PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans on CNN

ihatethecubs
03-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Dont know if anyone else made note of this but they were just showing footage of John Kerry giving a speech and shaking hands of workers in Chicago from yesterday, and standing behind him during his speech was a guy in a sox BP jersey. everyone else were wearing the same blue and yellow shirts that just said "chicago" except for the guy in the sox jersey. it also showed him shaking hands with the guy and there was another guy in a sox hat. no cubbie gear was sighted! its nice to show the country what chicago is really like sometimes. Nice job representin' by a few sox fans!

Fisk Fan
03-11-2004, 07:18 AM
I saw the same thing last night on the local news. It was nice to see a Sox jersey, front and center. Kudos to that gentleman for representing us!!!!

PINWHEELS
03-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
Dont know if anyone else made note of this but they were just showing footage of John Kerry giving a speech and shaking hands of workers in Chicago from yesterday, and standing behind him during his speech was a guy in a sox BP jersey. everyone else were wearing the same blue and yellow shirts that just said "chicago" except for the guy in the sox jersey. it also showed him shaking hands with the guy and there was another guy in a sox hat. no cubbie gear was sighted! its nice to show the country what chicago is really like sometimes. Nice job representin' by a few sox fans! I also seen that, And believe it or not that was at a factory at 4500 N. Ravenswood! MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dougs78
03-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
Dont know if anyone else made note of this but they were just showing footage of John Kerry giving a speech and shaking hands of workers in Chicago from yesterday, and standing behind him during his speech was a guy in a sox BP jersey. everyone else were wearing the same blue and yellow shirts that just said "chicago" except for the guy in the sox jersey. it also showed him shaking hands with the guy and there was another guy in a sox hat. no cubbie gear was sighted! its nice to show the country what chicago is really like sometimes. Nice job representin' by a few sox fans!

It is interesting, but not that surprising considering it was Democratic rally, at a blue collar workplace.

I would bet that that there is a large DEM/GOP split between Sox and Cubs fans. However, that probably only reflects the Socioeconomic status difference between Sox and Cubs fans and even that can probalby be traced to the SES differences between the North Side and the South Side. Its still kind of interesting when you think about it. It is probably what adds to all the drama in the rivalry because to the average Sox fan, a Cubs fan represents everything they are not (i.e. politics, SES, etc).

The differences between us extend far beyond the baseball field...at least at a population mean level.

Railsplitter
03-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Hmmmmmm. Does Governer Blags (I couldn't spell his name for a million dollar jackpot and I'm in no mood to be leafing through old newspapers to find out) know about this? I believe he's a Cub fan.

Brian26
03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Great tv as I was staggering out of bed this morning. Kerry's talking about the "rotten, crooked" Republicans, then CNN runs the tape from 2000 when GWB turns to Cheney and calls a guy "a major league a--hole". Great stuff.

CubKilla
03-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Hmmmmmm. Does Governer Blags (I couldn't spell his name for a million dollar jackpot and I'm in no mood to be leafing through old newspapers to find out) know about this? I believe he's a Cub fan.

The day Blagojevich the hypocrite starts ejecting Dems from a political rally for wearing Sox jersey's will be a sad day indeed.

TommyJohn
03-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

I just call him Governor Nim-Rod.

MarqSox
03-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I would bet that that there is a large DEM/GOP split between Sox and Cubs fans. However, that probably only reflects the Socioeconomic status difference between Sox and Cubs fans and even that can probalby be traced to the SES differences between the North Side and the South Side. Its still kind of interesting when you think about it. It is probably what adds to all the drama in the rivalry because to the average Sox fan, a Cubs fan represents everything they are not (i.e. politics, SES, etc).

This has been dissected a few times over at PI ... I don't believe the split is as obvious as you may think. In fact, I would venture that there is no discernable political difference between Sox and Cubs fans. (I apologize if these stereotypes aren't PC, I'm just calling it like I see it.)

The average Cubs fan tends to be wealthier than the average Sox fan, which would imply that more Cubs fans are Republicans.

But South Siders tend to be more conservative in their religious views, which implies that more Cubs fans are Democrats.

Blacks and Hispanics have traditionally been more likely to be Sox fans, and since minorities more often than not align with the Dems, that implies that more Cubs fans are Republicans.

Based mainly on its proximity to Boystown, homosexuals more often align themselves with the Cubs, which implies that more Cubs fans are Democrats.

Besides the South Side, the majority of Sox fans reside in the West Suburbs, which is a Republican stronghold.

The Cubs have a ton of fans from Iowa and rural Illinois, people who tend to hold more conservative views.

