PDA

View Full Version : Urbina is staying at Ozzie's house

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Lip, this is for you my man-

Urbina, 30, would like to pitch for the White Sox, but Guillen said the club can't fit him into its payroll. The Marlins could re-enter the picture on May 1 after failing to offer him arbitration in December, but that remains a long shot.

Interesting, if we had a different owner. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-urbina10mar10,0,5829580.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins)

A.T. Money
03-10-2004, 11:40 AM
We don't need him.

All he did was give everyone a heart attack during the NLCS with his wildness and meatballs.

beckett21
03-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Tell you what I like about this. It is becoming apparent to me that Ozzie has a lot of *friends,* i.e. Urbina, Freddy Garcia, and others that are current players. I could see him becoming like Dusty in terms of being a *players manager* and a guy that players really want to play for. He seems to be universally loved and respected by players who he has had interactions with, from as far as I can tell.

So, with the right amount of luck and JR loosening the purse-strings a bit, the Sox could become an attractive destination for some quality free-agents to come our way. If we can get the money thing straight (granted BIG obstacle) this franchise could be changing the way it is percieved and could actually become *gasp* a place players WANT to go.

It could happen.

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
We don't need him.

All he did was give everyone a heart attack during the NLCS with his wildness and meatballs.

I disagree. He is a quality arm with post season experience. I know he was on the mound of the last out in the World Series...

Randar68
03-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Tell you what I like about this. It is becoming apparent to me that Ozzie has a lot of *friends,* i.e. Urbina, Freddy Garcia, and others that are current players. I could see him becoming like Dusty in terms of being a *players manager* and a guy that players really want to play for. He seems to be universally loved and respected by players who he has had interactions with, from as far as I can tell.

So, with the right amount of luck and JR loosening the purse-strings a bit, the Sox could become an attractive destination for some quality free-agents to come our way. If we can get the money thing straight (granted BIG obstacle) this franchise could be changing the way it is percieved and could actually become *gasp* a place players WANT to go.

It could happen.

Managers are nice, but committment from the front office supercedes the manager in the eyes of most players. $$$$ and a committment to winning come first.

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 11:51 AM
I can see the dialogue now:

Big Free Agent to Ozzie: "Man, Oz. I would love to play for you, you seem like a great guy. So far, I got an offer of 30 million over 5 years.

Oz: We can give you 12 million over 7, but you get to play for me!

Big Free Agent: I don't like you that much.

beckett21
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
OK, before I am branded a raving lunatic I wholeheartedly acknowledge that the Sox have a serious image problem as far as salaries and payroll are concerned. Irrefutable. Trust me, I am as critical of the front office as anyone else here. Ultimately, money talks, and any player who says anything different is either a liar or not completely honest.

That said, I believe it does make a difference who is managing the club on the field. If the money is close, maybe we get the benefit of the doubt now. Just tips the scales a bit, certainly it is not the only deciding factor in the equation. But it does help.

No one is going to play for Ozzie for free. I'm not shallow enough to believe that. To fully change the image we need new ownership, since that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon I will cling to whatever shred of hope I have at this point. Ozzie still has a way to go to prove himself as well; this will not be an overnight transformation, more of a gradual process hopefully over the next 5 to 10 years. But sooner would be nice. Our image really needs a facelift, Ozzie can help with that.

duke of dorwood
03-10-2004, 12:23 PM
If they wanted to, they could fit the whole Brewers team into their payroll

Randar68
03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
OK, before I am branded a raving lunatic I wholeheartedly acknowledge that the Sox have a serious image problem as far as salaries and payroll are concerned. Irrefutable. Trust me, I am as critical of the front office as anyone else here. Ultimately, money talks, and any player who says anything different is either a liar or not completely honest.

That said, I believe it does make a difference who is managing the club on the field. If the money is close, maybe we get the benefit of the doubt now. Just tips the scales a bit, certainly it is not the only deciding factor in the equation. But it does help.

No one is going to play for Ozzie for free. I'm not shallow enough to believe that. To fully change the image we need new ownership, since that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon I will cling to whatever shred of hope I have at this point. Ozzie still has a way to go to prove himself as well; this will not be an overnight transformation, more of a gradual process hopefully over the next 5 to 10 years. But sooner would be nice. Our image really needs a facelift, Ozzie can help with that.

Here's the real point... Nobody is going to play for less money just to play for Ozzie. These guys and their agents in particular, are businessmen. It's rare-to-nonexistent to hear of a guy taking less to play for manager-X.

Iwritecode
03-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I disagree. He is a quality arm with post season experience. I know he was on the mound of the last out in the World Series...

I thought Beckett went a full 9 in the last game of the WS?

sas1974
03-10-2004, 12:44 PM

It could happen.

I totally agree, it's nice to hear that decent players actually want to come here. I don't recall anyone saying, "Now that Jerry Manual is a I guy I'd love to play for."

sas1974
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I thought Beckett went a full 9 in the last game of the WS?

Yep he made the tag for the final out.

sas1974
03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Here's the real point... Nobody is going to play for less money just to play for Ozzie. These guys and their agents in particular, are businessmen. It's rare-to-nonexistent to hear of a guy taking less to play for manager-X.

Not several million less, but if it's a small difference, I could definitely see it. If someone was going to offer you $50 million to play for some jackass or $48-49MM to play for a guy you respect and like, which one would you choose?

Randar68
03-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Not several million less, but if it's a small difference, I could definitely see it. If someone was going to offer you $50 million to play for some jackass or $48-49MM to play for a guy you respect and like, which one would you choose?

Have the Sox been that close to the deals offerred to any major FA's in the past 5 years???

This is fantasy land.

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Yep he made the tag for the final out.

My bad. I was thinking of Urbina celebrating...but that was against the Flubbies...ahhh, memories. :smile:

Tekijawa
03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Tell you what I like about this. It is becoming apparent to me that Ozzie has a lot of *friends,* i.e. Urbina, Freddy Garcia, and others that are current players. I could see him becoming like Dusty in terms of being a *players manager* and a guy that players really want to play for.

Call me when he's "friends" with a player that I would want on this team...

sas1974
03-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Call me when he's "friends" with a player that I would want on this team...

He was friends w/ I-Rod, but he kept trying to pawn him off on the Cubs.

santo=dorf
03-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Funny, I thought that as Josh Beckett who shut-out the Yankees and tagged Jorge Posada for the last out. If Urbina is willing to take a pay cut or if JR is willing to spend more money to make this team better, I say it would be a good investment. I am so sick of the idea of having Matt Ginter in our bullpen. HE SUCKS!

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
The way Urbina nearly put the Cubs into the WS,
no thanks

jeremyb1
03-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Apparently we're one of 30 teams that won't pay Urbina 4.5 million.

Foulke You
03-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The way Urbina nearly put the Cubs into the WS,
no thanks

Agreed. My lasting memory of Urbina is him serving up a gigantic meatball after being ahead in the count in the bottom of the 9th in game 1 of the NLCS against Corky. The Marlins went on to win the game but that impression was lasting.

Iwritecode
03-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Has anyone checked out his stats? He's better than our current closer.

Plus, he's asking for less money...

Lip Man 1
03-10-2004, 05:51 PM
The only thing that surprises me is that once again some Sox fans say this guy isn't any good but are perfectly prepared to open the season with clowns like Pollitte, Ginter and Shingo in the bullpen, and with folks like Rauch, Cotts or Wright in the rotation (maybe two of them)

O.K.

Under the stringent criteria from some of you, nobody could pitch for the Sox because all of them are "overpaid," "washed up (like Kenny Rogers last season)", and not any good.

Please feel free to tell me then who does meet your standards? and would actually like to pitch on the South Side?

Lip

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The only thing that surprises me is that once again some Sox fans say this guy isn't any good but are perfectly prepared to open the season with clowns like Pollitte, Ginter and Shingo in the bullpen, and with folks like Rauch, Cotts or Wright in the rotation (maybe two of them)

Lip

Don't forget about Botch either Lip. Given the choice of a BP with or without Urbina if (and when) Botch struggles this season, I'll take the BP WITH Urbina as back-up insurance.

CWSGuy406
03-10-2004, 07:39 PM
If the guy wants to come here, open up the wallet and pay him. It's fun seeing players actually wanting to play for their team. Plus, he puts up some pretty damn good numbers. With a starting rotations with so many question marks, our bullpen is probably going to be worked hard. If we have Urbina with Shingo, Wunsch, Politte, Marte, and hopefully Koch will do better, then we can have a pretty solid bullpen.

ChiSox1983
03-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
If we have Urbina with Shingo, Wunsch, Politte, Marte, and hopefully Koch will do better, then we can have a pretty solid bullpen.

The only problem with a BP like that is that we would have no long reliever. We'd basically have 5 closer/set up men and one LOOGY...

SoxxoS
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox1983
The only problem with a BP like that is that we would have no long reliever. We'd basically have 5 closer/set up men and one LOOGY...

Grilli, Wright or Ginter can long relieve.