PDA

View Full Version : Will The Ballpark Be Ready?

Rush20
03-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, looking at the March 1 photos on the rennovation progress and I wonder if they will be able to complete the project by opening day? I know the core structure is up, however the inside of the upper deck still looks a long way off from the rennovation drawings.

I remember last year, they were still painting the outfield signs (facing the expressway) the week after opening day. I know we had a cold hard winter this year that probably slowed the progress. Hope they make it!! :?:

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
It'll be done. They still have about 5 weeks left to go before Opening Day.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 02:19 PM
theyve been moving very quickly the last few weeks.
They'll get it done. The Outfield profile would look 500%
better if they removed those Characterless, Expressway Sized Billboards from the Outfield. They are Horribly Out Of Scale
with the Rest of the Stadium, very Much like the Upper Deck was.
Even Just REMOVING them and having NOTHING there would be a Humongous improvement, but alas, they need that 100 foot
by 100 foot CHEVY sign out there. Put Mock buildings, and those Old Fashioned billboards you used to see on downtwn buildings in the 20's and 30s on TOP of the buildings.
NOW you have some character. Not sure if anyone realizes this, but I was on a plane getting ready to land at Midway, and we passed close to Comiskey, and I was able to Make out the VASTNESS of the Billboards. From the Air. Thats Ridiculous.

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Not sure if anyone realizes this, but I was on a plane getting ready to land at Midway, and we passed close to Comiskey, and I was able to Make out the VASTNESS of the Billboards. From the Air. Thats Ridiculous.

:reinsy

"Big signs equal BIG MONEY!"

BeerHandle
03-09-2004, 02:49 PM
better if they removed those Characterless, Expressway Sized Billboards from the Outfield. They are Horribly Out Of Scale
Even Just REMOVING them and having NOTHING there would be a Humongous improvement, but alas, they need that 100 foot
by 100 foot CHEVY sign out there. Put Mock buildings, and those Old Fashioned billboards you used to see on downtwn buildings in the 20's and 30s on TOP of the buildings.
NOW you have some character. Not sure if anyone realizes this, but I was on a plane getting ready to land at Midway, and we passed close to Comiskey, and I was able to Make out the VASTNESS of the Billboards. From the Air. Thats Ridiculous.

I'd rather see the signs then the Robert Taylor Homes being knocked down!

Rocky Soprano
03-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Put Mock buildings, and those Old Fashioned billboards you used to see on downtwn buildings in the 20's and 30s on TOP of the buildings.
NOW you have some character.

Awesome idea!

white sox bill
03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Hell of the paint isn't dry, who cares--nobody will be in the UD anyway!

soxnut
03-09-2004, 09:57 PM

The billboards aren't that bothersome to me, but your idea sounds pretty cool. But, it almost sounds a little bit like Wrigley, as well as some of your other ideas you've had in the past........Are you sure you're not really a closet-Wrigley Fan??

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The billboards aren't that bothersome to me, but your idea sounds pretty cool. But, it almost sounds a little bit like Wrigley, as well as some of your other ideas you've had in the past........Are you sure you're not really a closet-Wrigley Fan??

let me check hang on .... :smile:
(hey hangar, are you sure you dont secretly love wrigley field? with the way there arent enough bathrooms, the food is Very Bad, it starts to smell like urine after the 3rd inning, moronic fans, obstructed views, way too expensive seats, and the way the neat little apt bldgs look across the street?)
No.....I hate everything about the place ...

soxnut
03-10-2004, 06:03 PM
let me check hang on .... :smile:
(hey hangar, are you sure you dont secretly love wrigley field? with the way there arent enough bathrooms, the food is Very Bad, it starts to smell like urine after the 3rd inning, moronic fans, obstructed views, way too expensive seats, and the way the neat little apt bldgs look across the street?)
No.....I hate everything about the place ...

:D: :gulp:

RedPinStripes
03-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I drove past the park today and it's looking great! They 've really picked up the pace in the last week. I'm sure it will be done on time.

dpbyron
03-10-2004, 07:56 PM
The 6pm Channel 7 news had a story about how they had a ceremony at the park today commemorating the last beam being put into place.

pearso66
03-10-2004, 08:48 PM
I drove past it today also, and heard about the ceremony. It looks pretty much done except for the covering on the roof. I even got a pretty decent picture of it from the sears tower on monday. Granted you cant see much detail, but it looks pretty good from that view

batmanZoSo
03-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
The 6pm Channel 7 news had a story about how they had a ceremony at the park today commemorating the last beam being put into place.

"I didn't know anyone knew the Soxs existed"

duke of dorwood
03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I pass there every day-work has accellerated. I still dont see how they will have the upper deck area closed off, though in the time left. Also, there's a large tarp in the UD directly behind the plate like they are working inside it.