PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Twins Love Fest

LASOXFAN
03-09-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm so sick of the way Gammons pulls for the Twins. Now he's christening Mauer the second coming of Johnny *&(#ing Bench.

Mauer article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1754766)

1951Campbell
03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
This is all part of Gammons' schtick. I used to be a religious reader of his Sunday notes column in the Globe when I lived in Boston. The formula runs something like this:

1. He has a rep for inside info.

2. Riding that rep, he makes bold predictions about obscure players on seldom-noticed teams.

3. When he's wrong--which is often--he gets away with it, because that tree falls in the forest with no one to hear it, essentially.

jeremyb1
03-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
This is all part of Gammons' schtick. I used to be a religious reader of his Sunday notes column in the Globe when I lived in Boston. The formula runs something like this:

1. He has a rep for inside info.

2. Riding that rep, he makes bold predictions about obscure players on seldom-noticed teams.

3. When he's wrong--which is often--he gets away with it, because that tree falls in the forest with no one to hear it, essentially.

I feel like that's what most columnists do. They make bold claims to grab peoples' attention and then pretend as though it never happened when they're wrong.

That said, I don't know how you can argue all that much with a Mauer love fest. He is widely regarded to be the best prospect in the game and one of the better catching prospects in quite some time.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Ugh, can't stand when writers just recycle the same articles. I already know that Mauer is hyped up and is supposed to be the next big thing. Do I care to hear for the 500th time? Not really. Write about something that I actually care about next time!

rcescato
03-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I'm so sick of the way Gammons pulls for the Twins. Now he's christening Mauer the second coming of Johnny *&(#ing Bench.

Mauer article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1754766)

They are talking about Joe Mauer just like they talked about an Oakland A's rookie named Ben Grieve. They ESPN BASEBALL predictors put future hall-of-famer next to his name back in the 90's. At that time he didn't even have an official at bat yet. I wish I would have saved it though. On a side note the new Tesla CD came out today and it sure rocks like any other cd they have put out before. Its been 10 long years baby.
Rich

jeremyb1
03-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by rcescato
They are talking about Joe Mauer just like they talked about an Oakland A's rookie named Ben Grieve. They ESPN BASEBALL predictors put future hall-of-famer next to his name back in the 90's. At that time he didn't even have an official at bat yet. I wish I would have saved it though. On a side note the new Tesla CD came out today and it sure rocks like any other cd they have put out before. Its been 10 long years baby.

Clearly not all prospects reach their ceiling. A key difference between Mauer and Grieve however is that Mauer is a catcher and a pretty strong one defensively at that. He doesn't have to be an MVP calliber hitter to be an outstanding backstop.

ChiSox14305635
03-10-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm surprised Gammons wrote that piece. Usually small market teams are what Kurjkian is enamored with.

doublem23
03-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I'm surprised Gammons wrote that piece. Usually small market teams are what Kurjkian is enamored with.

Oh no, Gammons would do the whole Twins team if he could.

SSN721
03-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Oh no, Gammons would do the whole Twins team if he could.

Probably because they remind him of his own small market team, in Boston. :D: