PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 3/11/04

Hangar18
03-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Out with some people last nite for some drinks. I was at
my table when a group of guys came in and sat at a table next to us. 2 of the 3 were wearing cub junk, one guy sporting the new bright red cub hat, another in a BLACK & SILVER cub hat. Walking to the bathroom, they noticed my SOX practice shirt on and all stared at me glazingly. I mentioned to the hat wearers that I didnt know the cubs changed their colors to Black & Silver.
"hey, your a SOX fan" mentioned the one, and they snickered.
I said hey, at least you dont see SOX fans wearing cub colored hats around town.

CubFan 1: dude, your hatin' on us cuz were going to the
World Series this year
CubFan 2: If you guys start going to your games, maybe you
guys can get to series someday
(all 3 snicker some more)
Hangar: You guys keep mocking fate and you dont learn do you?
CubFan3: what are you talking about dude (snickers more)
Hangar: All that goat is dead, curse is over nonsense, believing the hype......didnt get to WS did you guys? (i snicker)
CubFan1: whatever dude, were going to the Series man. You guys cant even keep your players (all snicker, mock magglio chant, makes me a bit angry)
Hangar: Your not Going Anywhere if your Messiahs injury keeps him out
CubFan1: Messiah? what are you talking about?
CubFan2: (to CF1) hes talking about prior man ...
Hangar: Achilles injuries are the toughest to overcome (snicker)
CubFan1: Priors hurt? (Look of terror and seriousness on face)
CubFan2: yeah man, but its not a big deal, hes only missing a start......big deal
CubFan1: when did this happen? (very serious)
CubFan2: man, its not a big deal. sox fans trying to make it worse than it is, i read in the paper hes alrite, hes just missing a start
CubFan3: hey man, achilles injuries are very serious (mentions some college player with injury)
CubFan1: (hearing CF3 achilles explanation) What the F*** man! this sucks. when did this happen? F**** man (very peturbed)
CubFan2: im telling you, its not serioius, hes not gonna miss anything man (notices me smirking) this guys just pulling your leg man, dont worry about it
CubFan3: we could just sign a pitcher, no big deal
CubFan1: we could get that one guy.....whats his name...
CubFan2: who?
CubFan1: that one guy, hes on the pirates, hes good man....
we could just go get him man .....what the F**** is his name....
CubFan3: I know who your talking about.....he used to be on the "sux" right?
CubFan2: dude, we cant get that guy, i know who he is...
CubFan1: hey sox fan, whos that guy that was on your team, traded to the pirates
Hangar: (Mockingly) David Wells
CubFan1: dude, wells kicks ass. we could just trade with the Pirates and get him for a month til Priors ok again
CubFan2: hes pretty good, i like him but.....
CubFan3: just need him to get innings
CubFan1: hes kind of a fat A**, but he'd want to play for the cubs
CubFan2: wait, that wasnt the guy.....
CubFan3: yeah, that was him. wait, didnt the pirates trade him to the yankees?
Hangar: Im kidding guys......it was Kip Wells

rest of conversation was inane, as they mixed up players, came up with mock world series line-ups, and who they could just "get" from other teams ......I Tsk Tsk'd them, and muttered GoSOX as I left ...... (were nice enough to buy me a beer, i believe out of respect) CF1: got to give you credit man, for wearing that shirt man

delben91
03-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Man, you put up with them much better than I would've. Makes me glad to live out here on the East Coast, we don't have to deal with any "hardcore" Cubs fans. Mainly I get people that ask, "Do you really like the Sox? Or do you just wear their stuff because they have cool colors?" Annoying in its own right, but no where near what you guys in Chicago have to put up with. More power to you Hangar, here's one on me... :gulp:

Hangar18
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
every day that goes by, those fans just do something, anything
that proves just how Dumb they really are

CubKilla
03-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
of you know, I try to wear something SOX related in an
Act of Defiance to the Chicago Media.

