PDA

View Full Version : Richard Roeper's 3/8 Article

Rocky Soprano
03-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Don't know if many of you caught this but he included the following in yesterday's article:

You read it here first, and you'll mock me for it if I'm wrong:

The Sox are going to win more games than the Cubbies this year.

Notice I didn't say the Sox will be better than the Cubs in 2004. But they have a real chance of finishing with, say, 90 wins to the Cubs' 88, simply because of their relative schedules. While the Cubs are knocking heads with top-tier division rivals such as the Astros and the Cardinals, the Sox will be feasting -- or at least SHOULD be feasting -- on the teams in their division, by far the weakest in baseball.

So, even though the Cubs added some key talent while the Sox kept waving goodbye to quality veterans, don't be surprised if the Sox end up with a better regular season mark.

Seriously.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep08.html

It sure is nice to have someone on our side.

johnny174
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM
roeper rules. dolton love.

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Roeper has been one of the ONLY Chicago journalists to NOT jump on the Everyone Loves the Cubs Bandwagon.

:gulp: to Richard Roeper

vegyrex
03-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Hehehe, that a boy Richard. :D:

The_Floridian
03-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Wow. Maybe Roeper's not as big a schmuck as I thought.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I like his Positive angle. But he considers the Cardinals
as rivals of the cubs? theyre going to lie down like a doormat
this year. ALSO...though the cubs will "knock heads" with
the Astros (Go 'Stros), they STILL get to play potential
100 Loss Weak Sister teams like the Pittsburgh Crawdads, Cincinatti Lookouts, and Milwaukee Chug-a-Lugs. Um no...
thats not going to happen. Cubs simply need to play .500
against Houston, not get too beat up in interleague play against the SOX and ALCentral, and theyve got the division wrapped up.
Who said Baseball was "saved" in 1998?

HURT35
03-09-2004, 02:47 PM
In addition to the "top tier rivals of Houston and St. Louis" don't the Cubs also play 3 horse$hit teams like Cincy, Pitt and Milw like 45 or 46 times? Houston has a good team, St. Louis is always assumed to be good (I hope they are real good!). I know that the Sox division is down but I would venture that it is on a whole better than it was last year and could be competitive. The gap between the competitive and non competive is far worse in the NL central. The Cubs have all sorts of gimmes on the schedule (and leave it to MLB and the commissioner to schedule many of them in September again, while Houston and St. Louis go head to head).

I know Roeper is a Sox fan and thats a good thing but to go at the year with the idea that any success the Sox have is discounted relative to the Cubs because Cubs division is good, Sox division is bad is a counterproductive one and will feed into the way this team will be perceived and covered all year long.

I guarantee that if the Sox are leading this year, that sentiment will be all over the place.

pudge
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
While I appreciate his support, this basically proves he's a moron.

chisoxmike
03-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Roeper is a Sox fan, he says he is all the time, but I've always liked him.

He's usually right about most things too.

:moron
"NOOOO! A fellow Sun-Times writer a Sox fan? Not on my watch!!!!"

batmanZoSo
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by pudge

I think he'll be proven right, my friend.

Rocky Soprano
03-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I think he'll be proven right, my friend.

I agree!

Pudge, why do you think he is a moron?

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by HURT35
The gap between the competitive and non competive is far worse in the NL central. The Cubs have all sorts of gimmes on the schedule (and leave it to MLB and the commissioner to schedule many of them in September again, while Houston and St. Louis go head to head).

yeah, I noticed that. how in the world could the schedule makers come up with a scenario like that? Where they basically DONT PLAY any meaningful teams down the Stretch? What, are they TRYING to give the Cubs the Easiest Path to the Playoffs?
I can see Mike Yellow Kileys articles in sept now "Cubs talent shows in September" "Bakers leadership responsible for 25-4 record in september" "Cubs prove September to remember"

hftrex
03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Only thing wrong with Roeper is that he's not the Sun-Times writer with a show on ESPN 1000 or on Around the Horn...........

bc2k
03-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by HURT35
I know Roeper is a Sox fan and thats a good thing but to go at the year with the idea that any success the Sox have is discounted relative to the Cubs because Cubs division is good, Sox division is bad is a counterproductive one and will feed into the way this team will be perceived and covered all year long.

