PDA

View Full Version : Most disgusting baseball moment?

StockdaleForVeep
03-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Im sure we all saw the incident with bertuzzi against Moore of colorado, im just curious, what would we rank as the most disgusting moment in baseball history, and No, we cant use the strike or the concept of the sox needin to slash payroll as moments.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Ty Cobb beating up a crippled fan.

But being that it came before the ESPN era, I would have to say Juan Marichal using a bat to hit someone in the head. I think that only got a 9 day suspension, or can someone correct me on this one.

seventytwo
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the Juan Marichal thing happened before the ESPN era as well. :D:

That was going to be my response too.

JohnJeter
03-11-2004, 06:31 PM
One week suspension, clubbed John Roseboro. Interesting to read what precipitated it:

"On August 22, 1965, Marichal faced Sandy Koufax at Candlestick Park in the heat of a tight pennant race. The Giants and Dodgers had come close to a brawl two days earlier over catcher's interference calls. Los Angeles's Maury Wills had allegedly tipped Tom Haller's mitt with his bat on purpose, and Marichal's best friend, Matty Alou, retaliated by tipping John Roseboro's face mask. Roseboro nearly beaned Alou with his return throw to the mound. In the August 22 game, Marichal had flattened Wills and Ron Fairly with pitches when Roseboro purportedly asked Koufax to hit Marichal. When Koufax refused, Roseboro's return throw came close to Marichal's head. Name-calling ensued, until Roseboro suddenly ripped off his mask and stood up. Marichal rapped the catcher on the head with his bat. What followed was one of the most violent brawls in major league history. Willie Mays led away Roseboro, who had suffered a concussion, while Dodger Bob Miller tackled Marichal, Alou slugged Miller, and Tito Fuentes menaced the Dodgers with his bat. Roseboro sued Marichal, but eventually dropped the suit. Marichal was fined $1750, was suspended for a week, and missed two starts as the Giants finished two games behind the Dodgers. Years later, Marichal said, "I feel sorry that I used the bat."

jackbrohamer
03-11-2004, 06:33 PM
They didn't involve sucker punches, but the 2 worst I've seen are (1) when Dave Dravecky broke his arm after throwing a pitch (I think it was after he had cancer surgery on it & it was amputated); and (2) Wilbur Wood being hit in the kneecap with a line drive & the kneecap broke in half. Both were pretty disgusting

maurice
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
How about the treatment of Bartman by cub "fans" and the Chicago media?

In a much milder version of the Roseboro incident, I've seen a couple of Sox players pop A.J. Pzscrewzawuski in the mask with their bat on "accident" and then "apologize."

The Dravecky and Ventura incidents are a whole different kind of "disgusting."

seventytwo
03-11-2004, 06:40 PM
How about when Robin put his foot on backwards while sliding into home in ST?

Theismannesque.

Bobby Thigpen
03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Dang it seventytwo that was going to be my nomination. That or Kendall's injury a few years ago.

Maybe it was this
:nolanventura

idseer
03-11-2004, 06:59 PM
what was most disgusting to me was what happened at comiskey park last year vs the royals.

SoxBoy14
03-11-2004, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by maurice
[B]How about the treatment of Bartman by cub "fans" and the Chicago media?

I agree the guy was totally abused by his so called "fellow" fans and he wasn't the only one who reached up. I'm not saying i didn't love every minute of it but still that was pretty bad.

SoxFan76
03-11-2004, 07:59 PM
terrence long and robin ventura

VeeckAsInWreck
03-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by seventytwo
I'm pretty sure the Juan Marichal thing happened before the ESPN era as well. :D:

That was going to be my response too.

Oops, I don't know what the heck I was thinking. For whatever reason I forgot that ESPN wasn't around until 1979. As Hawk would say

:hawk
Someone had a brain cramp

Thanks JohnJeter for posting the story. It's interesting that Koufax would refuse to throw at a batter. I know that Drysdale would have had no problem at all.

Also, didn't the Orioles and Mariners have a bloody fight in '93?

