PDA

View Full Version : Steroid in Sox organization?

SoxBoy14
03-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Does anyone here think that any of the Sox players are doing steroids? I dont think so but i just wanted to see what other people thought. Awhile ago some idiot cub fan was ranting on how Frank takes them, but he's been that big since 1991. Unlike sosa who gained about 50 pounds in muscle right when he joined the cubs.

sas1974
03-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
Does anyone here think that any of the Sox players are doing steroids? I dont think so but i just wanted to see what other people thought. Awhile ago some idiot cub fan was ranting on how Frank takes them, but he's been that big since 1991. Unlike sosa who gained about 50 pounds in muscle right when he joined the cubs.

I couldn't personally pick out anyone on our team. All of the big guys seem to have pudgy physiques like the players in the 80's used to have. None of them seem ripped, with the exception of maybe Rowand or Borchard.

Bobby Thigpen
03-11-2004, 04:24 PM
I can pretty much say with 100% certainty that he isn't, but if I was a fan of another team and I compared photos of when he was signed until now, by choice would have to go with Maggs. He's about as close to ripped as anyone on the Sox gets.

But then again if we're going with ex-Sox my vote would obviously have to go with Rick White.

sas1974
03-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
But then again if we're going with ex-Sox my vote would obviously have to go with Rick White.

I think Colon and David Wells may have been juicin' too. I am glad we got rid of them to avoid any controversy.

seventytwo
03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Why do you think Carlos Castillo was cut yesterday?

SoxBoy14
03-11-2004, 04:33 PM
I think that now that MLB is cracking down on steroids, the sox will benifit. The sox dont rely on power hitting and as far as i can tell no one does steroids. The crackdown will weaken other teams. I predict that the giants will have a terrible year.

seventytwo
03-11-2004, 04:38 PM
SoxBoy14, welcome to WSI. I love your sig, but I have to say: since when do the Sox not rely on power hitting?

Ozzie may (may!) try to change that, but what happens in reality remains to be seen.

SoxBoy14
03-11-2004, 04:42 PM
I admit that compared to other teams in their divison, the sox rely on power hitting. But, compared to teams like the Giants and the Yankees the sox dont power hit. Also, the sox dont seem to try and sign power hitters (besides Lee)

KingXerxes
03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to think that almost every team has a number of players on it who are (or were) taking steroids.

Randar68
03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I admit that compared to other teams in their divison, the sox rely on power hitting. But, compared to teams like the Giants and the Yankees the sox dont power hit. Also, the sox dont seem to try and sign power hitters (besides Lee)

Now I think you're confusing yourself...

Albert Belle???

Frank???

Maggs???

Konerko???

Lee???

By the end of this year, I'm comfortable you will be able to add Crede to this list and possibly Borchard somewhere down the line.

The Sox have mostly base-clogging "power-hitters" and have a significant lack of OBP-speed hitters to set the table for those hitters.

Randar68
03-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I couldn't personally pick out anyone on our team. All of the big guys seem to have pudgy physiques like the players in the 80's used to have. None of them seem ripped, with the exception of maybe Rowand or Borchard.

If Borchard has ever taken them, it must have been in college. He's tall and has a good frame to build on, and Minor League players are subject to drug testing. Borchard has been the same size since he was drafted.

You really have to look more closely at players weho have had non-typical body growth or development...
Frankly, I think blind speculation is pretty irresponsible on anyone's part.

Thunderstruck30
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

None of them seem ripped, with the exception of maybe Rowand or Borchard.

Dont forget Olivo. I saw him at SoxFest and the muscles in his chest were just bulging out.

ode to veeck
03-11-2004, 09:57 PM
none of the sox are on steroids, but the owner sure acts like he's on drugs

BMAC3520
03-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I just wanted to chime in on the steroid thing because it's getting so out of hand. I'm not going to go into any specifics because it's not my place but it just seems like there's too much speculation. There are steroids in baseball but it's not near as much as some people are going around saying. I don't like the speculation into each big guy on the White Sox team because even if they're all doing it except one, and that one got large and powerful on his own, it descredits that player to even have his name mentioned in the same category. You have to remember that there are some big human beings who combined with recent supplement technology and weight lifting advances, can get even bigger and stronger. Professional athletes tend to be bigger people, with a tremendous drive to get stronger. To someone who isn't around this atmosphere day in and day out the easiest thing to assume is well, "he juiced" when in reality he worked his ass off and accomplished something. If you had a chance to see some of these guys work out and the effort they put forth, it would blow some away. With that I'm also not saying that everyone is clean and we should all stop talking about it, it does need to be cleaned up. My wish is that people will just wait for results to come out before attacking or even speculating about any player. I would hate for a clean player's rep to be the least bit tarnished because someone on a message board happened to mention his name in connection. I don't want to offend anyone on this board with this, and trust me, I don't mean to, I just have been reading so much speculation about steroids that I thought i would at least drop in my two cents.

rahulsekhar
03-11-2004, 10:31 PM
If clean players don't want their names associated with steroids, then they should be pushing their union for more stringent testing and penalties to prevent guys from using and to better identify those that do and those that don't.

If they're not willing to do that, then it's their own fault if they get tarred with that brush.

BMAC3520
03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
There are a lot of players who are pushing for it. You just have to realize that it's only a small percentage of players who make the decisions, the younger guys (the majority) don't have a whole lot of say. But i do see your point.

Daver
03-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BMAC3520
There are a lot of players who are pushing for it. You just have to realize that it's only a small percentage of players who make the decisions, the younger guys (the majority) don't have a whole lot of say. But i do see your point.

The younger players are also used to testing,it is allowed in the minor league system,to paint them with the same brush would be doing them a diservice.

For what it is worth,all of this talk about steroids will amount to a hill of beans when all is said and done,because there is no way to test when a player used them and when he didn't.

In the end this will turn out to be a witch hunt that has no basis in fact,and no one will be able to prove a damn thing.Testing will not prove what was done in the past.

Rex Hudler
03-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The younger players are also used to testing,it is allowed in the minor league system,to paint them with the same brush would be doing them a diservice.

For what it is worth,all of this talk about steroids will amount to a hill of beans when all is said and done,because there is no way to test when a player used them and when he didn't.

In the end this will turn out to be a witch hunt that has no basis in fact,and no one will be able to prove a damn thing.Testing will not prove what was done in the past.

Daver, we finally agree. ;-)

I don't want to speak for you, but I don't want people to think that line of thinking says testing is not a good thing. The issue can't be ignored and unfortunately finger pointing is going to exist until there is a legitimate, serious testing program set forth, with real penalties. If that ever happens, we can move forward and make this a non-issue again.