PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie rants at team after Pads game

HawkDJ
03-12-2004, 07:50 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intid=38058153

Some select quotes:

Ozzie:
"The last two innings, we were dead in the dugout. I come here and give all my energy, wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning ready to go. My coaches are ready to go. I expect the players to come the same way... Whether you are playing three innings or nine innings, you better show up and play the game and have enthusiasm and thank the Lord for what kind of job you have... I expect them to show up tomorrow and play a better game. I hope they read the (expletive) paper tomorrow.

Konerko:
"It's never too early to have that attitude. It's safe to say we haven't had that here the last few years. We were hard-pressed to get that during the season, let alone spring training"

wdelaney72
03-12-2004, 08:12 AM
I love it. The Sox were not gong ot win with Manual. Even with the Yankees staff, he'd find a way to over-manage them.

Ozzie may or may not be the answer, either, but at least if he's not, he'll make 2nd place a lot more entertaining.

sas1974
03-12-2004, 08:27 AM
I think it's about time someone finally said this to this bunch of guys. We have given full season's away w/ a lack of intensity and emotion. I am glad to see Ozzie trying to nip this in the bud.

And this quite says it all:

Ozzie: Whether you are playing three innings or nine innings, you better show up and play the game and have enthusiasm and thank the Lord for what kind of job you have.

I hope these guys realize how lucky they have it.

SSN721
03-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Good Lord, that is fantastic. I love hearing this kind of thing. I love when someone actually tells these players what a fantasy life they live. How can you not show up all the time with nothing but enthusiasm and passion for the game. The fact they are getting this now in ST makes it even better. Imagine what it will be like during the season if they play as lackluster as they did last year. Although now I am gonna wait for some posts saying how the manager needs to be more diplomatic and this isn't the right way to reach these guys. If this doesn't do it, this group is beyond being reached in my opinion. I still hold my reservations on overall skill until the season starts and I can see how manages a real game, but I love how he is giving them an emotional kick in the ass right now. They need that, I don't care what anyone says, I think attitude has always been the problem with this club. Now lets hope this lets them go into the season with some fire and not brain dead and comatose as usual.

soxfan26
03-12-2004, 08:41 AM
While I agree with what Ozzie says, the title of the thread should be "Ozzie Rants at Reporters after Pads Game"

Guillen said he plans on speaking to the White Sox about Thursday's lax enthusiasm.

So he hadn't even addressed the players yet. But that being said It's about time!

SSN721
03-12-2004, 08:42 AM
"We practice everything down here,'' Konerko said. "We practice groundballs, we practice hitting. We might as well practice the attitude of winning. That's not a bad idea.''

I think this is my favorite quote. This is what I want to hear from the players. I dont se ehow you can argue with a winning attitude, what is the point of spring training if you cant at least have a winning attitude to get you fired up and confident to start the season. I just love hearing quotes like this and it seems that Ozzies attitude is rubbing off on the team, and I love hearing it. :cool:

Dan H
03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
I love this attitude of Guillen's. I don't want kind of overall manager he is going to be, but I think its great he is sending out a message right now. Why wait until spring training is over? It' s never early too address a problem and obviously these player have one.

Corpseball needs to end. If you're going to go down, go down fighting, not like the choke job in Minneapolis last September.

tebman
03-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Corpseball needs to end. If you're going to go down, go down fighting, not like the choke job in Minneapolis last September.

Amen! Go down swinging -- that's both a great life lesson and
a winning baseball strategy.

I was at the final playoff game in '83, in which Britt Burns pitched
the game of his life: an extra-inning shutout. My wife and mother and
I had standing-room tickets and stood on the scoreboard ramp
between the board and the left-field grandstand. Tito Landrum
hit a homer for the Orioles that put them in the lead and brought
a hush to the ballpark. In the Sox half of the inning, Greg Luzinski
watched (WATCHED!) three strikes go by. I couldn't believe it.

In the last chance of the last game of the last series of the
season for the Sox, he didn't even swing. I'll never forget that.

If Guillen can impart some go-down-swinging urgency in the
team, JR will find that he has a lot more attendance at the games
no matter how the Sox finish in the standings. I hope Ozzie
can pull it off.

- tebman

Lip Man 1
03-12-2004, 10:38 AM
This is a refreshing change. Since the 9th inning Monday the Sox appear to not even be caring. (especially the kids who have no shot to make the final roster. That's surprising to me, you'd think people like Majewski and Valenzuela for example, would be trying to make a positive impression...)

Lip

The Critic
03-12-2004, 10:41 AM
I was a little put off that he brought it to the writers before addressing the team. I don't want the team's problems going to the press before the clubhouse. That's not the way to do it, in my view.
That said, I like Oz keeping people accountable. Given the pissy nature of the modern athlete, though, too much accountability could turn them against him. It's going to be interesting to watch this play out.

Kittle
03-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Good for Ozzie. It's about time this team had a manager with some leadership skills.

Jerko
03-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I have less issue with Ozzie than I do with Konerko sounding like Mr. Know it all! Hey Konerko, when you quit hitting one-hoppers directly at the shortstop with a guy on first, then I'll listen to the wisdom you're trying to convince us all, and most likely, yourself, that you have.

ChiSox65
03-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
While I agree with what Ozzie says, the title of the thread should be "Ozzie Rants at Reporters after Pads Game"

So he hadn't even addressed the players yet. But that being said It's about time!

