PDA

View Full Version : Lost in all the Billy Koch fluff pieces...

Win1ForMe
03-09-2004, 07:17 PM
...is the fact that he's still throwing 91-92 mph (according to Offman's SCORE update with Fred and Mully this morning). I've read some stories in the paper about Koch's supposedly renewed confidence. Of course none of them mentioned that his velocity hasn't returned.

We're screwed, again. :(:

LASOXFAN
03-09-2004, 07:34 PM
He was clocked at 94 yesterday. Sorry to spoil your parade, but it looks like his velocity is moving up the dial which is typical for him in the spring.

TornLabrum
03-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
...is the fact that he's still throwing 91-92 mph (according to Offman's SCORE update with Fred and Mully this morning). I've read some stories in the paper about Koch's supposedly renewed confidence. Of course none of them mentioned that his velocity hasn't returned.

A certain wag I know has christened him Jack Ofman. Since he was clocked consistently between 91-94 the last two outings, I'd say I agree.

SoxFan76
03-09-2004, 08:33 PM

He's also learning how to be a pitcher, not a thrower. Velocity is not the only factor in Koch being a solid pitcher again.

Win1ForMe
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Sorry to spoil your parade,

I didn't know I was having one...

but it looks like his velocity is moving up the dial which is typical for him in the spring.

He's got a long way to go up that dial. I just hope they're not stupid enough to give Koch the closer's job coming out of spring training. We can't afford to blow five games early in the season before we realize Koch can't get save to... well, to save his life.

He's also learning how to be a pitcher, not a thrower. Velocity is not the only factor in Koch being a solid pitcher again.

I agree that 'a pitcher' does not need velocity to be effective. But Billy Koch does. Seriously, this is the same garbage we've heard during the latter parts of last season (improving mechanics, focusing on location, etc.). It didn't work, and it won't work until his velocity comes back.

It appears the spring's eternal optimists are out in full force.

ChiSox14305635
03-09-2004, 11:04 PM

Do yourself a favor, and read one of those fluff pieces. When Billy Beane brought up this question of Koch throwing 91-92 mph 2 yrs ago, Koch told him he picked up more velocity on his fastball the more he pitched. Later, during spring training, his fastball was timed at 96, 97, & 100 mph. Cut the guy some slack. Maybe he just had an off year in 2003.

Win1ForMe
03-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Do yourself a favor, and read one of those fluff pieces. When Billy Beane brought up this question of Koch throwing 91-92 mph 2 yrs ago, Koch told him he picked up more velocity on his fastball the more he pitched. Later, during spring training, his fastball was timed at 96, 97, & 100 mph. Cut the guy some slack. Maybe he just had an off year in 2003.

Please let me explain something. Whatever is said in a fluff piece, no matter how plausible, can be taken with a grain of salt. There's a specific agenda or purpose the author is trying to convey. While there may be 10 other experts with 10 better theories, the theory/evidence/example/whatever which supports the purpose of the article will be the one that's printed, no matter how much opposition that theory has.

Do yourself a favor, and don't believe everything you read.

jeremyb1
03-09-2004, 11:41 PM
1) I agree that it is not set in stone that pitchers' reach their top velocity in the first couple weeks of the spring.

2) It is exceptionally hard for a pitcher that thrived on throwing a 100 mph straight fastball to become a pitcher that thrives on movement and location. Its not impossible but the pitcher would have to be ridiculously talented to be an outstanding major league pitcher as a flame thrower and a finesse pitcher.

LASOXFAN
03-10-2004, 01:32 AM

you're jumping the gun, brother. That's all I meant. That's why they have spring training, to get ready for the season. In three weeks if he's back to throwing low 90's then I would agree that there's cause for concern. Not now.

SSN721
03-10-2004, 05:59 AM
you're jumping the gun, brother. That's all I meant. That's why they have spring training, to get ready for the season. In three weeks if he's back to throwing low 90's then I would agree that there's cause for concern. Not now.

I would agree, as much as I would like to see him blazing it to the plate 94 mph is still an improvement. I think if his form has returned he will be able to get up 3-5 mph in the next three weeks of ST. If not, then I will be worried because I also agree he will have to be more talented then I give him credit for to become a finesse pitcher.