PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie vs Baker

SoxBoy14
03-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Baker may have more experience on his belt, but i believe Ozzie is gonna give him a run for his money this year during the "L" series. Ozzie is close with his players and has been with the White Sox organization for long time. Also since he used to play aside Frankl he knows what he's capable of and how he is. He is very aggresvie too. I'm interested to see how he does this year.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2004, 12:04 AM
I'm not gonna touch this until i see him manage aweek without me screaming at the tv "What the **** are you thinking Ozzie!"

It was a daily occasion with Manuel. I still cant belive he held a job as long as he did.

gosox41
03-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
Baker may have more experience on his belt, but i believe Ozzie is gonna give him a run for his money this year during the "L" series. Ozzie is close with his players and has been with the White Sox organization for long time. Also since he used to play aside Frankl he knows what he's capable of and how he is. He is very aggresvie too. I'm interested to see how he does this year.

Ozzie came out in the paper's saying playing the Cubs is "Just another game" to him. Maybe in spring training (though I still want to kick their butts) but defintely not in June/July.

Bob

Railsplitter
03-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'm not gonna touch this until i see him manage aweek without me screaming at the tv "What the **** are you thinking Ozzie!"

It was a daily occasion with Manuel. I still cant belive he held a job as long as he did.

The same applied for Bevington

jackbrohamer
03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
IMO Baker hasn't earned his reputation as a manager. Brian Sabean is one of the best GMs in baseball and has his team in contention every year. Felipe Alou won more games last year with the Giants than Baker did in 10 of his 11 years as manager. Baker did win a pennant, but so did a lot of other guys over the last 11 years.

And last year, Baker finished first only because his starting pitchers were lights out for the last 2 months, not because of any brilliant managing. Even with that he barely beat out a mediocre Houston team.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
IMO Baker hasn't earned his reputation as a manager.

.....Baker finished first only because his starting pitchers were lights out for the last 2 months, not because of any brilliant managing. Even with that he barely beat out a mediocre Houston team.

And lets not forget they finished a couple games ahead of the SOX in the standings, AND WERE GREATLY AIDED by getting to play the Fiscally Challenged AA Reds, the AAA Pirates down the stretch (even getting to use former Pirate Players against the same Pirates) Baker has officially come across as a Buffoon with power. Power over the CHicago Media. Hes got a meal ticket as long as hes wearing that fuzzy blue outfit. OZZY has shown in his 3 months as manager that he is Way More of Pull-no-punches, Players Manager than Flim Flam Baker was ever purpoted (by the media of course) to be.

SoxBoy14
03-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
And lets not forget they finished a couple games ahead of the SOX in the standings, AND WERE GREATLY AIDED by getting to play the Fiscally Challenged AA Reds, the AAA Pirates down the stretch (even getting to use former Pirate Players against the same Pirates)

While the Sox had 2 series against the Royals and one against the Yankees to end the season. The cubs had a freebee to the play-offs.

mealfred13
03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
IMO Baker hasn't earned his reputation as a manager. Brian Sabean is one of the best GMs in baseball and has his team in contention every year. Felipe Alou won more games last year with the Giants than Baker did in 10 of his 11 years as manager. Baker did win a pennant, but so did a lot of other guys over the last 11 years.

And last year, Baker finished first only because his starting pitchers were lights out for the last 2 months, not because of any brilliant managing. Even with that he barely beat out a mediocre Houston team.

All I ever see him doing is drooling on himself while chewing on a stick or something....

jabrch
03-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
The same applied for Bevington

Bevington wasn't 1/2 as good as Manuel - that's sad

jackbrohamer
03-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
And lets not forget they finished a couple games ahead of the SOX in the standings, AND WERE GREATLY AIDED by getting to play the Fiscally Challenged AA Reds, the AAA Pirates down the stretch (even getting to use former Pirate Players against the same Pirates)

Forgot about that part: Pittsburgh acted like a minor league team for the Cubs and gave them half of their starters down the stretch. If only baseball had a commissioner, someone could have stopped it.

Baby Fisk
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I always squirm when he flips the whole toothpick backwards and closes his mouth. One of these days it's gonna go through his tongue!

I'd take Ozzie in a streetfight, on profanities alone.

MRKARNO
03-16-2004, 05:35 PM
I think that Dusty Baker is probably one of the worst managers in the game today.

Dusty:
-has no clue how to manage a bullpen.
-leaves his starters in for way too long.
-does not value walks
-is rarely willing to put rookies in when there is a veteran available, regardless of how good they are. (Dusty was prepared to go with the Karros/Simon platoon again over Choi before they got Lee)
-makes many stupid comments (His comment on blacks, steroids=mccarthyism etc.)

I dont know why more people dont call this fool out. If he were the sox manager, he would be criticized like hell. The media never ever calls him out about his stupid comments.
If the Cubs have such a great farm system as so many people say, it's irrelevant because Dusty would never play a rookie over a veteran unless Hendry forced him to.
He'll tell his players to swing away all the time and they will lead the league in K's.

This is a joke of a manager we have here. Even if Ozzie is mediocre or even below average, he will be better than Baker, who has to be one of the worst managers in the majors.

Bisco Stu
03-17-2004, 03:10 AM
Ozzie's got more class, plain and simple.

Dusty didn't want an interview he did to be used by KNBR, just because he didn't like the way they criticized him.

Some of the criticism is justified. Like LaRussa, Baker sux at handling pitching in the postseason, someone like Torre is much more adept at that.

SoxBoy14
03-17-2004, 06:03 PM
The cubs think of him as the savior for taking them to the play-offs. All he did was tell Prior to pitch and fiddle with a tooth pick the whole season. When the Sox went to the play-offs in 2000 no one was praising Manual.