Bridgeport is Daley country, so the Sox have plenty of Dems in their camp.

In conclusion ... there's really no logical divide, because politcally, there are plenty of contradictions between Sox and Cubs fans. Which, I think, is the way it ought to be.

dougs78
03-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
This has been dissected a few times over at PI ... I don't believe the split is as obvious as you may think. In fact, I would venture that there is no discernable political difference between Sox and Cubs fans. (I apologize if these stereotypes aren't PC, I'm just calling it like I see it.)

The average Cubs fan tends to be wealthier than the average Sox fan, which would imply that more Cubs fans are Republicans.

But South Siders tend to be more conservative in their religious views, which implies that more Cubs fans are Democrats.

Blacks and Hispanics have traditionally been more likely to be Sox fans, and since minorities more often than not align with the Dems, that implies that more Cubs fans are Republicans.

Based mainly on its proximity to Boystown, homosexuals more often align themselves with the Cubs, which implies that more Cubs fans are Democrats.

Besides the South Side, the majority of Sox fans reside in the West Suburbs, which is a Republican stronghold.

The Cubs have a ton of fans from Iowa and rural Illinois, people who tend to hold more conservative views.

In conclusion ... there's really no logical divide, because politcally, there are plenty of contradictions between Sox and Cubs fans. Which, I think, is the way it ought to be.

Despite all those, whether they are true or not, I would say they vary in the number of people they affect. I'd still bet that the mean political views of Cubs and Sox fans differs more than people might imagine.

GOC
03-12-2004, 12:15 AM

theres a lot of cubs fans in the west burbs. the majority of Sox fans reside in the south suburbs, i know that for a fact.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-12-2004, 12:27 AM

Awesome post, my entire family are Sox fans. My entire family is just about all Republicans. Inlaws and all.
I hate it on these boards when it is brought up that the Sox fans are the dems, in my family it is EXACTLY the opposite.
The liberals are the cub fans. No doubt about it.

Republican Sox fans and proud of it.

npdempse
03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
And it all just shows to go you that politics have no place in baseball. When we get to the park, we're all Americans. Or something like that.

Anyhow, yeah, personally, I'd noted with glee too the fact that there were some Sox fans there nodding in agreement as Kerry took his jabs at the GOP--finally some national publicity!

Blueprint1
03-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Yeah i am a huge sox fan and I used to work for the Republican party and I grew up in St.Charles which is a very West suburb. I am a Sox fan because my Dad is a Sox fan. That is why most s fans are Sox fans.

WinningUgly!
03-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Maybe next year, we'll all get to see John Kerry wearing a Sox jersey. Ozzie Guillen will be helping him put it on, as he welcomes the World Champion Chicago White Sox to the White House.

WinningUgly!
03-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Yeah i am a huge sox fan and I used to work for the Republican party and I grew up in St.Charles which is a very West suburb. I am a Sox fan because my Dad is a Sox fan. That is why most s fans are Sox fans.

Yeah, that's why I became a Sox fan...because your dad is. :)

Rocklive99
03-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Yeah, that's why I became a Sox fan...because your dad is.

LOL!

Originally posted by GOC

theres a lot of cubs fans in the west burbs. the majority of Sox fans reside in the south suburbs, i know that for a fact.

I agree, growing up in the west suburbs, I was one of the few with the South Side gear.

dougs78
03-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
Awesome post, my entire family are Sox fans. My entire family is just about all Republicans. Inlaws and all.
I hate it on these boards when it is brought up that the Sox fans are the dems, in my family it is EXACTLY the opposite.
The liberals are the cub fans. No doubt about it.

Republican Sox fans and proud of it.

No one is saying that all Sox fans are anything, nor that they should be. I was merely saying that in my opinion you are in the statistical minority for Sox fans. Just because you and your family are counterexamples has nothing to do with the point as a whole.

wdelaney72
03-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Maybe next year, we'll all get to see John Kerry wearing a Sox jersey. Ozzie Guillen will be helping him put it on, as he welcomes the World Champion Chicago White Sox to the White House.

And then, John Kerry's wife will say, "I've always been kind of a Sox Fan".

southsidesoxfan1
03-12-2004, 12:01 PM
The Bush crime family evil empire must be defeated. Sweet to see that sox fans are on the forefront of the battle to bring down this son of a bush.

"We're going to keep pounding, let me tell you.
We're just beginning to fight here. These guys
are the most crooked, you know, lying group
I've ever seen. It's scary."

Keep fighting Kerry!!!!

Lip Man 1
03-12-2004, 07:53 PM
If you want to talk politics do it in the political forum at WSI not here.

Lip