PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Radio Spot = WEAK!

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Sox fans in the Chicago area may have heard it but for those of you outside of the Chicago radio area, Gallas and Co. have come up with yet another marketing gem that is sure to draw Sox fans and casual baseball fans to USCF.

In a nutshell, the radio spot features Gene Honda reading out the names of the Sox starters with a fan talking to himself during the announcement. After GH, reads out C Lee, Valentin, Maggs, Thomas, and Buehrle, the fan says to himself, soak in this marketing genius here , "Hmmmm..... pretty much the same nucleus as last year." Too bad Gallas and Co. left out that it is this nucleus that has come up short the past 3 seasons. GH continues with reading out the names of Rowand, Harris, Crede, and Olivo when the fan ponders the meaning of life by asking himself something along the line of, "I wonder what the big difference is?" GH then announces, "And welcome back to USCF, the new manager of the Chicago White Sox, Ozzie Guillen!"

Is this the best Gallas and Co. can come up with in a city beseiged by all things Cubbie? Jesus Christ. This radio spot is so weak! FIRE GALLAS! He hasn't a clue how to market to the typical Sox fan or the casual baseball fan!

But hey, at least nobody said anything about, "make sure you bring your 'A' game."

Baby Fisk
03-09-2004, 01:21 PM
That sounds appalling. "The Same Nucleus Can Play!"

Frater Perdurabo
03-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Agreed, that spot does pretty much manage to defy the laws of physics by both sucking and blowing at the same time.

If they want to tout Ozzie Guillen in their marketing efforts, I'd much rather hear a radio ad with recordings of some of Ozzie's hilarious comments, edited for G audiences, of course.

batmanZoSo
03-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Sox fans in the Chicago area may have heard it but for those of you outside of the Chicago radio area, Gallas and Co. have come up with yet another marketing gem that is sure to draw Sox fans and casual baseball fans to USCF.

In a nutshell, the radio spot features Gene Honda reading out the names of the Sox starters with a fan talking to himself during the announcement. After GH, reads out C Lee, Valentin, Maggs, Thomas, and Buehrle, the fan says to himself, soak in this marketing genius here , "Hmmmm..... pretty much the same nucleus as last year." Too bad Gallas and Co. left out that it is this nucleus that has come up short the past 3 seasons. GH continues with reading out the names of Rowand, Harris, Crede, and Olivo when the fan ponders the meaning of life by asking himself something along the line of, "I wonder what the big difference is?" GH then announces, "And welcome back to USCF, the new manager of the Chicago White Sox, Ozzie Guillen!"

Is this the best Gallas and Co. can come up with in a city beseiged by all things Cubbie? Jesus Christ. This radio spot is so weak! FIRE GALLAS! He hasn't a clue how to market to the typical Sox fan or the casual baseball fan!

But hey, at least nobody said anything about, "make sure you bring your 'A' game."

I was gonna bring this up because I heard it for the first time yesterday. Another gem in the long saga of Sox commercials.

Keep up the good work boys.

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2004, 01:30 PM
And I there I was yesterday morning when I heard it for the first time rattling off all the names of players we lost since last season.

Colon, Sully, Gordon, Graffanino, Everett and Alomar...

Yeah, nothing's changed.

sas1974
03-09-2004, 01:34 PM
I must say that I have NEVER gone to a game just because the team had a funny manager.

I see where they are going w/ this...That Ozzie is going to spark that dead bunch from last year, but it's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

duke of dorwood
03-09-2004, 01:34 PM
I actually liked it better than that "This is White Sox baseball "stuff with the music in the backround

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
And I there I was yesterday morning when I heard it for the first time rattling off all the names of players we lost since last season.

Colon, Sully, Gordon, Graffanino, Everett and Alomar...

Yeah, nothing's changed.

yup...and when we get close, we'll have to TRADE more of our minor league talent to acquire a Pitcher like COLON, another 2b like Alomar, another multi-talented bench player like Tony Graffanino, a #5 starter........

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I will say this. it was Fairly Clever. for the record, there are 2 Fans supposedly getting ready to sit down in the "stands". One asks I wonder whose on the team .....thats when Gene is announcing all the players (gave me goosebumps getting ready for the season) and one says "Hmmmm, pretty much the same guys from last yr". What the other guy shoudlve said was "Yeah, and they Tried to Get Rid of Magglio, Frank Thomas, Carlos Lee ........"

Maximo
03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
The first time I heard it, I had a case of melancholia. I kept waiting for him to say......" number 72....Carlton Fisk.....number 19....Greg Luzinski.......number 42....Ron Kittle.......number 44.... Tom Paciorek.......

