PDA

View Full Version : Fluff Piece About Big Frank In Today's Trib

hold2dibber
03-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Article in today's Trib (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040309sox,1,5558197.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) about Frank "turning the corner" in his career and Hall of Fame chances (pretty simplistic "analysis" of his HOF case, though).

Brian26
03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I thought it was ok. It'd be nice to see Frank hang on here with the Sox for 3 or 4 more years and put up really good numbers to cement a Hall of Fame spot. Would love to see him get to #500, but I think 3000 hits is going to be difficult.

Deadguy
03-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
I thought it was ok. It'd be nice to see Frank hang on here with the Sox for 3 or 4 more years and put up really good numbers to cement a Hall of Fame spot. Would love to see him get to #500, but I think 3000 hits is going to be difficult.

There is no way he's going to reach 3,000 hits, unless he sticks around as long as Rickey Hendersen has. Frank simply walks too much. The Babe and Ted Williams had much higher career BAs, yet never reached 3,000 hits.

sas1974
03-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I also think 3000 is almost impossible. 500 is in reach though. Personally I think that if his career ended today, he's still a first ballot guy. I don't want to hear that crap about contracts and fights w/ JM from the writers either. That should have almost nothing to do with it. I understand they want people of character in there, but there are a lot of people in there that have done a lot worse than argue with their manager.

1951Campbell
03-10-2004, 10:59 AM
If Frank doesn't make it on the first ballot, it'll be an outrage:

Frank's career stats, with HOF projections (scroll down) (http://www.baseballreference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml)

Deadguy
03-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Discounting the 2001 season, when he missed all but 20 games because of a torn triceps, Thomas has averaged 34.5 home runs a season over 12 years. That puts him on pace to reach 500 home runs during the 2007 season.

???

I'm guessing this guy just added 3 years to 2004, without taking into account that 2004 is inclusive in terms of Thomas' numbers. Using that average homerun total, he'd project out to reaching it in 2006. Not a glaring mistake, and I realize these guys are under intense deadlines, but you'd think an editor would catch something like that.

Thomas is 82 homeruns away from 500, so if he can repeat what he did last year over the next two seasons (not likely, but not impossible), he could reach it by September of 2005.

mantis1212
03-10-2004, 12:04 PM
This article's pretty fair. Although the chances of him getting 3,000 hits is virtually nil in my opinion, not with all the walks he draws. 500 HR is very likely though.

Either way, not being a first-ballot HOFer would be an outrage...

RichFitztightly
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
FROM THE ARTICLE: Some might consider him the best hitter ever to play in Chicago, but it's not likely he ever will be as popular as Ernie Banks or Ron Santo or Sammy Sosa or Minnie Minoso. Thomas isn't worried about it.

I don't know about anybody else, but I got a feeling that Sosa's popularity will crash after he retires. It just seems that all these stories about him will come out in such a flood that it will be impossible to overlook. I always get the feeling that people are holding back because they think he's "good for the game." I got this feeling that 10-15 or maybe 20 years from now Thomas will have more recognition for his accomplishments than Sosa.

RKMeibalane
03-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I don't know about anybody else, but I got a feeling that Sosa's popularity will crash after he retires. It just seems that all these stories about him will come out in such a flood that it will be impossible to overlook. I always get the feeling that people are holding back because they think he's "good for the game." I got this feeling that 10-15 or maybe 20 years from now Thomas will have more recognition for his accomplishments than Sosa.

I agree. I also think that the current steroid contreversy may have a lot to do with both Sosa's decrease and popularity, as well as increased respect for Thomas. Think about it. Sammy Sosa is considered by some to be a "savior" of baseball. Yet, if he is one of the players found guilty of steroid use, much of what he has done since 1998 will be called into question. Nobody will believe anything he says or does, because if he is using steroids, then he's been lying about it for several years.

Then there's Frank's situation. Thomas has never been popular with the media. However, he has been extremely outspoken about the need for baseball to "clean up its act" with regards to the steroids issue. Furthermore, when the truth about steroid use finally does come out, Sosa may well be one of many players implicated. Yet, Frank has not used steroids, and I think people will take notice of this. The superstars who play the game the right way will gain a lot more respect from the general public, because they held firm when others decided to break the rules. This situation alone may be what punches Frank's ticket to the Hall of Fame, because he has upheld the rules and regulations of baseball, and he has been true to the game and its fans. This is the type of player who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

pinwheels3530
03-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree, Frank is doing it by working hard, he's finally getting the respect he desrves!!

jackbrohamer
03-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Decent article. Change of pace from that Teddy Greenstein article a few months back where he went to Las Vegas to stalk Thomas at his health club & other places.

SoxFan76
03-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Frank changed the perception of big guys. He can get a base hit, and he can go yard. He is an amazing player and SHOULD be a lock for the Hall. Unfortunately sports writers hold unfair grudges. Rose gambled on baseball yet can't get in, Sosa corks his bat, uses steroids, and beats his wife. Unfortunately Sosa is a lock for the Hall as well. Ok, going off topic there. Frank's ability to walk, or get on base by any means neccesary, is amazing. Especially for a man of his size who is "supposed" to hit 50 home runs every year. It's a shame it's even a question if he is a lock to get in or not.

batmanZoSo
03-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
There is no way he's going to reach 3,000 hits, unless he sticks around as long as Rickey Hendersen has. Frank simply walks too much. The Babe and Ted Williams had much higher career BAs, yet never reached 3,000 hits.

Total hits is overrated. So is batting average for that matter. Give me a guy who knows how to take pitches. 1.000 ops is the mark of a great hitter. Doesn't matter if he hits .260.