rf, according to the cgi,there are no more billboards, and one of the billboards in lf, will also be eliminated. I'm sure billboards will go somewhere though.(and that's the way it's been in ballparks throughout the history of professional baseball)

Which link under "Residential?"

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
soxnut,

No I haven't, but whether they're there or not, you still can't have a view of an eight lane expressway.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Which link under "Residential?"

I think it should be under Stateway Gardens Project.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
soxnut,

No I haven't, but whether they're there or not, you still can't have a view of an eight lane expressway.

Ok, you haven't, well it looks alot better now with them gone. It's
incredible how many of the multitudes of projects are gone. There are only about 4 or 5 left down the whole 2 mile stretch of the Ryan.

And like I said, it's going to look really nice when it's done. As for viewing the expy, sitting in the UD, you could see the expy anyway. And when sitting the LD, I don't think they expy is visible.

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Ok, you haven't, well it looks alot better now with them gone. It's
incredible how many of the multitudes of projects are gone. There are only about 4 or 5 left down the whole 2 mile stretch of the Ryan.

And like I said, it's going to look really nice when it's done. As for viewing the expy, sitting in the UD, you could see the expy anyway. And when sitting the LD, I don't think they expy is visible.

It's barely visible but if you put an upper deck on that side it might not be at all. And my whole point is we need to get rid of those damn billboards but it's still gonna be a pretty much flat space beyond left field. Having an open park only works if you have some tall buildings right there. Also, it would look bad with the line of concession stands on the concourse. It's important aesthetically speaking that something is above them.

I also think we have a lot more to work with on the right side as far as scenery goes, so if the Sox would be so nice as to get rid of the billboards, that would be the smart way to go. There are a lot of trees and apartment buildings last I checked.

nitetrain8601
03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
It's barely visible but if you put an upper deck on that side it might not be at all. And my whole point is we need to get rid of those damn billboards but it's still gonna be a pretty much flat space beyond left field. Having an open park only works if you have some tall buildings right there. Also, it would look bad with the line of concession stands on the concourse. It's important aesthetically speaking that something is above them.

I also think we have a lot more to work with on the right side as far as scenery goes, so if the Sox would be so nice as to get rid of the billboards, that would be the smart way to go. There are a lot of trees and apartment buildings last I checked.

Those are not going down ever. It's called advertising, we get money from advertising, the money we get pays for the park. That's what happens when not enough people support the Sox. Reinsdorf will never take them down. There's marketing in almost every ballpark imaginable. What makes you think we're going to change that?

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
Those are not going down ever. It's called advertising, we get money from advertising, the money we get pays for the park. That's what happens when not enough people support the Sox. Reinsdorf will never take them down. There's marketing in almost every ballpark imaginable. What makes you think we're going to change that?

Nobody has 50 foot structures dedicated solely to advertising like us. There are a few things like the Pac Bell Coke bottle, but that looks nice. Don't stretch it, I didn't suggest they get rid of every ad in the park. I have no problem with advertising if it's classy. Anything that brings in money to my team I support unless it in turn takes money away from the team...which those gaudy, characterless billboards do. But hey, maybe it works with the whole expressway theme they got going.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 05:11 PM

Well, you're right if they took the boards down, something would have to go above the concourse. But, with what they want to do on that side(with a portion of the new building being visible, cutting of one billboard, still having hte matrix board and only one big billboard--if they don't turn that into the new out-of-town board) it will look nice.

As for the rf side, there is the senior apt bldg in rt center, a school, and Wentworth Gardens(low-rise projects)(which are supposed to be rehabbed soon). I'm not sure they would really be visible either. I have a couple of photos of the park taken from inside, when the park was still being constructed. The upper and lower bowls are in place and there are no boards up, so I have a good idea of what the view would be like. I'd like to scan and post, but my computer's processor is really not up-to-date for the new scanner/printer I have, so it may take a while to post(if ever).

One of the ideas I have for something going above the concourse that does not get a porch, is to put the arched window design out there. It would be an area where fans could walk through, like how you can now walk through the columns at Soldier Field. I would also include some type of water fountains/falls/works that would block some of the outer view(if the view was not aesthetically pleasing)

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Ideally, all the billboards would be gone, but I know about the building thing coming into left field....I saw one photo, but it didn't offer a great view for this conversation. It was a view from a person standing on the lf concourse. That would be a major improvement if it covered the left corner billboard. I could live with that. And I think it's supposed to come up to the last row of seats which would take away some of the cavernous feel.