I guess you can't go home, again.

HURT35
03-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I liked the concept of the ad, that Ozzie and his mindset will make the difference to what is essentially the same team that didn't win last year (or the 2 before that) under Manuel. The problem is that it then made me focus again on the past on why didnt they fire Manuel in July 2002 when the team had quit on him, etc. and had a different mindset last year etc.

Then I took a deep breath, calmed down and enjoyed listening to Gene Honda's voice again and actually got fired up to hear him say, "No 35 Frank Thomas..."

At the end of the day, no matter what the ad said a number people would hate it.

I guess a good question would be, if you guys worked for the PR firm that the Sox use, how would you pitch the Sox on marketing 2004 (a realistic ad that they would use-without shots at the bastards up north etc)?

Its bad marketing to focus on the individuals that you lost or appologize about losing last year, keeping Manuel too long, so you focus on what is good about what you have while getting your point across "its going to be different because Ozzie will get these guys to play as a team etc..." This ad taps into the positives coming out of camp so far, all the focus has been on attitude.

Its better than solely marketing the things to do at the park etc, because while they are in competition with the minor league teams for family attendance, they lose that competion on a dollars and cents basis anyway.

At least no Jerry Manuel voice-overs.

Jerko
03-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I will say this. it was Fairly Clever. for the record, there are 2 Fans supposedly getting ready to sit down in the "stands". One asks I wonder whose on the team .....thats when Gene is announcing all the players (gave me goosebumps getting ready for the season) and one says "Hmmmm, pretty much the same guys from last yr". What the other guy shoudlve said was "Yeah, and they Tried to Get Rid of Magglio, Frank Thomas, Carlos Lee ........"

A SOX commercial produced by the SOX marketing department starts out with a SOX fan saying he "wonders who is on the team?" And we hate the Cub fans for what reason????? Even our own marketing department is taking shots at us now! A Sox fan WONDERING who is on the team. I have not heard it yet but now I'm pissed.

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
A SOX commercial produced by the SOX marketing department starts out with a SOX fan saying he "wonders who is on the team?" And we hate the Cub fans for what reason????? Even our own marketing department is taking shots at us now! A Sox fan WONDERING who is on the team. I have not heard it yet but now I'm pissed.

Good point. I never thought of that angle.

maurice
03-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
A SOX commercial produced by the SOX marketing department starts out with a SOX fan saying he "wonders who is on the team?" And we hate the Cub fans for what reason?????

Agreed. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (for no apparent reason) and suggest that the spot must be directed at casual fans. Sox marketing definitely should have focused on adding Ozzie and avoided the subject of roster change at all costs. When I heard the commercial this morning, my initial response was: "They forgot to mention the approximately 300 innings of good pitcher no longer on the team."

KingXerxes
03-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I heard this spot on the way to work yesterday, and it just sickens me. I'm all for trying to spin the fact that we've lost some pretty good ballplayers over the winter, but when they announce "Ozzie Guillen" and the fan says, "Hmmmmm they have changed." (or something to that effect) all they are doing if taking a backhanded swipe at Jerry Manuel.

We all had problems with Manuel - no doubt - but this message is coming from his previous employer. It's a lefthanded way of saying "Yeah - we didn't like him either!" and it stinks.

Again it's a very shortsighted move by this organization. You can't employ a manager for five years, stick with him through thick and thin (and believe me despite his shortcomings Manuel was never anything but a diplomat about his employer) and then - after you release him - take a shot at him. It's lowbrow and it stinks.

Sell the team Jerry.

pudge
03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
How pathetic... I agree with King's post... if Manuel was so bad, why WASN'T HE FIRED EARLIER?

Ugh, sickening.

Jerko
03-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Kind of makes it look like everybody knew Manuel was a problem all along but just didn't give enough of a damn to do anything about it during the season. Good thing for the Marlins their GM and owner didn't think that way.

batmanZoSo
03-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by HURT35
I liked the concept of the ad, that Ozzie and his mindset will make the difference to what is essentially the same team that didn't win last year (or the 2 before that) under Manuel. The problem is that it then made me focus again on the past on why didnt they fire Manuel in July 2002 when the team had quit on him, etc. and had a different mindset last year etc.

Then I took a deep breath, calmed down and enjoyed listening to Gene Honda's voice again and actually got fired up to hear him say, "No 35 Frank Thomas..."

At the end of the day, no matter what the ad said a number people would hate it.

I guess a good question would be, if you guys worked for the PR firm that the Sox use, how would you pitch the Sox on marketing 2004 (a realistic ad that they would use-without shots at the bastards up north etc)?

