PDA

View Full Version : Rosenbloom garbage

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 02:34 PM
This is getting better and better.

THE COUNTDOWN: The Cubs will face the Expos, Marlins, Mets, Reds and Pirates in September before closing the season with three games against the Braves. Montreal will be dead from baseball's embarrassing handling of the franchise. Florida might be good, but probably not. Atlanta should have something going. But with 17 games down the stretch against the Reds, Mets and Pirates, the Cubs will have only themselves to blame for choking this chance.

Read the Cub fluff here...oh yeah, and a cheap shot at the Sox about Maggs going to the Yanks. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040310rosenbloomredeyecolumn,1,4323586.column?coll =cs-home-utility)

sas1974
03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I think I brought this up when the schedules were first released and I was shocked. The Cards and Astros have to duke it out w/ each other and they don't even get a shot at the cubs down the stretch. I think they let Hendry make up the schedule.

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
For all the comments about the AL Central being the worst in baseball, IMHO the NL Central isn't much better. In fact I'd say that the NL Centrals three worst teams are worse than the Indians & Tigers.

Twins
Sox
Royals
Indians
Tigers

Cubbies
Houston
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

Brian26
03-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
For all the comments about the AL Central being the worst in baseball, IMHO the NL Central isn't much better. In fact I'd say that the NL Centrals three worst teams are worse than the Indians & Tigers.

Twins
Sox
Royals
Indians
Tigers

Cubbies
Houston
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

The bottom three teams in the NL Central are Triple A-caliber teams.

jabrch
03-10-2004, 03:00 PM

Twins
Sox
Royals
Indians
Tigers

Cubbies
Houston
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

Yeah, but the top 3 likely would all win the AL Central by 10 games.

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 03:07 PM
The Reds need to find pitching from somewhere, but they can mash.

I am a big fan of Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn (who will rebound this year with 40-45 bombs). Griffey is due to have a full healthy season, so that is a solid 3-4-5 right there.

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Yeah, but the top 3 likely would all win the AL Central by 10 games.

That's the kind of stuff that's been said before, but is it really so? The Cardinals, I don't think their pitching is better, in fact it is probably worse than KC-TWINS-SOX. And I don't buy that Houston or the Cubbies would win by ten games since they only won what 87 & 88 games respectively last season.

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
....... The Cards and Astros have to duke it out w/ each other and they don't even get a shot at the cubs down the stretch. I think they let Hendry make up the schedule.

This is something I am Very Suspicious of. I know that a Computer ISNT what makes the schedules. Its a husband and wife, in some unnamed, non-descript home somwhere in suburbia that makes the schedules up. What would it take for a Bud Selig to "request" that the Cubs get a Cupcake Schedule down the stretch......all in the name of "saving baseball"

ChiSox14305635
03-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Rosenbloom is almost as bad as Mariotti. His only saving grace is that he still finds time to rip Sosa & Baker, whereas Mariotti will have no part of that.

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 03:43 PM
What Rosenbloom SHOULDVE been doing in that Article was Questioning Baseballs Policies regarding Fairness in Scheduling.
Im sure baseball thinks its giving itself a "shot in the arm" and telling everyone how "Great" it would be to have the Flubs in the Series, but at what Expense? Integrity is what suffers,
and last I checked, this sport has been losing it every year for quite some time now. When you see National Networks covering fans in Chicago area bars for games 1 thru 6, completely ignoring the Marlin Fanbase, til they got caught with their pants down, and had to scurry to acquire Some Type of
Footage regarding the Marlins for gm 7, you realize somethings Very Wrong with this sport and the Media covering it

Jerko
03-10-2004, 03:43 PM
I hope Houston and ST. Louis realize that EVERY game they play against the Flubs is super important this year. Hopefully one of those teams can get out to a big lead before September and then the Flubs won't be able to catch them because of no more head-to-head meetings. It may be like our division was last year; the team that lost 9 times to the Tigers wound up 4 games behind the team that lost to them what, twice?

Frater Perdurabo
03-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What Rosenbloom SHOULDVE been doing in that Article was Questioning Baseballs Policies regarding Fairness in Scheduling.
Im sure baseball thinks its giving itself a "shot in the arm" and telling everyone how "Great" it would be to have the Flubs in the Series, but at what Expense? Integrity is what suffers,
and last I checked, this sport has been losing it every year for quite some time now. When you see National Networks covering fans in Chicago area bars for games 1 thru 6, completely ignoring the Marlin Fanbase, til they got caught with their pants down, and had to scurry to acquire Some Type of
Footage regarding the Marlins for gm 7, you realize somethings Very Wrong with this sport and the Media covering it

Hangar, you may wear a tin foil hat but your advocacy is what is needed to keep the Cub-loving media honest.

IlliniSox
03-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Rosenbloom is almost as bad as Mariotti. His only saving grace is that he still finds time to rip Sosa & Baker, whereas Mariotti will have no part of that.

Rosenbloom did state he believes that September should be reserved for division-only matchups. I think that'd be great, 3 EE-BoSox series, Cubs choking to whoever...Sox-Minn-KC

I enjoy Rosenbloom, I think he bends everyone over equally (paying particularly good attention to poking Scammy) The Marrioti comparison should only be reserved for the most grevious of offenders.