StockdaleForVeep
03-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
They didn't involve sucker punches, but the 2 worst I've seen are (1) when Dave Dravecky broke his arm after throwing a pitch (I think it was after he had cancer surgery on it & it was amputated); and (2) Wilbur Wood being hit in the kneecap with a line drive & the kneecap broke in half. Both were pretty disgusting

i did mean like illigal type actions against people but that works too, i still shudder when i watched this high school clip and a running backs leg folded forward at the shin, ala joe theisemann

doublem23
03-11-2004, 10:18 PM
That Tigers/Sox brawl in '00 was pretty bad... Weaver coming out the clubhouse. Jag-off.

duke of dorwood
03-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Pete Rose bowling over Ray Fosse in an All Star game was not called for.

The Marichal thuggery was definately the worst.

Then there's the mugging of Cubs Jim Brewer by Billy Martin

And , of course, William Legue

faneidde
03-12-2004, 01:04 AM
I gotta go with the earthquake before the start of the Bay Area Series. That was one of my first non White Sox baseball memories. A close second would be the line drive off the face of Ishii.

npdempse
03-12-2004, 01:49 AM
The killing of Ray Chapman by spitball, historically, has to be one of the most disgusting moments (though by all accounts it was unintentional).

In recent memory, Clemens throwing the barrel of the bat at Piazza was pretty rude, though not without some humor value.

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 02:52 AM
I found it unnerving when that shortstop went out into left field for a blooper and got hit by a car.

Also, when that baserunner was mauled by a tiger upon sliding into second.

And who could forget that time when Ken Griffey was decapitated by the fence while robbing a homer.

Howwww a-bout that?!

ihatethecubs
03-12-2004, 02:54 AM
most disguisting baseball moment: the bartman ball destruction ceremonies

StockdaleForVeep
what about enrico pulaso's rendition of the national anthem and reggie jackson almost killin the queen?

batmanZoSo
Seriously though, the worst thing I ever saw was Dave Dravecky breaking his arm while pitching to time Raines of the Expos. He actually heard it snap from the plate.

Geoff Jenkins slide into third a few years ago was nasty. It equaled Robins home plate slide in ST 97.

StockdaleForVeep
03-12-2004, 04:14 AM
not really disgusting but terrifying, that one game when arod slid into second, got kneed in the face breaking up the double play and his back foot and head touched each other, that was some wicked contortion

TommyJohn
03-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Two disgusting baseball moments:

Herb Score getting hit in the eye by a line shot off the bat of Gil
McDougald.

Tony Conigliaro getting beaned by Jack Hamilton in 1967.

MarkEdward
03-12-2004, 12:33 PM
As a White Sox fan (and baseball fan in general), I think I would have been extremely disgusted with the 1920 season. With the Black Sox scandal coming into view, I think it would've been extremely hard to remain a Sox fan during this time.

HebrewHammer
03-12-2004, 01:11 PM
I remember a few years back a college pitcher by the name of Ben Christiansen beaned a guy in the head so badly he almost lost an eye, only problem was he was standing in the on deck circle. That's the worst example of thuggery by a ballplayer, if you have to do something like that do it between the lines where a guy has a chance to protect himself or duck out of the way. If I remember correctly Christiansen was a fairly high draft pick of the Cubs, apparently he has about as much talent as he does class.

FanOf14
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Besides all of the accurate suggestions (didn't want to use 'good' as my adjective - it doesn't seem right), one that comes to mind is the Ozzie - Tim Raines hit where Ozzie blew up his knee.

Dick Allen
03-12-2004, 04:12 PM
1) The Marichal-Roseboro incident

2) Al Cowens running to the mound to mug Ed Farmer instead of running to 1st base on a ground ball back in 1979 or 1980 - I hate the Tigers

3)The two retards about to burn the American flag before Rick Monday rescued it.

Randar68
03-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Dang it seventytwo that was going to be my nomination. That or Kendall's injury a few years ago.

Maybe it was this
:nolanventura

Before all that was Moises Alou caught in a run-down, stopping, then having his ankle just snap and hang limp to one side...

UGH!

Randar68
03-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
I remember a few years back a college pitcher by the name of Ben Christiansen beaned a guy in the head so badly he almost lost an eye, only problem was he was standing in the on deck circle. That's the worst example of thuggery by a ballplayer, if you have to do something like that do it between the lines where a guy has a chance to protect himself or duck out of the way. If I remember correctly Christiansen was a fairly high draft pick of the Cubs, apparently he has about as much talent as he does class.

In terms of the intended actions being disgusting, I agree. That was maybe the most cowardly act I can think of in baseball.

tebman
03-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
1) The Marichal-Roseboro incident

2) Al Cowens running to the mound to mug Ed Farmer instead of running to 1st base on a ground ball back in 1979 or 1980 - I hate the Tigers

3)The two retards about to burn the American flag before Rick Monday rescued it.