Its bad marketing to focus on the individuals that you lost or appologize about losing last year, keeping Manuel too long, so you focus on what is good about what you have while getting your point across "its going to be different because Ozzie will get these guys to play as a team etc..." This ad taps into the positives coming out of camp so far, all the focus has been on attitude.

Its better than solely marketing the things to do at the park etc, because while they are in competition with the minor league teams for family attendance, they lose that competion on a dollars and cents basis anyway.

At least no Jerry Manuel voice-overs.

I think it's a bad ad because it's aimed at keeping fans like us interested. They're saying "come on, we're still the same team, please come out."

We're not going anywhere, it's the casual fans they need to go after--people who don't know who Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand are will not be wooed by that commercial. They don't care about players, they care about having a good time. That's what the Sox need to sell.

KingXerxes
03-09-2004, 04:01 PM
It's the modus operandi of this organization.

2003 - "Jerry Manuel is great - he's our man"

Then, after Manuel is fired.

2004 - "Jerry Manuel was the reason we lost"

I'm telling you Ozzie Guillen had better turn out to be a success as a manager. This organization has - once again - put all its eggs in one basket by hiring him AND making him the focal point of the team. If I hear the word "fun" used anymore in describing how they're going to face the upcoming season I'm going to puke. "We're gonna have fun. It's all about fun. They had no fun last year" Enough already about fun. If you start the year 0 - 4 we'll see how much the entire fan base cares about fun.

hftrex
03-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I heard this spot on the way to work yesterday, and it just sickens me. I'm all for trying to spin the fact that we've lost some pretty good ballplayers over the winter, but when they announce "Ozzie Guillen" and the fan says, "Hmmmmm they have changed." (or something to that effect) all they are doing if taking a backhanded swipe at Jerry Manuel.

We all had problems with Manuel - no doubt - but this message is coming from his previous employer. It's a lefthanded way of saying "Yeah - we didn't like him either!" and it stinks.

Again it's a very shortsighted move by this organization. You can't employ a manager for five years, stick with him through thick and thin (and believe me despite his shortcomings Manuel was never anything but a diplomat about his employer) and then - after you release him - take a shot at him. It's lowbrow and it stinks.

Sell the team Jerry.

Don't you remember Hawk scapegoating Manuel for Harris's failure to hit last season at Soxfest? We're going to see a lot more of this badmouthing Manuel before the season's over.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Remember there were also times during the game when hawk actually questioned what was going on. best example...pitching Cotts instead of Buehrle. Hawk couldn't believe it and said so.

Lip

gosox41
03-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

I think the Sox marketing is rather weak too. But it brings up a good questions:

What would you do differently to market this team?

And I mean in terms of strictly advertising. Not offering more half price nights, etc. What kind of advertising would get you to think 'Hey, that's pretty cool' instead of the stuff we have going on now.

I used to love those ads in 1994 with Frank, Jordan, and McMahon but that obviously wouldn't apply today for many reasons.

I'd love to hear people's ideas.

Bob

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think the Sox marketing is rather weak too. But it brings up a good questions:

What would you do differently to market this team?

And I mean in terms of strictly advertising. Not offering more half price nights, etc. What kind of advertising would get you to think 'Hey, that's pretty cool' instead of the stuff we have going on now.

I used to love those ads in 1994 with Frank, Jordan, and McMahon but that obviously wouldn't apply today for many reasons.

I'd love to hear people's ideas.

Bob
The trick to being sucessful with marketing is.....PUT A GOOD, WINNING TEAM ON THE FIELD! The fans will come regardless of what the tv and radio ads say. The Cubs don't advertise at all, with the exception of the rare Wrigley Field commercial. I'm pretty sure the Yankees and the Red Sox don't advertise a lot on TV or radio also. The White Sox definately need to straighten things out. Why don't they ever recognize the former White Sox greats? I think it's pretty embarassing they got rid of all the retired numbers last year when the entire media was in town for the All Star Game.

Brian26
03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Remember there were also times during the game when hawk actually questioned what was going on. best example...pitching Cotts instead of Buehrle. Hawk couldn't believe it and said so.

Lip

I thought Hawk was the mouthpiece of the JR?

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 09:38 PM
When Hawk gets pushed over the edge he says what he feels. Unfortunately that doesn't happen enough.

Lip

ChiSox14305635
03-09-2004, 11:07 PM
I actually liked it. GH calling out the starting lineup in that familiar voice makes me pumped for the season. April 5 can't get here soon enough.

Rocklive99
03-09-2004, 11:27 PM
I like it, like others said, GH's voice gives goosebumps, and many players have said that something had been missing in the past, and it may have been Ozzie.

