PDA

View Full Version : Sox on ESPN Classic

RKMeibalane
03-11-2004, 01:35 PM
The Sox are on ESPN Classic right now. The game is from April 23, 1997, featuring the Sox and Baltimore Orioles. The score is tied 2-2 in the second inning.

Medford Bobby
03-11-2004, 02:00 PM
It's part of an All-Day salute to Boom Boom Bevington's career and his overall impact on the White Sox in the late 90's and how the Jerry Manuel error (era) was meant to put us to sleep and forget about Boom-Boom. :whiner:

sas1974
03-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
It's part of an All-Day salute to Boom Boom Bevington's career and his overall impact on the White Sox in the late 90's and how the Jerry Manuel error (era) was meant to put us to sleep and forget about Boom-Boom. :whiner:

A salute to Bevington? Did he die or something?

Foulke You
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Not sure what the significance of this game is. According to Baseball Library the Sox won this game 11-9. Tony Castillo (man did he suck) picked up the win for the Pale Hose and Armando Benitez got the loss for the O's. Perhaps this is just a Cal Ripken thing?

benjamin
03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Big Frank where he belongs... playing first base.

Deadguy
03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by benjamin
Big Frank where he belongs... playing first base.

I just turned it on, and see Brady Anderson make it to first on a booted ball by Frank. Although the announcers seem to defend Thomas on that play, Frank still seemed pretty pissed.

What exactly is so "classic" about this game?

Deadguy
03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Navarro gives up a game tying grand slam, and the game is tied 9-9 in the 7th, and Bevington leaves him in the game?

I think I remember watching this game, and 7 years later, I still want to strangle Navarro. One of the worst Free Agent Signings in the history of baseball.

Chrisaway
03-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes Karkovice!!!

The man-lobster lives!!

soltrain21
03-11-2004, 03:57 PM
That was a nice play by Ozzie in the 10th..

npdempse
03-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
That was a nice play by Ozzie in the 10th..

Followed by a nice razzing of O's fans.

Lip Man 1
03-11-2004, 08:20 PM
The significance of the game was that the Sox blew a 9 run lead before winning it. The theme the past few days has been great comebacks.

Lip

Thunderstruck30
03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The theme the past few days has been great comebacks.

Lip

Then they should put on the 8-0 comeback vs the Cubs in 02.

chisoxjk
03-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

Possibly one of the greatest games I have been to. At first, nothing but trash talk from all of the scrubs
fans around me.

But the Sox kept getting closer and closer. And Comiskey kept getting louder and louder. The cheers that
went up when we took the lead was just amazing. Looking around and seeing every Sox fan on their
feet, as loud as can be. And, just as enjoyable, seeing every scrub fan, sitting on their hands with this
blank look on their faces.

Sox Win!!! Cubs Lose!!!! Another perfect day.

Blueprint1
03-12-2004, 01:57 AM
dude the 8-0 come back was one of the greatest games of all time. I was late coming to the game because I had training for my work and could not make it through the traffic and all the way to the game on my nextel i heard trash talk after trash talk from a cubs fan that was going to be sitting next to me. When i got to the game We were still down by i think 6 runs I felt terrible being next to this guy. I remember him saying remember this is Kerry Wood he can loose control at any time. Well he was right about that. I remember right after Paul hit that big home run this cub fan saying that he had to leave the game to go to dinner with his wife. I will give credit where credit is due the cub fan admits that was one of the greatest baseball games he has ever been to. He thinks its funny the amount of trash he talked before I got to the game.

sas1974
03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
That game was awesome! I remember feeling like someone punched me in the stomach being down 8-0. I was there w/ a couple of Sox fans and a couple of Cubs fans. The Cubs fans had this big stupid grin on their faces and I remember warning them that it was still VERY EARLY. Guess who was grinning when it was all over? ME! THAT'S WHO!! :D:

Railsplitter
03-12-2004, 03:23 PM
ESPN classic likes to show things that have been sitting in the vaults in Bristol. How else does that explain USFL games?

mantis1212
03-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

Oh god yes, that was beautiful! I watched it via the tribune website "from the cubicle" which was pretty cool considering I was at work. I had tickets to 5 of the 6 Sox-Cubs games that year. Guess which one I didn't get to go to?? :whiner:

Foulke You
03-12-2004, 04:06 PM
That 8-0 comeback game against the Cubs was special. It was so unexpected. The team was absolutely dead in the water from the get go. Royce Clayton made a big E6 in the 1st inning on a routine DP ball that allowed the Cubs to have a big inning. For the first few innings, the team was as flat as could be. Prototype Jerry Manuel Sox baseball.

I was sitting in LF and me and all of the Sox fans around were being taunted (tortured) by these idiot Cubs fans that were literally dancing in the aisles after the Cubs went up 8-0. One moron in a Sosa jersey even got right in my ear (I was in the aisle seat and they happened to be dancing like loons in the aisle...where was security??) and he asked me what was wrong with my team in a mocking tone. All I told him was "it's still early". Sure enough, our boys mounted the biggest comeback I've ever seen. The faces on those same dancing Cubs fans went ghostly white when Konerko's second homer sailed towards us in LF to put the Sox on top 10-8. Those dancing Cub fans were serenaded with "Na Na Na HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE" at the game's conclusion by all the Sox fans in our section. Ahhh the memories. :D:

ChiSox14305635
03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Oh man, that 8-0 comeback game is one of the best comebacks ever! I was at work following the game on MLB Gameday, and to watch that huge Cubbie lead evaporate was a sheer thing of beauty. 3/4 of that office were Cubbie fans, and the sheer fact that they couldn't wait to get back on the phones to screaming customers after that Konerko shot was priceless!

Thunderstruck30
03-13-2004, 01:22 AM
I went to that game and later on when I was back at home I taped it since the replay was on. I watch that game every once in awhile. Ill never get rid of that tape. I need to convert it to DVD.