I was at that game in 1980 when Al Cowens jumped Ed Farmer.
It was weird for me because I was the organizer of a group of
about 50 people from work who went to the game. We sat in
the upper deck over third base, and I remember the play.
Cowens hit a ground ball to short; I was following the ball, and
noticed that SS Todd Cruz hesitated on his throw. I looked
toward first and saw Cowens and Farmer rolling off the mound!
Very bizarre.

My co-workers gave me a hard time at the end of the night
because the game took longer than it should have because
of the fight. A lot of those folks were at a MLB game for the
first time and grumbled about the distraction of the brawl.

You can't please everybody, but it makes a great story to tell
all these years later. Ah, y'can't beat fun at the old ballpark! :gulp:

- tebman

batmanZoSo
03-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
In terms of the intended actions being disgusting, I agree. That was maybe the most cowardly act I can think of in baseball.

Is anyone surprised that Christensen never amounted to anything? It's called karma.

My cousin runs a painting business if you're out there listening, Ben.

Irishsox1
03-12-2004, 04:40 PM
The Jason Kendall ankle blow-out at first base almost made me puke, and I'm not kidding.

However, the fastball that went off Sosa's head last year was pretty wild. I was watching the game and when he got plunked, I thought that we would be out for months, however with his brain all pumped up on 'roids he was able to bounce back. Baseball needs Sammy and his exciting brand of America's pasttime pumped up on steroids.

Dick Allen
03-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
The Jason Kendall ankle blow-out at first base almost made me puke, and I'm not kidding.

However, the fastball that went off Sosa's head last year was pretty wild. I was watching the game and when he got plunked, I thought that we would be out for months, however with his brain all pumped up on 'roids he was able to bounce back. Baseball needs Sammy and his exciting brand of America's pasttime pumped up on steroids. It hit him in the head, what damage could possibly be done? :D:

jackbrohamer
03-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by tebman
I was at that game in 1980 when Al Cowens jumped Ed Farmer.

After that game the Sox Maniacs made up a big sign that said "Cowans the Coward" and displayed it when he batted.

jackbrohamer
03-12-2004, 05:29 PM
How about Dick McAuliffe of the Tigers charging Tommy John on the mound in about 1967 & dislocating John's shoulder. IIRC Sports Illustrated put photos of the attack on one of its covers and it looked pretty gruesome.

hellenicsoxfan
03-13-2004, 02:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by duke of dorwood
[B]Pete Rose bowling over Ray Fosse in an All Star game was not called for.

His money must have been on the NL that game.

Railsplitter
03-13-2004, 08:34 AM
I would have to go with TY Cobb jumping into the stand at New York's Hilltop Park in 1912. The man he beat up had lost both hands in an industrial accident. The handless man may or may not have been heckling Cobb, but even if he were, Cobb's reaction was uncalled for.

I can't understand why Disco Destruction Night hasn't been mentioned. Okay, so Steve Dahl didn't like disco. Others did and still others (like myself) never cared one way or the other.

StockdaleForVeep
03-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I would have to go with TY Cobb jumping into the stand at New York's Hilltop Park in 1912. The man he beat up had lost both hands in an industrial accident. The handless man may or may not have been heckling Cobb, but even if he were, Cobb's reaction was uncalled for.

I can't understand why Disco Destruction Night hasn't been mentioned. Okay, so Steve Dahl didn't like disco. Others did and still others (like myself) never cared one way or the other.

Would you call disco demolition really a baseball moment? It happened between games and had nothin to do with baseball other than bein in the park and then causin the forfeit.

Another disgustin moment(s) im thinkin of has been the rash of people running on the field to attack players\umpires\coaches. I forget who but there was a player in centre field and some freak jumped the wall and came on the field to come after him, i forget where\what it was. That and JD drew gettin batteries thrown at him in Philadelphia

kittle545feet
03-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
They didn't involve sucker punches, but the 2 worst I've seen are (1) when Dave Dravecky broke his arm after throwing a pitch (I think it was after he had cancer surgery on it & it was amputated); and (2) Wilbur Wood being hit in the kneecap with a line drive & the kneecap broke in half. Both were pretty disgusting i remember the dravecky pitch quite well. i felt so bad for him. but nothing compares to robin ventura's injury in the spring training game about 6 years ago. there were people passing out in the stands it was so terrible. i know all i have to do is think of it and i get queasy. at least it didn't hurt his speed. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-14-2004, 12:29 PM
The worst I saw at the park was probably in 2001 when Frank Thomas drilled some Indians pitcher with a line drive during a Monday night game. He must have been down for 30 minutes.