I guarantee that if the Sox are leading this year, that sentiment will be all over the place.

Nice insight HURT35, welcome to WSI. I agree with your prediction how if the Sox and Cubs are both leading their divisions, the Sox will be perceived as the tallest midget and still below the talent level of the Cubs. But also think how much more venomous the public perception of the first place Sox will be if the Cubs are in third place! Get ready for Cubganda like 'if the Cubs were in the AL Central, they'd be in first too!' But you know what, that Cubganda would be music to my ears.

hftrex
03-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Nice insight HURT35, welcome to WSI. I agree with your prediction how if the Sox and Cubs are both leading their divisions the Sox will be perceived as the tallest midget and still below the talent level of the Cubs. But also think how much more venomous the public perception of the first place Sox will be if the Cubs are in third place! Get ready for Cubganda like 'if the Cubs were in the AL Central, they'd be in first too!' But you know what, that Cubganda would be music to my ears.

Now that would be great and if the Sox pitching keeps up like it has been in ST, then it will happen.

johnny174
03-09-2004, 05:21 PM
i always love how people talk about how the AL central is the worst division in sports. worst in the AL maybe, but why do the sox always do so well in interleague play? even the twins and royals do quite well if i remember correctly.

if the NL central was so impressive the cubs would cream us every year since interleague counted, and that hasn't been the case at all.

hftrex
03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by johnny174
i always love how people talk about how the AL central is the worst division in sports. worst in the AL maybe, but why do the sox always do so well in interleague play? even the twins and royals do quite well if i remember correctly.

if the NL central was so impressive the cubs would cream us every year since interleague counted, and that hasn't been the case at all.

If the Cubs were in the AL, and the Sox were in the NL, then the media would be talking about how weak the NL Central is and how strong the AL Central is................................

Chisox_cali
03-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Roeper > Ebert

:gulp:

SergeantMahoney
03-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cubs simply need to play .500
against Houston, not get too beat up in interleague play against the SOX and ALCentral, and theyve got the division wrapped up.

Besides their record against the Sox, I predict the Cubs will go 0-0 against the AL Central in the 2004 regular season. (They're playing the AL West)

batmanZoSo
03-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by johnny174

Because they're effin' morons thats why. We have three competitive teams that are playoff worthy. The NL Central is no different, except that they have 3 terrible teams instead of 2.

guillen4life13
03-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by SergeantMahoney
Besides their record against the Sox, I predict the Cubs will go 0-0 against the AL Central in the 2004 regular season. (They're playing the AL West)

Awesome! The only bad team in that division is Texas! They have to face us, Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim also.

ShaWIING!

pudge
03-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I agree!

Pudge, why do you think he is a moron?

88 wins for a pitching staff with three potential aces, maybe four? Not to mention Hawkins added to an already solid bullpen? Not to mention more offense in the lineup than they had last year?

Come on fellas, we're not winning more games than the Cubs. His reasoning is that the Cubs have to face the tough Astros and Cardinals?? Um, last time I checked, we have two play-off caliber teams in our division too.

Honestly, I DO think the Sox could sqweak into the postseason and the Cubs could be left out IF the Astros roll.... but even in that scenario, I don't think we'll finish with more wins than the Cubs.

Do I hope I'm wrong?

I also have to admit I am a little anti-Roeper and anti-Ebert because those flamers give thumbs up to every damn movie that ever gets released. So this latest comment by Roeper only makes me question his brain cells even more... having said that, I'd love to be the one proven to be a fool.

:)

Dub25
03-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Awesome! The only bad team in that division is Texas! They have to face us, Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim also.

ShaWIING!

Actually no, they only play Oakland and the powerful pitching rotation of the Texas Rangers.

Railsplitter
03-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I knew there was something about Roeper I like but couldn't put a finger on. No I know why.

santo=dorf
03-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Dub25
Actually no, they only play Oakland and the powerful pitching rotation of the Texas Rangers.

They don't play Texas, they play at Anaheim.

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
well, Heres hoping Roeper proves us all Wrong :smile: