PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Benard, Carlos Castillo released

Jjav829
03-10-2004, 04:37 PM
I felt this deserved it's own thread in case people don't look into the game thread. Mervin Bernard and, Carlos Castillo were released today. Ryan Kohlmeier was also reassigned. I wonder how much of the Bernard steroids rumors came into play on this decision.

RichFitztightly
03-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I felt this deserved it's own thread in case people don't look into the game thread. Mervin Bernard and, Carlos Castillo were released today. Ryan Kohlmeiher was also reassigned. I wonder how much of the Bernard steroids rumors came into play on this decision.

I'd say the injury and ineffectiveness had more to do with Bernard's fate.

Unregistered
03-10-2004, 04:53 PM
I'll say it again - the only bad thing about Bernard being released is that he was called "White Sox Outfielder Marvin Bernard" for 2 weeks. As in, "WHITE SOX PLAYER NAMED AS STEROID USER".

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Two of our HUGE offseason signings released and another reassigned. This ST is off to a great start!

Happy Felsch Fan
03-10-2004, 05:36 PM
If Bernard was any good the Giants would have kept him.
Sorry to see Castillo go. Maybe he got off the diet. Very few fat pitchers left in the majors anymore.

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
Very few fat pitchers left in the majors anymore.

:XL :bcolon

"Hey! We're not fat. We're big boned."

lowesox
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
So who will our outfield reserve(s) be? Harris can play CF. Does that mean that one of Borchard or Reed will make the team too?

guillen4life13
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
^^^They wouldn't do that because (I'm assuming) Reed and Borchard need to get regular playing time in, and this wouldn't be the way to do it, unless they spell all three outfielders when needed (platoon w/ Rowand + spell Carlos Lee and Maggs when they need a break).

Come to think of it, who would be the 4th outfielder?

Maybe Chris Singleton wouldn't be such a bad idea? He was just released by the Pirates, wasn't he?

Jerry_Manuel
03-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I'd assume their looking at Gload as another outfielder. He can play all 3 positions, from what I've read. Ofcourse you have Willie who can play center in a pinch.

MisterB
03-10-2004, 06:22 PM
It's still early yet but I think Gload will be backing up the corner spots as well as 1B (kinda like Jeff Leifer). Reed and Borchard should be playing every day, and it doesn't look like there's a slot for them on the Sox yet.

JohnJeter
03-10-2004, 06:41 PM
It's "Benard" not "Bernard", but it doesn't really matter anymore does it?

guillen4life13
03-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Gload has also played some CF in ST.

And it makes me wonder...

Jjav829
03-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
It's "Benard" not "Bernard", but it doesn't really matter anymore does it?

I don't know what you mean... :smile:

Heh, I also misspelled Kohlmeier but actually caught that one earlier. Not one of my finer spelling posts...

lowesox
03-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Maybe Chris Singleton wouldn't be such a bad idea? He was just released by the Pirates, wasn't he?

I think this would be a good move. Singleton can bunt, play defense and run - if he's healthy.

Kenny has done an awful job building depth on this team. We're so thin it hurts. I'm just hoping we'll have enough major league players to fill the roster.

rmusacch
03-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
^^^They wouldn't do that because (I'm assuming) Reed and Borchard need to get regular playing time in, and this wouldn't be the way to do it, unless they spell all three outfielders when needed (platoon w/ Rowand + spell Carlos Lee and Maggs when they need a break).

Come to think of it, who would be the 4th outfielder?

Singleton got released because he failed a physical. He is not healthy.

Happy Felsch Fan
03-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Chris Singleton will go see the Passion and will be healed in miraculous fashion.

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Singleton can bunt

When he swings the bat, it's usually a bunt.

duke of dorwood
03-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think this would be a good move. Singleton can bunt, play defense and run - if he's healthy.

Kenny has done an awful job building depth on this team. We're so thin it hurts. I'm just hoping we'll have enough major league players to fill the roster.

It has been a steady decline since he became GM