PDA

View Full Version : Scott Sullivan?


mealfred13
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Here's an interesting clip I found on the Royal's website:

"Sullivan struggles again: Reliever Scott Sullivan had his third rocky outing, giving up four runs on four hits and a walk in the third inning.

"It's too early to start worrying about Scott Sullivan," Peņa said. "Sometimes it takes a long time for a pitcher to feel strong, especially a sidearmer."

Sullivan got through his first inning of work with just a walk. But, he faced a barrage in his second inning that included singles by Raul Ibaņez and John Olerud, Dan Wilson's two-run double and Hiram Bocachica's triple. Jason Grimsley came in to bail out Sullivan.

"The reason I wanted him to go two innings is to find his sinker," Peņa said. "The ball started to sink better in the second inning."

Apparently not quite enough, however.

Sullivan's ERA jumped to 15.42 in his 4 2/3 spring innings."

At least that's one guy who isn't going to be missed much...

lowesox
03-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Well... let's wait and see on that. Sullivan's pretty proven for being consistent. I'd say his chances of turning around a bad spring are much better than somebody like Takatsu, who's still absolutely unproven.

Hopefully, it'll be the other way around and Takatsu will pick it up, and Sullivan will struggle all year. The good news is, Politte has posted some decent innings this offseason.

CubKilla
03-13-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Well... let's wait and see on that. Sullivan's pretty proven for being consistent.

Funny. I remember nothing but bombs hit off of Sullivan in a Sox uniform in '03. The one deal KW didn't make that I actually agree with.

Sullivan=overrated.

mealfred13
03-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Funny. I remember nothing but bombs hit off of Sullivan in a Sox uniform in '03. The one deal KW didn't make that I actually agree with.

Sullivan=overrated.

Same here. There was only one game I can remember where he came in for like 2 innings and shut them down. Every other time, he was gettting rocked from what I remember.

Jjav829
03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla


Funny. I remember nothing but bombs hit off of Sullivan in a Sox uniform in '03. The one deal KW didn't make that I actually agree with.

Sullivan=overrated.


Originally posted by mealfred13


Same here. There was only one game I can remember where he came in for like 2 innings and shut them down. Every other time, he was gettting rocked from what I remember.

Selective memory. Out of 15 game he appeared in, he didn't allow an earned run in 11 of them. He had one bad stretch where he allowed 4 runs in a span of 3 games, pitching only a combined 2/3 of an inning. In fact, he pitched 13 1/3 innings of shutout ball out of 14 1/3 total innings. I wouldn't say he was getting rocked every time out there.

ChiSox14305635
03-13-2004, 04:19 PM
I read that Sullivan never had any intention of returning to the Sox. I hope he gets rocked every game. He's a skinnier version of Rick White.

mealfred13
03-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Selective memory. Out of 15 game he appeared in, he didn't allow an earned run in 11 of them. He had one bad stretch where he allowed 4 runs in a span of 3 games, pitching only a combined 2/3 of an inning. In fact, he pitched 13 1/3 innings of shutout ball out of 14 1/3 total innings. I wouldn't say he was getting rocked every time out there.

Go figure, I guess that's what happens when I try to jugle college with sox games :D:

Still, when he was bad, he was bad. enough to cause me to have selective memory about him...

StockdaleForVeep
03-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Since when has spring training results ment anything? If i recall baltimore somehow ends up leading every year in spring training record yet where do they end up during regular season

mealfred13
03-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Since when has spring training results ment anything? If i recall baltimore somehow ends up leading every year in spring training record yet where do they end up during regular season

No offense, but if I had a penny for every time someone said "it's only spring training".......I'd out them in a large bucket and let them rain down on my head until I passed out from multiple head trauma....