I always wear something Sox related..... especially to sports bars..... and no Cub fan has ever messed with me. I did wear my "Cubs Suck" shirt one time though. While I was at the urinal tapping the keg for the first time that night after 4 or 5 beers, a dude asked me, "Are you a Cardinal fan or a Sox fan?" I said, "What do you think considering we're on the far Southside?" I expected some BS..... considering the question was after the sCrUB Choke of '03. All he came up with was the requisite, "The Cubs are going to the Series this year man!" I countered with, "We'll see," and left.

It has been my experience that dealing with 95% Cub fans is a huge waste of time. They don't know baseball and all they seem to be concerned about is attendance.

maurice
03-11-2004, 12:25 PM
That was rich. It's great fun to drive cub fans crazy with actual facts. I never considered how well it would work to invent some stuff. Even cub fans know that Sox fans are much more knowledgeable about baseball and take pretty much anything we say at face value.

Tekijawa
03-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I sat and watched Game 4 of the NLCS in my Sox Jersey at Durkins (Halsted and Diversey) I only had one Cubs fans say something... He asked if I was a Sox fan and I asked if he was a detective. He said some thing smart about I bet you wish you were going ot the world series and I said the same thing back... little did he know that it would all fall apart...

P.S. It helps to be a rather tall (6'7") and large (230) Pollack when doing this as most cubs fans are about 5'6" and 175 dripping wet. The male Cubs fans are a little smaller.

I just gave a guy I work with the Prior Article with a goat picture attached to it... This might be a tolorabel season yet!

Frater Perdurabo
03-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
P.S. It helps to be a rather tall (6'7") and large (230) Pollack when doing this as most cubs fans are about 5'6" and 175 dripping wet. The male Cubs fans are a little smaller.

LOL

Although I don't want to see anyone injured, if and when a Sox fan brings up the Prior injury to a Cubs fan, just tell them that it must have been what caused him to melt down in Game 6 of the NLCS last year.

PINWHEELS
03-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Hanger is seems to me that you have these encounters quite a bit. And they are all funny stories!

depy48
03-11-2004, 01:16 PM
I've had my fair share of conversations with know-nothing cubs fans. I just gets me so upset because they dont know what the heck they're babbling about. I wear my sox everywhere, its a batting practice style hat. At least twice a week, i'll wear a sox shirt, or my Colon jersey. I let myself be known as a whitesox fan everywhere i go. I'm just upset i left my "southside roadkill" shirt at home. Such a classy shirt!

blackjack29
03-11-2004, 01:21 PM
I was curious, has anyone out there every gotten into a fight over a Sox-Scrubs debate. I know it seems stupid to actually throw punches over it, but there have been a couple of times when stupid Scrub fans run their mouth and a fight or two have broken out, usually a lot of beer is involved, too.

thepaulbowski
03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by blackjack29
I was curious, has anyone out there every gotten into a fight over a Sox-Scrubs debate. I know it seems stupid to actually throw punches over it, but there have been a couple of times when stupid Scrub fans run their mouth and a fight or two have broken out, usually a lot of beer is involved, too.

I've seen many a fights in the bleachers and the bathrooms during Cubs/Sox games at Sox Park. I won't say which side usually wins :D:

Hangar18
03-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
Hanger is seems to me that you have these encounters quite a bit. And they are all funny stories!

Ive had these run-ins with flubby fans since I was a kid. Argueing sox vs cubs.
As the years went by, I remember thinking to myself, man these people are pretty stupid and being surprised at the shocking disparity of knowledge of south side fans to north side fans.
I got to thinking, Man how in the world can One teams set of fans Be THAT INCREDIBLY DUMB about anything baseball related and otherwise? Think about it, how could that possibly happen? Well, an INcredible set of circumstances.

The 1980's. Pretty much cemented my views of them, because the numbers became even more disparate. Seems that in the 1980's during the Cubbie Fan Explosion, the huge
numbers of new fans were just as Dumb and Dumber than their predecessors. It obviously was a generational thing in the beginning (what you sow, so shall you reap) but with the MEDIA
manufacturing of the cubbie lore, along with the "Mtv-ification" of Wrigley, the "great fans" (how many times do you see a cub roadgame, where there are at least 10 gratuitious shots of cubby fans in the seats, yet never do that for the SOX on wgn), the "good times", the "sunshine and rooftops", the pretty girls "get a load of that arnie". You had an entire "pepsi generation" of fans that were being drawn to a team simply because of the cold beer and chicks. The game and knowledge went out the window in the 80's, and what your seeing now are the Seeds Sown now being Reaped.
Now we know.......something to bring up next time a cubby fan tells you theyre going to the World Series this year

cubhater
03-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Hangar, I've got a good one too! A couple years ago at the Scrubs series at Comiskey, there's a female Cub fan sitting behind me and giving me friendly crap about my Sosa-Whiff-O-Meter poster. So I asked if she's a real Cub fan and she said yes. I thought I'd see how knowledgeable she was about the team. I don't remember how all the questions I asked but she couldn't answer the last year they won the Series, who managed before Baylor, and what number Sosa wears.

The funniest response was when I asked her to name the four blocks surrounding Wrigley....."hmmmm, let's see....Clark? hmmmm, Ashland? hmmmm hmmmm duhhhhh? I don't know the other two."

cubhater
03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I've seen many a fights in the bleachers and the bathrooms during Cubs/Sox games at Sox Park. I won't say which side usually wins :D:

Your honor, it was self defense!

Walking back home on 35th Street with a couple friends after a lucky Cub win at Comiskey, some Cub fan with his friends was giving me a bunch of crap. I told him to knock it off, you guys won, congratulations, etc. He kept pestering me and guess he got pissed because I ignored him. He tried to sucker punch me. I blocked it, and instinctively swung and nailed him in the mouth. Don't know if I loosened any teeth or broke his jaw, but I ended up with two broken fingers. The sight of a Cub fan on his knees holding his bloody mouth was worth the two months I wore a cast.

daveeym
03-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
Hangar, I've got a good one too! A couple years ago at the Scrubs series at Comiskey, there's a female Cub fan sitting behind me and giving me friendly crap about my Sosa-Whiff-O-Meter poster. So I asked if she's a real Cub fan and she said yes. I thought I'd see how knowledgeable she was about the team. I don't remember how all the questions I asked but she couldn't answer the last year they won the Series, who managed before Baylor, and what number Sosa wears.

The funniest response was when I asked her to name the four blocks surrounding Wrigley....."hmmmm, let's see....Clark? hmmmm, Ashland? hmmmm hmmmm duhhhhh? I don't know the other two."

Actually most female cubs fans know more about the current team the male fans I know. Granted it's usually because they think so and so is cute and would love to run into them at a bar.

Foulke You
03-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS

LOL, I always enjoy Hangar/Cub fan encounters. :smile: They are always entertaining. I can relate totally because I have had so many similar encounters myself over the years with the blue clad sheep.

Rocky Soprano
03-11-2004, 02:06 PM
I've had a ton of arguments with Flub Fans over the years. Very few of them were with true baseball fans. Those that were have always said "hey man you know your baseball, I respect that, even if you do like the Sox."

The other 99% time the Flub fans end up getting mad cause they dont know what to say and just walk away.

Frater Perdurabo
03-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
the blue clad sheep.

Lemmings are more like it.

SoxBoy14
03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
nice job on keeping your cool :cool: . Shows how much more higher up we are compared to the degrading "flubbies". Those idiots probably had no idea who Prior was until they saw his name on some other idiots jeresy.

SoxFan76
03-11-2004, 08:13 PM
i haven't had the opprotunity to really argue with a Cubs fan. Usually there only argument is "Sox suck", so I feel I win the battle as soon as they say that. Nothing more really needs to be said. My mom's side of the family are all Cub fans, and they are the nicest people. I'm not going to argue with them about it.