PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs Tradition

Hosey22
03-12-2004, 06:07 PM
A topic on another thread about the 8-0 come from behind victory over the cubs got me thinking. I started noticing back in 01' that every year the first game against the cubs at comiskey has been an unbelievable victory for the Sox in grand fashion. And each year has been remarkably something new.

99-Carlos Lee's sac fly to win it in the 9th, sox win 3-2
00-14 inning marathon, Ray Durham wins it with a double in the 14th
01-10th inning Grand Slam by C. Lee once again
02-8-0 come from behind victory featuring Paul Konerko
03-Day Game, winning HR by Hosey in the 9th
04-?

I look more forward to that game the any other in the season just because I like watching the trend continue, hopefully we'll see some more of the same this year.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 06:19 PM
I never realized all those games were the openers. This is the ultimate rivalry for us...it's always a great game and we end up winning. No bad memories.

Anyone know the all time series? We're a good 4 or 5 up on them I know that much. I lost track last year.

SoxBoy14
03-12-2004, 06:23 PM
recently we have been doing very good in the white sox - cubs series.
was it '99 that we swept the cubs?

dpbyron
03-12-2004, 06:31 PM
How many times have we lost the Sunday game and missed a sweep?

00' Jerry saved the bullpen for the big seven game sweep... The one and only great move by manuel?

02' Clement dominated

03' Kerry Wood was wild, but we couldn't take advantage!

We have only lost one series at home (99', which was after the Glouris Sweep anyway so it didn't matter!). We have also won two other series at the Tavern on the Green in 01' and 03'!

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
How many times have we lost the Sunday game and missed a sweep?

00' Jerry saved the bullpen for the big seven game sweep... The one and only great move by manuel?

02' Clement dominated

03' Kerry Wood was wild, but we couldn't take advantage!

We have only lost one series at home (99', which was after the Glouris Sweep anyway so it didn't matter!). We have also won two other series at the Tavern on the Green in 01' and 03'!

Yeah the 01 and 03 failed sweeps at home really stunk because the cubs were good both years. 01 was Gaffe-anino. I'll take that one to my grave.

I'll go year by year:

97--Won 2/3 at home 2-1
98--Got swept 0-3
99--Returned the favor, then lost 2/3 4-2
00--Exchanged 2/3s 3-3
01--Won em both 4/6 4-2
02--Won em both? 4/6 4-2
03--Won em both 4/6 4-2

Us: 21

Them: 16

I'm not sure about 2002. I might be one game off. We may have lost the Wrigley series that year. I remember some bozo over there hit a grand slam off Howry in a whirlwind game. So we lost at least one that series.

Either 21-16 or 20-17

Hosey22
03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah we lost that wrigley series in 02' so I do think it is 20-17, but I'll take that, we still have a 3 game edge.

_________
"The Cubs haven't won a World Series since before Wrigley Field was built, maybe they blew up the wrong piece of crap"

RKMeibalane
03-12-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm looking forward to the whining and excuses from the Cubs fans once the games are over. The same thing happens year after year. Before each series, Cubs fans talk about how they're "going to kick our asses." After everything ends, however, they make excuses, saying that the games "meant more to the Sox, so that's why they won."

Cubs fans- a pathetic group of people.

Railsplitter
03-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Who cares what the record is as long as the Sox have more wins than the Schlubs

ihatethecubs
03-12-2004, 09:38 PM
ive noticed this because i was lucky to be at all of those games. thats why i always buy the friday game

SoxBoy14
03-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Don't forget last years Olivo Grand Slam in the 1st inning! It was then i knew 100% that we were ment to beat the cubs.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
ive noticed this because i was lucky to be at all of those games. thats why i always buy the friday game

I never went to one of those. Should though. To me, they feel just like playoff games.

JohnJeter
03-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Pathetic.

I'm happy to go 0-6 against the Cubs, do well elsewhere and win the pennant.

Some of you guys need to wipe the anti-Cub foam from the sides of your mouths.

CubKilla
03-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Pathetic.

I'm happy to go 0-6 against the Cubs, do well elsewhere and win the pennant.

Some of you guys need to wipe the anti-Cub foam from the sides of your mouths.

I hope you live in Chicago and have Cub fans in your family. If you do to one or both of the above aforementioned, shame on you. Live with one or both of the above for a year and deal with it civilly..... if you can.

If you're neither, stuff it. You know nothing about what the Sox/Cub rivalry means to Sox fans living in Chicago proper.

SSN721
03-13-2004, 09:59 AM
I was at the game lasdte year at Comiskey when Senor Jimenez got the game wining hit to drive in the last run with the bases loaded. I beleive it was 6-5 or 7-6. If memory serve I think Rick White almost blew that game for us, letting the Cubs catch up in the middle innings. But it was a fantastic game, playoff atmosphere, I usually get to one a year and the intensity is unbeleivable.