When they asked Ozzie if he was going to bring it up to the players, he said "Yes, It's like your wife cheating on you and you know she is cheating. Are you going to say something or just say no, she stil loves me."

Fiesty, I love Ozzaroo, Ozaroo........YESSSSS!!!!

FanOf14
03-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I have less issue with Ozzie than I do with Konerko sounding like Mr. Know it all! Hey Konerko, when you quit hitting one-hoppers directly at the shortstop with a guy on first, then I'll listen to the wisdom you're trying to convince us all, and most likely, yourself, that you have.

:?: Where'd that come from?

Eh, I forgot (it's been awhile since I've posted here on a regular basis), PK can do no right. With that said, he better straighten his ass out pronto.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-12-2004, 12:52 PM

Too funny. I'm guessing Konerko is trying to get an early start at placing his nose as far up the new manager's ass as he did the old one, too? :smile:

Seriously, this is spring training. I'm glad Ozzie is sending the signal that the old complacency won't be tolerated, but I hope he is smart enough to know October 2 is still over six months away. His team will quit on him if he intends to ride them over everything as small as this-- especially results from exhibition games.

soxfan26
03-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox65
When they asked Ozzie if he was going to bring it up to the players, he said "Yes, It's like your wife cheating on you and you know she is cheating. Are you going to say something or just say no, she stil loves me."

Fiesty, I love Ozzaroo, Ozaroo........YESSSSS!!!!

You may have read a different article, but the one that is linked in this thread doesn't say anything like that. I understand that Ozzie plans to address the players.

My point was that Ozzie's quotes were not from a locker room tirade, they were from an interview with a reporter.

Jerko
03-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
:?: Where'd that come from?

Eh, I forgot (it's been awhile since I've posted here on a regular basis), PK can do no right. With that said, he better straighten his ass out pronto.

I am not anti-Konerko, but I am sick of him being the "mouthpiece" of the franchise all the time when he doesn't back up any of his words with good play. It's been a season and a half now of poor play so maybe he should concentrate on his game instead of trying to show the rest of us how smart he is. The last thing I saw him say, which was last week, was how much better the Sox would be if he played first all the time and Thomas DH'ed, then he kind of caught himself and said "Frank's a better DH than I would be, that's all I meant". I just don't think he's had the type of career yet where he should be the only one who's lips are moving. Everyone tells Valentin to put up or shut up when he spouts off all the time so I don't see why Konerko should be able to yap away without being called on it either.

sas1974
03-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Seriously, this is spring training. I'm glad Ozzie is sending the signal that the old complacency won't be tolerated, but I hope he is smart enough to know October 2 is still over six months away. His team will quit on him if he intends to ride them over everything as small as this-- especially results from exhibition games.

That's what I am hoping too. I am also glad he sent the message, but I don't want him to burn it out. I do think that he was less concerned with the actual results of the game vs. the way it was played. And with the overall attitude.

I would be curious to see what he actually had to say to the players as opposed to the newpaper.

FanOf14
03-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I am not anti-Konerko, but I am sick of him being the "mouthpiece" of the franchise all the time when he doesn't back up any of his words with good play.

I don't disagree with this. But what's he supposed to do when a reporter asks him a question - walk away and give them more ammo to rip the Sox for? If PK is going up to the reporters, a different story entirely.

jackbrohamer
03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
I am not anti-Konerko, but I am sick of him being the "mouthpiece" of the franchise all the time when he doesn't back up any of his words with good play. It's been a season and a half now of poor play so maybe he should concentrate on his game instead of trying to show the rest of us how smart he is.

Amen. Every story on the Sox seems to have a quote from Konerko. If he wants publicity he should try playing better baseball.

soxfan26
03-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Amen. Every story on the Sox seems to have a quote from Konerko. If he wants publicity he should try playing better baseball.

:walnuts
"play better baseball.... BRILLIANT!"

Mammoo
03-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Windy City Report: Oz Man Outs Team, Loaiza (http://www.sparkpod.com/WCR) :smile:

ChiSox65
03-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
You may have read a different article, but the one that is linked in this thread doesn't say anything like that. I understand that Ozzie plans to address the players.

My point was that Ozzie's quotes were not from a locker room tirade, they were from an interview with a reporter.

The quote was from the Sun-Times.

hftrex
03-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Ozzie needs to watch it or else he risks losing the team just like Bevington did.

SoxBoy14
03-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I knew Ozzie was the real deal. These players are one of the best in the world and they get paid a LOT of money to play baseball, why not play it well? Ozzie will get the lazy guys out there up on their feet and ready to give it their all. Here's to a promising season :gulp:

crector
03-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Early on in his managerial career with the Sox, Tony LaRussa said that the biggest problem that he had was that a lot of the players remembered watching him play. That could be the problem here with the key difference being that while LaRussa realized that he was not a terribly good player, Ozzie suffers from delusions of grandeur.

SoxBoy14
03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I think its good what Ozzie is doing with the players. The real test is today at the sox/cubs game. A win would fire up the players and prove that he understands how important it is that we beat the cubs.

SSN721
03-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I knew Ozzie was the real deal. These players are one of the best in the world and they get paid a LOT of money to play baseball, why not play it well? Ozzie will get the lazy guys out there up on their feet and ready to give it their all. Here's to a promising season :gulp:

I'll drink to that. :D: :gulp: