PDA

View Full Version : Sox Brawls


Viva Magglio
03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
I was trying to remember all the White Sox brawls that I remember. The ones that come to mind include:

- An early '80s brawl in which Tony LaRussa's shoulder was dislocated.

- 1989 season opener in Anaheim when Ivan Calderon charged the mond.

- 1990 brawl when Steve Buchele charged Greg Hibbard for plunking him after Nolan Ryan plunked Craig Grebeck.

- Mark Whiten charging Jack McDowell in a 1991 incident.

- George Bell charging Aaron Sele after the Boston pitcher threw behind Bell twice in a row.

- George Bell roll blocking Pat Listach in Milwaukee and causing a donnybrook.

- Listach charging Rob Dibble after the then-Sox pitcher plunked him.

- In Cleveland, Omar Vizquel getting ejected for going after Jim Parque.

- The 2000 first brawl against the Tigers.

- The 2000 second brawl against the Tigers.

- Last season, Jerry Hairston Jr. gets plunked by Bartolo Colon after Oriole pitcher plunked Maggs.

SoxBoy14
03-12-2004, 06:38 PM
i dont know if you would call it a brawl but he time the fan ran on the feild and beat up the coach.

duke of dorwood
03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
There was the fight involving Bart Johnson somewhere around 1970-that he actually got mad at the team when they used a picture of the fight in an ad for your "Fighting White Sox" when attendance was really bad

dickallen15
03-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Robin Ventura charging the mound, and having Nolan Ryan pummel him.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm a big fan of baseball fights, brawls, rumbles, rampages, fisticuffs and especially donnybrooks. The 2000 Tiger fight I'll never forget though I only heard it on the radio. They were some dirty b###ards over there. Higginson clocked Foulke when he wasn't looking and made him bleed all over the place. Robert Fick (Pr#ck) showed great class that day too. He got a nice beer shower

voodoochile
03-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
i dont know if you would call it a brawl but he time the fan ran on the feild and beat up the coach.

You trolling?

owensmouth
03-12-2004, 06:58 PM
The first one that I remember was one of the best. The Yankees Art Ditmar hit the Sox' center fielder Larry Doby and the rumble was on. It was in the early 50s. I can still picture Enos Slaughter, his jersey in tatters, going back to the Yankees dugout after being ejected.

I think I was six or seven when that occurred and it solidified my hatred for the Yankees forever.

When John Rooney interviewed Hank Bauer a couple of years ago I felt like he stabbed me in the back. Rooney doesn't understand how deep the emotions are of those of us who have been Sox fans for 50 plus years, especially when it comes to the Yankees.

CHISOXFAN13
03-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You trolling?

I don't think he's trolling. He's just a little bit younger than the average member of WSI.

Paulwny
03-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
The first one that I remember was one of the best. The Yankees Art Ditmar hit the Sox' center fielder Larry Doby and the rumble was on. It was in the early 50s. I can still picture Enos Slaughter, his jersey in tatters, going back to the Yankees dugout after being ejected.

I think I was six or seven when that occurred and it solidified my hatred for the Yankees forever.

When John Rooney interviewed Hank Bauer a couple of years ago I felt like he stabbed me in the back. Rooney doesn't understand how deep the emotions are of those of us who have been Sox fans for 50 plus years, especially when it comes to the Yankees.

I still can see the picture of Slaughter that appeared in the paper.
Agree, I've had this yankmee hatred for a long, long time. When the yankmees lit up sparklers in the Comiskey dugout after a hr that sealed the hatred.

owensmouth
03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah, their answer to Veeck's exploding scoreboard.

Lip Man 1
03-12-2004, 07:42 PM
There were actually two major brawls with the Yankees in the late 50's.

And how about the fight Johnson had with the late Darrell Porter in K.C. in August of 77. Porter had bowled into Johnson earlier in a play at first base and the late Dick Howser had to step in to prevent Johnson for going after him. In the 6th inning as Porter was walking into the batter's box, Johnson stepped off the mound and yelled at him 'you want it now?' while holding the baseball. Porter charged and chaos ensued.