Wsoxmike59
03-14-2004, 12:53 PM

Cobb was suspended for that act of brutality, and his teammates went on STRIKE in support and solidarity of Ty Cobb. The Tigers fielded a team of replacement players (one of them was Billy Maharg who later shows up in White Sox history as Sleepy Billy Burns best friend and cronie during the Black Sox scandal) who promptly went out and got destroyed in the following game.

A.L. President Ban Johnson ordered the Tiger players back to work after their one day strike on the threat that they'd all be banished from the game.

jabrch
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
I'd say the Ben Christensen thing was the worst ever. He should have been jailed and on the permanently banned from baseball list for what he did.

As far as Rose and Fosse - what was wrong with that? Fosse was blocking the plate. Rose gave it to him good. Just cuz it was an all-star game doesn't mean Rose was going to let up on Ray. If Fosse didn't want to get hit - he should have moved out of the way of Rose - who clearly wasn't slowing down. Am I missing something here?

faneidde
03-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by HebrewHammer
That happened right down in my neck of the woods, Evansville. Actually, I think the game was at Whiticha St., but the guy beaned was Molina for UE. That guy was all over the news for weeks. Molina, iir, did eventually regain full vision in his right eye, but he is legally blind in the other that he got hit in. The jerk who hit him and his ass of a coach both initially tried to defend the action as normal baseball. They both claimed it was common practice to throw at guys standing in the on deck circle trying to time pitches, but he didn't mean to hit him. As soon as the national media got wind of it, they dropped that BS and started with the I'm sorry. That pitcher used to be a Cub, don't know if he still is. Oh well, another reason to hate the Cubs.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Most Disgusting Moment? I think Jerry Reinsdorfs role
in the 1994 Strike that Cost the White Sox their 1st
World Series Appearance, has to be in the top10 of Disgusting Moments.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Amazingly enough, Jerry Reinsdorf again makes the Top10 Most Disgusting Moment in baseball
for his role in the White Flag Trade in 1997

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:09 AM
A Very Disgusting Moment in my book, also would have to be Jerry Reinsdorfs Attitude towards building a Better White Sox Squad this past season. Basically said he couldnt afford a better team, and quickly moved to "trade" some of his best players, (whom of course, were all sought after by the uppercrust of teams) THEN, putting the Onus on the FANS,
implying that if they "show up", they'll put a better team out
there midseason. Disgusting

Mohoney
03-15-2004, 02:03 AM
No question. The "Great Home Run Chase" of 1998.

Gut-wrenching.

Asterisks, anyone?

StockdaleForVeep
03-15-2004, 02:35 AM
if intentional, id say clemens' headhunting piazza and then the insuing actions afterwards is in the top 5

batmanZoSo
03-15-2004, 02:47 AM

Disco Demolition was very necessary. To me, it was worth the loss.

I propose Pop/hip-hop demolition this summer at the Cell.

Long live ROCK...

Mohoney
03-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Disco Demolition was very necessary. To me, it was worth the loss.

I propose Pop/hip-hop demolition this summer at the Cell.

Long live ROCK...

My hero.

Nick@Nite
03-15-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm disgusted anytime the NY Yankees take the field... best team money can buy.

Btw, for those who admire George Steinbrenner, spare me the "he wants to win at any cost" replies. His fascist approach to revenue sharing is the biggest killjoy in the game today, imo.

KingXerxes
03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland should get some sort of mention here. It was about thirty years ago, but it still makes me shake my head wondering what the Indians organization was thinking when they did it.

Hangar18
03-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
No question. The "Great Home Run Chase" of 1998.

Gut-wrenching.

Asterisks, anyone?

YES. The Way the Media kept saying "baseball was saved"
when in reality, all it did was let the impending labor agreement
fly under the radar. I tell cubbie fans all the time, "If Sammy Saved baseball, why are the Pirates Marlins and Reds giving away all their players"

Jerko
03-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Any time the Cubs win vs. the Sox.