PDA

View Full Version : Gload instead of Konerko?

mealfred13
03-10-2004, 01:19 AM
I can't help but say it, but Ross Gload seems to be having a way better spring training than Paul Konerko as far as hitting is concerned, and I've seen several articles at www.whitesox.com mentioning some great defensive plays he's been making. If Gload and Konerko continue at their current paces, what do you guys think of Gload's chances of making the 25 man roster as 1st base starter while Konerko is left behind and sent to triple A? Personally, I've always liked Konerko, but I'd much rather see Gload out there to start the season if Konerko's bat is still asleep as it has been for some time now...

doublem23
03-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Ozzie is real high on Gload, so I would think he's a lock to make the 25-man roster. Whether or not he starts as much as Konerko is another story.

:jerry
Three first basemen? Why wasn't he brought up during my tenure?

santo=dorf
03-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
:jerry
Three first basemen? Why wasn't he brought up during my tenure?

Well last year we had the great Brian Daubach to go along with Konerko and Thomas. Oh Wait I forgot, Jerry never let Frank play first base.

jeremyb1
03-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by mealfred13
I can't help but say it, but Ross Gload seems to be having a way better spring training than Paul Konerko as far as hitting is concerned, and I've seen several articles at www.whitesox.com mentioning some great defensive plays he's been making. If Gload and Konerko continue at their current paces, what do you guys think of Gload's chances of making the 25 man roster as 1st base starter while Konerko is left behind and sent to triple A? Personally, I've always liked Konerko, but I'd much rather see Gload out there to start the season if Konerko's bat is still asleep as it has been for some time now...

There are so many problems with this. First of all we're talking about 10 or 12 spring training at bats. Do you really want to toss aside each player's entire career for a few spring training games especially when you consider that Gload played winterball meaning he should be less rusty than the average player? Konerko was dwarfing Gload's production in AAA when he was 22. How confident are you he's completely washed up?

kittle42
03-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
There are so many problems with this. First of all we're talking about 10 or 12 spring training at bats. Do you really want to toss aside each player's entire career for a few spring training games especially when you consider that Gload played winterball meaning he should be less rusty than the average player? Konerko was dwarfing Gload's production in AAA when he was 22. How confident are you he's completely washed up?

THANK YOU. I know you people are eager for some real baseball, but one week of spring training games means nothing.

hold2dibber
03-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mealfred13
IIf Gload and Konerko continue at their current paces, what do you guys think of Gload's chances of making the 25 man roster as 1st base starter while Konerko is left behind and sent to triple A?

No chance in all hell whatsoever even a little bit never ever no way forget about it ain't gonna happen.

jabrch
03-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I'll give you 8,000,000 reasons why this can't happen

duke of dorwood
03-10-2004, 11:22 AM
There's a desperate need for left handed bats.

sas1974
03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Seems like (SO FAR) he has a pretty good shot at making the squad if he can keep this up. I can't see them benching Paulie in favor of him though. They claim Gload has some versatility so, I don't think he'll be limited to playing first base if he comes up.

stillz
03-10-2004, 12:02 PM
I can't see Konerko at AAA. Has Ozzie said anything about letting Frank play the field? It's worth a shot. Konerko can stab the ball pretty well, but his range is not good.

pudge
03-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Triple-A will never happen, but I'm getting the feeling by about May 1 Gload may be getting a lot of playing time... As long as Ozzie decides on something and doesn't jerk people around like JM, I'll be okay with it... having said that, if Konerko sucks out of the gates, make the switch.

hold2dibber
03-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Triple-A will never happen, but I'm getting the feeling by about May 1 Gload may be getting a lot of playing time... As long as Ozzie decides on something and doesn't jerk people around like JM, I'll be okay with it... having said that, if Konerko sucks out of the gates, make the switch.

Gload at his best is probably about equal to Konerko at his worst. Last year, PK hit .238 with 18 HRs and 65 or so RBIs. By far his worst season. If he played full time, my guess is that Gload would hit about .250 with 12 HRs and 60 RBIs. I don't care if PK sucks coming out of the gate, the Sox should stick with him because he at least could have a .280/30/100 kind of year, whereas there is no reason whatsoever to think that Gload could possibly be capable of that level of production. I wish the Sox would have kept Daubach, who I am relatively confident would have put up much better numbers than PK last year had JM given him an opportunity.

mealfred13
03-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Ok maybe not triple A, I was under the impression we wouldn't have 3 first baseman on the 25 man roster. Also, I did say "if they continue on their curent paces." While I am going off of the 15 or so at-bats they've had thus far, I'm saying, if this is what we see out of them this spring, I'd much rather see Gload getting a chance to start a season off at first with Frank at DH and Paulie as backup. I've always been a major Konerko fan, even when he was sucking it up, but I just feel if this is all he's got, I'd rather see guys like Gload and Reed coming up to play and see what they got....

soxtalker
03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
It would be great if both Gload and PK would do well. Either one not doing well limits KW's ability to make a trade (probably involving PK).

SSN721
03-11-2004, 06:21 AM
I cant see Konerko not playing at least the first couple months to improve only because the ghastly amount of money he is being paid. I have a hard time paying someone 8 mil who is gonna be playing most of the year at AAA. And I think if that happens forget about any kind of trade at all in the future with PK.

Brian26
03-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Has anyone noticed how Rooney and Farmer both pronounce Gload's last name different ways, even within the same at-bat during the broadcast. Rooney pronounces it as GLODE, with a "long o". Farmio insists on pronouncing it as GLOWD, with the "au" sound.

Of course, Farmio has trouble with Eric Chavez' name, too. I've heard Farmer use three different version of that name within the same game.