Then you have the time on Memorial Day 1971 when Johnson threw two close pitches to the Orioles Don Buford. Buford started to go to the mound holding his bat. Things calmed down but the next time Buford was standing in the on deck circle with his back to the fans at Comiskey Park, some drunk came out on the field. The players on the field started yelling to Buford to look out. Buford turned, saw the drunk, and cold cocked him with one punch, then the Orioles came out of the dugout and chaos ensued. Read the Mike Andrews interview here at WSI for more info on this one.

Lip

RKMeibalane
03-12-2004, 07:56 PM
What about the brawl in 1995 against Milwaukee? Phil Garner and Terry Bevington, the two stupidest men in baseball at the time, got into it, throwing punches and screaming at each other. I distinctly remember Frank Thomas and Ron Karkovice ganging up on Fernando Vina and beating the **** out of him.

Palehose13
03-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by °Viva MŠgglio!

- George Bell charging Aaron Sele after the Boston pitcher threw behind Bell twice in a row.

I was at this game it it was labor day, 1993. Both benches and bullpens cleared. My cousin played ball with "psycho" in college and he was on the Red Sox at the time. My friend and I got to hang out with the Red Sox after that game at an unnamed bar (I was not quite 21). It was pretty cool to hear the guys talk about the fight. :D:

TornLabrum
03-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
The first one that I remember was one of the best. The Yankees Art Ditmar hit the Sox' center fielder Larry Doby and the rumble was on. It was in the early 50s. I can still picture Enos Slaughter, his jersey in tatters, going back to the Yankees dugout after being ejected.


I was at that game. It was the second ball game I ever went to. My most vivid recollection, other than the pile-up of players was "Big Moose" Walt Dropo pummelling Enos Slaughter, and then Slaughter walking to the Yankees dugout with the shirt ripped off his back and cap turned sideways.

I saw much of that fight perched atop my dad's shoulders.

oldcomiskey
03-12-2004, 08:46 PM
2 come to mind--the first one got us Dick Allen after we gave up on Tommy John who was hit with a bat by Dick McAuliff

the other in KC--Stan Bahnsen threw at John Mayberry--talk about guts!!!!

Railsplitter
03-12-2004, 09:17 PM
I remember a bench clear vs the Royals in KC, Circa 1975. I remember The Royals' Freddie Patek (the man who put the short in shortstop) taking umbrage at a hard tag.

ChiSox14305635
03-12-2004, 09:18 PM
In the Detroit brawl in 2000, I'm not sure if it was Foulke, CLee or Maggs, but one of them got sucker-punched by Karim Garcia. I've never liked the clown since.

jordan23ventura
03-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Robin Ventura charging the mound, and having Nolan Ryan pummel him.


Thats not something I'd like to remember. I'm all like "yeah Robin kick his... oh man this is bad..."

WinningUgly!
03-13-2004, 01:24 AM
The Al Cowens, Ed Farmer thing in 1980.

michned
03-13-2004, 06:21 AM
The Al Cowens, Ed Farmer thing in 1980.

That one was the first one to come to my mind as well. Not much of a fight but it was an ugly sucker punch. I remember Cowens hit a ground ball to the shortstop and instead of running to first he charged the mound and sucker punched Farmer. With all that is going on in the NHL right now, it's an interesting parallel because all the talk at that time was whether Cowens should be charged with assault.

Ed

StillMissOzzie
03-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I remember a bench clear vs the Royals in KC, Circa 1975. I remember The Royals' Freddie Patek (the man who put the short in shortstop) taking umbrage at a hard tag.

LMAO!!!


SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
03-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm a big fan of baseball fights, brawls, rumbles, rampages, fisticuffs and especially donnybrooks. The 2000 Tiger fight I'll never forget though I only heard it on the radio. They were some dirty b###ards over there. Higginson clocked Foulke when he wasn't looking and made him bleed all over the place. Robert Fick (Pr#ck) showed great class that day too. He got a nice beer shower

That fight in 2000 I had the pleasure of attending and what a whopper of a brawl (it was actually two brawls as the benches cleared twice). Resident punk Jeff Weaver beaned a ton of White Sox batters that day so feisty young Jim Parque plunked Bobby Higginson in the back in retaliation. Higginson promptly charged the mound and threw his helmet at Parque (gutless!), the benches and bullpens cleared and the fight ensued. Now, I've seen some baseball fights before where it is just two guys going at it with a bunch of people around pushing and shoving...not this one. There were several distinct groups of Sox and Tigers players pummeling each other with lefts and rights. How can anyone forget Magglio Ordonez's karate kick?? :D:

I think Howry beaned another Tigers player in the 8th and the benches cleared again. Jeff Weaver came back from the locker room in a t-shirt (he had already been ejected) and joined the fight again. Fighting Phil Garner had himself quite a team of goons back then. My lasting memory of that fight was Robert Fick returning to the Visitor bullpen where he gave fans the "Stone Cold Salute" of both middle fingers which White Sox fans promptly pelting him with beer and peanuts. Don't mess with Sox fans!!!

Brian26
03-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
In the Detroit brawl in 2000, I'm not sure if it was Foulke, CLee or Maggs, but one of them got sucker-punched by Karim Garcia. I've never liked the clown since.

Juan Samuel was taking pot shots, too. Fick, Higgenson, Weaver, Samuel- If I ever see any of these pricks walking down a dark alley, I'll be sure to say hi to them.

chisoxmike
03-13-2004, 11:40 AM
There was a good one last year on April 25 vs the Twins. Garland got thrown out.

southsidegirl
03-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I don't think he's trolling. He's just a little bit younger than the average member of WSI.

Whoa! He's only a little bit older than me!!!!!!!! I'm still the baby here though.

TornLabrum
03-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
That fight in 2000 I had the pleasure of attending and what a whopper of a brawl (it was actually two brawls as the benches cleared twice). Resident punk Jeff Weaver beaned a ton of White Sox batters that day so feisty young Jim Parque plunked Bobby Higginson in the back in retaliation. Higginson promptly charged the mound and threw his helmet at Parque (gutless!), the benches and bullpens cleared and the fight ensued. Now, I've seen some baseball fights before where it is just two guys going at it with a bunch of people around pushing and shoving...not this one. There were several distinct groups of Sox and Tigers players pummeling each other with lefts and rights. How can anyone forget Magglio Ordonez's karate kick?? :D:

I think Howry beaned another Tigers player in the 8th and the benches cleared again. Jeff Weaver came back from the locker room in a t-shirt (he had already been ejected) and joined the fight again. Fighting Phil Garner had himself quite a team of goons back then. My lasting memory of that fight was Robert Fick returning to the Visitor bullpen where he gave fans the "Stone Cold Salute" of both middle fingers which White Sox fans promptly pelting him with beer and peanuts. Don't mess with Sox fans!!!

In addition to the Ditmar vs. Doby brawl with special guest stars Walt Dropo and Enos Slaughter in '57, I was at the 2000 brawl. Maybe it's because I was more impressed as a 7-year-old, but I thought the '57 brawl was better, if only because of Slaughter.

The one striking similarity between the two altercations was that both seemed to be settled down when suddenly something was said or whatever and both benches cleared again.

batmanZoSo
03-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You


I think Howry beaned another Tigers player in the 8th and the benches cleared again. Jeff Weaver came back from the locker room in a t-shirt (he had already been ejected) and joined the fight again. Fighting Phil Garner had himself quite a team of goons back then. My lasting memory of that fight was Robert Fick returning to the Visitor bullpen where he gave fans the "Stone Cold Salute" of both middle fingers which White Sox fans promptly pelting him with beer and peanuts. Don't mess with Sox fans!!!


I'll always treasure that day. After that year, they never had the same fire. We'll see it again on the south side with Ozzie at the reigns.

misty60481
03-13-2004, 07:16 PM
didnt Bill Melton punch McCauliff in nose at second base one year???

