PDA

View Full Version : Last beam in place on new roof

Rocky Soprano
03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Sun-Time Readers go to page 6.

They have a picture of the last beam being set into place on Wednesday.

They had a "topping out" ceremony and more than 200 workers signed the beam.

Railsplitter
03-11-2004, 10:12 AM
I hope it looks good up close.

Brian26
03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

Great news. Wonder where the beam with signatures from Soxfest will be located?

CubKilla
03-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Wonder where the beam with signatures from Soxfest will be located?

:reinsy

"Since you didn't have to pay to sign the beam, there's an old saying..... out of sight is out of mind."

Hangar18
03-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Why didnt Jimbos or some place "pay" to have the Beam put in place, had a Giant "Beaming towards the Playoffs" Party, (Jim Beam couldve sponsored this hinthint) made a ton of money for themselves, and Disguised it as "doing it for Charity"?
We couldve had this on CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, live remotes
from all the local stations, outstoried the Cubs for the entire week, and subjected to the City Of Chicago to nonsense
for a week?

anewman35
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Why didnt Jimbos or some place "pay" to have the Beam put in place, had a Giant "Beaming towards the Playoffs" Party, (Jim Beam couldve sponsored this hinthint) made a ton of money for themselves, and Disguised it as "doing it for Charity"?
from all the local stations, outstoried the Cubs for the entire week, and subjected to the City Of Chicago to nonsense
for a week?

You are INSANE if you think CNN, ESPN, or MSNBC would spend time showing something like that.

joecrede
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Pics of the ceremony are on the site. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cws)

Randar68
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

Why in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did they have a freaking tree on top of the beam as they raised it????

Iwritecode
03-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Why in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks did they have a freaking tree on top of the beam as they raised it????

Someone in the business is more qualified to answer this question but I believe there is some superstition amongst construction workers about having a tree on top of a building when building it...

jackbrohamer
03-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Something like that would involve some coordination with the Sox organization. Which has no interest whatsoever in trying to get good PR. If the Cubs had a minor ceremony like that the team, the Cubune & Harry Caray's Rest. would probably be co-sponsoring parades down State Street to celebrate.

SSN721
03-11-2004, 12:53 PM
The pictures are very nice. Glad to see that the steelwork is finished. Now I really cant wait to see the whole thing opening day. :D:

Randar68
03-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Someone in the business is more qualified to answer this question but I believe there is some superstition amongst construction workers about having a tree on top of a building when building it...

I think I'm going to bring a tree to work and stick it on my PC next time I build some code...

Iwritecode
03-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think I'm going to bring a tree to work and stick it on my PC next time I build some code...

I didn't say I understood it or that it made sense... :smile:

Personally, I have one of those little teddy bears (kind of looks like a beenie baby but it's not) wearing a Frank Thomas home White Sox uni. He's also holding a "jedi light saber" pen.

Next to that I have a stuffed "computer" that makes a sound like broken glass when you throw it against something. He's wearing a pair of my old sunglasses...

:)

Mickster
03-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Have a 12" tall stuffed Ralph Wiggum next to mine... ( complete with velcro on the finger for nose-picking) :)

ChiSox65
03-11-2004, 01:34 PM
for a week?

I like that............Rob Gallas.........watch your back!

Medford Bobby
03-11-2004, 02:03 PM
I caught the FOX32 replay last night and they had video...none on the 10pm replays on Ch 7 or 5.............. :whiner:

:gulp: Parks lookin'good............what about the team?

Iwritecode
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

It is called "topping out". I surfed around and found some different sites that talk a little bit about it.

here's one (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/release23_0503.htm)

Here's another one. (http://www.cep.unt.edu/top.html)

One more. (http://www.fairfield.k12.ct.us/mckinley/topping_out_ceremony.htm)