The commercial goes like this:
RH: And now, your 2004 Chicago White Sox
Fan: Alright, let's see what we got here
RH: Announce some players
Fan: Pretty much the key guys from last year
RH: More players
Fan: Yep, pretty much.
RH: Some more players
Fan: So, what's changed?
RH: And now welcome back, new White Sox manager, #13 Ozzie Guillen
Fan: Everything

shbart
03-09-2004, 11:35 PM
O.k. Bob, here's an idea for some pre-season spots. Get rights to a clip of the fake Steinbrenner from Seinfeld. Mock the Yanks. Show George Costanza hiding under his desk. Use a line like, "Money doesn't buy everything" and show the Marlins celebrating last year. Everyone can bond on hating the guy with the most money and it takes away from the anti-Cub theme that turns off the casual fan. It also appeals to the, if the Marlins can win, so can we attitude. Then have a time lapsed shot of the park with the sun rising and the construction going on. A voice over that says we're making improvements that fans want and then a slow dissolve to Ozzie and a tag line of "The land of Oz...where anything can happen" a super imposed Sox logo over Ozzie celebrating from '93... Then pull the damn spots before the end of April. Change the spots to positive park spots. Show all the physical changes and keep pushing that the Cell is a nice place to see a game. A lot of people who haven't been to the park don't know about the deck in Center or the planters in the outfield concourse or the amazing 300 level amenities. The Sox are fools for not hammering those images home. I also would try something like a series of spots that had a Cheers look using the Bullpen Bar, but with Sox players playing the familiar roles. People don't know what Joe Crede looks or sounds like. Use the damn spots to make your players more likeable!...o.k. I'm stopping for now...feedback?

ShoelessFred
03-10-2004, 03:04 AM
the sox really do have the WORST marketing team in baseball.

gosox41
03-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by shbart
O.k. Bob, here's an idea for some pre-season spots. Get rights to a clip of the fake Steinbrenner from Seinfeld. Mock the Yanks. Show George Costanza hiding under his desk. Use a line like, "Money doesn't buy everything" and show the Marlins celebrating last year. Everyone can bond on hating the guy with the most money and it takes away from the anti-Cub theme that turns off the casual fan. It also appeals to the, if the Marlins can win, so can we attitude. Then have a time lapsed shot of the park with the sun rising and the construction going on. A voice over that says we're making improvements that fans want and then a slow dissolve to Ozzie and a tag line of "The land of Oz...where anything can happen" a super imposed Sox logo over Ozzie celebrating from '93... Then pull the damn spots before the end of April. Change the spots to positive park spots. Show all the physical changes and keep pushing that the Cell is a nice place to see a game. A lot of people who haven't been to the park don't know about the deck in Center or the planters in the outfield concourse or the amazing 300 level amenities. The Sox are fools for not hammering those images home. I also would try something like a series of spots that had a Cheers look using the Bullpen Bar, but with Sox players playing the familiar roles. People don't know what Joe Crede looks or sounds like. Use the damn spots to make your players more likeable!...o.k. I'm stopping for now...feedback?

Acutally I like it. I wasn't sure where you were going at first with the Marlins/Yankees bit but it makes the Sox look postiive in a creative way instead of making them look cheap.

I also like 'The Land of Oz' idea and makrketing the park more. Too bad they don't market Shingo to the Japanese and the Hispanic stars more toward Chicago's being Hispanic community.

Bob

KingXerxes
03-10-2004, 10:28 AM
OK - While people are throwing out suggestions, here's mine:

The commercial opens up with Steam singing the "Na na na na" song. And for thirty seconds, with the song playing in the background, various exciting highlights are shown - with intermittant shots of excited fans. Not happy smiling fans mind you, but fans who are just going nuts over a big hit and the like. Then the commercial closes out as a White Sox logo fades in.

The White Sox marketing always seems to try and market something other than the baseball being played on the field. Shots of kissing fans, and smiling Jose Valentins, and dogs, and fireworks, and food ENOUGH ALREADY. Just focus on the baseball. Less is more. Figure it out Jerry. Instead we're going to be treated to a summer of Ozzie Guillen commercials, which - while having something to do with baseball - are simply trying to sell a personality and not a team and a sport.

wdelaney72
03-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Most of the Sox ads blow because you can tell they're trying too hard. Put a winning team on the field, and marketing will take care of itself.

I would recommend expanding half-price nights to Wednesdays and Thursdays. Those are the emptiest games of all. Besides, revenue from ticket prices is one of the smaller pieces of pie. Parking, concessions, and merchandise is where the real money comes in. All of those dramatically increase when the park is full.

Happy Felsch Fan
03-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Shbart,

I like your ideas alot. The Land of Oz is a real good one which would work for old and young alike.

