PDA

View Full Version : Uribe / Harris

lowesox
03-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Here's a question that ought to get a little consideration. What happens if Uribe outplays Harris? I mean, it's not out the grasp of the imagination. Harris is hitting .125 while Uribe is hitting .308. And if you look at career numbers, neither one of them have set the world on fire, but Uribe has been better.

I know it's still early, but the question needs to be asked. Especially since Harris seemingly has just been handed this job.

Daver
03-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Here's a question that ought to get a little consideration. What happens if Uribe outplays Harris? I mean, it's not out the grasp of the imagination. Harris is hitting .125 while Uribe is hitting .308. And if you look at career numbers, neither one of them have set the world on fire, but Uribe has been better.

I know it's still early, but the question needs to be asked. Especially since Harris seemingly has just been handed this job.

When did the Sox officially announce Harris as the starting second baseman?

I must have missed it.

lowesox
03-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Apparently you haven't been reading much about the sox lately, because in everything I read Harris is expected to start at second and leadoff.

Daver
03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Apparently you haven't been reading much about the sox lately, because in everything I read Harris is expected to start at second and leadoff.

And the Sox officially announced it?

I have no use for the speculation that sportswriters use to fill their allotted space in the daily newspaper.

RedPinStripes
03-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I have no use for the speculation that sportswriters use to fill their allotted space in the daily newspaper.

Yeah, all those guys who write articles are bull****ters. :D:

delben91
03-09-2004, 10:19 PM

Well, it's not the Sox perse, but in today's Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/091sd3.htm), there's a quote from Ozzie about 2/3 of the way into the article, under "the pressure is off" that reads:

That doesn't mean Guillen has seen enough to just hand Harris the starting job, however.

"It's a battle with Willie and (Juan) Uribe," Guillen said. "I want Willie to do good, but he's got to earn it. He's the man in pencil, not in pen. I can erase pencil."

So it seems Ozzie at least has it as being Willie's job for the moment, it's his to lose, not officially an open competition. So Uribe would have to "take it" from Willie.

Just my opinion from reading that section of the article. Feel free to disagree.

gosox41
03-10-2004, 08:10 AM
When did the Sox officially announce Harris as the starting second baseman?

I must have missed it.

Ozzie has made reference to it a few times. I recall Ozzie talking about making Harris a better bunter so he can get on base more as a lead off hitter. He drew comparisons to Juan Pierre.

Bob

munchman33
03-10-2004, 11:00 AM

I remember an interview Kenny Williams gave where he said that the job was Willie's to lose and that his only competition was himself.

-Munchie

WSox8404
03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Even if they make Willie the starter, he will probably be pulled from that roll in favor or Uribe about a month into the season anyway. Willie stunk last year, he stinks in spring training, and he is going to stink in the regular season too.