SoxFan76
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Twins
Sox
Royals
Indians
Tigers

Cubbies
Houston
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Brewers

Amen brother. I've been thinking that all along. The Tigers this year will be better than the Reds (maybe), Pirates, and Brew Crew. The Cardinals are pretty good, the Cubs are above average, and the Astros are awesome. Remember, the Cubbies won the division with 88 wins. The Sox had 86, and the Twins had 90 I believe. The Royals didn't finish with too shabby a record either. I think as a result of the small market teams in the Central, they get unfair treatment. (Even though it's ridiculous that the Sox, Tribe, and Tigers are considered small markets for the cities they play for.)

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I wrote Steve this e-mail-

Steve:
I enjoy your columns, but having a "countdown" to the final 17 games of
the regular season for the Cubs is inexcusable.

With the way everyone at the Tribune is writing, the Cubs should be able
to skip the 162 games, and just head right into the playoffs. Remember,
this team everyone is so giddy over is the CUBS...not the YANKEES.
Everyone is all of a sudden forgetting about June Swoon and all that
other nonsense b/c this team was so close...LAST YEAR.

Easy on the Cub fluff,
Joe M. in Tempe

Here is his brilliant response-

OK. Fine. Let's go right to the Cubs-Yanks Series right now.

rosenbloom

When the Cubs do go down, it might be even BETTER than last year, because they are expected to win. That is going to be a great day. Every delusional Flub fan thinks they are going all the way.

gosox41
03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Steve:

Easy on the Cub fluff,
Joe M. in Tempe

rosenbloom

When the Cubs do go down, it might be even BETTER than last year, because they are expected to win. That is going to be a great day. Every delusional Flub fan thinks they are going all the way.

Is Rosenbloom capable of writing anything more then 2 sentence ideas? I expect something like that from me, but I'm assuming this guy has a degree in Journalism.

Bob

Foulke You
03-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Steve:

Easy on the Cub fluff,
Joe M. in Tempe

rosenbloom

This year kind've reminds me of the build up to the 1999 Cubs. The Cubs were coming fresh off their 1998 Wild Card "Championship" and brought everyone back for another run at the playoffs. They championed a full year of Kerry Wood and the complete returning squad. Everyone just assumed the Cubs would get back in the playoffs. Of course, the Sox swept them in 1999 at Wrigley and sent them into a tailspin that they never recovered from. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself.

Lip Man 1
03-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Steve's style is basically one liners, put down's and cut up's. That's why he rarely writes stuff in paragraph form (although he has done entire columns in the past on the Blackhawks.)

I don't mind his style, personally I think he goes after everyone fairly equally.

His style reminds me of one of the funniest and best sports shows that I ever heard called "The Sports Huddle," on WBZ Radio Boston. I'd get it at night on the radio here in Chicago in the early 70's. (I think it was Sunday nights) They had three or four guys who'd take calls, do interviews and the like. Pretty common now but not back then.

Anyway the last five minutes of the show, they'd have caliope music (circus type music) playing in the back ground while one after the other they'd throw out some of the most ripping one liners that I have ever heard. I still remember one to this day...

"Pictures of your very favorite Bruin players, drinking champaign out of a giant dixie cup, emblematic of Stanley Cup elimination, are now available with each and every new subscription to "Sinden," the magazine for bow tie wearers. (Harry Sinden of the Bruins always wore bow ties.)

These guys (Eddie Andleman and his friends) were absolutely vicious. I loved it. To bad we don't have something this sarcastic, yet so funny and well written in Chicago. God only knows they'd have a lifetime of material.

Lip

Hangar18
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Steve Rosenbloom. Blatantly says "Fine. Lets skip the season
and get to the Cubs vs Yanks WOrld Series".
Irresponsible at Best. Pure Cubpoganda at Worst. WHy doesnt he realize how bad he looks as a "writer"?

Lip Man 1
03-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Hangar:

I'd be willing to bet you Rosenbloom's reply was said sarcastically.

Lip

Northside fan
03-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
This year kind've reminds me of the build up to the 1999 Cubs. The Cubs were coming fresh off their 1998 Wild Card "Championship" and brought everyone back for another run at the playoffs. They championed a full year of Kerry Wood and the complete returning squad. Everyone just assumed the Cubs would get back in the playoffs. Of course, the Sox swept them in 1999 at Wrigley and sent them into a tailspin that they never recovered from. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself.

FY,
There is not even a remote comparison between the 1999 Cubs and the 2004 Cubs. I'm not trying to get you riled up but this Cubs team can win 100 games IF they stay healthy. The 99 Cubs were a patch work cast of misfits who lucked out in 1998. This is a far superior team.

SoxFan76
03-11-2004, 10:11 PM
See, that's where I disagree. The Cubs infield is not very good, with the exception of Lee, they don' t have a catcher, Sosa doesn't really help the team (with all the K's and no walks), and who knows what will happen with Alou. Wood and Maddux aren't the saviors they are made out to be. I think the propaganda has created this World Series prediction. But, I'd rather have the problems the Cubs have than the Sox at this point...