The Sox do not take advantage of the fact that they are one of the oldest AL franchises either.

How about having some current sox stars walk out of a cornfield in the old sox uniforms. Then Ozzie comes out and asks Chariman Jerry or maybe Hawk for a game of catch. That would be hilarious beyond belief. The same bit in Spainish would raise the Hispanic attendance to the highest in the majors.

A parody of the Sienfield Boss bit, but instead use the voice of Chairman Jerry, and have Ozzie come in and ask for a job. This would be the talk of the major leagues and show that Jerry does not take himself too serious and would build repore with the fans.

The ideas are endless, but the sox marketing has been clueless for years.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Here's another one...remember the song "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzie?

How about working something around these lyrics.....

"The nights are getting warmer it won't be long, won't be long till Summer comes, now that the boys are here again. The boys are back in town, spread the word around..."

It would be a pefect piece wrapped around highlights of the Sox winning from last season. With a voice over saying something like 'the boys are back in town, why don't you join them for all the action out at remodled Comiskey Park. Call 000-0000 for tickets.'

That's the rough idea but it could be nicely finished.

Lip

Mickster
03-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Here's another one...remember the song "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzie?

"The nights are getting warmer it won't be long, won't be long till Summer comes, now that the boys are here again. The boys are back in town, spread the word around..."

It would be a pefect piece wrapped around highlights of the Sox winning from last season. With a voice over saying something like 'the boys are back in town, why don't you join them for all the action out at remodled Comiskey Park. Call 000-0000 for tickets.'

Lip

Actually a pretty good idea, Lip.

Daver
03-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Lip

They'd have to pay for the rights to use the music,it is not old enough to be in the public domain.

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Daver
They'd have to pay for the rights to use the music,it is not old enough to be in the public domain.

:reinsy

"Ixnay that idea. Paying to use music? HA!"

JohnJeter
03-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Plus, using that particular piece would just perpetuate the "Scorpions t-shirt, mullet-adorned, white-trash" image that Sox fans are unfairly saddled with.

Btw, is "white trash" considered politically incorrect?

gosox41
03-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
Most of the Sox ads blow because you can tell they're trying too hard. Put a winning team on the field, and marketing will take care of itself.

I would recommend expanding half-price nights to Wednesdays and Thursdays. Those are the emptiest games of all. Besides, revenue from ticket prices is one of the smaller pieces of pie. Parking, concessions, and merchandise is where the real money comes in. All of those dramatically increase when the park is full.

The Sox take in a ton more money in ticket revenue they they do parking. I'm not familiar enough with the concession deal, but my guess is concessions still fall behind ticket revenue.

Bob

CubKilla
03-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Plus, using that particular piece would just perpetuate the "Scorpions t-shirt, mullet-adorned, white-trash" image that Sox fans are unfairly saddled with.

Btw, is "white trash" considered politically incorrect?

I'd rather be stereotyped as a white trash fan that knows his baseball than an Old Style drinking frat boy that don't know **** about the team he's supposedly a diehard fan of.

And it is somewhat universal amongst national sportswriters when comparing fans of both Chicago baseball teams..... the White Sox have the better, more knowledgeable baseball fans.

joecrede
03-10-2004, 06:03 PM
The infamous "Kids Can Play" campaign was originally supposed to be "The Kids Are Alright" and use The Who's song with the same title. Pete Townshend refused to give them permission to use it though.

shbart
03-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Hap, I like your spots too...I think those would work . Good ideas about appealing to the Hispanic and Japanese communities. Lip, your spot could work, but I think it would be better coming off a playoff year (tempted to use teal). Anyone remember Thin Lizzy playing at Comiskey Park?...bonus points if you can name the complete line-up for the "Day in the Park" concert.

bc2k
03-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
The infamous "Kids Can Play" campaign was originally supposed to be "The Kids Are Alright" and use The Who's song with the same title. Pete Townshend refused to give them permission to use it though.

That must've been the first time Pete Townshend (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/01/14/uk.townshend/) turned down playing kids. :o:

mantis1212
03-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
That must've been the first time Pete Townshend (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/01/14/uk.townshend/) turned down playing kids. :o:

Hey-ohhhhh!!!

Dan H
03-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I finallly got a chance to hear this ad, and this was the dumbest thing the Sox have put in any media. They get confronted by angry fans at SoxFest because they do nothing in the off season and then run an ad about how they made only one real change. I like Guillen, but it will take more than that. How about trading some of the dead weight and send a real message? I am beginning to think that Sox fans like Richard Roeper who believe this team will win 90 are in the same la-la land as Cubbie fans.