Dan H
03-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
There was the fight involving Bart Johnson somewhere around 1970-that he actually got mad at the team when they used a picture of the fight in an ad for your "Fighting White Sox" when attendance was really bad

Bart Johnson also got into a fight with Don Buford on Memorial Day 1971. Buford was with Baltimore and he hit two home runs in the second game of a double header, including one of Johnson. Johnson then drilled Buford in between the shoulder blades with a fast ball. Buford then charged the mound with a bat in his hand. Buford wasn't thrown out and then got into a shouting match with a fan in the lower boxes when he was in the on deck circle waiting for his next at bat. Then some other fan runs on the field and about five O's beat the crap out of him after he lunged at Buford. Buford was finally ejected. Like Harry used to say, "You can't beat fun at the old ball park."

Lip Man 1
03-14-2004, 12:33 PM
From the Mike Andrews interview with WSI:

ML: With former Dodger catcher Johnny Roseboro passing away in August, I was reminded of the infamous fight he had with Giants pitcher Juan Marichal.. You personally saw almost another incident like that when Don Buford of the Orioles approached the mound with his bat against Sox pitcher Bart Johnson in 1971. What do you remember about that?

MA: "I remember that vividly because I saw the whole thing from second base. It was a Memorial Day doubleheader and Bart threw a close one at Buford. Buford started out towards the mound with his bat. I donít think Don intended using that bat though. It just happened that he started towards the mound and I donít think he realized he still had the bat in his other hand. Don played football at USC. If he was going to do something, he didnít even need a bat. Anyway nothing happened and Don went out to left field. The Sox fans in that lower deck just gave him hell. A few innings later heís in the on deck circle watching the game when I see a fan jump over the wall and start towards him. This drunk was headed his way when a bunch of guys started yelling to Don to look out. Buford turned, saw the guy, and cold cocked him. Just dropped him with one punch. Thatís when some of Donís teammates from the Orioles headed out of the dugout and beat the guy. He was bloody from head to toe. I heard afterwards that when they took the guy into the medical room at the park to get worked on, the medics turned their back for a moment and the guy disappeared!"

Lip

PINWHEELS
03-14-2004, 12:55 PM
It's just a matter of time before a flubs@ SOX go at it. And if that happens its going to to be a ugly scene no matter what park it is in.

Realist
03-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
That fight in 2000 I had the pleasure of attending and what a whopper of a brawl (it was actually two brawls as the benches cleared twice). Resident punk Jeff Weaver beaned a ton of White Sox batters that day so feisty young Jim Parque plunked Bobby Higginson in the back in retaliation. Higginson promptly charged the mound and threw his helmet at Parque (gutless!), the benches and bullpens cleared and the fight ensued. Now, I've seen some baseball fights before where it is just two guys going at it with a bunch of people around pushing and shoving...not this one. There were several distinct groups of Sox and Tigers players pummeling each other with lefts and rights. How can anyone forget Magglio Ordonez's karate kick?? :D:

I think Howry beaned another Tigers player in the 8th and the benches cleared again. Jeff Weaver came back from the locker room in a t-shirt (he had already been ejected) and joined the fight again. Fighting Phil Garner had himself quite a team of goons back then. My lasting memory of that fight was Robert Fick returning to the Visitor bullpen where he gave fans the "Stone Cold Salute" of both middle fingers which White Sox fans promptly pelting him with beer and peanuts. Don't mess with Sox fans!!!

These fights were the key to the Sox success that year. After the brawls the Sox came together as a unit. I was dreaming of another fight just like those last year. Seeing as there was no way Manuel was going to inspire those mopes I could often be heard yelling, "HIT HIM!!" when the Sox were pitching or "CHARGE THE MOUND!!" when the Sox were at bat at random times during the games I attended. Listen for me again this year. I'll be there about 30 times.

Hopefuly I won't be yelling, "HIT HIM WITH YOUR PURSE, FRANK!!" :D:

btw, does anybody have a video tape copy of the 2000 Tiger brawls? I never got to see more than a few seconds of those fights and I heard that they were real doozies. I've been dying to see 'em.