I like your idea of arched windows--Houston's field comes to mind..is that what you're thinking? It would be okay because they copied us with that. I would extend those from the building to meet the cf scoreboard. You could put Sox pennant plaques and retired numbers on the facade...and maybe a few big flagpoles ....that matrix board on top of it with a nice lattice border and a large arm clock on the top.

Realist
03-15-2004, 06:01 PM
The first link is pretty indeterminate. You can't make out any details. And the second one only shows this year's renovations. All I know is the hand drawn one that was posted here is a spitting image of Texas, there's no arguing that.

I posted the second link because it gives a list of what renovations have already been officially announced and which ones the organization may be mulling over.

Realist
03-15-2004, 06:10 PM
The Ballpark in Arlington's Home Run Porch [kinda brings back memories of Old Comiskey :smile: ]

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/bpkarl60.jpg

DrCrawdad
03-15-2004, 06:14 PM
The Ballpark in Arlington's Home Run Porch [kinda brings back memories of Old Comiskey :smile: ]

I've always thought that same thing.

TornLabrum
03-15-2004, 06:49 PM

It was based on Tiger Stadium, which always reminded me of Comiskey.

Realist
03-15-2004, 06:59 PM
If the Sox ARE going to build a home run porch in RT field (and all indications say that they will) they should bend over backwards to try to replicate the outfield upper deck of Old Comiskey as best they can. The arched windows and exact same roof should be a must. It should look like a big crane just dropped a piece of Old Comiskey into the Cell that was kept hidden in storage somewhere.

This would be a PR jackpot.

joecrede
03-15-2004, 07:41 PM
According to this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/renovation_phase_overview.pdf) from the Sox website, phase IV of the renovation will cost $28M. How much does that leave with for phase V?

Blueprint1
03-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I think it would be kind of cool if they built some sort of residential building outside of the leftfield with some balconies that look over the field I know that some people would say its too wrigley like but it would make for some cool places to live.

Rush20
03-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I think one of the primary reasons the cost for Phase IV was so high was because they had to "deconstruct" before they could construct. After tearing off the top eight rows and then rebuilding the upper deck to enclose it, etc. cost some serious dollars. Phase V will not have as much "deconstruction" prior to the construction. Knowing JR's ability to use other money than his own, I'm sure some other sponsors will be popping up soon. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not the Illinois Sports Commission has language within the deal that allows the SOX to continue to not pay rent if the attendance falls below 2M. With 4000 less seats (not that they were ever used), this could impact the deal.

soxnut
03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
If the Sox ARE going to build a home run porch in RT field (and all indications say that they will) they should bend over backwards to try to replicate the outfield upper deck of Old Comiskey as best they can. The arched windows and exact same roof should be a must. It should look like a big crane just dropped a piece of Old Comiskey into the Cell that was kept hidden in storage somewhere.

This would be a PR jackpot.

You know, I've thought about that too. It is very doable. :smile:

When they were tearing down the old park, I alwa wished they would have kept up the left field side. I always thought that side was one of the most picturesque sites in baseball. :smile:

soxnut
03-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Ideally, all the billboards would be gone, but I know about the building thing coming into left field....I saw one photo, but it didn't offer a great view for this conversation. It was a view from a person standing on the lf concourse. That would be a major improvement if it covered the left corner billboard. I could live with that. And I think it's supposed to come up to the last row of seats which would take away some of the cavernous feel.

Well, yeah the picture shown is not the greatest, but for me it gives me a pretty good idea as to what the ballpark will look like if they do that. I think it's going to be great.

I like your idea of arched windows--Houston's field comes to mind..is that what you're thinking? It would be okay because they copied us with that. I would extend those from the building to meet the cf scoreboard. You could put Sox pennant plaques and retired numbers on the facade...and maybe a few big flagpoles ....that matrix board on top of it with a nice lattice border and a large arm clock on the top.

My idea is something like that. But of course using our arched window style. I made a crude cgi of my idea a few years ago, I only have it on paper now, so I don't know if I scanned it, if it would be visible, but I'll give it a try soon.