PDA

View Full Version : Spring Traning Observations

RKMeibalane
03-12-2004, 08:06 PM
-Aaron Rowand is off to a great start, as it appears that playing winter ball really helped him

-Jon Rauch looks like he has a good chance to win the number five spot in the starting rotation

-Frank Thomas seems to be heating up, as he's 3-5 over his last two games

-Magglio Ordonez has been swinging the bat well in limited action

-Paul Konerko appears to be the same player he was last season- Ugh!

-Ozzie Guillen has already done a better job managing than Jerry Manuel

-the Sox still need to work on fundamentals

-Ed Farmer is annoying

-Juan Uribe may beat out Willie Harris for the starting job at second base

jordan23ventura
03-12-2004, 10:53 PM
In other words, nothing interesting. Same old crap.

Question, since the hot topic on this board seems to be fights and brawls, why can't we see that? I'd rather see Uribe vs. Harris in a cage match.

Railsplitter
03-13-2004, 12:57 PM
How do the rookies look?

mealfred13
03-13-2004, 05:56 PM
You forgot to mention that Danny Wright and Scott Schoenweise have been looking pretty damn good out there. I think it's a stretch to think Rauch will be making the fifth starter's spot after the way Wright's been pitching, especially considering Wright has previous major league experience in a full season. Cotts has been looking pretty decent too. And let's not forget Koch...

DonkeyKongerko
03-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Agreed, I would like to add that Danny Wright was pitching with poise this afternoon. He didn't seem to care about Shamme's homerun at all and didn't allow any big innings. I think Coop has done some fine work.

ondafarm
03-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I saw Danny Wright absolutely mow down 9 straight batters (on less than 30 pitches) in a minor league rehab start last year. It seems he's gotten back to that level of confidence.

munchman33
03-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Danny Wright has done a lot to mend fences with me with the way he pitched today. It's his job to lose.

MRKARNO
03-13-2004, 08:57 PM
It sounds like Koch and Politte have been good in limited action

RKMeibalane
03-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Danny Wright has been pitching extremely well. I forgot to mention him in my earlier post. If Wright or Rauch can nail down one of the remaining starting spots, that will give everyone a better idea of what to expect from this season's team. Now that I mention it, there's no reason why both men can't win starting jobs. I'm not convinced that Scott Shoneweis is the answer in the number four spot, nor do I think that the Sox are willing to go out and look for another starter, at least not until the middle of the season.

As for the bullpen, the Sox need to continue to get good outings from Koch and Polite. Marte has pitched well in limited action, but he shouldn't be expected to carry the load by himself. Last season, it seemed as though either Marte or Gordon had to do everything in order for the bullpen to hold a lead in a close ballgame. That can't happen again, because it is not above question whether the Sox will score enough runs to win games easily.

Tragg
03-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Danny Wright has been pitching extremely well. I forgot to mention him in my earlier post. If Wright or Rauch can nail down one of the remaining starting spots, that will give everyone a better idea of what to expect from this season's team. Now that I mention it, there's no reason why both men can't win starting jobs. I'm not convinced that Scott Shoneweis is the answer in the number four spot, nor do I think that the Sox are willing to go out and look for another starter, at least not until the middle of the season.

Hopefully if either wright or rauch don't make the rotation, they will pitch in the pen and not at AAA (I think that's a given for Wright)

I've never seen rauch pitch, so I can't comment but it wouldn't suprise me if WRight were to become an effective starter- seemed like his troubles were control and getting frustrated more than anything. I think he could also be a real good reliever