PDA

View Full Version : Salute to Jamie Navarro week?

StockdaleForVeep
03-11-2004, 02:32 PM
For some odd reason last 2 times i put on classic sports ive seen jamie navarro pitchin, first time was opening day for the scrubs i guess(i forget what year but was durin one of the sandberg era's) and now they got sox\baltimore with navarro starting? Like the 7 days of christmas, is this the 7 days of Navarro?(i gotta admit, it was humorous listening to Harry Carey discuss Jamie Navarro and remembering how little harry did call a game)

JoeyCora28
03-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the warning...

I don't need to be reminded about Jamie's stellar years with the Sox.

I just remember that it seemed like every game I went to in those years, he was the starter and he ALWAYS got shelled in the first couple of innings. Game over...

RKMeibalane
03-11-2004, 02:50 PM
"They didn't score until the eighth inning. I can't hit for these guys!" -Jame Navarro, following a Sox 9-3 loss, in which Navarro gave up all nine runs, each of which was earned.

Frater Perdurabo
03-11-2004, 02:53 PM
All I remember about the great Jamie Navarro is that the Sox bypassed signing the washed-up, inferior, overworked, ready for retirement Roger Clemens to get Navarro. :angry:

cubhater
03-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Don't get me started on this loser! :angry:

Navarro was the WORST signing in Sox history! One good year with the Cubs and he becomes our paper ace? I can't count the number of games he blew a big lead, stunk up the place from the first batter, and whined about everything. My favorite memory of the Navarro era was the outfield fans keeping track of his performance one evening (.....BB, H, H, WP, 2H, BB, H, HR, HBP, etc.) which made TV and the paper.

Let's not forget he was part of JR's fan friendly team which included Belle and Cordero

jackbrohamer
03-11-2004, 05:16 PM
It's a good example of how Reinsdorf operates. The guy was terrible but, dammit, he's getting paid to pitch & he's going to keep pitching no matter how bad he is!

I went to a Sox/Yankees game on Memorial Day in '97 or '98, he gave up about 9 runs before the first inning was over. Before a pretty full house. It was one of his better performances.

StockdaleForVeep
03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
know what terrified me even more? When he was traded to COLORADO! I dont know his numbers there but is it possible he coulda done WORSE?!?! Or maybe 2 forces cancel each other out and Navarro's suckiness mighta canceled out the thin air making him a stud pitcher.

JohnJeter
03-11-2004, 06:34 PM
It's JAIME Navarro. Show some respect d***it.

santo=dorf
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
It's JAIME Navarro. Show some respect d***it.

That always bothered me too. Just like the people who keep talking about Marvin "Bernard."

jackbrohamer
03-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
That always bothered me too. Just like the people who keep talking about Marvin "Bernard."

Or as the local media refers to him "White Sox player Marvin Benard"

RKMeibalane
03-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Here is the line on Jaime Navarro from May 25, 1998:

IP H HR R ER BB K
0.1 5 0 6 5 2 0

New York won this ballgame by the score of 12-0.

thecell
03-12-2004, 01:28 PM
What's the deal with everyone busting Navarro's balls? The guy pitched his ass off everytime he went to the hill. We would be lucky to have an impact pitcher half as effective as Navarro on our roster right now!

RichFitztightly
03-12-2004, 01:34 PM
The signing of Jaime Navarro marked the first time I realized I had more baseball sense than some of the front office people.

poorme
03-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I thought they should have signed Alex Fernandez. But I guess that wouldn't have worked out so well either.

jackbrohamer
03-12-2004, 02:14 PM
When they signed Navarro, Scheuler compared his numbers to Fernandez' and said that they were similar pitchers. What an idiot. At least Fernandez can blame injuries for his downfall

Lip Man 1
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Of course Alex also won what 18 games (counting the playoffs) in 97 before he got hurt. That was greater then any single season jamie ever had with the Sox.

Lip

RKMeibalane
03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Of course Alex also won what 18 games (counting the playoffs) in 97 before he got hurt. That was greater then any single season jamie ever had with the Sox.

Lip

Did Jaime even manage to win eighteen games combined during his three seasons with the Sox? He was awful.